Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Aug-25 6:02 am

Post subject: 4.01 Color Poison Blitz AKA Scion with Surprise
AgePosted: 2014-Aug-22 12:37 am 

Hi!

So, this deck's turn has finally come. Originally an UBRG 101-card singleton that was salvaged for parts, it has risen from its ashes in the form of Scion of the Ur-Dragon EDH. Glory to New Phyrexia!
Quote:
WARNING: This is not a deck for everyone. If you hate infect with a passion, stop reading now. Also, play in 1v1 at your own reputation's risk. You have been warned.

Why Scion? One reason: Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon. The backup plan of putting the last few poison counters in through the air for 2WUBBRG is a thing. And the other five-color generals do nothing to support the deck anyway, so it's pretty much the one-eyed ruling the blind here.
If you have a looser definition of what cards can be a commander, I guess Glint-Eye Nephilim can work with all the buffs on the list and Chromanticore could be fun. In fact, I think I'll make the BESTow monster my default commander and use it wherever they let me 8)

This list is essentially a Commander version of the Zoo archetype - cheap, fast creatures, one-shot pump and a few cards to ensure I can finish what I've started. And what I've started is spitting poison at people :twisted:
And before you ask, yes, Scion is the only white card in the whole deck. I've thought hard about how much adding white would bring to the deck and ultimately decided it was not worth it (a moment of silence for Lost Leonin, Venser, the Sojourner and Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite, please).

I'm going to do this sequentially. First, the creatures:
TOTAL: 28

Pretty straightforward, just regular infect weenies. They're the meat of the deck. Next up is the spice:
TOTAL: 16

So, the basic strategy is to lay some dudes, then attack and buff them to quickly dispose of my opponents. What if that's not possible? Well:
Contagion Clasp
Throne of Geth
Volt Charge
Steady Progress
Tezzeret's Gambit
(Viral Drake is already in the Creatures section above)
TOTAL: 5 (6)
Viridian Longbow
Soul's Fire
Flesh // Blood
Furystoke Giant
Caress of Phyrexia
(Ichor Rats and Hand of the Praetors are already in the Creatures section above)
TOTAL: 5 (7)

So, the options are there. To round the deck up, there are some utility cards you might expect:
TOTAL: 9

Lands are also what you'd expect:
TOTAL: 3 (4)
TOTAL: 33

Note that every non-utility nonbasic land can produce either B or G.

The deck is designed to hit fast and get them under pressure and I've willingly sacrificed threat answers to achieve that goal. This deck's answer to threats is: "You are already dead." Living Death is the only sweeper here and you can take care of some blockers with Sarkhan, but that's pretty much it. Hit hard while you can, then finish them off from afar.

The last thing is my maybeboard. Any suggestions regarding what to cut will be appreciated:

In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.

Last edited by Antis on 2014-Aug-30 8:19 am, edited 4 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: 4.01 Color Poison Blitz AKA Scion with Surprise
AgePosted: 2014-Aug-22 3:45 am 

Intriguing.

I feel like Throne of Geth isn't doing you enough. It does grant you something to do with the small fries when they're not longer able to connect for damage, but I feel something like Phyrexian Reclamation would be better for you. Heck, Snapcaster Mage could do you some work.

I'm surprised not to see Berserk on this list, or at least mentioned somewhere as part of a wishlist. Fatal Frenzy for the same reason. You guarantee its effectiveness by throwing it onto a creature you're already pumping.

Funny enough, Outmaneuver seems like a funny possibility. Have you considered Wild Defiance?

Finally, how do you feel about your ranged attack section? Caress of Phyrexia feels slow and possibly dangerous for giving them some cards.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-22 7:09 am 

Throne of Geth is a Sorcery for 2 that simply reads: "Proliferate." That's good enough for me. If it eats up something else before itself, it's gravy.

I've considered Reclamation/Snapcaster and I'd rather draw actual creature/buff spell, respectively. I don't need specific cards, any one will do. The only recursion in the deck right now is Living Death (I don't have to go deeper with this one, do I?) and Regrowth, which actually lets me choose, if I need a creature or a buff.

The problem with Berserk is that this is the one deck where it's weak. Most of my creatures aren't bigger than 2/2, so Berserk gives me +2/+0, trample and end-of-combat death. I have better cards for this kinda thing. I know it's better if I apply another buff beforehand, but in this deck, I don't want to play a card that's only good half the time.

Outmaneuver and Wild Defiance don't buff my creatures by themselves, so no.

Caress of Phyrexia is in testing, but before I added it, I met a lot of situations where it would end the game on the spot. The whole "Ranged attacks" section is basically there for those situations when it's impossible to attack for one reason or another. When they're menacingly swirling their swords in front of your attackers, shoot'em in the head, Indy style :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-22 7:36 am 

Antis wrote:
The problem with Berserk is that this is the one deck where it's weak. Most of my creatures aren't bigger than 2/2, so Berserk gives me +2/+0, trample and end-of-combat death. I have better cards for this kinda thing. I know it's better if I apply another buff beforehand, but in this deck, I don't want to play a card that's only good half the time.

A similar argument could be made for Soul's Fire and Flesh / Blood. They aren't exactly identical in effect with Berserk, but they have a lot of similarities. Actually, on the subject, what about Mage Slayer? Reusable, allows you to get in with some damage even if you're attacking into blockers, and doubles infect damage whenever you're not blocked.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-22 8:16 am 

Segrus wrote:
Antis wrote:

A similar argument could be made for Soul's Fire and Flesh / Blood. They aren't exactly identical in effect with Berserk, but they have a lot of similarities. Actually, on the subject, what about Mage Slayer? Reusable, allows you to get in with some damage even if you're attacking into blockers, and doubles infect damage whenever you're not blocked.

Actually, no. They're literally worlds apart, trust me. Let me tell you a little story:

You see, it's often like this - I start the game, I play some dudes, I attack and maybe throw some buffs to overcome the initial chumpers like Wood Elves or Stoneforge Mystic. Then the opponent plays something bigger or wipes the board. I'm no longer able to push through. For the sake of example, let's say they played Hornet Queen or Avenger of Zendikar or (extra nasty) Parallax Wave. But the opponent at that time can have anything from 5 to 8 poison counters...

And THAT's the difference between Berserk and Soul's Fire, see?

Mage Slayer is just too expensive. Tried it, ditched it.

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it :)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-23 7:16 pm 

UPDATE:

-Forest
-Swamp
-Trigon of Infestation

+Birds of Paradise
+Noble Hierarch
+Volt Charge

Mana Birds! I'm so sorry I forgot about you! It won't happen again, I promise! Birds were in my original pre-Commander list, but somehow got lost in translation...

Also, yay for exalted! No yay for wallet :( I think I'll add some more mana dorks in time. Currently thinking of Tinder Wall and Deathrite Shaman. Seeing that there are only three infect guys to play on turn one, these can really speed things up. Up to a T3 kill in 1v1 I mean (see, told you not to play it in duels!).

Some may be surprised by me picking Volt Charge instead of something else, but it has proven its worth over the time, raising the answer quota just a bit. Snipe early blocker, increase poison. Simple, effective.

Offline Profile