Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-19 3:38 pm

Post subject: Re: Omnath, Locus of Rage - Elemental Anger (v2.0)
AgePosted: 2015-Oct-13 12:54 am 

lol, good deal :)

Some of my choices I got from your list.

I completely forgot a card that absolutely needs to be in an Omnath deck.... Perilous Forays! It's almost a must-include!

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-13 1:38 am 

No kidding! With a token doubler that's a ticket to every basic in your library!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-22 10:33 pm 

Unexpected interaction #257: Nekusar hates Abundance.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Oct-23 1:05 am 

hah! nice! bad colors to remove it too.

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-02 11:25 pm 

I'll be the first person to tell you you're running way too many lands, you could cut it down to 45 and be fine. also I'd run Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle with Vesuva and Thespian Stage to get multiple copies of valakut (it's not legendary) in play so you can deal out tons of damage, all for the low price of upping your mountain count, my original list ran I believe 12 mountains and 8 forests with 8 or so fetchlands of various types.

Also, run Scapeshift and Boundless Realms, they're basically an instant win with Omnath on the table

you can combo Snake Umbra or Keen Sense with Abundance to machinegun people with angry borby.

Mana Bond is god tier ramp in this deck, run it.

Holistic Wisdom is the most powerful green recursion engine in the game, and this deck loves it.

Storm Cauldron is just evil.

replace Gaea's Touch and Rites of Flourishing, they're not that great, you could run Azusa, Lost But Seeking instead.

Tempt with Discovery and Crop Rotation can fetch you Gaea's Cradle, and that will almost always ruin someones life.

Greater Good is literally the best green card in EDH and fits in this deck perfectly.

Zuran Orb can keep you alive long enough to hit wombo combos and does a whole lot of tricky tech stuff with lands like floating a bunch of mana, sacing them all casting praetor's counsel to put them back in hand to use with borborygmos for the win and stuff. also it's hilarious with Titania

Amulet of Vigor is probably one of the best artifacts this deck can have on the table, run it.

for card draw you have a metric sht ton of options: Memory Jar, Recycle, Slate of Ancestry, Shamanic Revelation, Collective Unconscious, Seer's Sundial and the list goes on.

We need a clear set of objective rules so that everybody always knows what to expect, and how to prepare for it. As of now, I think I spend more time arguing with players about the format than I do playing fun and interactive games of Commander. And last time I read, this was not the format's purpose.

QFT

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-03 4:40 am 

Some good suggestions. A few are outside my budget, a few would go over poorly with my playgroup. Boundless Realms got cut for being just too gross. Manabond got cut for putting me in topdeck mode. There's enough draw now it may be worth reconsidering.

Greater good is in there.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-03 6:18 am 

Shamanic Revelation is in my list, and lemme tell ya, it's fuckin legit.

I need to look at fitting Abundance in my list, though. The number of times I've found myself praying to topdeck a land...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-10 2:28 am 

I should have probably posted my list here instead, but I thought this was more Elemental focused then mine, so went seperate.

Have I missed anything obvious in my list?

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17959

What do you guys think of Seer's Sundial in lieu of Horn of Greed (I hate feeding other people cards).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-10 3:57 am 

GoodbyeWorld wrote:
What do you guys think of Seer's Sundial in lieu of Horn of Greed (I hate feeding other people cards).

Horn of Greed is still asymmetrical if you're playing a lands matters deck. You gain the benefits first and can very easily make it so you get the benefits multiple times per turn while your opponents may be lucky to get one per turn. It's not as "hug" as Rites of Flourishing or Howling Mine since you'll definitely be using it better than your opponents. 1/3 to 2/5ths of their decks are going to be lands in general. Any ramp they play is going to cut that fraction down further. You'll be giving them an extra draw basically every other turn unless they're already playing sufficient draw in which case it's a lesser benefit for them anyway.

Sundial is pretty costly IMO. You're setting yourself back "two turns" to use it. You play this at 4 mana then next turn play 5th land and go to 3 mana for the turn or let it sit around with no benefit... Green has better draw options to the extent that I wouldn't even consider this one in a green deck. It's more viable in red/white decks that are "weaker" on draw.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-11 3:40 am 

Epsilon wrote:
GoodbyeWorld wrote:

Horn of Greed is still asymmetrical if you're playing a lands matters deck. You gain the benefits first and can very easily make it so you get the benefits multiple times per turn while your opponents may be lucky to get one per turn. It's not as "hug" as Rites of Flourishing or Howling Mine since you'll definitely be using it better than your opponents. 1/3 to 2/5ths of their decks are going to be lands in general. Any ramp they play is going to cut that fraction down further. You'll be giving them an extra draw basically every other turn unless they're already playing sufficient draw in which case it's a lesser benefit for them anyway.

