Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jun-23 6:58 pm

Post subject: Gwendlyn di Corci. Deck with good cards.
AgePosted: 2015-Jun-01 5:16 am 

The guiding principles for this deck are:

1) play rare and powerful cards
2) play large-scale disruptive or prison cards that impact whole styles of play
3) be very effective, if not "competitive." When I pull this deck out, I'm intending to win.

The specific implementation of these lead me to these themes:

a) creatures that tap to do stuff
b) discard
c) artifact synergy

Theme (a) works with my general, Gwendlyn, and also allows me to play around torpor orb, which is a critical component of every deck I build. Also, somewhat strangely, this is an under utilized theme and one that feels more like how magic used to feel, to me. Theme (b) also works with my general. Theme (c) is basically required because of the amount of ramp that's neccessary in a deck, and in a grixis deck this means artifact ramp. This basically just amounts to a committment to the artifact ramp, the benefits that provides a deck, and the additional synergy that can be had by adding a few other artifact-enablers.

Gwendlyn di Corci

creatures
goblin welder
aphetto alchemist
baleful strix
nin, the pain artist
synod artificer
trinket mage
vedalken archmage
guardian beast
phyrexian metamorph
notion thief
mercurial chemister
cao cao, lord of wei
arcanis the omnipotent
memnarch

hosers
the tabernacle at pendrell vale
maze of ith
nihil spellbomb
torpor orb
winter orb
forcefield
arcane laboratory
noetic scales
stranglehold
pendrell mists
nether void
land equilibrium

card draw
sensei's divining top
rhystic study
underworld connections
dack fayden
geth's grimoire
daretti, scrap savant
memory jar

creature buffers
lightning greaves
umbral mantle
thousand-year elixir

tutors
demonic tutor
transmute artifact
fabricate
tezzeret the seeker

utility
voltaic key
rings of brighthearth
teferi, temporal archmage
spine of ish sah
ugin, the spirit dragon
nicol bolas, planeswalker

isochron scepter
isochron scepter
vampiric tutor
swan song
banishing knack
cyclonic rift
negate
arcane denial
mana drain
rakdos charm

ramp
mox opal
expedition map
mana vault
sol ring
candelabra of tawnos
coldsteel heart
grim monolith
rakdos signet
izzet signet
dimir signet
darksteel ingot
chromatic lantern
coalition relic
basalt monolith
thran dynamo
unwinding clock
gilded lotus

land (utility)
academy ruins
minamo, school at water's edge
deserted temple
tolaria west
mishra's workshop
reliquary tower

land (mana)
nykthos, shrine to nyx
urborg, tomb of yawgmoth
cabal coffers
thespian's stage
izzet boilerworks
rakdos carnarium
dimir aqueduct
command tower
crumbling necropolis
underground sea
volcanic island
badlands
watery grave
steam vents
blood crypt
drowned catacomb
sunken ruins
darkwater catacombs
1x island
1x swamp

Card comments:

Trinket Mage and Baleful Strix are the only etb creatures, which I want to keep to a minimum, but these are really good. I may yet cut trinket mage. But he doubles as ramp and a means to find the candelabra of tawnos, which is key. Welder can also be ramp; also frequently decent with baleful strix and nihil spellbomb - and ideally memory jar. The light manabase relies on getting some of this ramp going; also it really benefits land equilibrium. Bounce lands keep the land count low which playes into that, it also lets you bounce back the mishra's workshop when you don't need its mana for a turn or two. Stuff like nether void and winter orb and tabernacle at pendrell vale are easly to play around with the amount of mana the deck produces. There are a few ways to generate infinite mana, and then generally nin, the pain artist or memnarch is a win. Sometimes the deck can generate infinite creature untaps and umbral mantle can pump up gwendlyn to attack for the win.

It turns out a lot of stuff that draws cards also involves discarding cards, so geth's grimoire is even better than it looks. Like with memory jar, for example. Or Dack Fayden. Dack + notion thief is strong. Also notion thief + nin, the pain artist. You can even get someone to discard a bunch with Nin, the pain artist, by forcing a draw on their endstep and then drawing off that discard with geth's grimoire. Noetic Scales has been insane for creature control, with the discard plan.

The isochron scepter package is generally pretty good. Mostly its counterspells, of course, but I think there's enough value from the instants being used as one-shots to justify them; and there's enough of them and enough tutors that I can usually find the scepter if I really want to. Plus then I wind up with something like arcane denial on isochron scepter and an unwinding clock in play, which is pretty strong. Generally there's enough ways to untap artifacts that the scepter is a strong play. Banishing knack is the cute one; its basically only good if its on the scepter or if I've got a ton of mana and umbral mantle.

Some of the planeswalkers have been new additions. So far I like Daretti as early filtering; and Ugin, the spirit dragon as a mid-game board wipe. Teferi, temporal archmage is a recent addition and I like that it's both ramp and card draw, but we'll see if the deck can really support that many planeswalkers.

