Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jul-20 7:24 pm

Post subject: THIS! IS! AKROS!!!
AgePosted: 2014-Feb-12 4:43 pm 

People of Akros!

Long have we waged wars against Meletis and Setessa. Long have we fended off the beasts of legends. Long have we struggled to please the gods, so they would bring us victory.
The planeswalkers have brought us stories of different worlds, their armies and their ways of war. But we are not like them! We do not rely on weapons and shields and armor to win our battles for us. The valor of our heroes and the might of our gods are what makes us tower over other nations on this and every other world.
Let us show the planes the glory of our city-state! Let us show them...AKROS!!!

Will you follow us - your king and queen? Will you follow us...to VICTORY?!

Royalty:

Signature weapon: (But I thought you said...)
Livewire Lash

Patron deity:
Iroas, God of Victory

Vice-generals:
Ajani, Caller of the Pride
Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker

Troops:
Akroan Conscriptor
Archetype of Aggression
Assemble the Legion
Balefire Liege
Boros Swiftblade
Conqueror's Pledge
Eidolon of Countless Battles
Fabled Hero (also a hero)
Fencing Ace
Goblinslide
Hearthfire Hobgoblin
Hordeling Outburst
Hound of Griselbrand
Hundred-Handed One (i just like this guy :) )
Knight of the White Orchid
Lightning Mauler
Markov Blademaster (this gal's evil)
Mentor of the Meek
Mogg War Marshal
Monastery Swiftspear (this one even more so)
Raise the Alarm
Reveillark
Serra Ascendant
Silverblade Paladin
Soltari Guerrillas
Sublime Archangel
Wrecking Ogre

Blessings of the gods: (targeting heroes)
Aurelia's Fury
Battle Mastery
Boros Charm
Coordinated Assault
Double Cleave
Ghitu Firebreathing
Latulla's Orders
Madcap Skills
Magnetic Theft
Mark of Fury
Murder Investigation
Outmaneuver
Psychotic Fury
Rally the Righteous
Reckless Charge
Riding Red Hare
Seething Anger
Seize the Day
Temur Battle Rage
Valorous Stance

Divine intervention: (destruction)
Austere Command
Deflecting Palm
Martial Coup (also a token maker)
Orim's Thunder
Relic of Progenitus
Wear // Tear
Wing Shards
Wrath of God

Resource-gathering:
Infiltration Lens
Reforge the Soul
Staff of Nin

Lands conquered:
Ghost Quarter
Kor Haven
Slayers' Stronghold
Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion

TOTALS: 29 Creatures/token makers, 21 heroic triggers (22, if you count Orim's Thunder), 37 lands

Hey, everyone! This is Antis, trying something a little different.

A lot of Boros decks tend to look like this - bunch of guys, bunch of equipment, GO! I picked Anax and Cymede up as a deckbuilding challenge: since heroic doesn't trigger off equip, I had to build a Boros deck that replaces equipment with actual spells.

What pushed this idea through was their trigger. I'd tried to build R/W before, making a big dude with double strike and some stuff attached...only for him to get chumped until one of my opponents wrathed. Alternatively, I'd had several small creatures, perhaps tokens, that got through, but did little to no damage before, again, an opponent wrathed.

A&C have very aggressive stats, great combination of first strike and vigilance and their trigger is just what the R/W army needs. Trample for Mr. Big Double Striking Guy? +1/+1 for the whole token squad? Everyone benefits from their rule.

The fun part is finding good spells that trigger heroic. For example Rally the Righteous is your generic one-shot +2/+0 to the whole army for three mana, but the radiance mechanic means this global effect actually targets my general, which means the total bonus is +3/+1 and trample to the whole team. I've actually killed a man a few men with this card. Cards like Outmaneuver give me my boost AND let me use it at the same time. Some have flashback, some are cantrips, some have multiple targets. Trying to pick the cream of the crop here. These cards also happen to be dirt cheap, so if someone's looking for a budget commander, see above for tips :D

NOTE: I found out that the deck really doesn't need heroic creatures other than A&C, since their trigger is by far the best of the bunch and the spells I use to trigger it are useful by themselves.

Currently want to add:
Prophetic Flamespeaker
Warren Instigator
Mirran Crusader
Asault Strobe

TL,DR: Mass trample in Boros is scary.

In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.

Last edited by Antis on 2015-Mar-14 9:25 am, edited 20 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: THIS! IS! AKROS!!!
AgePosted: 2014-Feb-12 8:17 pm 

I support and endorse this deck.

Let's see... how about Shared Animosity? You have enough creatures that share a type that it could get pretty silly, especially with trample for all.

Have you thought about Heliod and/or Purphoros,? Spamming all these little dudes onto the field should turn them on pretty easily, and Purhpy is just stupid with Assemble the Legion. It's too bad we don't have Iroas yet - I'm sure he'll be right up this deck's alley.

