Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-16 6:18 am

Post subject: Max of Trax
AgePosted: 2018-May-17 10:53 am 

I would like to present for your purview my first attempt at Traxos, Scourge of Kroog. I don't know if anybody here has already tried it out yet, but Traxos is probably the first colorless legend I've been really interested in trying out. While there certainly are other colorless deck options--like golems and Eldrazi and just straight artifacts--those are all fairly worn paths which didn't seem to fit right for me. But a 7/7 trampler for {4} with a downside is something I can work with. Without further ado, the deck:

Removal & Prevention: (13)
Phyrexian Revoker
Tangle Wire
Torpor Orb
Spine of Ish Sah
Pithing Needle
Grafdigger's Cage
Unstable Obelisk
Predator, Flagship
Orb of Dreams
Helvault
Arena of the Ancients
Triangle of War
Relic of Progenitus

Scour from Existence
Gruesome Slaughter

This is...possibly a little more messy of a section than I'd like. There's a mix of a number of different things I've wanted to play in a deck and just never gotten a chance to. Orb of Dreams and Arena of the Ancients are going to affect me less than my opponents, since it is something I'm already going to deal with/work around. Gruesome Slaughter should also be very interesting here, as I should have some opportunities to untap Traxos multiple times in a turn. I'm thinking Orb, Arena, and Tangle Wire are very possibly the first to go to make improvements.

Mana: (18)
Walking Atlas
Everflowing Chalice
Mind Stone
Thran Dynamo
Armillary Sphere
Doubling Cube
Sol Ring
Prying Blade
Hedron Archive
Thought Vessel
Fellwar Stone
Sword of the Animist
Surveyor's Scope
Pilgrim's Eye
Dreamstone Hedron
Expedition Map
Mycosynth Wellspring
Palladium Myr

I expect to have to replay Traxos a lot, but I don't necessarily have a free copy of the best ramp. Hopefully these will do.

Card Draw & Recursion: (12)
Skeleton Key
Trading Post
Horn of Greed
Staff of Nin
Scarecrone
Conqueror's Galleon
Tamiyo's Journal
Loreseeker's Stone

Treasure Keeper
Scrap Trawler

Codex Shredder
Workshop Assistant

Okay, so again here I'm probably mostly limited by my available card pool. Horn of Greed isn't the best choice and Skeleton Key is okay but really just "okay." Some of the other ones are pretty good, so we'll have to see how they all play out.

Combat: (14)
Haunted Cloak
Unwinding Clock
Voltaic Key

Banshee's Blade
Fireshrieker
Sword of War and Peace
Jabari's Banner
Swiftfoot Boots
Nemesis Mask
Lightning Greaves
Prototype Portal (? doesn't really fit anywhere :facepalm: )

Walker of the Wastes
Darksteel Juggernaut
Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger

Here's where I have some of the better cards in the deck. Vigilance and ways to untap are going to be useful, but I could find some more space for these. Jabari's Banner plus Nemesis Mask is going to be sweet; each of them on their own will be pretty good. Ulamog is here just because the cards is too good not to have a place for (and I had a free copy).

Lands: (40)
Wastes x 26
Mystifying Maze
Scavenger Grounds
Urza's Mine
Urza's Tower
Urza's Power Plant
Darksteel Citadel
Shrine of the Forsaken Gods
Glacial Chasm
Encroaching Wastes
Spawning Bed
Ghost Quarter
Sea Gate Wreckage
Rogue's Passage
Haunted Fengraf

Don't hate me. Lands are spread very, very thin for me.

Take your time ripping the deck apart. There's lots of room for improvement and I'd like to make this a deck I'm happy to play rather than feel obligated to build.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Max of Trax
AgePosted: 2018-May-18 12:43 pm 

Cool, I had similar feelings about Traxos, but I'm probably building Evra first or instead. There's bound to be some overlap given the restrictive color identities.

In general, I think you could use more creatures. Removal is limited (though you did find some clever options), so being able to block or force opponents to leave back blockers seems important. Cards like Wurmcoil Engine and Steel Hellkite may be overplayed, but in colorless I think it's forgivable. Kozilek's Channeler and maybe some other midrange Eldrazi seem OK.

Lifelink equipment like Loxodon Warhammer, Batterskull, and Basilisk Collar make it harder to race you.

I'm not a fan of group hug cards like Horn of Greed, especially in decks that are aggressively trying to kill opponents. I like Seer's Sundial, The Immortal Sun, the ubiquitous Mind's Eye, Tapestry of the Ages and even Urza's Tome better. Mirrorworks is also pretty bonkers in a deck like this. Skeleton Key is particularly terrible in a deck with a 7-power commander and not many other creatures. Mask of Memory, Rogue's Gloves, and Key to the City are much better.

Darksteel Forge is expensive, but I think you have the ramp to support a few more cards in that mana range, assuming you don't get Vandalblasted first.