The deck can kind of run slow or run fast. With a fast start and some card draw, a lot can happen quickly. Maybe the deck combos out with infinite mana pretty soon. Alternatively, with an early land equilibrium and maybe an arcane laboratory / nether void, it can be really slow. In the slow phase, the idea is to gain extra value each turn by activating tap-creatures multiple times, and maybe a planeswalker; while trying to prevent anyone from doing anything at all explosive.

Some stuff I want to try, or try again:

illusionist's bracers (previously had; generally pretty strong)
fatestitcher (previously had; cut for aphetto alchemist)
time elemental (previously had; cut for banishing knack)
visara the dreadful (previously had; works with minamo, school at water's edge, not sure if its needed)
cephalid broker (would be dack fayden #2)
staff of domination
in garruk's wake

Some stuff I've cut that could stay cut?
viashino heretic (maybe?)
master transmuter (was only really good with spine of ish sah)
liquimetal coating (generally unimpactful)

Glint-Eye Nephilim (combat tricks, card draw, & creature pump)
Oloro Upkeep Tribal (enchantment-based control)
and more:Decklists

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Gwendlyn di Corci. Deck with good cards.
AgePosted: 2015-Jun-01 8:00 am 

About time!

I like the Memory Jar :)

Why no Karn? I thought you liked Karn, and his first is essentially discard.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jun-01 8:36 am 

Yeah, man, Memory Jar + Geth's Grimoire has been my favorite play.

I dunno about Karn. I think usually he's just one vindicate then he's toast; and he's harder to recur and reuse than spine of ish sah. But, I dunno. Now that master transmuter is gone; spine may be the next to go. Cause it's really only great with welder and daretti. But I have to keep a minimum number of ways of dealing with an arbitrary permanent, to protect myself from stuff like null rod or stony silence or similar crap.

You know what, I wish there was something other than urza's blueprints that was an artifact with "tap: draw a card" on it. Cause that's what I really want.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jun-01 8:40 am 

Jar is, of course, also really cute with N Thief.

So you mean NOT Jayemdae Tome because it costs 4 to activate? I also like Tower of Fortunes but it is a lot of mana to crank out. With untappers and lotsa rocks though, you could probably get pretty wild.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jun-01 8:56 am 

yeah, I want something that's good even when I don't have a ton of mana. Sometime the deck generates insane mana, but sometimes it doesn't. It'd be nice to have something I can sneak into play and then abuse with just the untappers, you know, without also untapping 4 or 5 mana. Sometimes the deck floods out, too, which happens sometimes when my opponents are picking off my key threats: and I just kind of draw enablers and mana tricks for several turns. Something like Fact or Fiction might be the right card (generally good early or good late), but I'd prefer something more on-theme. Maybe if I can't find something that's good early and late, I'll try staff of domination, which appears to be only good late.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-08 1:06 pm 

So, I've moved from the more prison/control build to a more combo/power-cards build. It's not as interesting (for me) but it's more effective (at winning). My meta has gotten sort of saturated with power-creep, and I needed a deck that highlighted all the things wrong with that metagame, while competing in it effectively.

I'm still using the on-tap creature ability theme. But most of the deck is more focused on resolving a draw-7 with consecrated sphinx or notion thief in play, which with the increased fast mana and stuff like time warp and mind over matter usually leads directly to a win. I increased the number of untappers (mind over matter, ral zarek), and the number of ways to benefit from my opponent's draws and discards (dream salvage, waste not, psychic possession). I dropped most of the removal and now focus on using answers like devastation tide and cyclonic rift.

changes:

out ---> in
aphetto alchemist --> fatestitcher
arcanis the omnipotent --> consecrated sphinx
synod artificer --> cephalid broker
guardian beast --> static orb
the tabernacle at pendrell vale --> dream salvage
forcefield --> waste not
arcane laboratory --> wheel of fortune
noetic scales --> windfall
pendrell mists --> timetwister
nether void --> psychic possession
rhystic study --> future sight
underworld connections --> ral zarek
thousand-year elixir --> mind over matter
fabricate --> yawgmoth's will
spine of ish sah --> devastation tide
banishing knack --> time warp
clock of omens --> sire of stagnation
rakdos charm --> mox diamond
urborg, tomb of yawgmoth --> chrome mox
cabal coffers --> mikokoro, center of the sea

remaining considerations: underworld connections is still kind of tempting with the untappers. And also the chain veil, with all the walkers.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-08 5:08 pm 

How about Avatar of Woe? Djinn of Infinite Deceits? Elite Arcanist could be a second Isochron Scepter.

Empress Galina can hose Commander specific strategies.

Counterspell over Negate?

Bojuka Bog is absent and free graveyard hate.

Rings of Brighthearth is Illusionist's Bracers (which I know you cut) but works for your artifacts as well. I'm sure there is a way to make it busted in your list.

Offline Profile