Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-16 6:17 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Thromok--Eat Your Heart Out
AgePosted: 2014-Jun-18 1:36 am 

green slime wrote:
A Hellion in a chariot?!?

If I made the deck based around what would go with a Hellion/Wurm in the 'real world' (ignoring the fact there are no monstrously-sized animals/insects/whatever of this kind), I'd likely have to throw out a lot of other cards in this deck which don't make any good sense.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-19 2:04 am 

Segrus wrote:
Perhaps......although, being purposefully argumentative, the same thing could technically happen to Artifact Mutation.
LOL, if someone had the balls to waste a removal spell to blow up their own artifact that was already going to get blown up, just to screw you out of the tokens... hell, the mere possibility of that kind of thing would be an argument FOR Artifact Mutation, in my opinion...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-19 2:07 am 

green slime wrote:
I'd also include Symbiotic Wurm before Hydra Omnivore. THe hydra generates more Board Hate, whereas the Wurm is tech with Mimic Vat.
I agree, but must point out that Wurm+Vat also needs a Sac outlet to really be techy. Otherwise you just get a vanilla 7/7 haste wurm each turn (not bad, but not exactly "tech" either). Speaking of Sac outlets... get that Greater Good in here!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-19 2:30 am 

thaumaturge wrote:
green slime wrote:
I'd also include Symbiotic Wurm before Hydra Omnivore. THe hydra generates more Board Hate, whereas the Wurm is tech with Mimic Vat.
I agree, but must point out that Wurm+Vat also needs a Sac outlet to really be techy. Otherwise you just get a vanilla 7/7 haste wurm each turn (not bad, but not exactly "tech" either). Speaking of Sac outlets... get that Greater Good in here!

In no particular order:
1. Horde of Notions
2. Varolz
3. Thromok
4. Mimeoplasm
5. Animar
6. Kresh
7. Polukranos

No. of Greater Goods currently owned: 0 :cry:
A card I used to see a lot of for cheap when I was starting to play, but played in formats which had no use for the card. So many opportunities wasted, and now I could probably find use for one in all of the above decks. I'm not particularly complaining, I just keep putting off getting any: to justify one would mean needing to consider how many I should get all at once, and I don't currently have the time to go through all of these decks to get a number.

Plus, I'll admit I'm just damn lazy about certain things.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-19 3:04 am 

I know, I know, I'm just teasin'.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-13 12:35 pm 

In the continuing effort to improve my decks:

- Bane of Progress
- Sporogenesis

+ Relentless Assault
+ Squirrel Nest

Sporogenesis just doesn't do it. Squirrel Nest will at least get me a token every turn and probably several turns sooner. Bane of Progress isn't impressing me at the moment. I'm always sad to see it, because usually I have the most artifacts/enchantments or tied for the most--all of them very vital. Relentless Assault will hopefully help me take out multiple troublesome opponents in one turn.

EDIT: No, still no Greater Good. :wink:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-13 9:17 pm 

Segrus wrote:

- Bane of Progress
- Sporogenesis

+ Relentless Assault
+ Squirrel Nest

Sporogenesis just doesn't do it. Squirrel Nest will at least get me a token every turn and probably several turns sooner. Bane of Progress isn't impressing me at the moment. I'm always sad to see it, because usually I have the most artifacts/enchantments or tied for the most--all of them very vital. Relentless Assault will hopefully help me take out multiple troublesome opponents in one turn.

EDIT: No, still no Greater Good. :wink:

You know the remedy :wink:

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-14 11:06 pm 

Segrus wrote:

- Bane of Progress
- Sporogenesis

+ Relentless Assault
+ Squirrel Nest

Good changes. I was a little surprised when you cast Sporogenesis. Sqirrel Nest is miles better.
Segrus wrote:
Relentless Assault will hopefully help me take out multiple troublesome opponents in one turn.

Are you implying something?

My tips, after getting to feel your deck a few times:
I would add Seize the Day before Relentless Assault, since your main thing is to kill with one big dude.
Xenagos, God of Revels
Artifact Mutation
Mage Slayer (since you seem keen about killing two players with one attack)
Messenger's Speed could be useful. I'd run it in Anax, if their trigger didn't already provide trample. If you want some utility added to that and don't mind a little higher cost, Traitorous Blood does the same thing, while giving you some more options.

Also: Chariot of Victory FTW! :lol:

In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Aug-15 12:30 am 

Antis wrote:
Are you implying something?

My tips, after getting to feel your deck a few times:
I would add Seize the Day before Relentless Assault, since your main thing is to kill with one big dude.
Xenagos, God of Revels
Artifact Mutation
Mage Slayer (since you seem keen about killing two players with one attack)
Messenger's Speed could be useful. I'd run it in Anax, if their trigger didn't already provide trample. If you want some utility added to that and don't mind a little higher cost, Traitorous Blood does the same thing, while giving you some more options.

Also: Chariot of Victory FTW! :lol:

Sporogenesis was a card I wanted to try out. It's a throw-away rare that probably hasn't seen the light of day since long ago--all the more reason to have tried it out!

