Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-05 2:23 pm

Post subject: Derevi, Bant Aggro
AgePosted: 2014-Oct-02 10:24 am 

So I have for now finished updating this list. Of my 4 decks, this has been the most challenging to make. It has a very different game plan, and can be fragile. I also do not have much time to play with it, as I have been unable to find any EDH games lately. The deck is tough to judge without piloting it, which makes it hard for me to mess around with it, so I may have pushed the small evasive theme to hard for all I know. The cards also have much less well defined roles than my other decks do, I am going to list them by type because too many cards fit multiple roles to give them a defined class.

On the bright side, I have solved the theme problem. I tried a lot of themes with this deck, but they all fell flat. I eventually came upon the idea of a "recon" theme. The idea is that this deck is meant to resemble the vanguard of an army, using swift tactics to defeat larger enemies. Because of this, I can use a relatively diverse pool of cards without causing too many headaches. The theme is a bit weak I admit, but I don't want it to overwhelm the rest of the deck. It is there so I can say "this is what the deck is about" because untapping + unblockable is not an exciting sales pitch. One thing I did notice when looking for cards that go in this list- Portal: Three Kingdoms is full of cards that fit into this theme. Like, wow. I actually got the idea when going through all the cards with those kinds of abilities and their flavor made perfect sense. I like to think that Derevi is from the Chinese part of Bant, because she really seems to like the Wu!

Commander
Derevi, Empyrial Tactician

Creatures
Thada Adel, Acquisitor
Neurok Commando
Lu Xun, Scholar General
Wu Scout
Cephalid Constable
Azorius Herald
Odric, Master Tactician
Invisible Stalker
Daxos of Meletis
Edric, Spymaster of Trest
Jhessian Infiltrator
Galepowder Mage
Elusive Krasis
Cold-Eyed Selkie
Augury Adept
Riptide Pilferer
Ohran Viper
Stoic Angel
Arbor Elf
Kiora's Follower
Daring Thief
Prophet of Kruphix
Deathless Angel
Angel of Jubilation
Mirror Entity
Heliod, God of the Sun
Murkfiend Liege
Wilt-Leaf Liege
Deadeye Navigator
Silverblade Paladin
Thassa, God of the Sea
Sunblast Angel
Reclamation Sage
Acidic Slime
Angel of Finality
Sun Titan
Armada Wurm
AEtherling
Loxodon Gatekeeper
Progenitor Mimic

Instants and Sorceries
Devout Invocation
AEtherspouts
Renounce the Guilds
Counterspell
Swords to Plowshares
Curse of the Swine
Selesnya Charm
Faith's Reward
Polymorphist's Jest
Rootborn Defenses

Artifacts, Enchantments and Planeswalkers
Venser. the Sojourner
Sword of Feast and Famine
Whispersilk Cloak
Rancor
Primeval Bounty
Bident of Thassa
Coastal Piracy
Collective Blessing
Cathars' Crusade
Glare of Subdual
Opposition

Land
Rogue's Passage
Halimar Depths
Windbrisk Heights
Thawing Glaciers
Vivid Creek
Evolving Wilds
Transguild Promenade
Azorius Guildgate
Hinterland Harbor
Simic Guildgate
Thornwood Falls
Selesnya Guildgate
Temple Garden
Blossoming Sands
Sunpetal Grove
7x Island
10x Plains
6x Forest

Old Post
Hi, I'm new to the forums, though I have been shadowing them for a little while now. So anyway, I have recently built a new deck with Derevi, Empyrial Tactician as my general. I have not had a chance to actually play with this yet, so I would like to have some feedback before I give it trial by fire. The deck initially was going to have a bird/wizard subtheme, but that has been mostly removed in favor of the broader theme of attacking with small, evasive creatures. Here is the list:

