Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-06 7:47 pm

Post subject: Re: 100% Natural. Disaster.
AgePosted: 2014-Nov-20 9:54 am 

I see we may have a slight misunderstanding here.

I'm aware that Rings can duplicate a lot of my lands' effects. What I was saying is that what matters to me in this deck is lands dying, not so much the effect after the colon. Rings don't help me with that. I'm also worried about having enough mana for the triggers - since I'm saccing a lot, I don't actually ramp that fast. They may still be good, however, and I'll remain open to the option, but right now, I've got more pressing decisions to make about my 99 slots, I feel. Also, I'm not really interested about going infinite, so that may be another argument against Rings.

BTW, you can actually recur Petrified Field with just Rings. Here's how it works:

Step 1: Activate PF, set target, pay costs (T, sac), put the ability on the stack.
Step 2: Rings trigger, put that on the stack.
Step 3: Pay 2 for Rings, put a copy of PF's ability on the stack. Now you can change the target of the copy and look, there's already something in your graveyard named Petrified Field! Wouldn't it be cool to have that back? :)

In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.

Last edited by Antis on 2014-Nov-30 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Nov-20 5:45 pm 

I understand that you rather have dying lands. I see it as a way to gain card advantage in mono green. As such I think it's worth considering. In the abstract though, because it's hard to get a feel how much mana or draw the deck has (enough, I assume, since you're not even playing Sylvan Library). Besides that, I think it fits with the land theme. It's up to you to see if it fits, and I can see why it doesn't.

That's BS of course, but I'll always associate this card with fetchlands. Opponents usually associate it with combo, so I end up cutting it in the end. Maybe that's the real reason I push people to play it, to give the card a home ;)

The card you actually want is a Fresh Meat for lands.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Nov-20 7:00 pm 

Well, you managed to push me from "I don't need it" to "Maaaybe later", so that's something :D

And I've actually added Sylvan Library to my paper version, so there's that (damn, I gotta update the list). I'm even testing it with its old friend Abundance to see what happens.

If you want to see a true Home of the Rings, take a look at my Kurkesh build: http://mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17190

As for Fresh Meat for lands...I've got that. Her name is Titania 8) And with her on the table, the card I want in response to a wrath effect is Natural Affinity :twisted:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Nov-20 7:59 pm 

I just had a nice early win in a goldfish session over on tappedout. Five turns of preparation, followed by a deadly attack on turn six. Turns out Garruk Wildspeaker fits perfectly into the curve of this deck. It went like this:

T4: Garruk, untap two lands (4 counters)
T5: Tap lands for four mana, untap two with Garruk (5 counters), cast Titania, recur Evolving Wilds, play Windswept Heath, sac the former for a Forest and the latter for Dryad Arbor, get two tokens, EOT cast Crop Rotation, sac Forest (get a third token), find Treetop Village.
T6: Animate Treetop Village, GARRUK used OVERRUN! (1 counter), attack with 8/6 Titania, three 8/6 tokens, a 4/4 Dryad Arbor and a 6/6 Village. That's 42 trampling damage. Hope you have your fish ready :D

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Nov-20 8:13 pm 

Admittedly I have only played like 3 games with this card Hall of Gemstone but I think City of Solitude/Dosan the Falling Leaf might be better as this prevents/limits them from doing shenanigans when you go for the kill.

With perfect mana, reasonable removal, disruption, and card advantage, we're back to pitchforks and torches. And it's about to get worse for those who do not enjoy the game as Richard Garfield intended, playing as few win conditions as possible and prompting concession after all hopes (and spells) are lost. - Shaheen Soorani

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Nov-20 8:30 pm 

I'll just throw this out here: Living Plane.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Nov-20 11:43 pm 

Shabbaman wrote:
I'll just throw this out here: Living Plane.
Huh, what do you know, I completely missed that! Well, I don't have spare money for it ATM, so maybe later. Thanks, though!
Inkeyes22 wrote:
Admittedly I have only played like 3 games with this card Hall of Gemstone but I think City of Solitude/Dosan the Falling Leaf might be better as this prevents/limits them from doing shenanigans when you go for the kill.
Well, what Hall of Gemstone does is that it prevents players from casting multicolored spells, most notably their generals, if they're multicolored, while leaving all your options mostly intact. It's not a hard lock either, since it can be worked around with nonland mana sources, so it doesn't draw that much hate.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Dec-02 12:43 am 

Alright, some more testing happened and an update is overdue. I feel a little schizophrenic regarding this deck right now, since I have two lists ATM, paper and online, that I'm trying to converge into a single entity.
The online one is the ideal and that's what I'll post here, but until I've acquired all the cards I want, I have to run some placeholders in my paper version and some of those are proving to be very good. So I'm incorporating those cards into the online list and thus the two are coming closer and closer together, until they become one with each other. I'm sure there's some eastern wisdom in that...

UPDATE 12/2/2014:

The Salvaging Station package. The idea was to last longer in a stalemate and gain an end-game advantage. Turns out that Titania is much faster than I originally thought. That and she quite frankly doesn't need this. The ordinary shenanigans work just fine, so off you go *salutes*:
-Salvaging Station
-Darksteel Citadel
-Tree of Tales
-Claws of Gix
-Codex Shredder
-Lodestone Bauble

These three lands have the same problem as the SSP above - meant for end-game advantage, turns out the deck wants to be much faster and drawing into one of these was always like hitting a brick wall:
-Jungle Basin
-Myriad Landscape
-Thawing Glaciers

-Ambush Commander (saccing costs mana = too slow)
-Copper-Leaf Angel (saccing requires tapping + no haste = too slow; kinda sad for me, because I really like the artwork :()
-Squirrel Wrangler (see Ambush Commander)
-Nature's Spiral (redundant ATM)
-Genesis Wave (I usually don't have enought mana for this to be any good and if I do, I sac it :wink: )
-Parallel Evolution (this card was never in, I just confused it with Parallel LIVES :facepalm: )

+4x Forest (turn out 10 Forests was a little too low)
+Gaea's Cradle (this deck finally convinced me I should get one of these)
+Mosswort Bridge (haven't actually played with hideway lands yet and this deck seems like a perfect fit for it)
+Earthcraft (oh YEAH!!! :twisted: )
+Sol Ring (...)
+Voyaging Satyr (give her a Lotus Vale, Scorched Ruins or Gaea's Cradle and she'll make you a happy druid :))
+Conjurer's Closet (seems good with Tia, at least on paper, haven't tried it yet)
+Cream of the Crop (ditto, although I have much confidence that this'll be a hit)
+Fecundity (seems to draw more for me than for the others, so it's cool)
+Green Sun's Zenith (does all sorts of good stuff while dreaming of first turn Dryad Arbor search)
+Parallel Lives (was always in and it's SICK!)
+Sylvan Library (me like drawsing me card-board)

As I've mentioned above, the deck is proving to be much faster than I anticipated, getting heaps of board position out of freaking nowhere and if you get me some early acceleration, Nylea help you. And take at least two other gods with you if that accel is LOTUS COBRA :shock:
Ghost Quarter seems to be even better than Strip Mine in this deck. Stripping my own lands has never been this beneficial :)
My paper version is currently running some mana elves as well as Emerald Medallion and I'm kinda torn about whether I want those cards to stay. I'm also thinking about Magus of the Candelabra, since Voyaging Satyr looks pretty cool so far.
Finally, my paper version runs more defense. Things like Wave of Vitriol, Beast Within, Song of the Dryads and Reclamation Sage. I'm sure I should run at least some of those cards, but right now, I don't have a clear idea what to cut.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-21 1:05 am 

Just wanted to share a blowout start I had this weekend:

T1: Dryad Arbor
T2: Forest, cast Lotus Cobra
T3: Crystal Vein (get G from the snake), tap'n'sac for 2GGG total, cast Titania (bring back CV, get G), cast Elvish Mystic
T4: Scorched Ruins (sac Forest + CV, get G, get 2 tokens), cast Concordant Crossroads, cast Overwhelming Stampede (for Ruins, Arbor and Mystic), attack for Titania (10/8) + Elementals 2*(10/8) + Lotus Cobra (7/6) = 37 damage

EDIT: I also killed a man with Nature's Revolt. Again. I love this deck :D

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Aug-03 5:16 am 

UPDATE 8/3/2016:

What's up, guys?

Update after a year and a half, huh? Well, better than never, right? :) So I have a whole entourage of decks, some of them more casual than others. When I first built the deck, the spoiler season of her product wasn't even done yet and at the time, the build was quite novel, if I do say so myself. As the word spread that Tia is a rather strong general, people got more used to seeing her, plus The Gitrog Monster seems to be getting a lot of publicity for killing one's own lands lately. So, how's she doing under my wing all these sets later? Pretty good, my friends, pretty good. In fact, she's become one of my top decks power-wise, which is why I'm doing this update. Let's get to it!

Minuses: (NOTE: Lots of minuses are things I had in the online list, but don't own in paper. May add some of those cards back at some point.)
-Blasted Landscape
-Buried Ruin
-Centaur Garden
-Dark Depths
-Dust Bowl
-Gaea's Cradle
-Gargoyle Castle
-Jund Panorama
-Mosswort Bridge
-Petrified Field
-Strip Mine
-Treetop Village
-Arcane Spyglass
-Constant Mists
-Sandstone Deadfall
-Smokestack
-Spitting Spider
-Sylvan Safekeeper
-Cartographer
-Creeping Renaissance
-Regrowth
-Restore
-Cultivate
-Explore
-Kodama's Reach
-Nissa, Worldwaker
-Baru, Fist of Krosa
-Courser of Kruphix
-Horn of Greed
-Conjurer's Closet
-Green Sun's Zenith
-Hall of Gemstone

Pluses:
+Blighted Woodland
+Command Beacon
+Crystal Vein
+Drownyard Temple
+Yavimaya Hollow
+Emerald Medallion
+Expedition Map
+Frontier Siege
+Sylvan Scrying
+Ulvenwald Hydra
+Wood Elves
+Defense of the Heart
+Elemental Bonds
+Garruk, Primal Hunter
+Life's Legacy
+Regal Force
+Tireless Tracker
+Worldly Tutor
+Overrun
+Overwhelming Stampede
+All is Dust
+Bane of Progress
+Beast Within
+Perilous Vault
+Reclamation Sage
+Scavenging Ooze
+Song of the Dryads
+Wave of Vitriol
+4x Forest

Wow, 32 cards... Things flow, I guess. Oh, before all of you start yelling at me, I have Splendid Reclamation on the way, don't worry :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Aug-04 5:12 am 

Yes, you are correct, Splendid Reclamation is one of the most exciting things to happen in Magic in recent memory :D

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Aug-06 8:28 pm 

tarnar wrote:
Yes, you are correct, Splendid Reclamation is one of the most exciting things to happen in Magic in recent memory :D
QFT. It's easily the card I'm most excited for in the set. Not just for Titania and Gitrog, but also any self-mill deck loves it. And my Riku :D It actually surprised me how aggresively costed it is. I'm really surprised it's as cheap as it is. I suspect this will change in the coming years, as I have no doubt this card will become an EDH staple.

Offline Profile