Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-07 11:13 am

Post subject: Sidisi, Brood Tyrant
AgePosted: 2014-Oct-12 3:22 pm 

Sidisi, Brood Tyrant

ImageImageImageImage

Why should I play Sidisi?
Do you like tokens? Do you like Reanimator? Do you like toolbox decks? How about all three at once? If you answered "yes" to any of these, Sidisi is for you.

Why not one of the other BUG commanders?
Simply put, Vorosh is bad, and the other two are obnoxious. Sidisi will offer you a powerful game plan that doesn't immediately paint a target on your back.

COMMANDER: Sidisi, Brood Tyrant

The Mans
1 Acidic Slime
1 Aphetto Alchemist
1 Baleful Strix
1 Bane of Progress
1 Birds of Paradise
1 Body Double
1 Bone Shredder
1 Coiling Oracle
1 Corpse Connoisseur
1 Craterhoof Behemoth
1 Deadeye Navigator
1 Disciple of Deceit
1 Draining Whelk
1 Elves of Deep Shadow
1 Eternal Witness
1 Fleshbag Marauder
1 Genesis
1 Glen Elendra Archmage
1 Glissa, the Traitor
1 Kessig Cagebreakers
1 Lotus Cobra
1 Mindleech Mass
1 Mystic Snake
1 Palinchron
1 Quirion Elves
1 Reclamation Sage
1 Rune-Scarred Demon
1 Sakura-Tribe Elder
1 Sheoldred, Whispering One
1 Shriekmaw
1 Sphinx of Uthuun
1 Sylvan Caryatid
1 Terastodon
1 Trygon Predator
1 Urborg Elf
1 Utopia Tree
1 Venser, Shaper Savant
1 Vigor
1 Wonder

The Plans
1 Animate Dead
1 Basalt Monolith
1 Buried Alive
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Dread Return
1 Entomb
1 Exploration
1 Fact or Fiction
1 Gaea's Blessing
1 Jarad's Orders
1 Life // Death
1 Life from the Loam
1 Lightning Greaves
1 Makeshift Mannequin
1 Memory's Journey
1 Mesmeric Orb
1 Reanimate
1 Sol Ring
1 Soul Exchange
1 Stitch Together
1 Survival of the Fittest
1 Sylvan Tutor
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Victimize
1 Worldly Tutor

The Lands
1 Bloodstained Mire
1 Breeding Pool
1 Buried Ruin
1 Cephalid Coliseum
1 City of Brass
1 Command Tower
1 Flooded Grove
1 Flooded Strand
4 Forest
3 Island
1 Llanowar Wastes
1 Mana Confluence
1 Marsh Flats
1 Misty Rainforest
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Polluted Delta
1 Scalding Tarn
1 Sunken Ruins
3 Swamp
1 Twilight Mire
1 Underground River
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 Verdant Catacombs
1 Volrath's Stronghold
1 Watery Grave
1 Windswept Heath
1 Wooded Foothills
1 Yavimaya Coast

This looks like a pile of jank! How does it work?
Your main goal is to stick Sidisi on turn 3 using the various mana dorks available to you. From there, dump creatures into the graveyard to amass an army of tokens, reanimate fatties, and overwhelm your opponents with sheer force. At first glance, it may seem kind of slow, but you are fully capable of putting out several tokens a turn even without the help of Mesmeric Orb, and your reanimate package can power out enormous beaters as early as turn 2. You don't mind the sorcery speed on Sylvan Tutor, because you want to cast your topdeck tutors during your pre-combat main phase anyway, essentially turning them into extra copies of Entomb.

ImageImageImageImage

If you don't have a reanimate spell in hand, your first target will usually be Wonder so you can fly over your opponents' blockers, but if you have the reanimate you should probably go for something like Sheoldred, Whispering One or Rune-Scarred Demon. If you're on the turn 1 Entomb, turn 2 Reanimate plan, Mindleech Mass is an excellent choice. And of course, since your deck is packed full of utility creatures, you can also just tutor up whatever will answer your problems for you in the moment.

Why so many creatures though?
You need to reliably hit at least one creature when Sidisi's abilities trigger. In order to do this, some simple effects like mana ramp and tutoring have to have legs.

I'm looking at you, Disciple of Deceit.

The end result is a deck list that looks weird on paper and works together fluidly in practice. Disciple of Deceit in particular is instrumental in turning your excess mana dorks into reanimate spells and dumping your fatties into the graveyard if they get stuck in your hand.

Okay, I think I've got the basics. So how do I win?
There are a few paths to victory here. The first is to just beat down with tokens. You will be making a lot, and the damage adds up. Craterhoof Behemoth and Kessig Cagebreakers will give your army a shot in the arm so you can end the game in short order.

The second win condition is a good old-fashioned combo:
Image+Image
With your commander in play, these two cards allow you to mill your entire library one card at a time, netting you a token for each creature that hits your grave thanks to Mesmeric Orb's individual triggers. Eventually you will hit Gaea's Blessing, allowing you to shuffle your graveyard back into your library and continue making as many tokens as you wish. If the Gaea's Blessing gets stuck in your hand before you start this process, you can cast it and then shuffle it back in with Memory's Journey to keep the combo going. You also have an emergency backup in Vigor that will give you one last turn if your Blessing gets exiled somehow. But that's all you'll need, right? ;)

Aphetto Alchemist can also fill in if your monolith gets ganked and you can't get it back for some reason.

The third way to win is a little more cheesy, but this is my list and I'll do as I please!
Image+Image+Image

This is most easily set up with Buried Alive or Survival of the Fittest and Victimize to return the Navigator and the Palinchron to play. You can also spam Sphinx of Uthuun for an alternate way to obtain infinite tokens, or you can reuse Rune-Scarred Demon if you'd like to assemble a different combo.

