Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-12 11:57 pm

Post subject: Trostani, Selesnya's Voice
AgePosted: 2015-Dec-03 11:27 am 

When Return to Ravnica was released Segrus and I were still playing some standard so we chose to go to the prerelease on September 29-30, 2012 and I chose the Selesnya guild because I love creatures and I'm not very good at designing any other decks. After the release I told Segrus I wanted to make her a Commander for an EDH deck. Since then we have changed several cards out for others that worked better for what we wanted, but since we made it in 2012 this has been our longest running EDH deck. So I hope you enjoy it.

Command
Trostani, Selesnya's Voice

Planeswalker
Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
Garruk Wildspeaker
Freyalise, Llanowar's Fury

Creatures
Wayfaring Temple
Oracle of Mul Daya
Eternal Dragon
Weathered Wayfarer
Acidic Slime
Silverblade Paladin
Desolation Twin
Avacyn's Pilgrim
Kazandu Tuskcaller
Birds of Paradise
Mentor of the Meek
Rhys the Redeemed
Emeria Shepherd
Sakura-Tribe Elder
Armada Wurm
Yavimaya Elder
Primordial Hydra
Qasali Pridemage
Regal Force
Seedborn Muse
Worldspine Wurm
Forgotten Ancient

Enchantments
Angelic Accord
Oblivion Ring
Sacred Mesa
Primeval Bounty
Spidersilk Armor
Asceticism
Parallel Lives
Awakening Zone
Luminarch Ascension
From Beyond
Cathars' Crusade
Beastmaster Ascension
Doubling Season
Privileged Position
Grasp of Fate
Elemental Bond

Artifacts
Skullclamp
Akroma's Memorial
Sol Ring
Blade of Selves
Tormod's Crypt
Emerald Medallion
Eldrazi Monument
Aligned Hedron Network
Mimic Vat

Instants
Sundering Growth
Swords to Plowshares
Advent of the Wurm
White Sun's Zenith
Secure the Wastes

Sorceries
Regrowth
Boundless Realms
Gift of Estates
Planar Outburst
Day of Judgment
Devout Invocation

Lands
Springjack Pasture
Windswept Heath
Gavony Township
Windbrisk Heights
Mosswort Bridge
Temple Garden
Canopy Vista
Krosan Verge
Sunpetal Grove
Grasslands
Rogue's Passage
Grove of the Guardian

Plains x11
Forest x14

Tokens
Elemetal {g}{w} 8/8
Wurm {g} 5/5
Elf Druid {g} 1/1
Elf Warrior {g}{w} 1/1
Elephant{g} 3/3
Beast{g} 3/3
Knight Ally{w} 2/2
Pegasus{w} 1/1
Human{w} 1/1
Cat{w} 2/2
Angel{w} 4/4
Warrior{w} 1/1
Soldier{w} 1/1
Goat{w} 0/1
Eldrazi{C} 10/10
Eldrazi Spawn{C} 0/1
Eldrazi Scion{C} 1/1

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Trostani, Selesnya's Voice
AgePosted: 2015-Dec-03 11:50 am 

Vitu-Ghazi Guildmage seems like it'd be good.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-03 11:56 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Vitu-Ghazi Guildmage seems like it'd be good.

I actually had it in there at one point, but when I got her out I never ended up spending the mana for any of her abilities because I always had something else I was using it for. So I decided to take her out for a little more removal.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-03 3:05 pm 

Gurgi wrote:
I decided to take her out for a little more removal.

On that subject... have you considered Hour of Reckoning?

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-03 4:19 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Gurgi wrote:
I decided to take her out for a little more removal.

On that subject... have you considered Hour of Reckoning?

No because we don't own any, but will keep it mind next time we buy cards.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-04 7:47 am 

You're forgetting Primal Vigor! (unless you cut it for a meta decision)

Some other walkers would be good. Ajani, Mentor of Heroes comes to mind because you have ~41 targets for his card draw ability. And of course, +3+3 is almost never bad.

Sterling Grove is probably good enough.

I don't like Elemental Bond in your list very much. You have, i think, 7 creatures who are printed with 3+ power (2 of which bring down a second 3+, and one of which brings three 3+), and two creatures who only [i]may[/card] have power 3+ (although, they probably will), 2 non-creatures that only once will make a 3+, and 2 that, depending on if the condition is met, can do so every turn.
I don't think that's enough, personally, without hitting the lottery on Armada, Desolation, or Worldspine. Unless you draw 5+ cards, i think the 'get it now' nature of Harmonize is better.
Depending on who play against and on how long games go, Triumph of Ferocity could draw you a similar amount of cards but possibly more consistently.
I just prefer Elemental Bond in something much more 'big matters' than in a primarily token deck.

