Login | Register


All times are UTC - 7 hours


It is currently 2019-Oct-19 10:55 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Yet another Mayael (rebuilt)
AgePosted: 2013-May-04 6:49 pm 

Joined: 2013-Feb-06 3:13 pm
Age: Drake
EDIT
Completely retooled this deck again. Time to see how it goes. There's a bit of a Dragon subtheme this time around, with 1/3 of the 5+ power creatures being dragons.

Power 5+ creatures (25)
Dragons (8)
Hellkite Tyrant
Hoard-Smelter Dragon
Steel Hellkite
Dromoka, the Eternal
Atarka, World Render
Utvara Hellkite
Dragonlord Dromoka
Eternal Dragon

Angels (3)
Sigarda, Host of Herons
Gisela, Blade of Goldnight
Avacyn, Angel of Hope

Elementals (4)
Greenwarden of Murasa
Soul of the Harvest
Avenger of Zendikar
Omnath, Locus of Rage

Eldrazi (3)
Void Winnower
Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre

Gods (3)
Iroas, God of Victory
Nylea, God of the Hunt
Karametra, God of Harvests

Other Big Beaters (4)
Spellbreaker Behemoth
Sun Titan
Stalking Vengeance
Worldspine Wurm

Ramp/Mana (11)
Cultivate
Kodama's Reach
Sakura-Tribe Elder
Yavimaya Elder
Oracle of Mul Daya
Solemn Simulacrum
Abundance
Mirari's Wake
Sol Ring
Armillary Sphere
Chromatic Lantern

Library Manipulation/Tutoring/Card Draw/Recursion (8)
Mirri's Guile
Scroll Rack
Greater Good
Worldly Tutor
Elvish Piper
Defense of the Heart
Lurking Predators
Eternal Witness

Removal (7)
Path to Exile
Swords to Plowshares
Beast Within
Austere Command
Scavenging Ooze
Aura Shards
Warstorm Surge

Protection (4)
Lightning Greaves
Swiftfoot Boots
Vexing Shusher
Boros Charm

Other Stuff (7)
Dragonmaster Outcast
Illusionist's Bracers
Brion Stoutarm
Seedborn Muse
Fires of Yavimaya
True Conviction
Sarkhan Vol

Land (37)
Command Tower
Jungle Shrine
Reflecting Pool
Transguild Promenade
Temple Garden
Sunpetal Grove
Canopy Vista
Horizon Canopy
Stomping Ground
Rootbound Crag
Cinder Glade
Temple of Abandon
Sacred Foundry
Clifftop Retreat
Temple of Triumph
Mosswort Bridge
Flamekin Village
Reliquary Tower
Krosan Verge
Blighted Woodland
Slayers' Stronghold
Skarrg, the Rage Pits
Kessig Wolf Run
Homeward Path
Plains/Mountains/Forests for the remainder.


Last edited by SirMalkin on 2015-Oct-16 10:34 am, edited 16 times in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Revamped Mayael (moar fatties y/n?)
AgePosted: 2013-May-05 10:43 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2011-Feb-07 3:37 pm
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Danbury, CT
Cutting the Sunforger package would definitely free up the space for your fatties.

But you could also fit in more fatties by switching them in for staple effects with similar roles. For example, Steel Hellkite could sub in for Oblivion Stone. Or Hoard-Smelter Dragon would be a good replacement for Viashino Heretic, and some combination of Terastodon/Woodfall Primus/Sylvan Primordialcould replace Acidic Slime and some other targeted removal. (These are just a couple examples; if you spend a few minutes on Gatherer, you can probably find a bunch of other fatties to swap in for utility effects.)

_________________
The deck-o-pedia


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Revamped Mayael (moar fatties y/n?)
AgePosted: 2013-May-05 11:47 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2011-Feb-19 12:15 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Sacramento, CA
Use Sun Titan.

_________________
Current Decks:
Bruse Tarl / Kraum, Ludevic's Opus
Marchesa, the Black Rose
Mayael the Anima


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Revamped Mayael (moar fatties y/n?)
AgePosted: 2013-May-05 12:52 pm 

Joined: 2013-Feb-06 3:13 pm
Age: Drake
@Kemev
Dropping the Sunforger package: I can definitely see dropping Sunforger itself in favor of something, but the parts of the package itself are all useful. Naya Charm sets up an alpha strike or acts as a second Eternal Witness, Boros Charm protects mah dudes in an emergency or finishes off a weakened enemy, PtE/StP take out must-answer threats like BSC or Ulamog, and Signal the Clans lets me get a fatty or ramp creature when I need one. All of those seem useful, but I'm thinking Boros Charm and Signal the Clans would be the ones to drop, if any.
Steel Hellkite vs. O. Stone: A definite possibility. SH also fits the criteria of getting around Gaddock Teeg, which I was a bit worried about.
Hoard-Smelter Dragon vs. Viashino Heretic: Another good suggestion. Shouldn't be too difficult or expensive to get my hands on one.
Sylvan Primordial vs. Acidic Slime: Since SP is already part of the deck, I could plug in another of the fatties from the list. Between SP, Beast Within, StP/PtE and Aura Shards, I should have sufficient targeted removal.

