Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-18 5:40 am

Post subject: Aurelia's Legions
AgePosted: 2012-Apr-19 3:47 pm 

So this is an old post but I wanted to update my Boros deck.

The Commander is now Aurelia, and this is one of my most fun and successful decks ever. It hasn't lost a game yet, and I've been playing it in this current form (with minor updates here and there) for over a year.

Commander
Aurelia, the Warleader

Attack Enhancers
Legion Loyalist
Hellrider
Hero of Bladehold (also token producer, to a lesser degree)
Hero of Oxid Ridge
Marton Stromgald
Eldrazi Monument
Nobilis of War
Savage Beating
Gratuitous Violence
Gisela, Blade of Goldnight
Glory of Warfare
True Conviction
Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
Cathars' Crusade
Tajic, Blade of the Legion
Odric, Master Tactician (or, as we call him, Sean Connery)
Silverblade Paladin
Crescendo of War

Haste Givers
Anger
Urabrask the Hidden
Ogre Battledriver (In the Web of War on a stick... so much better this way)
Fervor
Lightning Greaves

Token Producers
Captain of the Watch
Geist-Honored Monk
Cloudgoat Ranger
Knight-Captain of Eos (also fogs)
Conqueror's Pledge
Increasing Devotion
Assemble the Legion (this card didn't look like much when first spoiled, but WOW)
Martial Coup (also mass removal)
Elspeth Tirel
Elspeth, Sun's Champion (obv the planeswalkers are versatile but their primary use is tokens)

Draw/Card Advantage
Enlightened Tutor
Sensei's Divining Top
Staff of Nin (this card is sick and has won me a few games, even if it doesn't look like much)
Sun Titan
Mentor of the Meek
Mind's Eye
Reforge the Soul
Wheel of Fortune (allows me to dump my hand on the table before playing it. And since I'm the fastest one around the table, my threat ratio in 7 cards is bound to be higher than anybody else's, therefore, in this deck, this is not quite a symmetrical effect)

Anti-Wrath (3)
Rootborn Defenses
Boros Charm (I am much more relaxed when I have this in hand)
Frontline Medic

Land Grab and Mana Rocks (13)
Knight of the White Orchid
Kor Cartographer
Tithe
Mind Stone
Solemn Simulacrum
Burnished Hart (with Sun Titan = fun times)
Weathered Wayfarer
Land Tax
Armillary Sphere
Wayfarer's Bauble
Sol Ring
Worn Powerstone
Thran Dynamo

Removal (9)
Balefire Liege
Duergar Hedge-Mage
Firemane Avenger
Day of Judgment
Terminus
Akroma's Vengeance
Sunblast Angel
Wear // Tear
Aurelia's Fury

Utility Lands (10)
Slayers' Stronghold
Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion
Emeria, the Sky Ruin
Shinka, the Bloodsoaked Keep
Spinerock Knoll
Windbrisk Heights
New Benalia
Kor Haven
Mistveil Plains
Temple of the False God

Colored (7)
Arid Mesa
Boros Guildgate
Clifftop Retreat
Sacred Foundry
Plateau
Rugged Prairie
Command Tower

6 Mountain
11 Plains

My typical strategy with this deck is to play by "waves". I play a few guys at first, attack with them and see how it goes. I wait for the inevitable wrath, then either protect my guys if I can or play my next wave. The damage stacks up surprisingly quickly, partly because of Aurelia, who is hasty and doubles the damage output. This can double again with cards like Gratuitous Violence, the old commander Gisela, Avatar of Slaughter or Savage Beating.

Tokens are awesome in the deck, but not essential. I can win games by playing beaters every turn and staying on-curve.

Because it's got a somewhat aggressive curve, it's mostly faster than other decks, and opponents can have a hard time keeping up. Please don't suggest Sunforger, it's way too slow for what's going on here :)

Also, did I mention Battalion? Battalion is so much fun to play, and incredibly good in this deck.

Frequent quote from other opponents: "Yeah you killed me, but if I'd gotten my next turn I would have kicked your ass."

