Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-19 4:26 pm

Post subject: Re: Noyan Dar is Dissatisfied
AgePosted: 2015-Oct-12 7:14 am 

Epsilon wrote:
Segrus wrote:
It is almost entirely the 4 CMC cards driving the deck's mana. I'm mostly counting on many of the deck's spells getting more than one use. Did you think of Mirrorweave for this deck too? I had a friend who loved Mirrorweave. He would Mirrorweave stuff like Dandan and wipe the field.

That's pretty funny with Dandan. I think Mirrorweave is strong enough by itself here though. Turning all your 0/0 lands into huge eldrazi or whatnot after blocks or just turning their alpha striking army into a bunch of tapped islands. Un-animating all your lands and other creatures in response to a board wipe or even targetted removal. Etc... It's actually the main reason I'm going to be building around Noyan. He's very interesting on his own but those interactions are just gravy. I'll have to scrap my Ephara deck to build him and that deck is easily my strongest deck so it needed the hilarious play potential. I'm also going to include Sage of Hours for the potential to take a bunch of turns off the counters at instant speed. I don't usually play a lot of extra turn cards but that's enough hoops to set up that I don't think people will mind.
Layering for this deck is very tricky, I feel like. I realized I wasn't prepared for that once I played Aven Mimeomancer in testing and had to stop everything to make certain it turns out like I thought. It's still a good card, but I might replace it anyway. It is also tempting to play stuff which makes copies of creatures, so in a gigantic pinch I can make copies of lands.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-12 7:53 am 

Everyone is complaining that he's not in green but you just pointed out a good reason why he wasn't. He's such a nonbo with other land animating effects that it would be far too complicated if he was in a color that made excessive use of that. Although the land animate buyback spell would be pretty good with him.

A 6/4 flier is pretty cool but you can't buff his attack at instant speed. Having to keep track that they lost the 3/1 but not the flying or whatnot can become very complicated. It would be better to just use Wonder or levitation. I would actually probably swap it out for View from Above now that I think about it...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-12 8:51 am 

Epsilon wrote:
Everyone is complaining that he's not in green but you just pointed out a good reason why he wasn't. He's such a nonbo with other land animating effects that it would be far too complicated if he was in a color that made excessive use of that. Although the land animate buyback spell would be pretty good with him.

A 6/4 flier is pretty cool but you can't buff his attack at instant speed. Having to keep track that they lost the 3/1 but not the flying or whatnot can become very complicated. It would be better to just use Wonder or levitation. I would actually probably swap it out for View from Above now that I think about it...

View From Above
View From Above
View From Above
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Dude...I totally forgot about that card. Done and done. I don't know why I've forgotten about it. I even have it in foil.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-12 10:57 am 

Segrus wrote:
View From Above
View From Above
View From Above
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Dude...I totally forgot about that card. Done and done. I don't know why I've forgotten about it. I even have it in foil.

Yeah... I kinda felt dumb that I hadn't thought of that one sooner. I don't have it in foil unfortunately but it's definitely going into my deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-12 11:35 am 

Starting to look through some of my cards and pulling out potential spells. Vanish Into Memory is another lopsided card in this deck. Draw 6 discard 0 at a minimum if used to save your own land...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-12 12:04 pm 

Epsilon wrote:
Starting to look through some of my cards and pulling out potential spells. Vanish Into Memory is another lopsided card in this deck. Draw 6 discard 0 at a minimum if used to save your own land...
That was one I tried to find while going through cards, but couldn't find it on the last run through. I know I have one somewhere, and once I find it I'll see if there's a nice spot for it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-13 12:17 am 

Epsilon wrote:
Vanish Into Memory

View from Above

That's some spicy tech.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-17 7:32 pm 

I built my own deck yesterday and got to try him out in a few games. He's got some incredibly explosive potential.

I managed to kill two players out of nowhere with just my general and unanimated lands in play at the start of turn by casting two 1-2 drop spells then a mirrorweave turning everything into a 9/9 flying trample demon... except mine were 12/12's thanks to the counters. Swinging with four huge demons out of nowhere. (Everyone was already below 20 thanks to a hasty Heartless Hidetsugu)

The next game I got Jace's Sanctum out with my general and Talrand then Mystic Speculation'ed a bunch of times making my Darksteel Citadel a 12/12 along with 4 drakes while getting to scry super deep. Five power and a scry added for free onto every spell is a little overboard. Then a little later I dropped Terra Eternal and wiped the board a few times while going wider. A bunch of 6/6+ indestructible lands are pretty scary.