Sundial is pretty costly IMO. You're setting yourself back "two turns" to use it. You play this at 4 mana then next turn play 5th land and go to 3 mana for the turn or let it sit around with no benefit... Green has better draw options to the extent that I wouldn't even consider this one in a green deck. It's more viable in red/white decks that are "weaker" on draw.

Ok, I'll give Horn of Greed a spin. I have three must squeeze in cards now, Zendikar's Roil, Ghost Town and Horn of Greed. Anyone have any suggestions on cuts?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-11 3:58 am 

Seedguide Ash is kinda "meh". If he were an Elemental, it'd be better, but alas. However, I can see it if you don't want to cut him for a non-ramp spell. Balefire Dragon is meh as well. Fine, but not on theme, just kinda generic. Not a fan of Spore Frog either. Siege Behemoth is a cool card, but feels like it belongs in a different deck. Finally, I feel like you could safely cut either Song of the Dryads or Chaos Warp. I don't hate either of them, but I don't think they're stricly necessary either.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-11 4:59 am 

thaumaturge wrote:
Seedguide Ash is kinda "meh". If he were an Elemental, it'd be better, but alas. However, I can see it if you don't want to cut him for a non-ramp spell. Balefire Dragon is meh as well. Fine, but not on theme, just kinda generic. Not a fan of Spore Frog either. Siege Behemoth is a cool card, but feels like it belongs in a different deck. Finally, I feel like you could safely cut either Song of the Dryads or Chaos Warp. I don't hate either of them, but I don't think they're strictly necessary either.

I'll try cutting Spore Frog and Genesis for Zendikar's Roil and Horn of Greed. I didn't see this as a Genesis list. It also makes me look at Greater Good since I care less about filling the yard, but I don't like losing the sac outlet + draw combination (say putting in Greater Gargadon instead, means I lose a draw spell which always ends up a regret).

I like being removal heavy, I find games more interesting when I have answers to problems and vice versa, so while I agree Balefire Dragon isn't right (and by cutting Genesis, a body is even less necessary), I'd want to replace it with a similar strength creature wipe.

Siege Behemoth I think works fantastically in this list. It's sticky evasion and your 5/5's become disposable Goblin Grenades basically, which even if they block to remove them means they take 8 instead of 5. With cards like Bane of Progress and Realm Seekers the benefit becomes bigger. Thunderfoot Baloth might be the cut instead, since he is more conditional and the only real reason I like it over Siege Behemoth is its interaction with Rude Awakening and Zendikar's Roil.

Thanks for the suggestions though, real good stuff to think about.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-11 5:18 am 

Fair enough. I missed Genesis, and while I'm a fan of that card, I think you're right to cut him. I don't think this is the ideal spot for him.

Based on my own experiences with Omnath, I would not cut Greater Good for anything in the world, though. Card is amazing even if you have no GY synergy.

I understand your point about removal - I am woefully understocked in that department in my own Omnath list, but I found I get better results just focusing on doing Omnath-y things as fast as possible. I don't really care (much) about interacting with the board, just racing it.

But... that's probably why I'm already starting to dislike the deck. It's too similar in how it plays to a combo deck. I rarely even win via attacking, it's almost always just sac'ing a crap ton of elementals to something and going straight to the dome. Hmm, now I'm rethinking everything I've said about him so far. Maybe I should overhaul the deck, slow it down and make it more interactive. I just don't know how I could do that without making it just flat out worse.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-11 5:50 am 

thaumaturge wrote:
But... that's probably why I'm already starting to dislike the deck. It's too similar in how it plays to a combo deck. I rarely even win via attacking, it's almost always just sac'ing a crap ton of elementals to something and going straight to the dome. Hmm, now I'm rethinking everything I've said about him so far. Maybe I should overhaul the deck, slow it down and make it more interactive. I just don't know how I could do that without making it just flat out worse.

I learnt that lesson through playing Xenagos. I could have easily stocked it with cards like Malignus, Putrefax etc. but it became tutor or top deck those cards, then win or become archenemy.

The reality for me is heavy control lists that win by turning creatures sideways are what I get the most enjoyment from. Whether it is a artificial feeling or not, they always result in games where I feel like I had to work for my win instead of just coming across it. The control part is sort of the clincher, because it allows games to always transition to mid or late game without me folding to the first early broken thing that happens (which I absolutely hate).

I am switching to Omnath over Xenagos because playing against a God with no tuck can be obnoxious/oppressive sometimes (IMO) and I can run a higher amount of synergy type cards that fit in with my standard of "run X draw, X removal, X ramp and then fill with synergy" style of building lists. This list is already running a tonne more interesting cards then I needed to/could run in Xenagos.

Offline Profile