Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-12 1:42 pm

Post subject: Re: Solid Green Devotion: Polukranos
AgePosted: 2014-May-19 8:02 pm 

- Nessian Hydra thingy
+ Jugan, the Rising Star

As previously discussed, this card should do me well. If something flying does manage to kill it off, something else of mine will on the ground really will start beating the snot out of my opponents.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-19 10:38 pm 

Segrus wrote:
- Nessian Hydra thingy
+ Jugan, the Rising Star

As previously discussed, this card should do me well. If something flying does manage to kill it off, something else of mine will on the ground really will start beating the snot out of my opponents.

My 1st love of magic is dragons so I will forgive you not adding the Direwolves of House Stark for the addition of Rhaegal of House Targaryen :mrgreen:

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-20 6:46 am 

It was already said, but not loudly enough for my liking.

Primalcrux!!!!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-20 7:02 am 

JJackson wrote:
It was already said, but not loudly enough for my liking.

Primalcrux!!!!

I've been trying to think of what cut I'd want to make for Primalcrux, actually. I think once I manage to get Khalni Hydra, I'll take out Vastwood Hydra to make space.

I haven't really gotten to see Craw Giant in action, but I'm sorely tempted to remove Heroes' Bane for Primalcrux. Every time I draw into Heroes' Bane, I end up never casting him. At the same time, I was kinda digging the pseudo-hydra-theme going on.

Then again, Nacatl War-Pride and Primalcrux, or Essence of the Wild and Primalcrux, is pretty degenerate. All three of them together is really degenerate (of course, Essence of the Wild would have to come down last, but that doesn't make it all any less cool). If anybody seeing this didn't know already:
Comprehensive Rules wrote:
706.2. When copying an object, the copy acquires the copiable values of the original object’s characteristics and, for an object on the stack, choices made when casting or activating it (mode, targets, the value of X, whether it was kicked, how it will affect multiple targets, and so on). The "copiable values" are the values derived from the text printed on the object (that text being name, mana cost, color indicator, card type, subtype, supertype, rules text, power, toughness, and/or loyalty), as modified by other copy effects, by “as . . . enters the battlefield” and "as . . . is turned face up" abilities that set characteristics, and by abilities that caused the object to be face down. Other effects (including type-changing and text-changing effects), status, and counters are not copied.

So, yes, Essence of the Wild copies--even token copies--each add {G}{G}{G} to any devotion or devotion-like ability. I keep talking about it, but I don't think I made it clear earlier for anyone not familiar with this interesting interaction.

EDIT: as an aside, Feed the Pack goes really well with Essence of the Wild, which is a trick I had in the previous incarnation of this deck. Too bad Feed the Pack doesn't have a second {G} in its cost...

Last edited by Segrus on 2014-May-20 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-20 7:17 am 

Segrus wrote:
I haven't really gotten to see Craw Giant in action

I saw it in action a bunch back when Chronicles was in print. It was always basically just Yavimaya Wurm until I drew Lure.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-20 7:21 am 

JJackson wrote:
Segrus wrote:
I haven't really gotten to see Craw Giant in action

I saw it in action a bunch back when Chronicles was in print. It was always basically just Yavimaya Wurm until I drew Lure.

This is what I'm afraid of, but I actually haven't seen either Craw Giant or Heroes' Bane in play yet. Craw Giant's advantage is the {G}{G}{G}{G} in its cost and the trample; however, Heoes' Bane's advantage is becoming massively large relatively quickly. I would take Heroes' Bane in a second if its cost was 1{G}{G}{G}{G} and they allowed it to have trample. Most likely, they didn't want something this good running around in Theros Limited and it definitely would make an impact on Standard.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-20 8:39 am 

No love for Force of Nature?

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-20 8:45 am 

If Craw Giant doesn't work out you can always swap it for Craterhoof Behemoth

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-20 9:00 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
No love for Force of Nature?