Note: we have some house rules in our meta to make sure we don't have douchebag games and to stop the arms race, but I'm pretty sure with a few tweaks, this type of deck can be competitive anywhere. The rules are:
- No infinite combos (too cheap and easy to pull off)
- Max 5 mass removal spells (back when we had 15 in each deck, games would be too long)
- Max 5 counterspells (same reason as for the mass removal spells)

Old post:
I've wanted to build a Boros deck for while and I finally got a Commander who's motivated me to put together a deck list in the newly-spoiled Gisela, Blade of Goldnight.

I haven't played with this yet (obviously) so there is still room for improvement.

Commander (1)

Attack Enhancers (13)
Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
Hellrider
Hero of Bladehold (also token producer, to a lesser degree)
Hero of Oxid Ridge
Marton Stromgald
Mirror Entity
Nobilis of War
Pianna, Nomad Captain
Victory's Herald
Waves of Aggression
Glory of Warfare
True Conviction
Ajani Goldmane

Haste Givers (4)
Anger
Urabrask the Hidden
In the Web of War
Lightning Greaves

Token Producers (9)
Captain of the Watch
Chancellor of the Forge
Cloudgoat Ranger
Knight-Captain of Eos
Siege-Gang Commander (also removal)
Decree of Justice
Martial Coup (also mass removal)
Storm Herd
Elspeth Tirel

Messing with Combat Phases (5)
Basandra, Battle Seraph
Fumiko the Lowblood
Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs
Windborn Muse

Land Grab and Mana Rocks (11)
Knight of the White Orchid
Kor Cartographer
Solemn Simulacrum
Weathered Wayfarer
Land Tax
Armillary Sphere
Wayfarer's Bauble
Sol Ring
Coalition Relic
Darksteel Ingot
Thran Dynamo

Sunforger (7)
Stoneforge Mystic
Stonehewer Giant
Sunforger
Orim's Thunder
Path to Exile
Return to Dust
Wild Ricochet

Other Removal and Support (10)
Balefire Liege
Duergar Hedge-Mage
Austere Command
Sun Titan
Enlightened Tutor
Insurrection (duh)
Sensei's Divining Top
Well of Lost Dreams
Basilisk Collar
Loxodon Warhammer

Utility Lands (13)
Slayers' Stronghold (can't wait to use it)
Emeria, the Sky Ruin
Shinka, the Bloodsoaked Keep
Spinerock Knoll
Windbrisk Heights
Winding Canyons
New Benalia
Kher Keep
Kjeldoran Outpost
Kor Haven
Hall of the Bandit Lord
Mistveil Plains

Fetch (3)
Arid Mesa
Scalding Tarn
Marsh Flats

Duals (only 6... probably need more, but these are the ones I scrounged up for now)
Boros Garrison
Sacred Foundry
Plateau
Rugged Prairie
Ancient Amphitheater
Battlefield Forge

5 Mountain
11 Plains

So the idea is to go for an extremely high and fast damage output using hasty tokens and Gisela's ability. I may have too many attack enhancers and not enough ways to protect my guys - Eldrazi Monument and the new Avacyn, Angel of Hope may be eventual inclusions.

Another concern is the lack of pure card draw, which is why I included the Well of Lost Dreams and some measure of life gain, but it's probably not enough. Thinking about Mind's Eye even though I hate that card. Sigh...

Lastly, I'm worried about not being able to recover from board wipes, which are rampant in my meta.

Other than that, any other useful tricks in Boros I may have missed? Thanks for any help or suggestions :)

Some extra notes: My meta is exclusively multiplayer (3-4 player FFA or 5-player Pentagram, usually) and quite varied, so I try to cover as many bases as possible in terms of removal. The only rule we have, aside from the official Commander rules, is no infinite combos. Also, budget is not an issue for suggestions so feel free to go wild :D

Last edited by SicariusV on 2014-Feb-23 2:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Gisela, Blade of Goldnight and her Legions
AgePosted: 2012-Apr-19 5:25 pm 

I've been looking at the legends from AVR for a couple of days now, so I can share a few bits I've picked up.

