Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Aug-25 6:31 am

Post subject: Jeleva, Eldrazi Queen
AgePosted: 2015-Dec-06 4:47 am 

This is based on a cute concept someone brought up somewhere--and if I ever recall where, I'll give the player credit here--of using Jeleva's ability to put cards into exile for the Eldrazi to return. This way you don't have to rely solely on the Ingest ability or some other devious means of exiling; Jeleva just does it naturally, and conveniently in the dead zone between cheap eldrazi and big eldrazi.

Deck Goal
Make an Eldrazi tribal deck people won't hate every time they see it.

Commander
Jeleva, Nephalia's Scourge

Big Eldrazi
Artisan of Kozilek--foil FNM
Conduit of Ruin
Deceiver of Form
Desolation Twin
Dread Defiler
Endbringer
It The Betrays
Kozilek, Butcher of Truth--foil
Oblivion Sower--foil
Pathrazer of Ulamog--foil promotional
Sire of Stagnation--foil
Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
Void Winnower

Small Eldrazi
Barrage Tyrant
Benthic Infiltrator
Deepfathom Skulker
Dimensional Infiltrator
Eldrazi Mimic
Fathom Feeder
Forerunner of Slaughter
Mindmelter
Murk Strider--foil
Oracle of Dust
Prophet of Distortion
Rapacious One
Ruination Guide
Ulamog's Nullifier
Vile Aggregate--foil
Wasteland Strangler

Mana Eldrazi
Blight Herder
Herald of Kozilek
Incubator Drone--foil
Kozilek's Channeler--foil

Artifacts
Armillary Sphere
Dimir Signet
Dreamstone Hedron
Hedron Archive
Izzet Signet
Lightning Greaves
Rakdos Signet
Swiftfoot Boots
Wayfarer's Bauble

Enchantments
Caverns of Despair
Heartless Summoning--foil

Instants
Consume the Meek
Grave Birthing--foil
Titan's Presence

Sorceries
Clone Legion
Cruel Ultimatum
Devastation Tide
Disaster Radius
Mind's Desire
Necromantic Selection
Plague Wind
Syphon Mind
Twisted Justice
[card]Ugin's Insight

Non Basic Lands
Bojuka Bog
Crumbling Necropolis
Crystal Vein
Darkslick Shores
Evolving Wilds
Ghost Quarter
Mage-Ring Network
Molten Slagheap
Rocky Tar Pit
Sanctum of Ugin
Shrine of the Forsaken Gods
Steam Vents
Terramorphic Expanse
Underground River
Urza's Mine
Urza's Power Plant
Urza's Tower

First off, this deck is almost very literally thrown together currently.

Note the many, many missing good Eldrazi cards. I off-loaded stuff like Eldrazi Temple and Eye of Ugin well before this set came out, so I'll have to get another of each. Temple of the False God would also be good, and I'll be looking into my other decks to see if a switch can be made.

Anyway, I've played a game with this deck already, and it actually isn't too bad so far. I played Eldrazi Conscription turn 9 or 10 on Jeleva, and then promptly died next turn to tons of goblins. What I'm saying is I believe it is fair in its current form.

I'm sticking away from too much fast mana or cheating creatures into play if I can help it, but some amount of ramp is required.

Last edited by Segrus on 2016-Jan-30 4:52 am, edited 4 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Jeleva, Eldrazi Queen
AgePosted: 2015-Dec-06 5:03 am 

Okay, so I knew I was missing some Eldrazi from the latest Zendikar set, and I managed to find them.

Ulamog's Nullifier--definitely going in somewhere
Herald of Kozilek--definitely going in somewhere
Forerunner of Slaughter--probably going in
Titan's Presence--probably going in
Eldrazi Devastator--don't think I need it
Deathless Behemoth--would be cool if the deck made more Scions, but right now not likely
Bane of Bala Ged--yeah, only going in if I remove another Annihilator source

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-06 5:53 am 

I've played a lot of Jeleva, there's a decklist in my sig. I see your build is totally different; but there's a few things that are pretty good with Jeleva that I suggest:

strionic resonator
stolen identity
sensei's top / scroll rack

also your one reanimation spell is one that uniquely does nothing if cast off Jeleva. You could replace that with literally anything else and it'd be better. :)

Boardwipes and bounce are also really good with Jeleva, cause you get to recast her.

Rise of the Dark Realms looks good with the big eldrazi that could wind up in the yard.