Arena of the Ancients is the kind of card that could win you games, but if it does your opponents may be having less fun than usual. It's your call whether it's appropriate in your playgroup or typical environment. Glacial Chasm has a similar issue, but also means you probably aren't doing much except waiting until someone else wraths the creatures threatening you. Speaking of which, Oblivion Stone and Nevinyrral's Disk seem reasonable, though you would want to use them judiciously.

If you have a couple hundred extra bucks to throw at it, Ugin, and both Karn planeswalkers are pretty good, I hear.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-May-19 1:52 am 

NMS wrote:
If you have a couple hundred extra bucks to throw at it...

Yeah, well... :oops:

That'll be mostly what's holding me back: money. It's not that I don't necessarily know what is good in the deck (but I'm super happy to hear about some cool interaction I've missed), just that I'm not currently in the position where I want to be spending the kind of money it would take to 100% this deck.

That being said, you've brought up plenty of good points. Removal is very lacking here, and I could use some more creatures. I want to steer away from building GENERIC ARTIFACT DECK and GENERIC ELDRAZI DECK, but that doesn't mean I can't have any--I don't really have a option, haha. Steel Hellkite is a good choice, and one that I didn't realize was so cheap (hey, same for N-Disk). It's also possible I can shake a Loxodon Warhammer from another deck, but Basilisk Collar is probably stuck where it is and the only Batterskull I own sits in my Cube. Batterskull might be something I consider finding a really terrible copy of though, if it's at the right price (same for Darksteel Forge).

Card draw is very likely the weakest part of the deck. Unfortunately, that's probably where I'm trapped the most. I think I still have a Rogue's Gloves somewhere, but I'll have to go hunting--I forgot about it completely. Tapestry of the Ages is also possible. All of the rest you've mentioned I either don't have a copy available or have never had a copy available. Well...that's being said, I do have a Mirrorworks.

Mirrorworks felt like a win-more card for me. The copies it makes don't untap Traxos (only untaps from casting historic spells), so it'll only really combo with whatever else is in the deck. Which sort makes me wonder if it'll only be a distraction in just comboing/synergizing with artifacts rather than building Traxos up. For the moment, I'm torn about it.

Arena of the Ancients will be controversial, but I'm okay with that. There's got to be some spicy cards in the deck. Just by building an artifact deck I'll be pretty vulnerable to being hated out, so Arena will be one of my stronger cards.

Thanks for taking a look at the deck. You've given me a lot to think about.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-01 11:29 am 

I shuffled some stuff around and here's some changes I'm going to make to the deck for next time I play it:

Remove: Orb of Dreams, Banshee's Blade, Tangle Wire, Haunted Cloak, Treasure Keeper, Scour from Existence, 1x Wastes

Add: Kuldotha Forgemaster, Meekstone, Energy Chamber, Steel Hellkite, Golden Guardian, Nevinyrral's Disk, Clock of Omens

I agree some more creatures are needed, but I'm not settled on how many I want to add and what I want to take out. Another oppressive card is getting added, but I think some powerful effects are needed in this deck (and I don't really have the money to just start buying up additional copies of planeswalkers). Energy Chamber is likely better for me than Banshee's Blade, although I know they can go together. With the cards I have in this deck, Kuldotha Forgemaster shouldn't be too broken. And I do kinda want to see how Golden Guardian performs, since the flipside is decent and can start generating tokens when I need it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-03 5:47 pm 

Those mostly seem like good changes. I'm not sure you have enough relevant targets for Clock of Omens, though I guess it can make a lot of mana sometimes. And while I'm normally not too impressed by Scour, it is one of your few removal spells. Similarly, Haunted Cloak is one of your few sources of haste, though Fleetfeather Sandals and Chariot of Victory might be slightly more relevant. Some other good voltron equipment are Hammer of Nazahn and Darksteel Plate for protection and Whispersilk Cloak, Prowler's Helm, and Trailblazer's Boots for evasion.

There's certainly no shame in not wanting to spend huge amounts of money on casual Magic decks. I basically only spend money on Magic for prereleases and the occasional draft. I trade for the cards I want for EDH on Cardsphere (and before that, PucaTrade).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-03 9:47 pm 

Clock of Omens is more for having available another source of untapping Trax if I'm stuck with few cards (or don't want to play the cards I have, for whatever reason). It could technically make a lot of mana via Doubling Cube, if I need to. And while I took out Scour, I put in a better removal spell in Nevinyrral's Disk and a second potential removal source with Steel Hellkite.

I was actually eyeing the vigilance ability of Haunted Cloak, meaning I wouldn't have to play spells every turn just to untap Trax. I'm going to stick with what I have for now and see if it works out. It could be that I need more equipment. I'm not unfamiliar with what I could put in--just recently put together a Balan, Wandering Knight deck to see how that goes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-04 7:28 am 

Yeah, most of those are pretty well-known. I don't think I've ever seen anyone else play Fleetfeather Sandals though. I have it in a peasant (commons and uncommons only) deck led by Lady Orca, but I think it's reasonable even in a less restricted card pool.

I'm looking forward to hearing how your deck does.

Offline Profile