Howzabout:
-Sunforger
-Oblivion Stone
-Viashino Heretic
-Acidic Slime
-???? (Most likely Boros Charm or Signal the Clans, but I dunno yet.)

+Sun Titan (finda fitting, name-wise, plus he can grab some fun stuff, like Eternal Witness, Yavimaya Elder, Sakura-Tribe Elder, etc.)
+Steel Hellkite
+Hoard-Smelter Dragon
+Balefire Dragon? (Just found this guy in my binder. Good for sweeping enemy boards, but I'd especially love to use Sunhome to give him Double Strike.)
+Utvara Hellkite (Even on it's own, UH is big and scary and triggers Warstorm Surge nicely. But now that I have 4 other dragons in the deck, it looks even scarier.)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Revamped Mayael (moar fatties y/n?)
AgePosted: 2013-May-05 7:29 pm 
User avatar

Joined: 2011-Jan-02 5:25 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Costa La Haya, capital del ducado Holanda
Try Sneak Attack and/or Deathrender.

_________________
"Our words are backed with OBLIVION STONE!"


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Revamped Mayael (moar fatties y/n?)
AgePosted: 2013-May-06 2:52 am 

Joined: 2013-Feb-06 3:13 pm
Age: Drake
Shabbaman wrote:


Deathrender looks interesting, but Sneak Attack is about $40. That's...a little out of my price range.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Revamped Mayael (moar fatties y/n?)
AgePosted: 2013-May-06 4:11 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2011-Feb-19 12:15 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Sacramento, CA
Balefire Dragon is great. I use Utvara Hellkite too. I like to have some token generators to get around sac effects.

Where's your Lightning Greaves and Swiftfoot Boots?

_________________
Current Decks:
Bruse Tarl / Kraum, Ludevic's Opus
Marchesa, the Black Rose
Mayael the Anima


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Revamped Mayael (moar fatties y/n?)
AgePosted: 2013-May-06 4:58 am 

Joined: 2013-Feb-06 3:13 pm
Age: Drake
Celerus wrote:
Balefire Dragon is great. I use Utvara Hellkite too. I like to have some token generators to get around sac effects.

Where's your Lightning Greaves and Swiftfoot Boots?


Not in here at the moment. I'm unsure of what I'd cut for 'em.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Revamped Mayael (moar fatties y/n?)
AgePosted: 2013-May-06 6:49 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2011-Feb-19 12:15 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Sacramento, CA
SirMalkin wrote:
Celerus wrote:
Balefire Dragon is great. I use Utvara Hellkite too. I like to have some token generators to get around sac effects.

Where's your Lightning Greaves and Swiftfoot Boots?


Not in here at the moment. I'm unsure of what I'd cut for 'em.

Asceticism and Privileged Position.

_________________
Current Decks:
Bruse Tarl / Kraum, Ludevic's Opus
Marchesa, the Black Rose
Mayael the Anima


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Revamped Mayael (moar fatties y/n?)
AgePosted: 2013-May-06 7:14 am 

Joined: 2013-Feb-06 3:13 pm
Age: Drake
Celerus wrote:


Huh. For a minute, I thought that was crazy talk. But thinking about it, that actually makes some sense.

EDH is very wrath happy, and Asceticism/Privileged Position won't stop those (Asceticism will stop some, but only if I have a lot of mana available). Greaves/Boots won't stop them either, but they are reusable. Most of the time, I'll only have one or two creatures that really need the protection (Mayael, Avacyn, etc). Also they grant haste, which I could definitely use some more of.

Still a rough decision. Protecting all my stuff at once is pretty awesome. I could grant the magic shoes a trial run, though. If they work out, I guess I'll need to find a new home for Privileged Position.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Revamped Mayael (moar fatties y/n?)
AgePosted: 2013-May-06 7:28 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2011-Feb-19 12:15 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Sacramento, CA
SirMalkin wrote:
Celerus wrote:


Huh. For a minute, I thought that was crazy talk. But thinking about it, that actually makes some sense.

EDH is very wrath happy, and Asceticism/Privileged Position won't stop those (Asceticism will stop some, but only if I have a lot of mana available). Greaves/Boots won't stop them either, but they are reusable. Most of the time, I'll only have one or two creatures that really need the protection (Mayael, Avacyn, etc). Also they grant haste, which I could definitely use some more of.

