Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-11 12:45 am

Post subject: Greetings
AgePosted: 2014-Jun-22 6:27 am 

Hello, all
I am 19 years old and legally blind. I never had much of an interest in magic. I had a group of friends who would play around the lunch-room table in high school but I never thought I could make the game work. Fast-forward a year and I have an amazing girlfriend who shares my interest in magic and has helped me braille countless cards. A bit ago I stumbled on to Elder Dragon Highlander and I liked the idea. I only got into it because my girlfriend said she really wanted to try EDH out but she didn't want to tell me becuase I would be putting more money into magic.
So far, I'm really loving the format, I find it fun and a lot more casual than trying to compete in a standard fnm event.
Thanks for the wonderful format.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Greetings
AgePosted: 2014-Jun-22 9:56 am 

I bought the mind-seize deck and am focusing the deck on Jeleva. I have added lots of things in and taken out some others. I had a diabolical tutor lying around as well as some other library manipulation spells, as well as some spells to get instants and sourceries from my grave-yard. A friend is getting me strionic resonator, reverberate, Lord of the Void and Crystal ball as well for the deck.
He may be giving me Nicol Bolas, plainswalker for the deck as well. My uncle has an Ashiok that I let him borrow. I got the Ashiok in a trade, but I think Ashiok could be interesting in EDH if she stays alive.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-22 1:43 pm 

Welcome, glad you have an awesome girlfriend and you are enjoying the format.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-22 5:20 pm 

hey there mate, I am glad that you are enjoying the format especially with your girlfriend, that rocks! I quite enjoy the Grixis colours myself, but I use Sedris, the Traitor King as the general. The most important things about EDH I would say are, 1. Enjoy the game, and 2, make sure everyone else at the table enjoys the game too! I find that making sure everybodies decks are as casual or as competetive as one another, is the key to ensuring that everybody has a fair shot of victory, and everyone can enjoy each game.

If you need any help building your deck or are looking for suggestions, please head over to the Decklists forum where we are usually helping each other build all kinds of decks. Looking forward to hearing from you in threads in the future!

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-22 11:27 pm 

Hullo, Bard! Welcome to the format!

As maiden mentioned if you'd like any help with deck building or have any questions about the format, or even have questions about Magic in general there is plenty of forum goers around to lend an ear.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-23 3:55 am 

Thank you all for the kind words,
I remembered that I have a copy of Fervor lying around and am going to be doing some playing with Lord of the Void and Jeleva with haste. I played a game yesterday one-on-one with Lordof the Void, I finally mannaged to get him onto the battlefield and he could benefit tramendously from haste, as could Jeleva.
My friend is still going to try and get me those cards hopefully soon. I'm just trying to not spend a large amount of money on other cards. Only reason my friend was getting me those is becuase I bought him lunch one day.
I just wish there was a way to make all perminents indestructable because things disappear and I don't get them back for a while, or ever. Unless I see elixor of immortality.
I'm really loving the game so far and am finding it very fun.
That Traitor King sounds really awesome. He would be cool in a deck with lots of big creatures, heck, maybe even Lord of the void would be a good target with that unearth ability.
get a 7/7 with flying with haste and when he attacks, you get another creature from your opponent? I like it
I'm finding that I enjoy bringing things back from my grave-yard. I've got a copy of spelltwine from the Jace duel deck, and I've got some other nice stuff in it like the jace's mindseeker and future sight which are all very nice.
I'll throw together a completed deck-list a little later for you guys to look at.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-23 4:38 am 

Here is the deck-list:
If I can get my hands on it, I will get Pull from the deep and probably replace something in the deck with that, maybe one of the basic lands, perhaps an island

1 Commander: Jeleva, Nephalia's skerge

40 land:
1  Akoum Refuge
1  Bojuka Bog
1  Command Tower
1  Crumbling Necropolis
1  Dimir Guildgate
1  Evolving Wilds
1  Grixis Panorama
9  Island
1  Izzet Boilerworks
1  Izzet Guildgate
1  Molten Slagheap
5  Mountain
1  Opal Palace
1  Rakdos Carnarium
1  Rakdos Guildgate
1  Rupture Spire
8  Swamp
1  Temple of the False God
1  Dread Statuary
1 Halimer Depths
1  Vivid Marsh

1 Plainswalkers:
1 Nicol Bolas, plainswalker
Or
1 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
(both of these are things that might go in. I'm not sure if my friend is going to give me Nicol Bolas, or ask for a trade. My Uncle who plays has Ashiok at the moment

14 Creatures:
1  Augur of Bolas
1 Archeomancer
1  Baleful Strix
1  Charmbreaker Devils
1  Echo Mage
1  Fog Bank
1  Guard Gomazoa
1  Guttersnipe
1 Jace's Mindseeker
1 Lord of the Void
1  Mnemonic Wall
1  Nightscape Familiar
1  Nivix Guildmage
1  Uyo, Silent Prophet

