Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-12 10:49 am

Post subject: glint-eye nephilim : all the combat tricks
AgePosted: 2015-Jan-26 11:38 pm 

I wanted to make something a little different from other decks I've had and seen, so I built around Glint-eye Nephilim. The Nephilim are frequently allowed as a commander because they're the only 4-color creatures in, and MaRo said he wished he'd made them legendary. Also, they're really cool.

The main idea is to buff up Glint-Eye, and then use combat tricks to allow him to deal combat damage. Then I throw in some other creatures that are good if you a) buff them or b) get them in for combat damage. I tried to include a lot of low-cost cards so that drawing a bunch off glint-eye would lead to a lot of efficient plays.

Glint-Eye Nephilim

creatures (saboteurs)
cold-eyed selkie (like a second commander)
cephalid constable (absurd)
trygon predator
thada adel, acquisitor
ashling, the extinguisher
hydra omnivore
necropolis regent (wins by himself)
wrexial, the risen deep
balefire dragon

creatures (power-based, & growers)
spikeshot elder
chasm skulker (a lot of draw triggers in this deck)
khabal ghoul
forgotten ancient (mvp)
kalonian hydra
the mimeoplasm
vigor
prime speaker zegana
craw giant

creatures (utility)
tempting licid (repeatable lure)
plaxcaster frogling
wonder (mvp - discard with glint-eye)
anger (mvp)
disciple of bolas
golgari decoy

buffers (non-combat trick)
swiftfoot boots
thassa, god of the sea
give / take
bow of nylea
temur ascendancy
sarkhan vol
sneak attack
asceticism
xenagos, god of revels
armed / dangerous (not an instant, still good)
death's presence (marginal)
primeval bounty (insane)

combat tricks
vines of vastwood
berserk
darkness
shadow rift
false orders
ranger's guile
swan song
constant mists
tangle
fling
negate
simic charm
isochron scepter
savage beating
revenge of the hunted

utility cards
vampiric tutor
demonic tutor
cyclonic rift
greater good
bident of thassa
whip of erebos

ramp
mana crypt
sol ring
nature's lore
farseek
golgari signet
rakdos signet
izzet signet
dimir signet
wood elves
chromatic lantern
darksteel ingot
coalition relic
gilded lotus

lands
command tower
city of brass
forbidden orchard
reflecting pool
exotic orchard
mirrodin's core
transguild promenade
rupture spire
opal palace
savage lands
crumbling necropolis

six duals
six shock lans

sunken ruins
graven cairns
llanowar wastes
woodland cemetery

urborg, tomb of yawgmoth
thespian's stage
kessig wolf run (mvp)
reliquary tower

Suggested Addition:
veilstone amulet (haven't swapped it in yet)

Some interactions :-

The best thing to do is get +1/+1 counters on Glint-Eye, then force him through somehow. There's some cards that give +1/+1 counters (although making it ALL about +1/+1 counters didn't work real well); and a lot of ways for sneak him through. The usual ones like wonder and thassa, god of the sea, bident of thassa, etc. are good - but also all the one-shots here like false orders are awesome because you draw a card (or several) to replace that card when glint-eye deals damage. Also lure has long been a favorite of mine, and it works here. Just put the lure on something else, and that lets glint-eye get in for damage. Golgari decoy is great and so is revenge of the hunted. (revenge of the huntedis pretty good on just about anything). Tempting licid is mostly just good with craw giant; but does let you repeatedly sacrifice something to get in with the good stuff (use it on wood elves!). Also, this lets you play craw giant - and people are afraid of that.

There's several temporary power boosters - xenagos, god ofaggro, berserk, rampage on craw giant, simic charm, vines of vastwood, and Glint-eye's ability itself. Then there's several ways of locking in that temporary power for a benefit : greater good, disciple of bolas, prime speaker zegana, death's presence, necropolis regent, and in a sense, fling.

Combat instants are great. Of greatest importance is making Glint-eye immune to removal; so there's a huge emphasis on hexproof. I find opponents really want to shut down glint-eye; especially if he's pumped up. However, it's sort of tricky to figure out which of these instants and tricks are really worth using - I'm pretty sure of simic charm, vines of vastwood, armed / dangerous, false orders, berserk and fling; shadow rift hasn't been great but I feel like it should be. Also, put these on isochron scepter.

On the other side of that, this a great deck to run a bunch of fog effects. There aren't many creatures or other ways of building up board presence, so the fog is great. It lets you swing with the team, and not fear the retribution. Almost every time I have a fog, it's meant I win the game. They're that good.

Mana base: Include as much ramp as you can, but don't include any basics. There's really no reason to with all the good 5-color lands.