Furnace of Rath and other double damage effects are crazy good with Giselda. Makes all your stuff deal quad damage while only taking normal damage in return. Razia, Boros Archangel is good with her too, as she deals double the damage she prevents and isn't half as fragile with Giselda buffing her.

Truth be told, while tokens make use of her double damage ability effectively, going with tokens doesn't seem like the right call for your meta. Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer can push tokens hard as can Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran, but Giselda is more suited to using bigger men to beat down while making full use of her abilities with cards like Earthquake, Inferno and Shivan Hellkite.

Plus there is little to no way for a token deck to endure in w/r against multiple board wipes in my experience. Eldrazi Monument goes a long way to help if you can get it. Cards that produce large qualtities of tokens in a burst are good for casting post wrath too, like Conqueror's Pledge and White Sun's Zenith. Goblin Bombardment works too, albiet in a very final way for the poor tokens. Warstorm Surge can do similar things but in reverse, enabling you to get more out of a big horde of dudes. If you're dead set on card draw Wheel of Fate or Knollspine Dragon can refill a hand if you're powering out spells and putting yourself at risk of a wrath. Effects like Wheel of Fate can provoke a wrath and potentially draw more for them however, so its a double edged sword.

Oh and I agree, Slayer's Stronghold is a boss. Makes me wanna play boros just looking at it and Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion.

Nahiri, the Lithomancer equipment soldier tribal
Isperia the Inscrutable flying tribal
Experiment Kraj fun with activated abilities voltron
Kresh the Bloodbraided cares about death
Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter b/w tokens
Sedris, the Traitor King ambush reanimator
Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest Jeskai instant & sorcery tribal

"Trapped in safety is still trapped."

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-19 5:38 pm 

Oh and Entreat the Angels. That is all. You can go outside now.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-23 7:56 am 

Thanks for the suggestions!

First of all, I find Gisela better than Agrus Kos as commander for this type of deck, because doubling the tokens' damage output seems better than just adding +2 to their power. My dream scenario with this deck is putting out a bunch of tokens while In the Web of War is in play along with Gisela, and dealing 40 out of nowhere to unsuspecting players. Also, her second ability protects my tokens in battle, making them quite a bit tougher to kill off (they won't die from Earthquake for 1, for instance). Anyway, a Boros token deck is what I wanted to do for a while, and the main reason I didn't was that I don't like Agrus Kos as commander. So there's my justification :P

As for the suggestions:
Furnace of Rath: would love to include it. But I cut this and Gratuitous Violence because I figured they were a bit "win more" with Gisela.
Razia, Boros Archangel: awesome card. but another last minute cut. I think it might make it back in since I might have too many attack enhancer cards already.
Conqueror's Pledge, White Sun's Zenith: Yeah! I'd forgotten about those cards. The Pledge may not make it in, but I'm definitely finding a spot for the Zenith (those cats are effectively 4/4 with Gisela in play).
Goblin Bombardment: I have this in a zillion other decks, just got cut for familiarity reasons :) Also, if I put this in, I'll want to have Stalking Vengeance as well and I can't afford the slots...
Warstorm Surge: Good point! I'll definitely try it out.
Wheel of Fate, Knollspine Dragon: The wheels give too much to my opponents. The Dragon is worthwhile though, I think I have an extra one in a binder somewhere.
Entreat the Angels: This or Decree of Justice? Only one makes the cut. I think Entreat may be slightly better because of Miracle, but generating X soldiers at instant speed seems pretty good too.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-28 3:02 pm 

Since you're already running True Conviction, Furnace of Rath does indeed seem like overkill. I'd keep Razia out. If you want another 8-mana angel, consider Avacyn, Angel of Hope as she'll help keep your tokens alive. You should DEFINITELY think about including Knollspine Dragon, especially if you already have one! Also, try and pick up a Reforge the Soul at the prerelease. Given that you've got a token theme going, I would go with Decree of Justice over Entreat the Angels since it not only gives you more options, but potentially more bodies. If you only have 6 mana, Entreat will only get you a 4/4 while Decree gets you three 1/1s and a card.