I get the feeling Noyan will be very hard to keep alive after a few more games once people realize how dangerous he is... I haven't notice lands dying being at all troublesome and I didn't even include a greater than normal land count in the deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-18 9:53 am 

Epsilon wrote:
I built my own deck yesterday and got to try him out in a few games. He's got some incredibly explosive potential.

I managed to kill two players out of nowhere with just my general and unanimated lands in play at the start of turn by casting two 1-2 drop spells then a mirrorweave turning everything into a 9/9 flying trample demon... except mine were 12/12's thanks to the counters. Swinging with four huge demons out of nowhere. (Everyone was already below 20 thanks to a hasty Heartless Hidetsugu)

The next game I got Jace's Sanctum out with my general and Talrand then Mystic Speculation'ed a bunch of times making my Darksteel Citadel a 12/12 along with 4 drakes while getting to scry super deep. Five power and a scry added for free onto every spell is a little overboard. Then a little later I dropped Terra Eternal and wiped the board a few times while going wider. A bunch of 6/6+ indestructible lands are pretty scary.

I get the feeling Noyan will be very hard to keep alive after a few more games once people realize how dangerous he is... I haven't notice lands dying being at all troublesome and I didn't even include a greater than normal land count in the deck.

Nice! I'm waiting until I get a real game with it in, as I've been helping my wife get her Trostani, Selesnya's Voice deck in order instead (for going to the Commander stuff at GP Atlanta).

I agree that 43 lands might be a couple too many, but again I'm going to wait to make certain. After thinking and rethinking about it, I'm wondering if Cackling Counterpart or similar cards might be an interesting way as a weird ramp effect (since copying an animated land will result in just another land and not a 0/0 Elemental land creature). It seems as if it is riding the line between cute/casual and good.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-18 2:52 pm 

I considered the clones but I'm not sold on it yet. The only one I'd really consider is Tempt with Reflections.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-20 12:40 pm 

What about Infinite Reflection?

Your lands aren't tokens, and just about anything they would be a copy of would probably be an upgrade (though, you wouldn't be able to tap them for mana). You could even play it on your opponent's creature, it doesn't really matter.

For the same reason, let me allay any doubt regarding Mirrorweave. It is going to be the nuts in this deck. You can semi-wipe, retaining your lands. Alternatively, you can make all your lands something else, and swing for value.

Follow me on Twitter: @generalspeak

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-20 1:27 pm 

Sinis wrote:
What about Infinite Reflection?

Your lands aren't tokens, and just about anything they would be a copy of would probably be an upgrade (though, you wouldn't be able to tap them for mana). You could even play it on your opponent's creature, it doesn't really matter.

Huh, I was just looking at Infinite Reflections for a different deck. I think I could see this as a cute possibility. The main downside is you'd have to be able to maintain tight control over the board to prevent someone from really wrecking you (wraths the board and time walks you several turns by killing off your lands).

Sinis wrote:
For the same reason, let me allay any doubt regarding Mirrorweave. It is going to be the nuts in this deck. You can semi-wipe, retaining your lands. Alternatively, you can make all your lands something else, and swing for value.
Not all it does. It can also protect the field from wraths. Say an opponent who is in the lead has indestructible stuff and tries to wrath. Mirrorweave can protect the board for the turn.

Mirrorweave is likely one of the best cards for this deck with its versatility.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-20 2:27 pm 

I originally included Infinite Reflections when I started planning the deck but replaced it for Mirrorweave which is just better in every way... you don't necessarily want the permanence of reflections as it will stop you from being able to animate/grow your lands further and until the board is wiped you end up without the ability to continue your primary game plan. It's playable but it's essentially needed as a win con which Mirrorweave just does better with a cheaper cost and instant speed while triggering more counters/bodies.

Plus it only impacts your board which removes the ability to defensively mirrorweave by turning an alpha strike into a bunch of tapped plains.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-24 6:33 am 

Good fun, Segrus, good fun :)

Just asking, if you run Reality Strobe, why not Chronomantic Escape?

In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-24 8:07 am 

Antis wrote:
Good fun, Segrus, good fun :)

Just asking, if you run Reality Strobe, why not Chronomantic Escape?
It was! Well, that is despite both of us losing to Luminarch Ascension + Parallel Lives and 18 or more mana. Just couldn't scry fast enough down to a wrath.

Chronomantic Escape is a possibility, but I didn't run into it while going through cards earlier. It'll depend on how good of a spot there is for one. I've been considering trying to find a Jace's Sanctum for this deck, but hadn't gotten around to looking at prices yet. There's already been a couple of changes from the current list, including taking out a couple lands for more cards. I will get an updated list sometime soon.

Offline Profile