Still a rough decision. Protecting all my stuff at once is pretty awesome. I could grant the magic shoes a trial run, though. If they work out, I guess I'll need to find a new home for Privileged Position.

Agree. Plus Greaves and Boots can be returned by Sun Titan. Most of the time you want haste when you hard cast your creatures. Also, since your creatures are already pretty costly, you want to limit the number of high mana cost enchantments and artifacts in your deck. I like Lurking Predators, Warstorm Surge, and True Conviction.

_________________
Current Decks:
Bruse Tarl / Kraum, Ludevic's Opus
Marchesa, the Black Rose
Mayael the Anima


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Revamped Mayael (moar fatties y/n?)
AgePosted: 2013-May-06 7:37 am 

Joined: 2013-Feb-06 3:13 pm
Age: Drake
Celerus wrote:
Agree. Plus Greaves and Boots can be returned by Sun Titan. Most of the time you want haste when you hard cast your creatures. Also, since your creatures are already pretty costly, you want to limit the number of high mana cost enchantments and artifacts in your deck. I like Lurking Predators, Warstorm Surge, and True Conviction.


Ah, True Conviction. Another card I'd love to run. Basically though, the only thing I can think of to justify cutting for it is Titanic Ultimatum...which might not be a terrible idea. Shame to lose ultimatum, though.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Revamped Mayael (moar fatties y/n?)
AgePosted: 2013-May-06 9:17 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2011-Feb-19 12:15 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Sacramento, CA
SirMalkin wrote:
Ah, True Conviction. Another card I'd love to run. Basically though, the only thing I can think of to justify cutting for it is Titanic Ultimatum...which might not be a terrible idea. Shame to lose ultimatum, though.

Titanic Ultimatum is o.k., but if someone casts Fog or Sudden Spoiling you're hosed. Also, I'd play Savage Beating over Titanic Ultimatum. Savage Beating just wrecks people, plus it's an instant. They should have made Titanic Ultimatum an instant.

I'm guessing you're playing Titanic Ultimatum because it's Naya. You have to find your own balance between playing cards that are on theme or good stuff. It's different for everyone. I struggled with not playing Mayael's Aria for a while. But in the end I decided it just didn't do enough to make the cut. Of course, I play in a pretty cutthroat group. If your group is more casual you can get away with playing less good stuff and more themed cards.

_________________
Current Decks:
Bruse Tarl / Kraum, Ludevic's Opus
Marchesa, the Black Rose
Mayael the Anima


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Revamped Mayael (moar fatties y/n?)
AgePosted: 2013-May-06 10:28 am 

Joined: 2013-Feb-06 3:13 pm
Age: Drake
Celerus wrote:
SirMalkin wrote:
Ah, True Conviction. Another card I'd love to run. Basically though, the only thing I can think of to justify cutting for it is Titanic Ultimatum...which might not be a terrible idea. Shame to lose ultimatum, though.

Titanic Ultimatum is o.k., but if someone casts Fog or Sudden Spoiling you're hosed. Also, I'd play Savage Beating over Titanic Ultimatum. Savage Beating just wrecks people, plus it's an instant. They should have made Titanic Ultimatum an instant.

I'm guessing you're playing Titanic Ultimatum because it's Naya. You have to find your own balance between playing cards that are on theme or good stuff. It's different for everyone. I struggled with not playing Mayael's Aria for a while. But in the end I decided it just didn't do enough to make the cut. Of course, I play in a pretty cutthroat group. If your group is more casual you can get away with playing less good stuff and more themed cards.


I honestly thought it was an instant until I added it to this build. I think I'll take it out for True Conviction. I don't actually own Savage Beating, but I will keep an eye out for it.

Also, now that I have True Conviction and Gisela, Ruric Thar is looking like a fairly nasty addition to the deck. Mayhap I'll replace Armada Wurm with him on a trial basis.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Revamped Mayael (moar fatties y/n?)
AgePosted: 2013-May-06 11:32 am 
User avatar

Joined: 2011-Feb-19 12:15 am
Age: Elder Dragon
Location: Sacramento, CA
SirMalkin wrote:
I honestly thought it was an instant until I added it to this build. I think I'll take it out for True Conviction. I don't actually own Savage Beating, but I will keep an eye out for it.

Also, now that I have True Conviction and Gisela, Ruric Thar is looking like a fairly nasty addition to the deck. Mayhap I'll replace Armada Wurm with him on a trial basis.


Ruric Thar + True Conviction or Gisela would be sick.

_________________
Current Decks:
Bruse Tarl / Kraum, Ludevic's Opus
Marchesa, the Black Rose
Mayael the Anima


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: