Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-15 9:30 am

Post subject: Oloro Upkeep Tribal Enchantments
AgePosted: 2015-Nov-23 8:05 am 

I wanted to share this decklist, cause it's 1) pretty fun, 2) traditional control, and 3) I've gotten complements playing it.

The idea was to combine these themes:
  • Upkeep Triggers
  • Enchantments (which I take to mean "pillow-fort")
  • Stuff that directly synergizes with Oloro

So, basically, there's a lot of stuff to try and find Paradox haze as soon as possible. Once I find that, I try to copy it as much as possible. Then I can draw like 8-10 cards a turn off Oloro or the Hondens or phyrexian arena or something.

One problem is to find enough enchantments that win the game. I went with black bleeder-style enchantments, like Price of Knowledge. I was very happy when Palace Siege was printed. It's an upkeep-trigger enchantment win con!

upkeep tribal enablers (paradox haze)
paradox haze
copy enchantment
clever impersonator
strionic resonator

enchantments (wincons)
underworld dreams
starfield of nyx
palace siege
sanguine bond
polluted bonds
price of knowledge

enchantment (upkeep triggers)
phyrexian arena
honden of cleansing fire
honden of night's reach
honden of seeing winds
serra's liturgy
vile requiem
recantation
followed footsteps
mind unbound

enchantments (other)
greater auramancy
blind obedience
rhystic study
karmic justice
aura of silence
erebos, god of the dead
greed
no mercy
pestilence
lich
sphere of safety
meishin, the mind cage

creatures
academy rector
zur the enchanter
psychosis crawler
sunscorch regent
sun titan
drogskol reaver

creature control
torpor orb
toxic deluge
end hostilities
hallowed burial
austere command
merciless eviction
cyclonic rift
death cloud

lifegain, counters, tutors
ivory tower
enlightened tutor
demonic tutor
arcane denial
negate
mindbreak trap
force of will
well of lost dreams
replenish
alhammarret's archive

ramp
chrome mox
expedition map
sol ring
dimir signet
azorius signet
orzhov signet
pristine talisman
thran dynamo
gilded lotus

land
maze of ith
kor haven
bojuka bog
reliquary tower
high market

serra's sanctum
nykthos, shrine to nyx
ancient tomb
temple of the false god

command tower
arcane sanctum
tundra
underground sea
scrubland
godless shrine
hallowed fountain
watery grave
dimir aqueduct
azorius chancery
orzhov basillica
sunken ruins
fetid heath
mystic gate
drowned catacomb
glacial fortress
sejiri refuge
jwar isle refuge
orzhov guildgate
tainted field
2 island
2 plains
2 swamp

Some possible includes are :
swan song
pact of negation
enduring ideal

There's other ways you can go with this. If you don't like Hondens, I'd suggest trying them. They're not that bad. If you want less jank you can drop the recantation / serra's liturgy cards, although vile requiem is pretty strong. You can also go totally creatureless, and use more board wipes and stuff like spreading plague and humility; although, those shut off Oloro as an on-board card-draw engine, which is frequently a good play early. It's pretty nice to ramp out Oloro early and start drawing an extra card or two with him.

Enduring Ideal is totally fine in this list and pretty on theme (upkeep trigger!), but I just don't like winning with it, so I haven't been using it.

It's a control deck that pretty much works. Stuff like torpor orb and meishin can hold down a table of creatures for a long time. Just a few counterspells are needed, to stop any board-wipes for enchantments (austere command, et al). There's enough boardwipes included to come up when you need them. And man, is there a lot of card draw.

Glint-Eye Nephilim (combat tricks, card draw, & creature pump)
Oloro Upkeep Tribal (enchantment-based control)
and more:Decklists

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Oloro Upkeep Tribal Enchantments
AgePosted: 2015-Nov-23 11:23 am 

Chronomantic Escape is really funny will multiple upkeep steps.

What do you do if Paradox Haze is exiled early once people catch onto what you are doing?

Esper can run Cabal Coffers pretty safely even without Urborg if you run Sunken Hollow.

You should be able to fetch up the 5 dual swamps early and that means Coffers produces at least BB which isn't terrible. With Urborg of course, profit.

Cool list though, I did something similar a long time ago with Sen Triplets (which you might consider running), wonder if I can dig it up.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-24 5:44 am 

Thanks! I didn't think about running sen triplets... but I see how it's on-theme. I think they might draw too much hate; also I don't own a copy. :)

Yeah, I find exiling enchantments is pretty unlikely, lately. But, that's what the counterspells are for. And, incidentally, I also want to squeeze in 2 more counterspells. But if the enchantment is just dead, then there's a lot of ways to get it back. Ideally, when people figure out that I'm trying to stack upkeep effects, they kind of laugh, cause I'm playing Hondens and recantation and crap. But actually the deck is fine w/o those effects, if you transition to a drawing-based-on-lifegain plan which can be anchored by 1) Oloro on board, 2) well of lost dreams, 3) drogskol reaver, 4) lich + lots of countermagic. These are basically alternative engines. Also, just playing phyrexian arena and copying that is basically fine, too.

I appreciate your suggestions regarding the new basic-type duals, but I intentionally took out coffers/urborg already. It's just not really needed. Although, it doesn't really hurt, either. I don't really run fetches, but that's mostly cause I don't own many. And also cause there's just a saturation point of non-basics beyond which it just doesn't matter much.

Chronomantic escape is hilarious tech, too. Particularly since I don't need to protect planeswalkers which seem exempted from the no-attack provision.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-24 6:38 am 

I've been wanting to make a successful U/W list with Chronomantic Escape for ever, running it with Magosi, the Waterveil.

I want to steal/revisit the Paradox Haze tech. Do you mind?

I can't decide between Medomai the Ageless or Ephara, God of the Polis as the Commander.

Ephara benefits from Paradox Haze, but doesn't boost Escape. Medomai boosts both Escape and Paradox Haze.

Ephara is the better & stronger draw/go Commander, but Medomai is slightly more interesting and could create a theme. Medomai suffers from 'to many moving' parts syndrome though, needing to be cast, protected and connecting to see any value out of him, while also having Paradox Haze and a upkeep card to take advantage of. He's basically not passive or resilient like Ephara or Oloro can be.

By the way, Angelic Accord? Should be a free 4/4 for you every turn or more if you copy the Accord.

One thing I did notice, is you mentioned a tonne of ways to find Paradox Haze. I only count two (Enlightened Tutor and Demonic Tutor).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-24 12:15 pm 

Yeah, go for it! I want to see more paradox haze decks. Lol. I think I'd go with Ephara, but, on the other hand, that leads you to do tokens, which I mostly hate. Could just focus on flash creatures, of which there are a lot of good ones in U/W.

There's also Zur and academy rector to find paradox haze. Which makes 4... but I also hope to just draw a lot of cards.

Eh, I don't really want to have creatures in my deck, much less a boat load of token creatures. Ew. Creatures are for green decks.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-24 4:01 pm 

Why not Exquisite Blood if you already haveSanguine Bond?
Too dumb or too much hate?

Generals:
too many, and always changing... except:

Rakdos, Lord of Riots (Demon Tribal)
Melek, Izzet Paragon (Dragonstorm) -> these must stay because of a house rule

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Aug-19 5:52 pm 

Thanks for sharing mmcgeach. Lots here to keep me occupied.

Last edited by Mrkell on 2017-Aug-24 10:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Aug-25 3:03 am 

Hanna, Ship's Navigator could be helpful here to recycle lost enchantments. Additionally, ever considered Enchanted Evening and Cleansing Meditation as an alternate win-con?

Gath Immortal wrote:
Twenty Kavus and a Dream is not a legacy deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Aug-25 5:52 am 

Yeah. I think if I wanted more creature-based recursion I'd go with Emeria Shepherd. Hanna's always been kinda slow for me. Hanna doesn't have haste, she has to tap, she has to survive, the enchantment goes into hand, rather than directly into play. Bad times! In general I found the existing enchantment recursion was sufficient; there's a fair bit of it; enchantments don't actually die that often; and a lot of the enchantments here are kind of redundant. Although, adding a timetwister effect is always kind of tempting (whacks graveyards, rebuys all your stuff, shuffles your hand; it does a lot).

re: combos. Yeah, there's a lot of powerful combos in these colors, some of which involve enchantments! It really will speed up your wins if you include them, I sort of make my decks in such a way that I end up having a long grind to a win, if I ever get there. Personal preference! If you actually want to win games, tho, combos are super efficient at it.

Offline Profile