Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-19 11:46 am

Post subject: Experience Morph With Ezuri
AgePosted: 2015-Dec-15 10:36 am 

As I close in on the target of having at least one deck of every single color combination (and colorless, at some point), I decided to have a second look into the Simic color combination. My history with Simic is one of simultaneous excitement and disgust. The color combination is chock full of dangerous combination and is one of the better decks for combo-control in Commander. I've built fairly competitive Edric, Spymaster of Trest and Prime Speaker Zegana decks before, but have long since taken them apart.

I love what the color combination is capable of, but I hate how easily broken it can get.

On a whim, I bought a single Ezuri, Claw of Progress in hopes I would find an appropriate place for it. At the time, I assumed it would end up finding a play in my Cube or something and forgotten about. Well, to finish off having a deck of every color combination, I would need to build a Simic deck--one I wouldn't mind playing and that other people would mind seeing periodically.

As I was thinking about another deck design, an idea which involved possibly using morph creatures, Ezuri suddenly came back to mind. Power 2 or less you say? These morph are all that very thing. WAIT A SECOND. I pulled every morph creature in U/G, some other cards I saw along the way, and BAM. New deck in a single night. Welcome to experiencing morph.

Decklist
Not all of the best morph creatures are here, but there still a whole lot of good ones.

Ainok Survivalist
Belltoll Dragon
Birchlore Rangers
Broodhatch Nantuko
Coral Trickster
Deathmist Raptor
Dulcet Sirens
Fathom Seer
Herdchaser Dragon
Hystrodon
Icefeather Aven
Kin-Tree Warden
Krosan Cloudscraper
Monastery Loremaster
Mystic of the Hidden Way
Primal Whisperer
Riptide Survivor
Salt Road Ambushers
Shaper Parasite
Silumgar Spell-Eater
Temur Charger
Thelonite Hermit
Unblinking Bleb
Voidmage Apprentice
Willbender

Mostly, Den Protector, Shorecrasher Elemental, and Stratus Dancer are missing from this list. I only have one of each of the Protector and Dancer, but they are being used already.
Chromeshell Crab, Hooded Hydra, Kheru Spellsnatcher, Mischievous Quanar, Raven Guild Master, and Vesuvan Shapeshifter are other obvious possibilities I will investigate as I become more familiar with the deck.

Arashin War Beast
Cloudform
Ethereal Ambush
Formless Nurturing
Reality Shift
Wildcall
Write into Being

There isn't much to say there. Ethereal Ambush helps out a lot to get more creatures onto the board. Once I have another Whisperwood Elemental it'll likely replace Arashin War Beast. I could add Lure effects to the deck to make Arashin better, but it'll be a possibility for later.

The potential for cards here is virtually endless. So many cards desire counters, but not all of those can fit into the deck. Here are what I thought were some of the best ones to receive the +1/+1 counters, and other to make more +1/+1 counters (or support the idea in some way).

Chasm Skulker--put +1/+1's on me please!
Cold-Eye Selkie--draw all the cards
Etched Oracle--and draw some more cards
Fathom Mage--and even more cards!
Glen Elendra Archmage--counter so many spells
Simic Manipulator--you didn't want your creature, right?
Wild Beastmaster--incredibly unfair

Bred for the Hunt--not enough cards, right?
Fable of Wolf and Owl--doesn't really work with morph, but it doesn't really matter as it produces a ridiculous amount of experience counters
Fungal Sprouting--doubles your experience counters or more frequently

None of these cards have underperformed so far.

Ramp, destroy stuff, reduce costs, and reuse effects mostly contained here.

Acidic Slime
Coiling Oracle
Dawntreader Elk
Edric, Spymaster of Trest--the card is stellar, don't get me wrong, but I'm still wary of using it
Elvish Skysweeper
Embodiment of Spring
Species Gorger
Temur Sabertooth

Arcane Denial
Counterspell
Dream Fracture
Simic Charm

Dream Chisel
Ixidron
Obscuring Aether
Secret Plans
Trail of Mystery

The deck is notably counter spell light. I might end up putting more of the effects into the deck as I find cards underperforming.

There are forty lands in the deck exactly, so the basic lands are currently split down the middle in terms of color. And yes, I know there are better lands, but these are just what I had on hand when I built this deck in a single night. Better lands are likely to happen after I determine nonland deck changes.