1. Seize the Day--Relentless Assault was already on hand without any searching through my collection, which is why it got chosen. I don't already own a Seize the Day, but if I happen to come across one then I'll consider it.
2. Xenagos, God of Revels--mostly would be win-more in this deck, since Thromok is normally bigger than anything else ever. Also, I'm not playing any of the god cards in any of my decks. It's just a thing I have about them.
3. Artifact Mutation--suggested before, I just wasn't certain at the time what to replace. I feel like Emerald Medallion might need to find a new home, but it's hard to say. Medallion is definitely ramp for a bunch of other stuff in the deck, but highly vulnerable to removal.
4. Mage Slayer--this doesn't actually help to kill multiple opponents. Its effect only hits the defending player. This card is good, but Whispersilk Cloak is virtually the same effect in this case, and I'm not running the Cloak.
5. Messenger's Speed--I knew about this one, but it opens me up to further card disadvantage if they spot remove Thromak. There's already enough associated risk with virtually blowing up my own permanents to put Thromak on the board that I don't need to add to that if at all possible. As for steal effects, this deck is probably worse at taking advantage of that than Kresh is which therefore makes me hesitant to head down that path.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-01 12:20 pm 

Some changes have been made, the main one being:

- Ivy Lane Denizen, + Dragon Throne of Tarkir

I think the Denizen is nice, but never really enough. Dragon Throne does so much better.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-14 7:17 am 

I kinda miss my Thromok deck. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15517

I really enjoyed the Fling effects:

Fling
Stalking Vengeance
Bloodshot Cyclops
Soul's Fire

I had more of a token/devour theme going but there were many games where I could one-shot the whole table with a huge Thromok + Fling + Stalking Vengeance + either Death's Presence or Warstorm Surge

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-14 11:54 pm 

scatteredsun wrote:
I kinda miss my Thromok deck. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15517

I really enjoyed the Fling effects:

Fling
Stalking Vengeance
Bloodshot Cyclops
Soul's Fire

I had more of a token/devour theme going but there were many games where I could one-shot the whole table with a huge Thromok + Fling + Stalking Vengeance + either Death's Presence or Warstorm Surge

I definitely went the "build, attack, kill" route with Thromok at the head of the trampling death. I guess I keep finding that I get bored of doing too much tokens. It turns into an accounting game, and my attention span for that fades after a couple games. I think I might like having more Fling effects in this deck, but I also believe this deck is tuned in such a way that removing a few pieces for Fling effects would inevitably require removing a lot more cards.

I guess I don't know for certain.

EDIT: I need to investigate the build of the deck, and possibly try a completely different angle for a few games. I don't entirely know what the angle will be yet, but...

Last edited by Segrus on 2014-Oct-17 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-15 12:44 am 

thaumaturge wrote:
Also, needs more Greater Good. Drawing 25+ cards can be fun.

Did I mention my build sort of highlights this card (with similar effects like momentous fall) by playing it into Eureka? Its always pretty amusing to hit that combo. Cause people look at you like : "What's that idiot going to do in green and red after drawing 49 cards, discard 45 of them?" And then I'm all like "Eureka?"

Glint-Eye Nephilim (combat tricks, card draw, & creature pump)
Oloro Upkeep Tribal (enchantment-based control)
and more:Decklists

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-17 1:26 am 

mmcgeach wrote:
thaumaturge wrote:
Also, needs more Greater Good. Drawing 25+ cards can be fun.

Did I mention my build sort of highlights this card (with similar effects like momentous fall) by playing it into Eureka? Its always pretty amusing to hit that combo. Cause people look at you like : "What's that idiot going to do in green and red after drawing 49 cards, discard 45 of them?" And then I'm all like "Eureka?"

It's an interesting thought. Grixmas is coming up, and so I'm going to be possibly looking into really crappy quality Greater Goods while I'm looking up other prices (because I'm more than likely going to want to order a card or two for Grixmas that I don't currently own). I'm sitting here with a list of something like eleven cards I'd consider adding to this deck somehow...

Momentous Fall
Life's Legacy
Greater Good
Soul's Majesty
Skullmulcher
Tempt with Vengeance
Hunter's Prowess--fairly iffy
Selvala's Charge--also iffy, but at least I have a few of them
Tower of Fortunes
Artifact Mutation

and Eureka, just because if it doesn't work out I can always throw it into my Cube.
**mostly kidding about Eureka, since it's basically $100...also, Artifact Mutation is $1.50 or so. :roll:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Nov-07 5:28 am 

Segrus wrote:

I've tried a lot of these... artifact mutation is great. Tower of fortunes is great, and should be played in more green ramp decks. Hunter's Prowess is usually either overkill or unusable if you don't have the right creature in play... Hunter's insight is probably better. Skullmulcher is basically not what you want to do with tokens. Also devour:1 doesn't give him a big enough body. Slate of Ancestry is a better card for card drawing cause it doesn't kill your precious tokens. Soul's Majesty is too expensive at sorcery speed - just play garruk, primal hunter for the same mana cost.

Glint-Eye Nephilim (combat tricks, card draw, & creature pump)
Oloro Upkeep Tribal (enchantment-based control)
and more:Decklists

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next