Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-06 7:41 pm

Post subject: Re: Selvala Enchantress Lifegain
AgePosted: 2016-Jan-26 1:30 am 

+Eldrazi Displacer
-Aligned Hedron Network

I never really got to use AHN, but bounce shenanigans seem way more aligned with my goals. Free soul Sister triggers seem reasonably useful.

+Bonds of Mortality
+Elixir of Immortality
-Serene Remembrance
-Dwell on the Past

My graveyard recursion trio (also including Gaea's Blessing) was unsatisfying. Blessing gets to stay as nominal mill protection. Elixir is just better than the remaining two. Bonds is mostly there to complement Arcane Lighthouse, though it could potentially serve a political purpose as well. Also it's a Poly, which may come in handy.

+Zendikar Resurgent
-Primordial Sage
Resurgent is just better in an Enchantress deck.

+Wirewood Lodge
-Forest
Elf-lady. Tap ability. 'Nuff said.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Aug-06 4:03 am 

+Student of Ojutai
+Argothian Enchantress
+Reciprocate
+Enlightened Tutor
+Sterling Grove
+Glacial Chasm
+Fortified Village
+Sungrass Prairie
+Temple of Plenty
+Thespian's Stage
+Windswept Heath
+Wooded Bastion

-Twilight Shepherd
-Eldrazi Displacer
-Spellbook
-Starfield of Nyx
-Selesnya Guildgate
-3 Forest
-3 Plains

I know, 12 adds and 11 removes. There's a mismatch somewhere, but the numbers work out, trust me. Most of this is old and long changed, but I thought I'd take the time to update OPs to current. (it'd been almost a year for this deck...)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Sep-25 8:14 am 

Aetherflux Reservoir. A good enough reason to include Children of Korlis?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Sep-26 11:21 am 

So in the end Children of Korlis didn't make the cut. Again. It's still on the short list for inclusion though.

+Aetherflux Reservior : I'm pretty sure this was named "Nuclear Plant" in playtesting. Another wincon, excellent potential for lifegain, and one huge rattlesnake.

+Authority of the Consuls : Haste preventor and also another Soul Sister effect, for 1 CMC.

+Fumigate : Lifegain on a Wrath? Another perfect fit.

+Recruiter of the Guard : I just can't seem to justify buying an Auriok Champion. This is a virtual Soul Sister, as well as an additional Enchantress. Gets 11/17 of the other creatures in the 99.

-Rout : Replaced by Fumigate.

-Healer of the Pride : Replaced by Recruiter of the Guard. This kitty's always been the bottom of the pack of Sisters, but I've been waiting on getting Auriok Champion to replace it. Recruiter's a fine alternative.

-Aurification : Again, the bottom of the pile, this time for pillowfort. Authority of the Consuls fills this slot.

-Zendikar's Resurgance : High CMC, the mana doubling isn't super useful in this deck - low average CMC (2.95) and native ramp on the general. We'll see if I miss the draw, but it seems unlikely given the other sources available. On the other hand, Aetherflux Reservior interacts favorably with a deck that can expect to cast several spells a turn once it gets going.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Sep-28 1:26 pm 

Say, how has Soldier of the Pantheon worked out for you? I'd worry that the likelihood of drawing it combined with the likelihood of enough multicolored spells from opponents would put it about equal to some one-time life gain effects. Is it the protection that puts it over the edge? I guess I just mean that I could see Jaddi Offshoot being about as effective in life gain, or maybe getting a big Dawnglow Infusion.

If that's already been asked somewhere and I've missed it, sorry for the repetition.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Sep-28 9:16 pm 

Segrus wrote:
Say, how has Soldier of the Pantheon worked out for you? I'd worry that the likelihood of drawing it combined with the likelihood of enough multicolored spells from opponents would put it about equal to some one-time life gain effects. Is it the protection that puts it over the edge? I guess I just mean that I could see Jaddi Offshoot being about as effective in life gain, or maybe getting a big Dawnglow Infusion.

If that's already been asked somewhere and I've missed it, sorry for the repetition.

I don't know that I've ever thought of it that way. I run about 5-10 gold, tending towards the lower. However, I'm currently not running any 3+ color commanders. It's been some time since Selvala left the stable; I'm planning on giving her an airing after this round of changes, and I'll look for that for both Soldier of the Pantheon and Rewards of Diversity. In a vacuum I'd say you might have a point.

I do keep barely passing up Jaddai Offshoot, largely because it doesn't gain off opponents as well.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Sep-29 7:39 am 

Spectrar Ghost wrote:
I run about 5-10 gold...

...Soldier of the Pantheon and Rewards of Diversity...

Just so I understand, you haven't been counting your own multi-colored spells as reason to keep Soldier and Rewards around, right?

Or by 5-10 gold, do you mean you typically run 5-10 multi-colored cards in your multi-colored decks?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Sep-29 12:40 pm 

Segrus wrote:
Spectrar Ghost wrote:
I run about 5-10 gold...

...Soldier of the Pantheon and Rewards of Diversity...

Just so I understand, you haven't been counting your own multi-colored spells as reason to keep Soldier and Rewards around, right?

Or by 5-10 gold, do you mean you typically run 5-10 multi-colored cards in your multi-colored decks?

The second, just as a rough estimate of density. I'm aware such a thing is likely to be highly variable by commander, color(s), and player, but it gives me a baseline.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Sep-29 1:00 pm 

Spectrar Ghost wrote:
The second, just as a rough estimate of density. I'm aware such a thing is likely to be highly variable by commander, color(s), and player, but it gives me a baseline.

Mm, okay. I was testing previously where my computer sits, so happened to have a couple three-color deck nearby. One had 7 and the other 8 multi-colored spells outside their commanders. 5-10 is probably a decent estimate.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Nov-13 5:37 am 

As an update on Soldier/Rewards: I still haven't seen either recently.

This continues to me one of (if not the) most successful of my decks, with a win rate well over 75%. I think she's only lost two or three times - once to Heartless Hidegetsu, once to decking myself against a Platinum Angel, and maybe once to Reaper King. She really tends to get ignored for far longer than she should outside my normal playgroup. Even when the endgame becomes clear, the fact that the deck never does anything aggressive means it just doesn't raise the threat meter to where it should be.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Dec-26 11:31 am 

Celestial Convergence: too janky?

+Celestial Convergence
+Beacon of Immortality
+Children of Korlis
+Intervention Pact

-Soldier of the Pantheon
-Rewards of Diversity
-Reciprocate
-Bonds of Mortality

+Mistveil Plains
+Sapseep Forest
+New Benalia
+Krosan Verge
+Yavimaya Hollow

-Fortified Village
-2 Forest
-2 Plains

I'm not sure why Beacon of Immortality failed to be added for so long. I'm also not sure how I missed the interaction between Alhammarret's Archive and Sylvan Library and Parley. Sylvan reads "During your draw step, draw five and replace two or pay 4 life each" with the Archive in play. Yuk.

Edit 12/29: OP updated.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jan-05 8:30 am 

Oh god that Al's Archive+Library interaction makes me moist.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jun-03 1:12 pm 

Tough decisions.

I pulled a Dusk//Dawn and purchased a Retribution of the Meek, forgetting that this deck had my textless foils of Day of Judgement and Wrath of God. As the deck which is my main repository of bling, I'm loathe to remove them, even for admittedly better cards.

What to do?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2017-Jun-03 3:55 pm 

I'm looking at your recent changes... I love that you're playing Celestial Convergence. It is one of my favorite cards.

Offline Profile