And that's pretty much the gist of it! Please feel free to discuss and offer feedback!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Sidisi, Brood Tyrant
AgePosted: 2014-Oct-13 1:24 am 

I have a deck a lot like this (cards are pretty different - idea is the same), except with fewer tutors. I also use Seeker of Skybreak in place of Basalt Monolith and an Eldrazi (I don't actually remember which one... I don't plan on casting it) in place of Blessing.

Also, kudos for using Kessig Cagebreakers. I ended up adding it to my deck almost by accident. My only copy just happened to be in the deck I was desleeving to sleeve Sidisi. The other card in my deck I'm excited to be playing is Pedantic Learning. It's been sitting in my binder since 2003, so I'm just pumped to finally get it out there.

I'm also using Murderous Cut and Treasure Cruise (since I haven't opened a Dig Through Time yet) because I'm never going to want to Genesis or Loam back every card in my graveyard and those spells are sweet for 1 mana.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-13 1:52 am 

I tried Treasure Cruise and wasn't terribly impressed with it, probably because I always want Threshold to cast Stitch Together and activate Cephalid Coliseum.

Pedantic Learning actually seems hilarious! I will definitely give that one a try.

As for Eldrazi, I've been on the fence about adding a Kozilek, Butcher of Truth for a while. On one hand, I can Survival it up and pitch it in response to graveyard hate, which is awesome, and it would free up an extra slot since Memory's Journey wouldn't be necessary anymore. But on the other hand, Bribery is a thing...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-13 2:14 am 

Yeah. I don't play any threshold in my deck. In general I have a lot less reanimation, so Delve has very little downside for me. Other things worth mentioning that I just though of:

Future Sight and Garruk's Horde are really nice when you have Orb in play. You can play instants/flash dudes as you mill past them or mill yourself to Reclamation Sage if you are able to make infinite zombies but need to get rid of an Ensaring Bridge or Powerstone Minefield or Ghostly Prison.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-13 3:27 am 

Altar of Dementia is a neat card with Sidisi. Mill yourself, sac a token, mill again, sac a token...

For some reason, I'm very fond of Mimeoplasm,Lord of Extinction, Brawn, Dread Return and Ashen Ghoul in Sidisi.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-13 4:02 am 

asi wrote:
Altar of Dementia is a neat card with Sidisi. Mill yourself, sac a token, mill again, sac a token...

For some reason, I'm very fond of Mimeoplasm,Lord of Extinction, Brawn, Dread Return and Ashen Ghoul in Sidisi.

You could potentially make an infinite combo using Sidisi; Altar of Dementia; (or Orb + Monolith) and manipulating your library a bit with Mana Severence and Selective Memory - as long as you had either Ulamog/Kozilek/Gaea's Blessing/one of the Vigor/Dread/ect....pretty mucn anything that shuffles itself into the library when it hits the graveyard. The Darksteel family wouldn't actually work; as it never hits the yard.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-13 7:08 am 

T. Cruise probably isn't all that hot in Commander unless your meta is really durdley or underpowered. Drawing three random cards out of, say, 70 - especially when you're running almost all one-ofs - is just not all that powerful. Dig at least shows you a bunch more cards so you get better card quality on the ones you do pick.

I've been running some of the small dredge guys in my deck - right now I've got both Shambling Shell and Golgari Thug in addition to LftL. I don't run any infinite self-mill combos, though.

Another thing to consider: Phenax. If DEN cheese gets to irksome after a while, switching to Phenax gives you the option to mill either yourself or your opponents out. You can also run cards like Duskmantle Guildmage that can mill anyone for small numbers.

Sidisi - Nin

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-13 7:33 am 

This thread is actually giving me an urge to build her... Hmmm, Snakessssss...

In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-14 2:11 pm 

Antis wrote:
Hmmm, Snakessssss...

Sadly not.

Sygg, River Cutthroat: Sneaky horrible backstabbing ninjas+rogues.
Sek'Kuar, deathkeeper: It's ALIVE! And so is that one! In fact, ALL the formerly dead stuff is alive!
Sydri, Galvanic Genius: Artifacts and artifacts and lifegain and artifacts.
In Progress:
Mogis, God of Slaughter: Mr. Massacre and his things that ping.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-14 4:48 pm 

Since your deck is creature based why not replace Basalt Monolith with Seeker of Skybreak as crokaycete suggested?

I would play Magus of the Future before Future Sight and Oracle of Mul Daya before Garruk's Horde.

So if Mesmeric Orb or Deadeye Navigator get exiled you can't go infinite right? You might want more control to protect your combo or creatures like Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir and Dosan the Falling Leaf.

I wonder if you wouldn't be better off with playing ramp creatures instead of mana dorks. Ramp creatures would thin you deck of lands and make you more likely to mill creatures.

Mayael the Anima

Last edited by Celerus on 2014-Oct-15 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-15 12:28 am 

Celerus wrote:
Oracle of Mul Daya before Garruk's Horde
Agree with the Future Sight one. I just have copies of Future Sight sitting around but not the Magus. (This is often the primary reason something is or isn't in my decks...) But Oracle does a very different job than Garruk's Horde. Oracle can only play lands, which means it notably cannot let you play Reclamation Sage or Craterhoof Behemoth or whatever other creature you need to finish off the game from the top of your deck. Oracle is definitely a better creature, but not one that fulfills a similar purpose to Horde in the deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-15 2:06 am 

Ramp creatures don't let me drop Sidisi on turn 3. I had Wood Elves and co in the first draft but ended up cutting them because I never wanted them. I like the Garrick's Horde and Magus ideas though!

Offline Profile