On the topic of drawing, you may try Well of Lost Dreams since your commander gains you life.

You may also want to Martial Coup. I think it has the potential to be big.

Are you able to use Luminarch Ascension effectively?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-04 9:14 am 

You might want to pack some extra enchantment removal. In my meta, Trostani decks practically died off after Tainted Remedy became a thing. I'm not sure how you feel about Aura Shards, as that card usually creates some rather strong opinions, but an extra Krosan Grip or a Slice in Twain probably wouldn't hurt.

In this deck, I think I'd rather run Garruk, Primal Hunter over Wildspeaker. He makes tokens as a plus instead of a minus and can draw you a decent amount of cards in a pinch. Personally I don't really think you need the mana acceleration off Wildspeaker, and if you want to use him for Overrun, then you should probably just run Overrun.

Heliod, God of the Sun, Mobilization, and Captain of the Watch have all worked really well for me whenever I ran them in token decks. Roar of the Wurm and Crush of Wurms are also decent and fun. Storm Herd is brutal in Trostani, effectively doubling your life total, and it can win you the game with a handful of buffs and a haste machine. Granted though, in W/G your haste engines are pretty much limited to Concordant Crossroads and Akroma's Memorial.

Not sure if you want to go Anthem Crazy or not, but Intangible Virtue will give you a decent enough boost and keep your defenses up. If you care more about the Vigilance than the buff, Brave the Sands is a decent alternative.

Mikaeus, the Lunarch is underrated in Token Decks.

Bladewing the Risen - MTG: Blood Dragon - OST by Powerglove
Dosan the Falling Leaf - Mono-Green Accelerator
Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter - Feed it to Vish
Toshiro Umezawa - Budget Creatureless
Prossh, Skyraider of Kher - Combo Jund
Marath, Will of the Wild - Beast-Mode Tribal
Scion of the Ur-Dragon - Mortal Combat Dredge
Kamahl & Jeska - Tag Team Voltron

Last edited by Zirilan of the Claw on 2015-Dec-04 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-04 9:23 am 

Sovarius wrote:
You're forgetting Primal Vigor! (unless you cut it for a meta decision)

Some other walkers would be good. Ajani, Mentor of Heroes comes to mind because you have ~41 targets for his card draw ability. And of course, +3+3 is almost never bad.

Sterling Grove is probably good enough.

I don't like Elemental Bond in your list very much. You have, i think, 7 creatures who are printed with 3+ power (2 of which bring down a second 3+, and one of which brings three 3+), and two creatures who only [i]may[/card] have power 3+ (although, they probably will), 2 non-creatures that only once will make a 3+, and 2 that, depending on if the condition is met, can do so every turn.
I don't think that's enough, personally, without hitting the lottery on Armada, Desolation, or Worldspine. Unless you draw 5+ cards, i think the 'get it now' nature of Harmonize is better.
Depending on who play against and on how long games go, Triumph of Ferocity could draw you a similar amount of cards but possibly more consistently.
I just prefer Elemental Bond in something much more 'big matters' than in a primarily token deck.

On the topic of drawing, you may try Well of Lost Dreams since your commander gains you life.

You may also want to Martial Coup. I think it has the potential to be big.

Are you able to use Luminarch Ascension effectively?

I have not had very much luck with symmetrical effects and almost every game I play at least one other player has some kind of tokens even if it's not the main purpose of their deck so I will be sticking with doubling season.

As for Elemental Bond I really enjoy it and I have actually almost milled myself with it several times. It is in there to get one or two extra cards consistently because I have several cards that make 3/3 tokens that I can populate with Trostani every turn. Also I'm not always drawing cards to get something to play right then, a lot of times it is most helpful in giving me options to rebuild my field after a wrath effect, which is something that happens almost every game with Trostani. Triumph of Ferocity relies on me having to have the biggest which isn't always a guaranty and having the biggest creature tends to make you more of a target.

Martial Coup has been considered but has never made the cut because there are other cards I would rather have. Martial Coup is a wrath and I am content with the ones I have and don't desire adding more because I don't particularly care about wrathing regularly.

