Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-11 9:43 pm

Post subject: Re: Black Oath Devotion
AgePosted: 2015-May-18 9:37 am 

Superstrength79 wrote:
Kiku, Night's Flower is excellent, repeatable removal.

Nightmare Lash and/or Lashwrithe might be good inclusions, despite wanting devotion enablers. They would allow your hasty shadows to hit hard.

Forced March is a great "devotion" removal spell.

Nightmare Lash and Lashwrithe don't follow my deckbuilding rule. See the first part of the original post.

Kiku, Night's Flower could certainly work, as well as Forced March. I own neither, currently. Kiku might be a good replacement for Stromgald Crusader or Guul Draz Assassin. Forced March is harder. While classic removal, it doesn't necessarily outperform Black Sun's Zenith or Consume the Meek (at least at the 3 CMC level); however, it is better than Consume the Meek at higher CMCs. I'll have to think about that one.
Green wrote:
Have you looked at Bane of the Living? It's pretty effective as an instant (well, Morph) speed board wipe.
True. It would provide me the ability to essentially double up on that effect (since Pestilence Demon and Massacre Wurm sort of play that role). That being said...I don't know if it would be better than Massacre Wurm or Pestilence Demon, and I also don't know if I need another board wipe effect. I need play more games with the deck and see what happens.

------------------------

In unrelated news, Xenic Poltergeist seems like a great possibility to gain another artifact destruction effect (tangentially, that is) in a deck which is sorely missing these effects.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-18 10:11 pm 

Segrus wrote:
Nightmare Lash and Lashwrithe don't follow my deckbuilding rule. See the first part of the original post.

Yep, was just mentioning them (with the caveat in my recommendation) since sometimes deck-building restrictions need to be flexed :)

I have made plenty a deck that folds due to not having good support (my Rith deck when she was only myconids and saproling producing cards).

A suggestion to make your recursion shadow dudes stronger, and doubling as a repeatable "fog" - Stronghold Overseer.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-May-19 8:50 am 

Superstrength79 wrote:
Yep, was just mentioning them (with the caveat in my recommendation) since sometimes deck-building restrictions need to be flexed :)

Ah, okay. Yeah, this is part of a series of decks for each color, so I'm not bending on deck-building restrictions for anything.
Solid Green Devotion Polukranos
Solid Red Devotion Marton Stromgald
Superstrength79 wrote:
A suggestion to make your recursion shadow dudes stronger, and doubling as a repeatable "fog" - Stronghold Overseer.

The repeatable fog is nice, but...did my one shadow guy really need to be stronger? Mostly just use him as repeatable sac more than anything.

I'll have to think about the repeatable fog effect. Drana might be a better card for this, although Overseer certainly is a little more classy and underused. Hm...questions, questions...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-27 5:27 pm 

Updated this deck with some newer and newish cards. I can't recall all of the cards I took out, but the list is updated with these changes:

Ob Nixilis Reignited, Smothering Abomination, Vampiric Rites, Liliana, Heretical Healer, Hythonia the Cruel, Desecration Demon, Drana, Liberator of Malakir, Gravecrawler, and Geralf's Messenger.

I know I took out more than a couple CMC = 5 cards in order to hopefully make that turn more about playing my commander. There was also a number of higher costing cards than that taken out to move the mana curve down so more spells get played more often. I kept finding the deck playing out just one spell a turn and doing mostly nothing. Well, I think this is a little more aggressive.

Offline Profile