Anyhoo, here's my list:

JUDGMENT DAY
This is a competitive theme deck based on the end of the world as foretold in Revelations.

Strategy:
Use "Tithing" spells and the deck's "Holy Relics" to ramp into Gisela, breaking the "Seals" of God's wrath to the sound of blaring angel "Trumpets" along the way to wipe the board. Call upon the First Horseman, "Conquest", to equip Gisela with "Flaming Swords" and don her in "Angelic Raiments" of protection. Swing for the win.

GENERAL
JOHN THE REVELATOR
Mad Prophet

PROPHETIC VISIONS
Mind's Eye

THE SON OF MAN
Sun Titan

"HIS WORD IS LIKE FIRE, LIKE A HAMMER THAT BREAKS THE ROCK"
Sunforger

THE HEAVENLY HOST/"ONWARD CHRISTIAN SOLDIERS"
Decree of Justice

GLORIA PATRI
Glory

"THE GREAT DAY OF THE LORD IS NEAR, IT IS NEAR AND EXCEEDING SWIFT"
Anger

THE FOUR HORSEMEN OF THE APOCALYPSE
Stonehewer Giant (Conquest)
Nobilis of War (War)
Ajani Vengeant (Famine)
Jaya Ballard, Task Mage (Death)

"BEHOLD! A GREAT RED DRAGON"
Knollspine Dragon

7 ARCHANGELS
Baneslayer Angel (St. Michael, Dragonslayer)
Akroma, Angel of Wrath
Linvala, Keeper of Silence
Adarkar Valkyrie
Sunblast Angel
Avacyn, Angel of Hope
Deathless Angel

"A SCROLL, SEALED WITH SEVEN SEALS"
Scroll Rack

7 SEALS
Wrath of God
Razia's Purification
Fault Line
Earthquake
Comet Storm
Destructive Force
Inferno

7 TRUMPETS
Angel's Trumpet
Condemn
Path to Exile
Banishing Stroke
Prison Term
Swords to Plowshares
Word of Seizing

FLAMING SWORDS
Sword of Fire and Ice
Sword of Vengeance
Quietus Spike
Fireshrieker
Sword of War and Peace

ANGELIC RAIMENTS
Lightning Greaves
Whispersilk Cloak
Darksteel Plate
Swiftfoot Boots
Helm of Kaldra
Mask of Avacyn

SIGNS AND WONDERS
Steelshaper's Gift
Enlightened Tutor
Return to Dust

THE RIGHTEOUS
True Conviction

THE RAPTURE
Ghostway

THOSE LEFT BEHIND
Faithless Looting

BORN AGAIN
Reforge the Soul

"THE GRAVE SHALL GIVE UP HER DEAD"
Tormod's Crypt
Resurrection

ARMAGEDDON, THE LAST BATTLE
World at War

HOLY RELICS
Everflowing Chalice
Gilded Lotus
Mana Vault
Sol Ring
Coalition Relic

TITHING
Tithe
Land Tax
Gift of Estates

STREETS PAVED WITH GOLD (36)
Evolving Wilds
Shimmering Grotto
Command Tower
Emeria, the Sky Ruin
14 Plains
1 Spinerock Knoll
8 Mountain
Clifftop Retreat
Sacred Foundry
Battlefield Forge
Boros Garrison
Rugged Prairie
Tectonic Edge
Kor Haven
Slayers' Stronghold

Win Conditions:
This deck can win with or without Gisela, thanks to its "Heavenly Host" of "Archangels".