I have fanominal luck with Luminarch Ascension I am really good at getting it out early and if I don't I tend to have enough protection out in the later game that I still get to use its effect.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-04 9:49 am 

Zirilan of the Claw wrote:
You might want to pack some extra enchantment removal. In my meta, Trostani decks practically died off after Tainted Remedy became a thing. I'm not sure how you feel about Aura Shards, as that card usually creates some rather strong opinions, but an extra Krosan Grip or a Slice in Twain probably wouldn't hurt.

In this deck, I think I'd rather run Garruk, Primal Hunter over Wildspeaker. He makes tokens as a plus instead of a minus and can draw you a decent amount of cards in a pinch. Personally I don't really think you need the mana acceleration off Wildspeaker, and if you want to use him for Overrun, then you should probably just run Overrun.

Heliod, God of the Sun, Mobilize, and Captain of the Watch have all worked really well for me whenever I ran them in token decks. Roar of the Wurm and Crush of Wurms are also decent and fun. Storm Herd is brutal in Trostani, effectively doubling your life total, and it can win you the game with a handful of buffs and a haste machine. Granted though, in W/G your haste engines are pretty much limited to Concordant Crossroads and Akroma's Memorial.

Not sure if you want to go Anthem Crazy or not, but Intangible Virtue will give you a decent enough boost and keep your defenses up. If you care more about the Vigilance than the buff, Brave the Sands is a decent alternative.

Mikaeus, the Lunarch is underrated in Token Decks.

Tainted Remedy is not something we have encountered in our meta so currently I am happy with the amount of enchantment removal. If it is something that changes I will keep your suggestions in mind.

Yes Garruk, Primal Hunter would be better over Wildspeaker but we only own a couple and they currently are in other decks or the cube at the moment, but if one ever frees up or we end up getting another it will most likely be added.

I don't really like the god cards. Mobilize was in there but it was taken out for sacred mesa. Captain of the Watch, Roar of the Wurm, and Crush of the Wurms are all good but currently I don't think I want to add them but that could always change in the future. Storm Herd is pretty high cost and generally I find there are other things I rather be casting/doing with that mana. I had Concordant Crossroads in early on and didn't like it.

I don't really want Trostani to be Anthem Crazy I enjoy having a variety of tokens.

Mikaeus is defiantly good in token decks and I actually think he was considered at one point but I opted for something else at the time, maybe someday he will make the cut.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-04 9:54 am 

Gurgi wrote:
I have not had very much luck with symmetrical effects and almost every game I play at least one other player has some kind of tokens even if it's not the main purpose of their deck so I will be sticking with doubling season.

That is reasonable but when you are able to break symmetry it still tends to be worthwhile. Another deck MAY benefit from it but clearly you will benefit from it most which breaks the symmetry while being a bit more political in nature. Doubling Season tends to be kill on sight if you have removal in hand. Primal Vigor isn't quite has high up on the list since it doesn't break Planeswalkers and does benefit the entire table.

Also, more than once I've seen DS cloned or stolen so that another player can break it with their walkers... That won't quite happen with Primal Vigor and if someone does copy it, it STILL benefits you more. With that said, Doubling Season and Parallel Lives are generally "good enough" for the redundancy of the effect. The inclusion of Vigor should be entirely meta and playstyle driven.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-04 10:21 am 

I just like Vigor because of the redundancy. Suture Priest can keep them in check, and breaks up that symmetry.

You could try Enlightened Tutor and such spells if you aren't finding DS and need to.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-05 12:18 am 

Epsilon wrote:
Gurgi wrote:

That is reasonable but when you are able to break symmetry it still tends to be worthwhile. Another deck MAY benefit from it but clearly you will benefit from it most which breaks the symmetry while being a bit more political in nature. Doubling Season tends to be kill on sight if you have removal in hand. Primal Vigor isn't quite has high up on the list since it doesn't break Planeswalkers and does benefit the entire table.

Also, more than once I've seen DS cloned or stolen so that another player can break it with their walkers... That won't quite happen with Primal Vigor and if someone does copy it, it STILL benefits you more. With that said, Doubling Season and Parallel Lives are generally "good enough" for the redundancy of the effect. The inclusion of Vigor should be entirely meta and playstyle driven.

True when you are able to consistently break symmetry, which never seems to end up being the case for me. Just like Coat of Arms, it always seems to be a great idea until you lose from it. I've seen this deck lose more than a few times from its own Concordant Crossroads, which is why Gurgi wanted it pulled.

Offline Profile