Commander
Derevi, Empyrial Tactician

Creatures
Soraya the Falconer
Murkfiend Liege
Daxos of Meletis
Terastodon
Angel of Jubilation
Azami, Lady of Scrolls
Invisible Stalker
Thassa, God of the Sea
Archon of the Triumvirate
Mirror Entity
Wilt-Leaf Liege
Courtly Provocateur
Ith, High Arcanist
Odric, Master Tactician
Lavinia of the Tenth
Angel of Finality
Progenitor Mimic
Elusive Krasis
Aegis Angel
Kiora's Follower
Acidic Slime
Sun Titan
Armada Wurm
Archaeomancer
Arbor Elf
Deathless Angel
Bane of Progress
AEtherling
Silverblade Paladin
Daring Thief
Prophet of Kruphix
Loxodon Gatekeeper
Deadeye Navigator
Angelic Skirmisher

Enchantments
Bident of Thassa
Foster
Awakening Zone
Crescendo of War
Coastal Piracy
Primeval Bounty
Collective Blessing
Cathars' Crusade
Rancor
Opposition

Artifacts
Sword of the Paruns
Vedalken Orrery
Sword of Feast and Famine
Azorius Keyrune

Planeswalkers
Venser, the Sojourner

Instants
Renounce the Guilds
Rootborn Defenses
Polymorphist's Jest
Faith's Reward
AEtherspouts
Selesnya Charm

Sorceries
Farseek
Mine Excavation
Curse of the Swine
Beck // Call
Devout Invocation

Lands
8x Islands
12x Plains
6x Forest
Evolving Wilds
Hinterland Harbor
Transguild Promenade
Sunpetal Grove
Simic Guildgate
Windbrisk Heights
Vivid Creek
Shimmering Grotto
Selesnya Guildgate
Temple Garden
Halimar Depths
Thornwood Falls
Azorius Guildgate

So what should I do to improve this deck? I know the manabase is meh, and some obvious cards are missing (*Cough* Edric *Cough*) but what else can i do? I try to keep the cards cheap, with under $5 being preferable, but I will go to $10 for a good reason. All feedback is welcome*!

*Unless that feedback is telling me to run mass land destruction, Fetchlands, the word sux or anything sarcastic that comes out of Joz's mouth.

Current Decks:

Last edited by DarksteelElephant on 2014-Dec-06 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Derevi, Bant Aggro
AgePosted: 2014-Oct-03 1:53 am 

Welcome to the forums! Glad you've decided to join us in deckbuilding.

So...to answer your question, there's a lot that can be done with this deck. First question to answer is this:

1. Am I wanting to be competitive or casual?

See, Derevi has this weird quality of being able to be aggro, control, and combo all sort of twisted into one--at least, on the competitive side of things. If competitive is what you want (which, while not something I particularly enjoy, is something I can make tons of suggestions for), we can make that. Glare of Subdual, Opposition, Edric, and whole host of other cards make Derevi into a general who is banned in French commander.

If that's not the case, there's still a lot of work to do. Unfortunately, we first need to find you a direction and then also talk about strategy.

You've mentioned this having been bird/wizard subtheme, but obviously you found it unsatisfactory. Either due to that or even with the subtheme, this deck is fairly dysfunctional. You have an awkward combination of big creatures with possibly relevant abilities and small creatures which get bent over in a stiff breeze (although, there actually isn't a whole lot of them; your average converted mana cost for creatures is likely somewhere around 4.5, and that's nowhere close to small creatures).

The best thing I can advise at this point is to pick what you really want the deck to do: commit to it being entirely birds and wizards; commit to the Inspired ability; commit only using cards costing equal to or less than $1.00--whatever it is, figure it out first. Theme is very important to helping cut out cards you don't need and replacing them with cards suited for the power level and thematic elements you are hoping to achieve with the deck. For instance, see this 9-Rare Derevi deck I play (well, it hasn't been updated in a little while, but I should really consider looking at Khans cards which can go in).

If all you are really looking for are 'good stuff' cards to put into the deck, then that's possible; however, I have this feeling you'll find that deck lackluster.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-03 2:33 am 

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, the deck is kind of a mess right now, which is why I posted it here. I pulled the theme because I could not find enough birds that were efficiently costed, as most bird tribal cards were made during the creature dark ages of the late 90's. You can still see some cards that are meant to play into that, but at this point I am focusing on the tap/untap theme, which means getting my creatures to connect with my opponents. The big creatures are the result of me trying to protect the little guys and going overboard. Deathless Angel, for example, is there to keep my small dudes alive during combat and wraths.
As for what my meta is like, I play casually, but don't have a regular group so I have to keep my decks a little more competitive than I otherwise might make them to deal with whatever is in my LGS. I am thinking about the theme being the "Tactician" part of his name, with small, crafty advantages to gain me a lead. The problem is, I have never really built an EDH deck that plays like this before. I guess this can be thought of as a medium powered Edric deck with white in it, but I still have to get more specific. I will modify this a bit, and play with a generic version similar to this until I figure out what I want to focus on.