44 Other Spells:
1 Act of treason
1  Annihilate
1  Arcane Melee
1  Armillary Sphere
1  Army of the Damned
1 Asphyxiate
1 Bile Blight
1 Control Magic
1  Crosis's Charm
1  Cruel Ultimatum
1 Crystal Ball
1  Decree of Pain
1 Diabolic Tutor
1  Dismiss
1 Elixor of Immortality
1 Fervor
1  Fissure Vent
1 Future Sight
1  Grixis Charm
1 Guild
1 Hour of Need
1  Illusionist's Gambit
1  Incendiary Command
1 Index
1  Mirari
1  Obelisk of Grixis
1  Opportunity
1  Phthisis
1  Propaganda
1  Prosperity
1 Ray of Command
1 Reverberate
1 Silence the Believers
1  Skyscribing
1  Sol Ring
1  Soul Manipulation
1 Spelltwine
1  Strategic Planning
1 Strionic Resonator
1  Sudden Spoiling
1  Swiftfoot Boots
1  Temple Bell
1  Vision Skeins
1  Wild Ricochet

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-23 5:36 am 

Eldrazi Monument makes your creatures indestructible. You're gonna want a token generator if you use that though. I like Kher Keep.

Mayael the Anima

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-23 6:58 pm 

Yeah my Sedris list has lots of big creatures in it to take advantage of the unearth. A few flicker abilities to keep the stuff I unearth, and some normal reanimation so I don't rely on the general too much. I definitely agree with you on the haste. Anger is a great card too in fact in Grixis colours wonder and filth are all amazing and net huge adavantages. I would look at the newly spoiled Soul of Phyrexia if you like Indestructible, theres a thread talking about it here http://mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=17060. Also black has yawgmoth's will, whilst a pricey card, its is awesome and worth consideration, especially if you love getting your stuff back from the yard. mystic retrieval might be a good card for you as well. I think you could easily drop a land by the way, 39 should be fine, if I were you I might be tempted to run chromatic lantern and coalition relic for ramp though, to go with your sol ring. but 39 - 40 lands with no ramp is fine. If you added a few rocks you could probably run 37-38 depending on your personal preference and meta

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-24 12:22 am 

Bard,

I would find other cards for:

Vision Skeins
Hour of Need
Index
Asphyxiate

All of these cards have their place, but there are plenty of cheap cards better than these. I would start by putting in the Pull from the Deep or also Mystic Retrieval. Then I would put in a couple of counter spells: Rewind, Counterspell, Arcane Denial, and Dissolve are all solid, low-money investment counter spells.

And finally, I would add some more ramp if you can find it. As maiden77 has suggested, Chromatic Lantern is pretty solid. Darksteel Ingot and Gem of Becoming are two others which are really solid. Some people really like using Izzet Signet, Rakdos Signet, and Dimir Signet in their triple color decks as well.

I would suggest posting your decklist again in the actual Decklist Forum here on this website to draw more attention to your deck and hopefully get you any advice you want.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-24 2:46 am 

Vision Skeins -> Divination
Hour of Need -> Curse of the Swine
Index -> Ponder
Asphyxiate -> Terminate

Mayael the Anima

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-24 3:16 am 

A few cards I have that do well with Jeleva are:
Goblin Electromancer
Brainstorm
Hypersonic Dragon
Galvanoth

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-28 4:52 am 

My friend finally got me the cards he said he would yesterday. He got Lord of the Void, Crystal Ball, Strionic resonator and reverberate.
Does anybody have information about how the Strionic Resonator works? Do you pay the additional two as you are attacking with Jeleva to cast two spells and you have to do that every time she attacks?
Aside from that, I added in a few counterspells. I added in liturgy of blood and doom blade because they were both removal I had one hand. I'm probably going to remove asphyxiate in favor of a counterspell. I removed hour of need, evolving wilds and guard gomazoa for reverberate, memory lapse and remand.
I removed all of the "put X mana in, draw X cards for all players" to put in liturgy of blood, doom blade and midnight recovery. Midnight recovery I think will be better because it's a sourcery and I can return it to my hand if needed and it has cipher on it.
I figure memory lapse could be really good if they cast wrath of god or another powerful spell so I could exile it with Jeleva and either use it when I want or not use it at all
I remembered that in another box of cards I have I have the cluestones from Dragon's maze, I have a couple of them so was thinking of putting a couple of those into the deck.
I removed vision skains in favor of divination
All in all, I'm liking the way the deck is coming out.
Thanks for all of the recommendations.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-28 1:32 pm 

For Strionic Resonator you can activate it when you play Jeleva to make her exile twice as many spells and you can activate it each time she attacks to cast 2 spells instead of one.

Instead of using the Cluestones I would recommend the Signets. They are very inexpensive and usually pretty easy to find. You should be able to get all 3 in your colors for about a buck total.

Chromatic Lantern is also great for fixing mana.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-28 6:40 pm 

I am a bit confused, why are the signits so good? You are paying one mana and tapping it for mana of a specific color. with the cluestones, you don't need to pay anything, you just tap them for the mana you need.

Offline Profile