Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-08 12:15 am

Post subject: Greedy Karlov
AgePosted: 2015-Nov-15 11:14 am 

I have built a new deck with Karlov of the Ghost Council

I usually do not do combos in EDH because it is hard to get 2-3 cards in a game without doing extensive tutoring. However this combo can be done with any 3 cards from the sections (i.e. you need something from column a, b, and c.)

Column A (stuff that targets a lot)
Nomads en-Kor
Shaman en-Kor
Warrior en-Kor
Lightning Greaves
Outrider en-Kor
Spirit en-Kor
Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter (doesn't need counters)

Column B (the targets)
Angelic Protector
Task Force
Daru Spiritualist

Column C (the sac outlets)
Animal Boneyard
Worthy Cause
Diamond Valley
Miren, the Moaning Well

Now this combo wont win the game by itself, but you can get as much life as you want, so you only need to worry about general damage, infect, milling, and alternate win conditions. I find that I am often the archenemy, so I might as well play a deck that can withstand 3-4 people focusing on me.

So what do you think? Did I miss something important? are there any other pieces to the combo I forgot?

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Greedy Karlov
AgePosted: 2015-Nov-15 12:48 pm 

Righteous Aura. For W and 2 Life prevent any commander or infect damage done. Does not target, so Narset et al are no problem. Maybe Safeguard as a backup, though it targets and is more mana intensive. Safeguard always falls by the wayside for me, anyway.

Definitely Maze of Ith and Kor Haven, in addition to MysMaze.
Thespian's Stage if you like overkill.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-15 12:56 pm 

Spectrar Ghost wrote:
Righteous Aura. For W and 2 Life prevent any commander or infect damage done. Does not target, so Narset et al are no problem. Maybe Safeguard as a backup, though it targets and is more mana intensive. Safeguard always falls by the wayside for me, anyway.

Thanks! I definitely need to put in Righteous Aura. My mana base is already pretty full of lands that don't tap for either color. What should I cut?

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-15 5:17 pm 

Inkeyes22 wrote:
Spectrar Ghost wrote:

Thanks! I definitely need to put in Righteous Aura. My mana base is already pretty full of lands that don't tap for either color. What should I cut?

That's a harder question. Will Vish Kal be useful with Karl at the helm? It seems Karl would be most of the creature removal you'd need.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-27 12:18 pm 

Spectrar Ghost wrote:
Inkeyes22 wrote:
Spectrar Ghost wrote:

That's a harder question. Will Vish Kal be useful with Karl at the helm? It seems Karl would be most of the creature removal you'd need.

I have yet to remove counters from Karlov, usually I can just beat them down, or it isn't worth removing them.

So I have played 7 games so far, and Karl has won each one. This is a little more powerful than I wanted. When I asked my opponents, they thought they were fun games because I can win several different ways, except game 3.

Game three I dropped turn 3 Ghostly Prison, turn 4 Blind Obedience, Turn 5 Sphere of Safety, turn 6 Pontiff of Blight.That was some serious pillowfort, and I ended up doing enough damage through extort to kill everybody.

So I might take out Vish Kal and the pillowfort for Soul's Attendant, Auriok Champion, Soul Warden.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-28 3:26 pm 

Do you like Felidar Sovereign and Test of Endurance? If you already have combos for infinite life i don't see the problem with these.

[cad]Well of Lost Dreams[/card] for solid card draw.

Offline Profile