Breeding Pool
Dryad Arbor
Encroaching Wastes
Evolving Wilds
Foundry of the Consuls
Haunted Fengraf
Reliquary Tower
Simic Guildgate
Terramophic Expanse
Thornwood Falls
Yavimaya Coast

Just about every time I think about this deck, I go back to double check that Ezuri's ability doesn't have extra stipulations on getting experience counters outside of the power 2 or less--as in non-token or something. Every time I look at it I'm again surprised they didn't.

There's probably a bunch of cards I'm missing, but like I've said before, this deck is still quite thrown together. I'm not used to the morph aspect of the deck, and inevitably just throw creatures out onto the battlefield instead of sitting back every once in a while to flip creatures and get their effects. The number of cards which play well with Ezuri is likely astronomical, so I'm just trying out these cards for now.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Experience Morph With Ezuri
AgePosted: 2015-Dec-15 1:29 pm 

How about some of these for support:

Battlefront Krushok - Won't trigger experience counter, but extra blocking power
Longshot Squad - Again no trigger, but reach
Sapphire Drake - No trigger, but evasion
Sunbringer's Touch - Beefy cards go stomp
Tuskguard Captain - Experience counter ... plus trample
Crowned Ceratok - If you want a bigger body attached to the trample

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-15 2:35 pm 

Forgotten Ancient. Aside from meeting the criteria for experience triggers, you can pile counters on him from Ezuri and then re-distribute them as you see fit on your next upkeep.

Triskelion or even better, Pentavus could be excellent here.

As for morphs, Thousand Winds is a powerful card, and worth a look. Weaver of Lies is a go-to for re-setting your unmorph triggers, and Vesuvan Shapeshifter is just amazing.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-15 10:06 pm 

Thanks for replying!

AutoXCivic, those creatures are good if I thought I'd have a bunch of creatures on the battlefield with +1/+1 counters, but that's not what I've seen from play testing so far (with the exception of Sapphire Drake, but I just don't know if it does enough compared to other cards in the deck). Bramblewood Paragon is probably what I'd use to give my creatures trample, but I actually passed on it while building the deck. The Paragon still might make it in, but I'm waiting on a 'real' test of the deck.

Sid, I really like Forgotten Ancient, and had honestly forgotten about it. It is a little annoying that I'd be getting Ezuri counters on my combat, and then have to wait a full turn cycle before I'd get to see those counters have any effect on the board. I'm wondering if that's giving my opponents too much time to react. I'm planning on getting a game in with the deck on Thursday, so afterwards I'll see if there's a good spot for Triskelion. There isn't much ramp in the deck at all--which is sort of unnatural for Simic colors--so it can take quite a while to get to a high enough land count for high-costed cards.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-16 11:03 am 

So I came up with some more cards I should consider, and also picked out what cards I of the ones suggested. These are going to be cards I consider after playing it tomorrow.

Forgotten Ancient, Triskelion, and Bramblewood Paragon are the ones suggested above that I had on hand (and easily found).

Bloodspore Thrinax--it invalidates getting more experience counters from creatures entering the battlefield, but a couple rounds of pumping this Thrinax and I won't care. It does what Forgotten Ancient does, except better in some ways.

Mycoloth--doesn't give an experience counter when it enters, but quickly gives a ton of them.

Hornet Nest--this produces tokens which I find very appealing. I'm less certain about it though than some of these other ones.

Fertilid--ramp is important, and I may consider more of it with this one.

I've also missed Champion of Lambholt, but I'm hoping there's a free one somewhere in my collection. It trumps trample every time. Master Biomancer is sort of a third copy of the Forgotten Ancient effect; unfortunately, I don't have one available right now. Oh well.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-16 2:19 pm 

If you can, give the Pentavus a try too. It basically says "2: Prevent all combat damage target creature without trample would deal this turn. Gain an experience counter. Play this ability up to 4 times each turn."

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-19 2:49 am 

Slick looking deck. A couple of minor suggestions for your support cards:

Mystic Snake seems like it should have a home in the counter spell lineup.

Sakura-Tribe Elder seems straight up better than Dawntreader Elk. That being stated I'd consider running both since even late game when ramp isn't as important they're still providing experience counters.

Khalni Garden May be worth an inclusion since you don't have many lands the ETB tapped.