Synergies:
Gisela + Glory (Glory + anything, really)
Gisela + Stonehewer Giant
Gisela/Avacyn/Deathless/Valkyrie + Earthquake/Fault Line/Destructive Force/Inferno/Jaya/World at War
Gisela + Comet Storm/Ajani Vengeant/True Conviction
Gisela + Whispersilk Cloak/Quietus Spike/Fireshrieker/SoWP/Sunhome

Avacyn + Sunblast Angel/Wrath of God/Angel's Trumpet

Mad Prophet + Glory/Anger

Sun Titan + Jaya/Prison Term/Land Tax/Crypt/almost all artifacts

Wrath of God + Ghostway

Razia's Purification + Sun Titan/Valkyrie

Scroll Rack + Land Tax/Tithe/Gift of Estates

Sunforger + Condemn/P2E/S2P/Tithe/Enlightened Tutor/R2D/Ghostway

Spinerock Knoll + half the angels

Discarded Choices
"John the Revelator"
Thraben Doomsayer/False Prophet/Serra Ascendant: Doomsayer is "terribly inefficient." Thematically speaking, False Prophet would make for a great addition. However, I'd like to get the most out of Avacyn, Angel of Hope whenever she's on the battlefield and exiling all creatures in play doesn't quite accomplish that. Without True Conviction or Baneslayer, I'd have to draw Serra Ascendant early on for the bonus. Replaced with Mad Prophet as "John the Revelator".

The Son of Man
Gideon Jura/Reveillark: Gideon's "not terribly efficient" in the deck and Reveillark isn't useful with the deck's creatures. Replaced with Sun Titan.

The Heavenly Host/"Onward Christian Soldiers"
Luminarch Ascension/Entreat the Angels: I'd rather pay 8 and definitely get two angels (barring countermagic, of course) rather than hope my enchantment doesn't get blown up going around the table. I run Decree of Justice over Entreat the Angels since it not only provides more options, but potentially more bodies. If I only have 6 mana, Entreat will only get me a 4/4 while Decree gets you three 1/1s and a card.

The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse
Stoneforge Mystic: More fragile than Stonehewer Giant and less useful in this deck. "Conquest", the 1st Horseman of the Apocalypse slot, is currently filled by Stonehewer Giant.
Gratuitous Violence/Avatar of Slaughter: It's not likely the deck will have a horde of creatures in play. All the more reason to run a creature over an enchantment, I think, especially since about half the deck's creatures are for utility anyway. However, the Avatar is dangerous without Gisela on the field. "War", the 2nd Horseman of the Apocalypse slot, is currently filled by Nobilis of War.
Mageta the Lion/Scourge of Kher Ridges: Mageta requires too much discard. Replaced with Jaya, which Sun Titan recurs. Jaya comes down several turns before the Scourge of Kher Ridges and, in a deck with only 36 lands, I can activate her ability before I can reliably cast the Scourge. To top it off, she hits all creatures, flying or otherwise. Finally, for flavor reasons, the deck only runs one dragon, Knollspine. "Death", the 4th Horseman of the Apocalypse slot, is currently filled by Jaya Ballard.

7 Archangels
Reya/Iona/Radiant/red Akroma/Basandra/Razia/Indomitable/Platinum: Reya and Iona cost too much mana; the deck doesn't run enough creatures to pump Radiant; one Akroma is enough, thank you; I happen to like combat tricks; Razia is too expensive for what she does; not enough artifacts; irrelevant without Indomitable. The deck's seven archangels were chosen based on a need for diverse mana costs, flavor, and synergy with Gisela's abilities.

7 Seals
Rout/Day of Judgment/Terminus/Hallowed Burial/Catastrophe/Austere Command/Bonfire of the Damned/Akroma's Vengeance/Obliterate/Devastation/Chain Reaction/Blasphemous Act: Wrath of God stays in. It's the cheapest board sweep the deck has and I can cast it without ramping before turn seven relatively easily, unlike Rout. DoJ is "strictly worse" than WoG. Terminus/Hallowed Burial, Catastrophe, and Austere Command don't interact as well with Gisela like Fault Line and Earthquake do. Inferno affects more of the board than Bonfire. I'm running enough artifacts to not want to bother with Vengeance or Obliterate. Difficult to abuse Devastation without Avacyn in play and no synergy with Gisela. Chain Reaction/Blasphemous Act are both too conditional and neither fit the deck's theme.

DoJ==>Rout==>Razia's Purification
Terminus/Hallowed Burial==>Catastrophe==>Fault Line
Austere Command==>Earthquake
Bonfire of the Damned==>Inferno

Brightflame/Pyrohemia: I tended to opt for cards that didn't depend on having Gisela in play to maximize their usefulness.