You might want something like Sigil of the New Dawn or Second Sunrise to help with recovery from sweepers, perhaps Twilight Shepherd?

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-13 3:40 am 

I thought Iroas was a she (like Nike)? I can't wait for her either, at any rate.

Anyway this reminds me a little bit of my Tajic list (except obviously with more of a focus on Heroic than Battalion), so I can give you some suggestions from that, starting with Tajic himself. Even with the focus on Heroic over Battalion, with A&C out your plan is presumably going to be attacking with a bunch of dudes anyway, and thus Battalion is still great in this deck--and Tajic is a pretty freaking awesome Battalion Creature (and IMO a much better Boros Legendary than Brion Stoutarm).

Other Creatures worth considering are Firemane Avenger, Frontline Medic, Keldon Firebombers (if you intend to keep your deck with a low curve; my Tajic list has 30 Lands and 12 other mana sources), Kor Sanctifiers, Kor Skyfisher (probably even better here, since you can re-use an Aura's Heroic trigger), Loxodon Gatekeeper, and Silverblade Paladin. Daru Warchief and Preeminent Captain are good if you want to go for the Soldier sub-theme.

For other spells, you may wish to also look at Five-Alarm Fire (repeatable burn is good), Ghostway (nonbo with Heroic, but combo with opposing board wipes), Legion's Initiative, Magma Jet, Mogg Infestation,and Wave of Indifference (you know, to round out your collection of "X target creatures can't block" spells).

Finally you don't list a whole lot at all in the way of Lands, so apart from the obvious array of RW duals you may have available to you, consider also adding Forgotten Cave and Secluded Steppe, Mutavault (particularly if you go the Soldier route), Remote Farm and Sandstone Needle (underestimated in aggressive decks, IMO), Slayers' Stronghold (I actually like this a lot better then Sunhome; Sunhome is expensive), and Spinerock Knoll and Windbrisk Heights.

You have some interesting ideas in your list! In particular I'm not quite sure how Knight of the White Orchid and Balefire Liege didn't make the cut in my own list, as with Faith's Reward or Reveillark. I also like the Sunforger (which my list lacks the support for), but I'd consider whether or not you have enough spells you can search for meaningfully with it to earn it a slot--if so, definitely add Mistveil Plains (and maybe add Madblind Mountain) to your list of Lands. A great spell in any Sunforger package, it's worth noting, is Warleader's Helix.

Finally, here's some cards I think your deck can easily do without: Spark Trooper (an efficient card yes, but efficiency doesn't win the day in this format), Akroan Skyguard and Arena Athlete (I know you want to push the Heroic theme, but these guys' effects are much too small to be eating your cards), Fight to the Death (particularly considering all the ways you dodge blocking), Intimidation Bolt (almost a Lightning Strike stapled to a Holy Day; neither card is really worthwhile), Resurrection (cute, but probably slower than you want it to be), Inquisitor's Flail (in a deck that shuns Equipment, how is this worth an exception?), and Crusade (for one, not all of your Creatures are White).

Definitely best of luck for this list! Aggro is under-appreciated, but I believe it can be done right. :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-13 5:10 am 

I love your attention to flavor here :)

So heroic huh? Honestly I cannot say that Im that big of a fan of the mechanic, or Anax and Cymede, but that wont stop me from trying to help you out here.
My main grief with Heroic is that it tends to lose you card advantage, you need to run a lot of (generally) one use spells just to make your guy work, and if you are not drawing any extra cards you will quickly run out of steam.
So how do we fix this? By adding re-usable and bouncable spells. Stuff that will guarantee you get a trigger or two of heroic without you needing to spend the card you drew for the turn on it, and/or gives triggers on draws that are not targeting spells.
I might try and play cards like Brilliant Halo, Angelic Destiny, and Spirit Loop seeing as they can be recycled if stuff goes south and your dudes die.
The really good cards for the deck I think though are the bouncers like Flickering Ward, Crown of Flames, Mark of Fury, Conviction, and Ghitu Firebreathing(Instant speed repeatable triggers for during combat step!).

Also things that let you choose free targets are good like Rolling Thunder, or Wave of Indifference since you can target your own guys for extra heroic triggers with them for added versatility.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-13 6:22 am 

Knightaru wrote:
Slayers' Stronghold (I actually like this a lot better then Sunhome; Sunhome is expensive)

Double Strike > +2/+0 Vigilance & Haste. It's expensive because it's ridiculously good. That said it loses some power here just because the creatures are pretty small.