Glint-Eye Nephilim (combat tricks, card draw, & creature pump)
Oloro Upkeep Tribal (enchantment-based control)
and more:Decklists

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-06 6:19 am 

Well, the point isn't necessarily to make the best Jeleva deck, but to make Eldrazi tribal playable and interesting enough not to get hated out all the time. So I'm not necessarily looking to find all of the best cards for Jeleva to target, etc.

That being said, I'm not necessarily opposed to some better cards either. At the moment, I wanted to see how good Jeleva's ability would just for exiling stuff for Eldrazi abilities. It works quite well, to be honest.

I'll keep the suggestions in mind, and also take a look at your sig once I have a chance. Thanks for the thoughts on Jeleva cards though.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-06 9:39 am 

Well, that's why I didn't go into the whole jeleva shebang.

But, really the reason I posted was to highlight strionic resonator. It doubles Jeleva's ETB exile ability, then it also doubles her on-attack cast ability. It's the perfect card for her, and it's probably the only card that's going to substantially increase the amount of crap you exile, which, if I understand it right, is like half the point of your deck.

Glint-Eye Nephilim (combat tricks, card draw, & creature pump)
Oloro Upkeep Tribal (enchantment-based control)
and more:Decklists

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-06 10:24 am 

I've been going through cards, which has been made 100 times easier since we went through cards and organized them again. Unfortunately, no extra Strionic Resonators. I'll look through what decks are currently harboring them and see it a switch is possible. Until then...

-Emrakul's Hatcher
-Eldrazi Conscription
-Gemstone Array
-Basalt Monolith
-Cryptic Cruiser
-Molten Nursery
-Pyxis of Pandemonium
-Nettle Drone
-Mind's Desire
-Semblance Anvil

+Herald of Kozilek
+Ulamog's Nullifier
+Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
+Heartless Summoning
+Forerunner of Slaughter
+Titan's Presence
+Syphon Mind
+Consume the Meek
+Ugin's Insight
+Cruel Ultimatum

I've rethought some of the cards. I've added a couple more instant/sorcery business for Jeleva, but also just to get some more draw into the deck. Heartless Summoning doesn't work with Scion tokens, but Summoning will do much more work over time. Consume the Meek also kills my tokens, but I need some kind of board wipe. I'm just hoping that by replacing Conscription with Kozilek, I won't have changed the power level of the deck too much. I am sad to see Conscription go though...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-06 7:27 pm 

having played against this deck, i can say its a very interesting take on a general i usually hate (bull shit value town generals that just need to be cast and swing for a much to easy win IMO are not fun, i hold this think in the same realms as Narset) but this version was very fun. As Jeleva's usually broken/overwhelming ability is not the focus, and therefore, makes the deck a better mutliplayer fun deck, rather than me wanting to throttle the player playing it! haha.

You could also run Oona, Queen of the Fae if it doesn't hurt your theme too much. I mean a vampire ruling Eldrazi? Surely we can squeeze in everyone's favourite exiling faerie too?! It gets more stuff for you to put back, is an amazing mana sink, and is a very viable alternate win con. The ramp will help her too.

As for the Kozilek change, having changed my mono brown from Kozi to Newlamog, i can tell you Kozi is way more powerful just because, cards. Plus the annihilator is back breaking. That being said, he hasn't got trample, and he costs more, and doesn't fly (unlike your general who has the conscription on her at times) so i think it should be pretty similar, plus kozi costs more to case so theres that too. And he can't general damage anyone either! Should be ok tbh

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-06 10:41 pm 

Thanks maiden! I was hoping for that. I'm thinking the switch with Conscription and Kozilek will actually be good, as then Jeleva can't become as much of a problem as she could with Conscription.

But I will have to disagree with you on Oona. There's a very special thematic element in running Jeleva: she's a vampire. We know that the vampires on Zendikar have a big problem with Eldrazi in that they frequently get taken control of (see Carrier Thrall and Pawn of Ulamog). I'm calling her 'queen,' only because that's what she might call herself as she hands her own vampire kin over to the Eldrazi to be taken over. She's not actually ruling over the Eldrazi (notice her ability only serves the Eldrazi instead of manipulating it), she's just arrogant enough to see herself as a queen of the Eldrazi. We don't currently have any faeries on Zendikar, which would make Oona sort of an odd duck.

Mechanically speaking though, do I really need another mana sink whenever I already have freaking Eldrazi?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-06 11:24 pm 

well yeah lol, if you don't draw eldrazi, or they rightly meet untimely utter ends i figure it would have been cool having an alternate win :wink: . I knew you would turn down the Oona plan, but i thought I would bring it up anyway! haha

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile