Magosi, the Waterveil
Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
Opal Palace
13x Plains
Prahv, Spires of Order
Reliquary Tower
Sejiri Refuge
Temple of the False God

When I first began to build this deck I searched in vain for an Isperia EDH that didn't run counterspells and Archons of Thou-shalt-not-attack. To me that was completely misunderstanding Isperia and what she wants her deck to do. Isperia wants opponents to attack her.

This puts her in an unusual position among EDH decks. Usually you want attacks to go elsewhere - and early game before Isperia comes out so do I. Blue white decks especially protect their life totals with everything they have. I wanted to spend my life total - use it as a resource to draw cards. I wanted to be attacked with as many 1/1s as I possibly could.

And moreso I wanted people to play things. I didn't want to be the largest threat on the board - I wanted to respond to the biggest threat on the board - and hopefully play the table so that I was always helping prevent each opponent from going off. I would always be on the side of the people, never that single threat until the very end.

So I set off looking for cards to make opponents attack me. Strategies to make myself appear weak - and means to give my opponents creatures and threats. The strangest Blue white strategy I can imagine. Yet somehow also the funnest.

Bident of Thassa , Gideon Jura , Courtly Provocateur , Arcum's Whistle - Contested War Zone , Luminarch Ascension , Azor's Elocutors . - and most often it ends up being bribes that get me attacked. "attack me with five 1/1s - I won't block, and I'll give you five cards with Soldevi Sentry - we have an alliance until the others are dead - yes?"

The weakest strategy in EDH has to be mill - so I chose it. Jace's Erasure ends up being a reward as often as a stick - Riddlekeeper encourages some to attack. That's fine by me. With all the card draw I have a single infinite combo with 5 pieces - that I get surprisingly often late game. Telekinetic Bonds + Compulsion + Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx with 6 or more devotion gives me infinite mana and the chance to draw my deck Reito Lantern helps the cycle keep going and Jace's Erasure turns it into infinite mill.

I can also get it going with Sphinx's Disciple or Fallowsage + Paradise Mantle and Immobilizing Ink - not infinite but it helps me get needed responses and with Jace's Erasure I can often mill one player down.

To give my opponents creatures and threats we have Genesis Chamber Oath of Lieges Hunted Phantasm Gate to the AEther Soldevi Sentry Akroan Horse and Loxodon Peacekeeper

I also need some Disruption with all these threats. Avarice Totem Switcheroo and Perplexing Chimera serve to keep things out of the hands of those who can use them the best. Dovescape serves to make lots and lots of creatures that can attack me and turn into cards.

lastly Words of Worship is invaluable in this deck, it allows me to manipulate life and cards as the deck needs + Well of Lost Dreams the only constraint is mana
-------

This is built on a budget I mostly just want to put this out there - but I'd love to hear if anyone has cards I've missed that are obvious for my goals. I'm especially looking for any forbidden orchard type effects I've missed

Last edited by Cloudchaser Kestral on 2014-Oct-26 8:19 am, edited 4 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Isperia supreme judge - Courting attack
AgePosted: 2014-Oct-24 9:56 pm 

Hello and welcome to the forums!

Tip #1: Use the URL tag to make the adress into a link.
Tip #2: Better yet, list the deck itself here (preferably with card tags), rather than point to another site. Not that I want to deny traffic to Tappedout (I use it myself), but having to constantly switch windows makes writing comments harder. I know it's time-consuming, but it'll attract more attention and hopefully more constructive advice to your entry, trust me.

Cheers! :D

In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-24 11:40 pm 

It looks like you are on your way to a solid deck. I would say, though, that some of the cards in your deck can get replaced. Jelenn Sphinx is ok in an aggro deck, but here seems out of place. I have spent some time looking into decks like Isperia, and the problem I find is that while the defensive cards these decks want are in white/blue, the cards that really help this kind of deck succeed are in red and green. So without either of these colors, you need to find more ways to encourage attacks and survive the onslaught. Find a combo or two as a win condition, and make it super obvious, so everyone attacks you, or find another way to look like a threat. Isperia is a riddle, because she wants two different styles of play to work, so the deck may look weird and janky at first, but can be solved. Also, adding more life gain could be useful, as you will be taking a lot of damage in this deck.

Also, welcome! I myself just joined a month ago, and it had been great.

Current Decks:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-25 9:29 am 

Thank you for the welcomes!

Antis - How does one make a URL tag here?

Darksteel elephant

Azor's Elocutors is the best I've found for that right now.
Yeah - Jelen sphinx is mostly in there for the Azorius sphinx flavor ^_^ - but she could definitely go. Maybe palisade giant in her place?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-25 1:36 pm 

http://manabase.com/autocard.php
Type in card names here, then copy/paste.

Current Decks:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-25 2:04 pm 

Wow - thank you DarksteelElephant - newest bookmark

The deck is updated and posted.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-25 11:57 pm 

Great! Much better. BTW, newest bookmark for me, too :D

Anyway, I don't have much time now, but I'd certainly add Winding Canyons. Putting Isperia down in an opponent's combat phase before declaring attackers could dance around all those pesky sorceries they might want to use to take her down. I know firsthand that ramping in these colors can be problematic (playing Ephara). Solemn Simulacrum, Burnished Hart, Walking Atlas, Land Tax, Kor Cartographer and even Wayfarer's Bauble can do a lot of work for you in that regard.

It also seems to me that Isperia is potentially a great Superfriends commander - that is, she synergises well with planeswalkers. Maybe one or two like Venser, the Sojourner, Tezzeret the Seeker or Tamiyo, the Moon Sage could help.

The deck looks like it's a lot of fun. Like it :)

In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-26 3:38 am 

Orim's Prayer
-Benifits from creatures attacking you
-Helps deal with damage from constant attacks
-Does not make opponents stop attacking you
Currently going for $0.25

Current Decks:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-26 8:17 am 

Antis - I thought about Superfriends, and if I were putting a lot of money into this deck that's definitely what I'd do. There are 17 planeswalkers in color which might just be enough to make it EDH viable. - alas I have not the moneys V.V

Darksteel elephant
-Going straight into the deck.

Offline Profile