Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jun-16 12:58 am

Post subject: Thraximundar Tribal Zombie
AgePosted: 2015-Mar-28 8:13 am 

So this was the first EDH deck I built and I feel like I have been struggling with it for awhile. It can do some good stuff, and sometimes it runs really smooth, but it is also liable to fall on it's face. It often seems to get mana screwed and sometimes miss land drops in the early game. I've tried upping the lands and now have 37 with 5 additional artifacts and I don't want to go too much higher. Besides I don't know what to cut at this point. I was hopping some fresh eyes might help.

The deck is a UBR zombie tribal deck (although mostly mono black with a heavy blue and light red splash) and is designed with synergy and attrition in mind. The goal is to be able to come back from wraths and the like very quickly and set up small two or three card synergies that generate value, particularly around using sacrifice outlets.

Deck List:

Commander
Thraximundar

Creatures 25
-generic zombie tribal
Souless One
Shepherd of Rot
Undead Warchief
Death Barron
Cemetery Reaper
Corpse Harvester
-returns self
Vengful Pharaoh
Gravecrawler
Pyre Zombie
Undead Gladiator
Tymaret, the Murder King
-makes zombies
Grave Titan
Maalfeld Twins
Lich Lord of Unx
-sacrifice effects
Grimgrin, Corpse-Born
Nantuko Husk
Phyrexian Ghoul
Fleshbag Marauder
-returns others
Crypt Champion
Havengul Lich
Mikaeus, the Unhallowed
Lord of the Undead
-other
Geralf's Messenger
Withered Wretch
Deathbringer Thoctar
Lim-Dul the Necromancer (Might cut, too expensive, not zombie, and fragile)

Spells 30
-spot removal
Grixis Charm
Crosis Charm
Go for the Throat
Sudden Death
Cruel Revival
Terminate
-forced sac
Innocent Blood
Barter in Blood
Syphon Flesh
Call to the Grave
Liliana of the Veil
-bounce
Cyclonic Rift
Recoil
-Sweepers
Life's Finale
Nevinyrral's Disk
Mutilate (may remove soon)
-counters
Counterspell
Hinder
-Zombie creation
Endless Ranks of the Dead
Moan of the Unhallowed
Unscythe, Killer of Kings
-synergy
Rooftop Storm
Grave Betrayal
Grave Pact
-draw
Compulsive Research
Phyrexian Arena
Skullclamp
-return
Torrent of Souls
Nim Deathmantle
-other
Profane Command

Mana Rocks 5
Izzet Signet
Dimir Signet
Darksteel Ingot
Chromatic Lantern
Sol Ring

Lands 37
-Utility
Unholy Grotto
Volrath's Stronghold
Stripmine
-multi colored
Steam Vents
Watery Grave
Blood Crypt
Sunken Ruins
Dragonskull Summit
Drowned Catacomb
Darkslick Shores
Crumbling Necropolis
Akoum Refuge
Dismal Backwater
Dimir Aquiduct
Rakdos Carnarium
Izzet Boilerworks
-fetches
Polluted Delta
Scalding Tarn
Bad River
Evolving Wilds
-Other
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Shizo, Death's Storehouse
-basics
14 Swamp
1 Island

So their is the deck. Some combos to look for: Gravecrawler is the work horse of the deck. Their are so many cards that are good without it but insane with it. Pump a husk or Grimgrin really big, draw tons of cards with skullclamp, sac him necrosavaunt to get him back, chuck him to cards like innocent blood to remove the symmetry. And if you have rooftop storm out you can go infinite with many of those. Many of those combos work okay with other cards like pyre zombie or just use tokens from something like Grave Titan (who is sad because he is not actually a zombie). Death Barron and deathbringer thoctar turn into a machine gun, as long as the thoctar has seen something die he can murder everything else all day long.

