Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-12 1:40 pm

Post subject: Roon's My Ally
AgePosted: 2018-Jun-20 1:04 pm 

I was asked to post what I have for an Ally deck, but I won't make any claims that this is a good deck or that is fits anybody's personal definition of what "Tribal" means outside of my own. But regardless, I hope you enjoy the deck as it's one of several iterations to make something like this build work.

Firstly, this deck is one in a rather long line of failed attempts to make something like Clone Tribal. I've tried at least a few different iterations and colors for cloning, and focusing on cloning just never seemed to play out like I thought it should in my head. Everybody plays great creatures, right? Well, I'll just borrow them for myself and win the game!

However, it doesn't really play out that way. Most likely, those really strong creatures are very often legendary and so you'll only get a single copy of it. While your opponent's decks will be tuned to take advantage of those legendary creatures, you're probably only scraping by. Other times your opponents will quickly catch onto what you're doing and stop playing really good creatures until they can prevent you from copying them or take you out. So what's a person to do?

Well, it became fairly clear I needed to adjust my gameplan. Copying other people's creatures is nice, but I need to start by having my own great creatures and building from there. But what combination of good creatures should I begin with?

There's a lot of ways you can answer this. I answered it by asking my Allies for help.

Creatures: 27
1x Beastcaller Savant
1x Emeria Shepherd
1x Faerie Artisans
1x Fathom Mage
1x Forgotten Ancient
1x Hada Freeblade
1x Harabaz Druid
1x Hero of Goma Fada
1x Jwari Shapeshifter
1x Kabira Evangel
1x Kor Bladewhirl
1x Kor Entanglers
1x Lantern Scout
1x Makindi Patrol
1x Munda's Vanguard
1x Ondu Cleric
1x Progenitor Mimic
1x Regal Behemoth
1x Reveillark
1x Sakura-Tribe Elder
1x Sea Gate Loremaster
1x Sun Titan
1x Talus Paladin
1x Turntimber Ranger
1x Veteran Warleader
1x Vitu-Ghazi Guildmage
1x Wayfaring Temple

Planeswalkers: 1
1x Gideon, Ally of Zendikar

Artifacts: 3
1x Bident of Thassa
1x Mimic Vat
1x Mirage Mirror

Enchantments: 9
1x Back from the Brink
1x Dance of Many
1x Detention Sphere
1x Druids' Repository
1x Followed Footsteps
1x Growing Ranks
1x Mirror Mockery
1x Oblivion Ring
1x Seance

Instants: 9
1x Cackling Counterpart
1x Desertion
1x Druid's Deliverance
1x Fated Infatuation
1x Plasm Capture
1x Rootborn Defenses
1x Sundering Growth
1x Swords to Plowshares
1x Trostani's Judgment

Sorceries: 10
1x Farseek
1x Harvest Season
1x Kodama's Reach
1x Phyrexian Rebirth
1x Rampant Growth
1x Rishkar's Expertise
1x Rite of Replication
1x Shamanic Revelation
1x Spitting Image
1x Wake the Reflections

Lands: 40
1x Breeding Pool
1x Evolving Wilds
1x Exotic Orchard
1x Flood Plain
9x Forest
1x Grasslands
1x Grove of the Guardian
1x Hinterland Harbor
8x Island
1x Krosan Verge
1x Nimbus Maze
8x Plains
1x Seaside Citadel
1x Selesnya Sanctuary
1x Simic Growth Chamber
1x Sunpetal Grove
1x Temple Garden
1x Unclaimed Territory

Back from the Brink and Seance are really good in here for after a board wipe, because you can capture some of the Allies you've lost and begin populating tokens (the trick with Seance is the token created by it disappears at the end of turn, but copies of those tokens don't). Reveillark does some work returning cards if you can since it hits so many Allies, but it's possible there's a better card for the slot (some might argue I should include Seascape Aerialist, but I haven't generally needed the effect).

Other possible includes: Helm of the Hosts (this card deserves a slot, but I forgot to get one last time I bought cards); Blade of Selves (drat, I think I have a free copy somewhere, but I'll have to find it); God-Pharaoh's Gift (I'm hesitant based on CMC, but please sell me on it if you think it'll be good here). There's some others I've considered and passed on from time to time. Conjurer's Closet is cool, but blinking Allies is a backup plan with Roon to just trying to pump out copies of creatures. It's very possible I should find my copy of Minion Reflector for here, but you can't really copy those tokens like you can from other cards.

Even if this isn't to your taste, maybe it'll give you a good idea for what you'd rather do and that'll be enough for me.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Roon's My Ally
AgePosted: 2018-Jun-27 5:37 am 

I would love to see Arcane Adaptation in the deck. Turns Roon into an Ally, and Turntimber Ranger gives you unlimited wolf tokens (since they will also be allies) without ending the game due to "unstoppable effects" clause; Since it's a may ability.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Roon's My Ally
AgePosted: 2018-Jun-27 12:41 pm 

Superstrength79 wrote:
I would love to see Arcane Adaptation in the deck. Turns Roon into an Ally, and Turntimber Ranger gives you unlimited wolf tokens (since they will also be allies) without ending the game due to "unstoppable effects" clause; Since it's a may ability.

Thank for the consideration! Honestly, I did used to have Xenograft in the deck. It's just too cheesy of a win condition for me. My history section kinda gives a hint why, and that's due to the deck not being an Ally deck originally. It became an Ally deck over time, because I took a leap of faith that it'd all work out like I felt it would in my head--I've since been rewarded for that, as the deck has worked out pretty well.

I could still technically put both Xenograft and Arcane Adaptation into the deck, I just don't feel like they do enough without Turntimber Ranger. I don't need Roon to always be an Ally either. Roon's an Ally just by virtue of blinking all of them. :D

Offline Profile