7 Trumpets
Thunderous Wrath: "Inefficient." Dropped for Angel's Trumpet for obvious flavorful reasons.
Oblation: Dropped for Swords to Plowshares. Banishing Stroke seems like a better choice, regardless.
Cessation/Faith's Fetters/O-Ring: Dropped for Prison Term, which is both flavorful and effective.
Evangelize/Heat Shimmer: The first one is "heavily costed in colors that can't ramp well, and is super color intensive. Sorcery speed as well." Shimmer doesn't fit deck's theme. Replaced with Word of Seizing.

Flaming Swords & Angelic Raiments
Champion's Helm: Mask of Avacyn works with the deck's non-legendary creatures.
Moonsilver Spear: High equip cost.
Skullclamp: Not useful in this deck. Running Mind's Eye instead.
Sword/Shield of Kaldra: Not recursible with Sun Titan.
Sword of Feast and Famine: Doesn't combo with Gisela's abilities like F&I and W&P.

The Resurrection
Defy Death/Miraculous Recovery/Karmic Guide: Resurrection is more flavorful. Also, the FNM art is amazeballs! :mrgreen:

Armageddon, the Last Battle
Aggravated Assault/Insurrection/Waves of Aggression: It only costs five mana to get a total of four combat phases out of World at War, and its castable well before Insurrection. It's difficult for the deck to cast Assault and activate it the same turn. "Armageddon", the final battle slot, is currently filled by World at War.

Holy Relics
Armillary Sphere: Dropped for Scroll Rack/Land Tax combo.
Darksteel Ingot: Dropped for Mana Vault.

Streets Paved With Gold
Rupture Spire: "Downright awful."

Miscellaneous
Valor: Trumped by Glory and usually unnecessary with Gisela.
Preacher: Too campy.
Brilliant Halo/Runed Halo: Brilliant was for flavor only and pales next to the deck's equipment, whereas Runed is too narrow.
Darksteel Forge: Dropped along with Platinum Angel.
Sensei's Divining Top: I think the deck benefits more from card draw. Plus, I'm still running Scroll Rack to help out with top deck manipulation.

Last edited by ChimericPisces on 2012-Apr-29 10:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-29 9:30 am 

Latest update after some testing (edit applied to original post...)

- Dolmen Gate
- Boros Guildmage
- Fight to the Death
- Flame-Kin Zealot
- Signal Pest
- Rise of the Hobgoblins (might come back later... turns out Gisela's damage doubling + First Strike is too good)

+ Windborn Muse
+ Basandra, Battle Seraph
+ White Sun's Zenith
+ Fumiko the Lowblood
+ Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs
+ Marshal's Anthem

After some testing, I think this deck really wants to get others attacking each other when Gisela is out. To this end, I'm adding Basandra and Fumiko to help Avatar of Slaughter (I may also end up adding Grand Melee at some point if this proves efficient). This deck also wants to deter attacks. Gisela's ability does ensure that most attacks won't come my way (at least as long as she's in play), but some redundancy is in order - Kazuul and Windborn Muse will try to do this job. Lastly, since I have no way of returning dead stuff, Marshal's Anthem can really play a key role, both in getting back my stuff but also boosting my guys' battle prowess.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-29 10:42 am 

Might I suggest Jotun Grunt? I find it's a rather versatile card that people often forget can target other players graveyards, sometimes dealing with reanimator problems or even helping you recover some stuff you like.

Also, Decree of Justice is probably better. You can use it just as effectively as Entreat and it's a good panic spell that also draws you a card. Entreat I am sure can be nice, but unless you can manipulate with your top, you may not be able to truely use it when you would like.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-29 1:20 pm 

ChimericPisces wrote:
Since you're already running True Conviction, Furnace of Rath does indeed seem like overkill. I'd keep Razia out. If you want another 8-mana angel, consider Avacyn, Angel of Hope as she'll help keep your tokens alive. You should DEFINITELY think about including Knollspine Dragon, especially if you already have one! Also, try and pick up a Reforge the Soul at the prerelease. Given that you've got a token theme going, I would go with Decree of Justice over Entreat the Angels since it not only gives you more options, but potentially more bodies. If you only have 6 mana, Entreat will only get you a 4/4 while Decree gets you three 1/1s and a card.

