Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-14 2:38 am

Post subject: Re: Zurgo's Kor
AgePosted: 2015-Feb-01 2:34 am 

Just an FYI, Simulacrum might not be as awesome as you thought - the oracle text says you gain life and Simulacrum deals damage, so if you Simulacrum all your damage onto a Phyrexian Obliterator, you're gonna have a bad time.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Feb-01 5:47 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Just an FYI, Simulacrum might not be as awesome as you thought - the oracle text says you gain life and Simulacrum deals damage, so if you Simulacrum all your damage onto a Phyrexian Obliterator, you're gonna have a bad time.
I knew this--it's the only way to make "retroactive" really work. I'm not bothered by the Oracle text. It still works with a lot of cards in the deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Feb-01 5:50 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
That may be true, but Segrus is running other cards with which it does work, like Spitemare. That and the pure coolness factor of running such an oldschool gem :D

Aaand ninja'd by the master himself :D

In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Feb-01 8:13 am 

Segrus wrote:
Do I need to go up as far as Necropotence when something like Sign in Blood will do? My average CMC is fairly low comparative to many decks, or at least rather solid. I'm also running 40 lands currently. Will Dark Tutelage be good enough? Maybe Read the Bones would be best? I won't know until I play the deck a few times.

I'm always a fan of Ancient Craving and Ambition's Cost. Read the Bones is probably good enough, but I'm just not a fan of Sign in Blood. Paying 2 life for +1 card isn't worth it as a one-time effect in my opinion.

Quote:
Mother of Runes is a good card, but she's also expensive money-wise and I only own one.

I know expensive varies from person to person, but there are a bunch of moderately played ones on TCGplayer for <$4.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Feb-01 8:20 am 

Arena seems fun for the deck.
Any specific reason for not running Blasphemous Act?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Feb-01 2:57 pm 

Wolfram wrote:
Arena seems fun for the deck.
Any specific reason for not running Blasphemous Act?

I'll give some thought on Arena. Hopefully I can still find the one I have so I don't have to bother with ordering one.

On Blasphemous Act, no specific reason, currently. Maybe I'll see about throwing it in place of Delirium, although I feel like Delirium might be a bit cooler of a card.
JJackson wrote:
Quote:
Mother of Runes is a good card, but she's also expensive money-wise and I only own one.

I know expensive varies from person to person, but there are a bunch of moderately played ones on TCGplayer for <$4.

Expensive meaning I bought a box of FRF, so I'm not going to be buying cards for a while. $4 isn't too bad, but it's not $0.25 cheap (not that I even have a store nearby to find that sort of price).

I probably wouldn't put in Sign in Blood, it was mostly just an example. I like Ambition's Cost more. I'll be looking through my cards to see what I have access too in terms of card draw in these colors.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Feb-01 3:43 pm 

Segrus wrote:
I like Ambition's Cost more. I'll be looking through my cards to see what I have access too in terms of card draw in these colors.

Ancient Craving is better than Ambition's Cost unless you have decent skills with a Sharpie.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Feb-01 10:37 pm 

JJackson wrote:
Segrus wrote:
I like Ambition's Cost more. I'll be looking through my cards to see what I have access too in terms of card draw in these colors.

Ancient Craving is better than Ambition's Cost unless you have decent skills with a Sharpie.

Ah, yeah, well, I take what I can get sometimes. 8th Ed. makes it more likely I'll have either of these two.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Feb-03 1:11 pm 

These are changes I'm going to work with for now, and see how they play out. I'm not saying these are the best changes (my Underworld Connections are nowhere to be found, and I'm out any Phyrexian Arenas), but they should all be solid. I'll miss the others though...