Finally, Zamek Guildmage, Mindless Automaton, and Sage of Fables all seem like good draw engines for the deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-19 10:29 pm 

Thank you!

I thought about Mystic Snake, but I didn't see one while going through my cards unfortunately. It's one I'll consider getting if I decide I really need to buy cards for the deck.

Embodiment of Spring has a similar effect to Sakura-Tribe Elder and Dawntreader Elk, and I'm running that also. Elder probably does do better in one or both of their spots, but in most cases it won't matter as much. Fertilid will like get a space first, for being able to ramp more than once.

Khalni Garden will make it in once I remember where I put all of the ones I have. :x

And I'm actually not itching for more card draw in this deck currently. The ones I have right now have done quite well. Yeah, I could probably do with one more or so, and in that case I'll probably pick Sage of Fables over Zameck and Automaton, if only because its activation is colorless and I can take a counter off of any creature I control (also, Automaton's ability is two counters per card versus one counter per card). I actually passed over Sage of Fables multiple times while building the deck and getting out cards for the next switcheroo.

I didn't get to test this deck out in a real game yet, unfortunately. Once I do, I'll post something about it here.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-24 1:09 pm 

Okay, so I played the deck, and despite not drawing more than six lands--no, seriously, I drew ten extra cards off of Fathom Mage without hitting a land. Worst of luck sometimes.

Still won the game, though. Simic Manipulator absolutely has to be taken out before the round ends. Untapping with it won me the game. I stole a Balefire Dragon, Ruric Thar, and Spearbreaker Behemoth throughout the game.

Anyway, the changes I'm making:
-Riptide Survivor
-Coiling Oracle
-Elvish Skysweeper
-Forest
-Island

+Hornet Nest
+Forgotten Ancient
+Bloodspore Thrinax
+Bramblewood Paragon
+Fertilid

Yes, I complained about not drawing lands and now I'm taking a couple out. I'm convinced I was just really unlucky last game.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-13 7:43 pm 

Zoetic Cavern?
It's a mix between ramp & triggers. Play morphed the turn you play a land, trigger Experience, morph it into a land : You've just played a second land for the turn. It's also a decent one(shot blocker against a ground creature without trample.

About the only thing I'd add is an effect to blink out your non-morph creatures once Ixidron has done his thing. I love Ixidron but there's always one non-morph guy yu'd prefer to have face up.

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-14 12:40 pm 

zimagic wrote:
Zoetic Cavern?
It's a mix between ramp & triggers. Play morphed the turn you play a land, trigger Experience, morph it into a land : You've just played a second land for the turn. It's also a decent one(shot blocker against a ground creature without trample.

About the only thing I'd add is an effect to blink out your non-morph creatures once Ixidron has done his thing. I love Ixidron but there's always one non-morph guy yu'd prefer to have face up.

I meant to look for it again, but didn't end up getting around to it. I'll have to try again.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-28 6:56 am 

Needs more Ixidor, Reality Sculptor. He pumps your morphs, flips them for cheap and can unmorph your manifest stuff that isn't a creature. I really like this deck idea and my convert my old broken Ixidor deck into something like this.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-28 4:12 pm 

Ixidor pumps your morphs - and those in turn won't trigger Ezuri anymore.

Playing Ixi invalidates Ezi.

Generals:
too many, and always changing... except:

Rakdos, Lord of Riots (Demon Tribal)
Melek, Izzet Paragon (Dragonstorm) -> these must stay because of a house rule

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-28 7:21 pm 

Thor_Naadoh wrote:

But you're not going to have him on the board from the start of the game and most morphs he pumps will have already triggered Ezuri. He also gives you the ability to flip non-morph Ixidron-ized creatures (though not if he himself is face down)

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Jan-28 9:52 pm 

zimagic wrote:
Thor_Naadoh wrote:

But you're not going to have him on the board from the start of the game and most morphs he pumps will have already triggered Ezuri. He also gives you the ability to flip non-morph Ixidron-ized creatures (though not if he himself is face down)

True, but if you were looking to flip non-morph creatures (or manifested non-creatures), you might think about running some of the Ghostly Flicker-style, blink-effect cards. (I'd say this could be a deck where you could legit run Dead-eye Navigator without feeling like a jerk, but DEN + Ixidron is kind of filthy).

Offline Profile