Knightaru wrote:
Intimidation Bolt (almost a Lightning Strike stapled to a Holy Day; neither card is really worthwhile)

I really like Intimibolt, because it's NOT a holy day - it actually prevents attacking (almost) altogether. You don't even have to kill your target to make an opponent skip their attack phase, and that can be invaluable in a world full of eldrazi and titans.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-13 7:54 am 

Acch, RoarMaster took most of my suggestions. Those reusable auras are awesome.

Others:
Leonin Sun Standard
Reconnaissance
Cathars' Crusade

Color Pie Project

White: Rune-Tail, Kitsune Ascendant
Blue: Braids, Conjurer Adept
Black: Anowon, the Ruin Sage
Red: Kumano, Master Yamabushi
Green: Omnath, Locus of Mana

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-13 9:59 am 

Very nicely done on the flavor here. :D

I see you're passing on 1 drops, but Figure of Destiny IMO is too good to ignore in these types of decks.

Suggestions -

Overall I think you need 5-6 more creatures and a bit less buff to make this really sing.

Archangel of Thune
Vanguard of Brimaz
Akroan Crusader
Calvary Pegasus
White Knight
Silver Knight
Knight of Meadowgrain
Paladin en-Vec
Tajic
Firemane Avenger
Honor The Pure
Legion's Initiative
Gods Willing
Blasphemous Act (This card is insane in Commander as a reset for aggro if the opponent has stabilized)
Rootborn Defenses (Goes against flavor, but another protection against wipes is key)
Maybe Isochron Scepter on something like Coordinated Assault to get to have the effect every turn.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-13 10:15 am 

Did I just miss someone mentioning buyback cards? Anoint and Seething Anger are both incredibly good for the Heroic ability.

The only other card I could think of, at the moment, which hasn't already been mentioned is Masako the Humorless. Helps out so much with saving yourself from getting blown out after an alpha strike.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-13 3:20 pm 

Segrus wrote:
Did I just miss someone mentioning buyback cards? Anoint and Seething Anger are both incredibly good for the Heroic ability.

I think Segrus wins this thread. Moving on.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-15 3:25 am 

Oh, wow...thanks so much for all the responses and suggestions! I apologise I won't run through all of them here, since there are so many, but I've read them all and I appreciate every single one :D

Right now, I'm inclining to make the part of the deck that isn't heroic enblers, wraths or recursion a distillation of creatures (and other cards) that have one or more of the following qualities, the more the better:

1) Are Humans.
2) Are Soldiers.
3) Give bonuses to Humans and/or Soldiers.
4) Have heroic.
5) Have double strike.
6) Make tokens (preferably Human and/or Soldier)
7) Give a considerable boost to the entire army.
8) Give card advantage.
9) Are Boros Angels.

Phew, that should do it. You know, either that or Slivers. Seriously, there are 30(!) Slivers I could run. Ignoring the bad ones (like Armor Sliver), I could have +1/+0, +1/+1, +2/+0 (x2), +X/+0, haste (x2), first strike (x2), double strike (x2), flying, lifelink, provoke, flanking, cycling, trample, protection, pinging and a few odd ones. And I could run Blades of Velis Vel :twisted:

Hmmm... Choices...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-19 10:44 pm 

Anoint does not target so it will not trigger Heroic

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-19 11:26 pm 

paloflimdul wrote:
Anoint does not target so it will not trigger Heroic

It does. Read the oracle text.

"Prevent the next 3 damage that would be dealt to target creature this turn."

Mayael the Anima

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-19 11:37 pm 

If you're going to run auras that you can bounce then I recommend Mesa Enchantress and Kor Spiritdancer.

+1 for Mogg Infestation. That's just too cool :)

Mayael the Anima

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-20 3:32 am 

Celerus wrote:
If you're going to run auras that you can bounce then I recommend Mesa Enchantress and Kor Spiritdancer.

+1 for Mogg Infestation. That's just too cool :)

Already thought about that, but still not sure how many auras will actually be in.

Mogg Infestation is way cool - I know, I already play it in two decks :D

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-27 11:02 pm 

Antis, have you tested this deck yet? When I started rebuilding my various decks last week, or the week before or whenever we started doing the post-by-posts, I kept running across the five or six Anax and Cymedes I have. Finally, I just started pulling out any and all cards I thought might go into it just so I could focus more clearly on what I was really wanting to build.

After some 250-300 cards picked out (see picture), now I feel obligated to build the silly thing. I think my version will be a little different from yours, but I wondered how your's played at the moment. I'm definitely heading in the Enchantment-matters direction, although I really wished I could have found the two buyback cards in my collection.

If I can manage to get my head wrapped around how I'm going to build this, I'll post the decklist here or in its own thread or something...

Just the pile in the forefront of the picture--nothing in the pile with the Ulamog on top is part of this. That Ulamog is a different deck being constructed...someday...

Offline Profile