Current Decks:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-03 3:34 am 

If you want to go with small, crafty advantages, then you don't have to look further than Unblockable. As far as I see it, there are three ways to take advantage of Derevi's ability: Unblockable (with some other evasion), Trample, or Tokens--or some combination of the three. Vigilance gets an honorable mention.

I think you're going to find the big creatures aren't really worth it. They'll mostly slow you down instead of giving you advantage (at least in this build). You should also put a lot of consideration into whether or not you want cards like Azami, Lady of Scrolls and Angel of Jubilation, because the triple colored cost in a single color is probably going to be hard to hit.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-04 10:05 am 

So I have been spending some time on this, looking up good choices. Ironically, I had been thinking about making an Edric deck a few months ago before deciding to go with Derevi, so I already was familiar with many of these options. I actually had meant to put a lot of them in the deck initially, but I build by just grabbing whatever is in nearby trade binders, so that sort of failed :oops: . But as I was saying, following your suggestions, I have made a list of some cards I think might do well in this deck. I also have made a list of some cards currently in the deck that have 5 seconds to tell me why they deserve a slot.

Cards that may go in:
Glare of Subdual
Edric, Spymaster of Trest Added
Heliod, God of the Sun
Cephalid Constable
Cold-Eyed Selkie Added
Neurok Commando
Ohran Viper
Riptide Pilferer
Thada Adel, Acquisitor
Trygon Predator
Tandem Lookout
Flitterstep Eidolon
Jhessian Infiltrator
Latch Seeker
Lu Xun, Scholar General
Neurok Invisimancer
Rogue's Passage
Triton Shorestalker
Whispersilk Cloak
Wu Light Cavalry
Wu Scout
Aqueous Form
Azorius Herald

Cards that may get cut:
Soraya the Falconer
Terastodon
Archon of the Triumvirate Removed
Ith, High Arcanist
Aegis Angel Removed
Bane of Progress
Angelic Skirmisher
Awakening Zone
Foster
Crescendo of War
Vedalken Orrery
Beck // Call
Murkfiend Liege
Angel of Jubilation
Azami, Lady of Scrolls
Wilt-Leaf Liege
Courtly Provocateur
Armada Wurm

Cutting cards is always hard for me, so can some nice, heartless cruel person help me out with this?

Current Decks:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-23 11:25 am 

DarksteelElephant wrote:

*Unless that feedback is telling me to run mass land destruction, Fetchlands, the word sux or anything sarcastic that comes out of Joz's mouth.

Oh, do please expand upon this, comment, please?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-23 12:47 pm 

Any thought on running Thawing Glaciers? It could help thin out the deck and is a good target to untap multiple times.

You could run it along side Stone-Seeder Hierophant and Amulet of Vigor if you'd like.

Signature Deck: Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund – GBR Rock archtype – Built for attrition games.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-23 10:23 pm 

Wow, did not think about thawing glaciers... will have to think about that one.

Well Joz, I wrote that because I respect you as a calm, intellectual type of person who does not rashly judge things without giving them a due process... :wink:

Just kidding please don't kill me!

Current Decks:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-29 11:36 am 

I have changed the list a lot since the first post, and I have ordered some more cards that will arrive soon. Once I figure out what is getting cut I will post the updated list.

Current Decks:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Nov-01 3:35 pm 

Updated. Read first post.

Current Decks:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Nov-01 11:56 pm 

To go with the unblockable theme I would run Sun Quan, Lord of Wu. I am not a fan of Rancor. I think the new Thunderfoot Baloth or Siege Behemoth would make a good replacement.

Signature Deck: Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund – GBR Rock archtype – Built for attrition games.

Offline Profile