I'm sure somehow I should have foreseen this, but this deck can really put people out of the game fast with general damage and the surprise combat tricks. Which is sometimes unfortunate if I can't close out the game immediately after that. But there's a lot of opportunity to do stuff like : turn 3 forgotten ancient, turn 4 glint-eye, turn 5 discard wonder, swing for 9, draw 9 cards. If one of those cards is a fog and another is a hexproof-granting instant, that might win the game. It's also easy to pump up glint-eye, berserk him, draw 26 cards and kill someone with general damage, then fling him at someone else, to take out the last two players. Although a better trick is to pump up glint eye, berserk him, draw a ton of cards, one of which is savage beating, which you can then entwine and turn the berserk general around at someone else immediately.

I tried not to put in a lot of stuff that wasn't on theme. So there's no removal outside of the saboteurs. :)

Glint-Eye Nephilim (combat tricks, card draw, & creature pump)
Oloro Upkeep Tribal (enchantment-based control)
and more:Decklists

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: glint-eye nephilim : all the combat tricks
AgePosted: 2015-Jan-27 2:28 pm 

I love Glint-Eye. Might be my favorite, most fun deck that I've ever built.

I haven't edited my list on this site, but I have a few cards in common with you:

http://forum.mtgcommander.net/Forum/vie ... 16&t=12357

I see you have Wonder and Anger. You don't have Filth? I run it and Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and Crop Rotation and Reap and Sow AND Tolaria West to find UToY.

I like Writ of Passage in mine, but it's a pet card for sure. Your choice of Thassa is probably better, especially in your deck since you have so many +1/+1 counter effects. Another pet card I love but can't honestly recommend forcing in is Ghastlord of Fugue, made possible in this 4-color deck by UToY and all the ways to tutor it, as well as by Joiner Adept, Chromatic Lantern, and sometimes just because there's somebody else at the table running UToY.

Cards from my current deck that could be great in yours:
Filth
Diviner Spirit
Bear Umbra
Sword of Feast and Famine
Overwhelming Stampede
Curse of Predation
Stolen Identity
Thunderfoot Baloth
Gem of Becoming (maybe not the fastest, but it's a great way to fix your mana when you're running 6 duals and 6 shocks, and even if you don't need the fixing it's a slow Harmonize that lets you pitch 3 lands to pump your Glint-Eye +3/+3)
Wild Beastmaster
Creeperhulk
Gigantomancer
Quicksilver Gargantuan
EDIT: Nacatl War-Pride (if you attack with this while your opponent has 3 or more tapped creatures, then cast Savage Beating entwined with Anger or Temur Ascendancy, you will have a lot of fun in your second combat)
Mindleech Mass

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-29 2:23 am 

intreped wrote:
I love Glint-Eye. Might be my favorite, most fun deck that I've ever built.

Heh. I'm almost there. I sort of expected this deck to be like that; but it turns out its a little too good. Either I get in an attack or two with Glint-Eye early on, and I build up a pretty huge array of tools from all that draw that lets me sneak in again for near-lethal damage; or people shut down Glint-Eye before I even get to attack once. I think maybe your list is better since you've got more cheap creature threats that distract your opponents early while providing value if they survive. But, to what extent do you have this problem?

I think there's a lot of good cards that are potentially playable here, that fit into these broad categories:
1) stuff that forces through damage,
2) creatures that do stuff upon dealing damage
3) ways to buff creatures

And you're in four colors, so there's a ton of options. Of the things you list, I thought about or tried filth, curse of predation, thunderfoot baloth, creeperhulk, and mindleech mass. I sort of decided that too much emphasis on +1/+1 counters didn't work out, and that a +1/+1 counter theme would be a different deck. Still, stuff like give / take and plaxcaster frogling is pretty efficient, so those remain. I also had a much larger list of saboteurs in the deck, including mindleech mass and ink-eyes, servant of oni and giant adephage, but, i found it a little too unwieldy to have that many expensive creatures (it only worked with sneak attack, really), so I cut them for more combat tricks and fog effects. But, you know, I'm still keeping sneak attack in there. :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-30 12:21 pm 

You'll get a lot of mileage out of Rancor i think

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Feb-07 1:43 am 

You know, I thought about Rancor but didn't test it. Its true sometimes I want trample... but I don't want Glint-Eye getting killed, and I feel like rancor doesn't help with that. The other tricks I use (shadow rift, false orders, thassa, god of the sea, etc) let him get in for damage while also avoiding taking any damage. I'd be tempted to go with stuff like thunderfoot baloth and siege behemoth and nylea, god of the hunt for trample enablers. The (combat-related) gods have all been pretty good in this deck.

Offline Profile