As you can see their are a few cards I am already thinking of cutting, although I have a few more that I might put in. I am planning on adding Buried Alive, mostly as a tutor for Gravecrawler who might be the best card in the deck (get him, necrosavaunt or Pharaoh and maybe undead gladiator). I'm also thinking of putting in Animate dead. That said, I think I need a few more creatures. I've thought about Liliana's Reaver as it only costs 4 and can spit out zombies. From Dragons I'm looking at maybe adding Risen Executioner as he pumps my guys and brings himself back, although it might be too expensive, and I might try to get a new Sidisi since this deck could probably use an actual tutor anyway. I do wish their were a few more really good ways to get more zombies on the battlefield without eating up my graveyard since the whole point of the deck is that I intend to get back most of my stuff that dies.

So what do you think and any suggestions?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Thraximundar Tribal Zombie
AgePosted: 2015-Mar-28 8:41 am 

I love it! I especially love that you're running Endless Ranks of the Dead.

How do you feel about Ghoulcaller Gisa and/or Stitcher Geralf? More Innistrady flavor is always good in my book, zombies will probably never have a block that is about them as much. I really love the new Corpseweft. Nothing like stitching broken zombies together into a new abomination. It's just efficient use of bodies.

As far as the behind-the-scenes stuff:

I really do think that 37 lands is very low. At first blush, I would say that you should bump it up to 39...I know that cuts are hard. As far as mana rocks go, I always liked ones that gave a lot of bang for their buck; I count on my lands to mana fix. Possibly you can trade in your Darksteel Ingot and Chromatic Lantern for Worn Powerstone and Thran Dynamo, they have great rates.

I'd be tempted to cut removal to jam in more zombielicious stuff. Just trust your gut at where you need to stop, and be ready to retract any tweaks after playtesting.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-28 8:57 am 

I forgot about gisa, I had planned to look for her when I first saw her spoiled but then forgot about her. I'll see about finding two or three more land slots. I was also thinking about trying to get Jet Medallion as most of the cards in the deck are black and it will help on turns where I'm trying to cast more than one thing.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-28 9:44 am 

There's a new zombie lord in Khans block... Risen Executioner.

Sidisi, Undead Vizier is also a zombie.

Vengeful Dead might be worth a look, and Noxious Ghoul. And if you do both of those, Tombstone Stairwell might be harder to find, but... *shudder* (check the oracle - the stairwell makes zombies)

Call to the Grave and/or Grave Pact seem good for board control.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-29 9:34 pm 

Your support spells seem a little off, and that is likely your issue. You have very little actual card draw, coupled with a large number of spells that trade 1 for 1. I assume you play this multiplayer, but I could be wrong, as this list looks optimized for 1 Vs 1 play.

One suggestion would be to look at cards like Gem of Becoming. Card draw like Ambition's Cost, Ancient Craving, and Concentrate can start to put you into positive card advantage without being so big and splashy they get stopped.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-30 1:31 am 

There's always Graveborn Muse as well, although it would need to be paired with either strong lifegain or a decent sac outlet to avoid an early death.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-30 6:49 am 

Thanks for the sugesstions

A few of the zombie cards mentioned I have looked at and discounted for various reasons. Tombstone Stairwell is a great card that I thought about putting in but I just don't fill up my yard enough for it to be good, especially since I'm usually putting the creatures in my graveyard back into my hand or in play. Also one of the main decks I play is a RB goblins deck that very much does use the graveyard.

I have been thinking about how to get a bit more draw in the deck. Before this I had a 60 card zombie deck that ran muse and it was great but when I was building this I just didn't have enough sac outlets to run it. That said I have been reconsidering it recently. I have also thought if getting cruel ultimatum as a late game recharge card although that is pretty big counter bait.

I somewhat disagree about my deck not having card advantage, just a lot isn't in the form of draw. Innocent blood or barter can get advantage esspecially with stuff like Gerald's mesonger or a twins, cruel revival is a 2 for 1, i have some sweepers (and a crux of fate that i just got) and by recurring zombies I can net son advantage. That said I'm cutting go for the throat and maybe one other removal spell, but probably for land.

And I have recently been playing more 1 on 1 but I hope to fix that.

Offline Profile