Hey thanks for the feedback, I saw your post and responded to it before seeing you'd posted here :)

I really need to find a spot for Knollspine Dragon but I'd include Mind's Eye before Reforge the Soul, since I hate giving 7 new cards to my opponents unless I'm planning to punish them for it. As for Avacyn, the more I look at her the more I want her in the deck, so we'll see what I can cut - at this point I'm just waiting to play some games with the deck to help me with my next round of cuts.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-29 1:22 pm 

Ukkmaster wrote:
Might I suggest Jotun Grunt? I find it's a rather versatile card that people often forget can target other players graveyards, sometimes dealing with reanimator problems or even helping you recover some stuff you like.

Also, Decree of Justice is probably better. You can use it just as effectively as Entreat and it's a good panic spell that also draws you a card. Entreat I am sure can be nice, but unless you can manipulate with your top, you may not be able to truely use it when you would like.

I hadn't thought of Jotun Grunt. Along with Mistveil Plains it could keep Sunforger fueled all day. Brilliant!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-29 2:24 pm 

On the topic of Decree of Justice or Entreat the Angels, I'm about to undergo this experiment with Vish Kal. Both have their advantages, but I have to say I'm expecting the decree to come out on top. I'll report back when I've come to further conclusions.

Also Moonsilver Spear is getting a reputation as a trouble maker round these parts (my prefered name for it is 'that fecking stick'). Works a charm in Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer. Cathars' Crusade is another one from AVR that goes berserk when you put lots of tokens onto the battlefield at once, which is white's prefered method.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-29 5:37 pm 

Moonsilver Spear shouldn't be a problem unless its being combined with Sword of Feast and Famine, and reoccuring combat ( ex. Hellkite Charger , Aggravated Assault )

Omnath, Locus of Mana - Ramp/Stomp
Skullbriar, the Walking Grave - Scavenge/Counters
Animar, Soul of Elements - Primal Surge

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-29 5:56 pm 

Karousawai wrote:
On the topic of Decree of Justice or Entreat the Angels, I'm about to undergo this experiment with Vish Kal. Both have their advantages, but I have to say I'm expecting the decree to come out on top. I'll report back when I've come to further conclusions.

Also Moonsilver Spear is getting a reputation as a trouble maker round these parts (my prefered name for it is 'that fecking stick'). Works a charm in Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer. Cathars' Crusade is another one from AVR that goes berserk when you put lots of tokens onto the battlefield at once, which is white's prefered method.

Cathars' Crusade! Yes! I opened one at the prerelease too, how convenient (of course I'm still waiting to get my hands on Gisela...). As for the spear, it's 8 mana to cast and equip to get a single Angel, which is 8 mana I could use to do something else. I might try it at some point but for now it doesn't seem worth a slot.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-29 10:02 pm 

SicariusV wrote:
Karousawai wrote:
Also Moonsilver Spear is getting a reputation as a trouble maker round these parts (my prefered name for it is 'that fecking stick'). Works a charm in Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer.

As for the spear, it's 8 mana to cast and equip to get a single Angel, which is 8 mana I could use to do something else. I might try it at some point but for now it doesn't seem worth a slot.

I really want to like the Spear, but you just summed up why I'm not running it. It's a bomb in Limited, though!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Apr-30 2:30 pm 

Archangel of Strife
Windbrisk Raptor
Karmic Guide - sometimes it's nice to let your general go to the yard and reanimate her rather than recast her from the Command zone
Archon of Justice - a staple in most white decks, although perhaps he doesn't fit with a token theme

Mayael the Anima

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2012-Jun-21 11:54 am 

Some Sunforger targets worth considering could be Double Cleave and Overblaze. Both synergize well with Gisela and could be 1 shot kills.

Offline Profile