Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Aug-17 6:56 am

Post subject: Re: Jenara, Asura of War revamp
AgePosted: 2015-Mar-24 8:57 am 

I finally fixed this deck up to be like, legitimately playable. I dont have an Elesh Norn or a Craterhoof Behemoth so they're on backburner for now and I put

Cauldron of Souls and Leyline of Anticipation in.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-24 4:01 pm 

Ziontific wrote:
I'm toying with cutting Mycoloth for, basically, the same reason you mentioned. I either dont have anything I want to sac or it eats shit immediately.

If it were me, I'd want to live the dream of having Mycoloth and Cathars' Crusade out at the same time... because damn.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-25 12:47 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Ziontific wrote:
I'm toying with cutting Mycoloth for, basically, the same reason you mentioned. I either dont have anything I want to sac or it eats shit immediately.

If it were me, I'd want to live the dream of having Mycoloth and Cathars' Crusade out at the same time... because damn.

Short of running more tutors, this is unlikely to say the least, but my Vigor/Lightmine Field combo is so much dumber and I even keep that so....¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-25 10:19 am 

Ziontific wrote:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

How did you make the face on that?

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-25 2:06 pm 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Ziontific wrote:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Copy-paste, duh! :P

Actually, isn't it a Japanese character?

Mycoloth + Cathars' Crusade is sweet. I've tried to make it happen in a Trostani deck, but alas, it was never meant to be. Getting those pieces together without interruption is so incredibly rare. In the one deck I still have Mycoloth, I don't normally see it last more than a turn cycle before someone shoots off a wrath.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-26 1:53 am 

Segrus wrote:
Sid the Chicken wrote:
Ziontific wrote:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Copy-paste, duh! :P

Actually, isn't it a Japanese character?

Yes. It's a Katakana (the script usually used for company names and non-Japanese transliterated words) "tsu." If you have Japanese keyboard settings then you can type them out just like this: ツ

If you wanted something slightly different, you could instead use the Katakana "shi" which is: シ

Putrid Pirate Proliferation
Lord of Voltronhorn
Unlife of the Party
Jaya Ballard, Discard Mage
Zedruu and the Minotaurs
Vish Kal's ManSlaughterhouse
Izzet Any Good?

Chorus of Counters

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-26 2:08 am 

I use http://textfac.es for all of my stupid text emoji needs.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-26 10:41 am 

Ziontific wrote:
I use http://textfac.es for all of my stupid text emoji needs.

I was not aware of that! Neat.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-26 4:40 pm 

lumination wrote:
The deck seems really low on ramp, so I'd run more effects in the vein of Cultivate, Ranger's Path, ...

This deck seems super low on mana in general. At 34 lands, you got a good chance of getting stuck on 2 on not being able to play a cultivate or Jenara on t3. (Also, I personally wouldn't play Cultivate with Jenara... I like being able to cast stuff on curve, so I'd probably drop the 3 mana ramps for more Rampant Growths.)

If you like playing the big team pumps, you might think about adding more mana dorks. A Bird of Paradise makes for a surprisingly handy beatstick once it's got a pile of counters and a Collective Blessing behind it.

Bloom Tender's pretty neat with Jenara too (it's kinda pricey tho).

(also welcome back, btw)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-27 12:31 am 

Yeah, and unfortunately, this deck keeps proving that. Every time I run a playtest, it's gorgeous. I get as much mana as I need, I drop Bear Umbra and Garruk, or I drop Mirari's Wake and Oracle, and I ramp and wreck the board.

Every time I play in an actual game, I usually sit at 2 - 5 mana the whole game. It's frustrating. I DO know I have a rampant growth and several extra BoP's so I'll probably take that advice once I get home. This deck is fast and furious - when it's online. I feel like I spend a lot of time moderately frustrated with it. Bloom Tender is also one of my favorite cards art-wise; I've wanted one for ages anyway. Maybe I'll bite. :p

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-27 10:26 am 

Anytime I deviate from 38 lands + 8 pieces of ramp, I find I suffer.

I'm actually closer to always running 40 land sources, including land tutors that cost CMC < 2.

Better to mana flooded then mana starved, especially in a list running Jenara who is a mana sink herself.

Giltspire Avenger seems like a random pick, exalted or not.

I feel like Genesis would be hard to get into the yard.

You have a small pillowfort sub theme, maybe to support Luminarch Ascension? You could cut into this area if you were looking for room and focus on the token + counter theme instead.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-30 6:58 am 

I made a couple of cuts and shuffled things around a bit today, hopefully to the betterment of my mana base. :P

- Cultivate
- Genesis
- Reveillark
- White Sun's Zenith

+ Rampant Growth
+ 3 Forest

Someone mentioned the curve on cultivate vs rampant growth, and I agree.
Genesis is not too hard to bin - I just play him and keep swinging until someone is forced to block or destroy - but once he's in the yard I find that I don't use him as often as I'd like to, either due to needing to redirect mana elsewhere or not enough actual creatures in the yard (since a great deal of my force tends to be tokens...).
Reveillark is a nice idea but is a pretty expensive on the curve and I never seem to have the good targets in the grave.
White Sun's Zenith has never worked for many of the same reasons I already listed for Storm Herd. I think there's probably more efficient ways to make tokens and more importantly, protect them, than a straight mana dump. Maybe I'm wrong and it'll come back in but I just don't find it playing out as well in practice.

I like giltspire as a deterrent (you did mention my slight pillowfort theme and I think that's pretty common for me in almost any deck, as I like to be left alone unless I'm going for the throat), and I'd like to run him a little longer and see how he works out for me before I decide on the cut.

Offline Profile