- Assault Suit
- O-Naginata
- Delirium
- Madcap Skills
- Debtors' Knell

+ Syphon Mind
+ Infiltration Lens
+ High Priest
+ Shield of Kaldra
+ Greed
+ Staff of Nin

I'm diverging quite a bit from Zurgo-Voltron here. Also, I know I defended Soul of New Phyrexia, but Shield will probably be better. I'm still going to be looking for a spot for it. Debtors' Knell doesn't really make me happy, but I'm curious to see if Ashen Rider will make up for it. I'll have to wait until next game to see.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-20 1:52 pm 

Gosh, this is a pretty old deck, but I think there's a lot of available changes. I tasked myself on building a budget version (approximately $30 without Queen Marchesa) of it, so if anybody's interested here it is:

Creatures: 27
1x Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim
1x Bellowing Aegisaur
1x Boros Reckoner
1x Daru Spiritualist
1x Flameblade Angel
1x Frilled Deathspitter
1x Frontline Medic
1x Golden Guardian
1x High Priest of Penance
1x Imperial Ceratops
1x Lancers en-Kor
1x Mogg Maniac
1x Needletooth Raptor
1x Nomads en-Kor
1x Outrider en-Kor
1x Raptor Hatchling
1x Shaman en-Kor
1x Silverclad Ferocidons
1x Souls of the Faultless
1x Spirit en-Kor
1x Spitemare
1x Sun-Crowned Hunters
1x Trapjaw Tyrant
1x Wall of Souls
1x Warrior en-Kor
1x Zealous Inquisitor
1x Zhalfirin Crusader

Artifacts: 11
1x Boros Signet
1x Fellwar Stone
1x General's Regalia
1x Loreseeker's Stone
1x Mirror of the Forebears
1x Nemesis Mask
1x Orzhov Signet
1x Rakdos Signet
1x Sphere of the Suns
1x Star Compass
1x Wayfarer's Bauble

Enchantments: 9
1x Greed
1x Guilty Conscience
1x Indestructibility
1x Kindred Boon
1x Nahiri's Machinations
1x Outpost Siege
1x Pariah
1x Shielded by Faith
1x Spirit Loop

Instants: 9
1x Arcbond
1x Impact Resonance
1x Make a Stand
1x Martyrdom
1x Orim's Thunder
1x Rootborn Defenses
1x Rush of Vitality
1x Shred Memory
1x Simulacrum

Sorceries: 3
1x Damnable Pact
1x Grave Upheaval
1x Open the Armory

Lands: 40
15x Mountain
15x Plains
10x Swamp

The thing I learned from building it is that I should really modify my non-budget version to include as many of the Enrage dinosaurs as I can. They should be so good with the redirection. I think somewhere along the way I lost track of what I should be doing with my deck and this helped me focus on what's important. Also, Zurgo long ago got usurped by Queen Marchesa. The Queen facilitates and fosters combat between players. If somebody doesn't want me to have the monarch crown, they're going to have to block my Kor creatures. If somebody wants to take the crown, they'll have to deal with my redirection. Plus she makes tokens which can absorb damage and draws me cards for free. It's too good to pass up in these colors.

I don't know if this budget version is any good. Still an alright exercise though, I guess.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-25 7:02 am 

If you are running Task Force and any of the en-Kor creatures (like Warrior en-Kor, then you should be running Worthy Cause. It can gain you infinite life (or an absurd amount; if you want to put a real number on it - 5 trillion life).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-25 10:14 pm 

archmagemc wrote:
then you should be running Worthy Cause

"Should" is a matter of perspective. I'm actually well aware of the combo and the cards needed for it. There's a ton of cards you can use for the combo, and if you look closely at the budget list above you'll see I included one of them.

With the non-budget list I'm leaning away from the combo. Yes, it works. If I wanted to cheese my opponents, I'd include it. I'd much rather just go for the infinite toughness aspect for a damage redirection sink though. The reason to include the combo in the budget list was to provide the deck a means to sit at the big boy's table and compete. It gives the deck some opportunity to have teeth when needed. I don't really need that in my non-budget list.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-27 5:08 am 

I love any deck that can run Simulacrum

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2018-Jun-27 12:34 pm 

Superstrength79 wrote:
I love any deck that can run Simulacrum

It's a card I can literally never take out. It's too perfect for this deck.

Offline Profile