Not as much as I would like. I mean, don't get me wrong, 8/8 trample isn't to be taken lightly. The mana cost is also very appealing.

At the same time, the upkeep cost is a mega pain. In both test games, I managed to draw into something which got me a lot of mana. Without those, I'm likely to be left with only one or two mana after paying that at best (because it is likely I'm cheating this guy into play). This card is no Dragon Tyrant--people aren't going to be nearly as terrified of it as some of the other cards in the deck, and they'll have the same incentives to target what little land I'll have.

The more chances I get to play the deck, the better I'll be able to assess whether or not Force of Nature is an option.
Wolfram wrote:
If Craw Giant doesn't work out you can always swap it for Craterhoof Behemoth

Possibly, but it seems like getting out more than two or three creatures with this deck is unlikely. This is mostly because laying down more then two threats and a mana producer is asking to get blown out (since card draw in mono Green isn't exactly great). Also, the iconic Avenger-Craterhoof combo bores the snot out of me--literally, I snore so loudly my opponents get a face-full of the stuff. :wink:

I know you're not suggesting that combo, but if I put one in then I'll feel obligated to put the other in and...well...I'm liking the idea of Primalcrux more currently.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-28 9:45 am 

I've been playing green for a long time and card advantage is a big issue. I would recommend adding your garruk, primal hunter and greater good, because they would be very good in the deck. Another good but expensive inclusion would be regal force.

Other options for card advantage which have the requisite mana cost could be:
Ohran Viper
Magus of the Library, allthough not really late game.
Heartwood storyteller
Recycle
Primitive Etchings
Abundance
Collective Unconscious
Hua Tuo, honored physician, great with call of the wild

Spells:
Nature's resurgence
hunter's insight (not enough green mana symbols, but not a permanent)
hunter's prowess (not enough green mana symbols, but not a permanent)

Silklash Spider never let me down in my mono-green decks, so I would add it. Other flying options with lots of green mana symbols are killer bees, and unyaro bees. I always add Ifh-biff Efreet to my decks, but it's hard to come by and quite expensive, so I think it will be out of your budget.

I used to play a lot with Craw Giant, but unfortunately it proved to be a bad craw wurm most of the time. I would cut this one for Killer Bees any time. I do have a soft spot for Killer Bees :lol:

If you tell me which of the above cards you would like to add, maybe I can help you with specific cuts in your current build.

Hope this helps.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-28 12:44 pm 

Reighndragon wrote:

A lot of good suggestions, and other than the bees and Regal Force I have given some amount of consideration to the ones you've suggested.

I own a few Regal Forces which aren't currently being used (I've virtually given up any thought of playing Legacy or Modern, which leaves me with an elf deck to plunder for goodies). After some consideration though, I'm a little cautious to add it straight away due to the large mana cost, lack of trample or evasion, and slightly weaker P/T ratio. It will be better than Collective Unconscious, since Collective will likely end up being a 6-cost Harmonize in the majority of times I'll end up casting it (from a play experience perspective piloting the deck). Regal Force at least provides a body.

Abundance is one I was starting to consider after the last time I played this deck, in place of Gaea's Touch or Burgeoning.

I think playing the deck a few more times before making any more decisions is probably the next step.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-03 8:34 am 

Your single {G} rule is great but you miss out on one of Greens best anti-flyer creatures: Squallmonger! :mrgreen:

Otherwise, with {GGGG} in the cost, you've still no love for Cloudthresher? 7/7, Flash, Reach and the possibility to wipe some birds?

Love the deck though.

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-03 8:51 am 

zimagic wrote:
Your single {G} rule is great but you miss out on one of Greens best anti-flyer creatures: Squallmonger! :mrgreen:

Otherwise, with {GGGG} in the cost, you've still no love for Cloudthresher? 7/7, Flash, Reach and the possibility to wipe some birds?

Love the deck though.

Thanks! I think Cloudthresher hasn't come across my desk because I only own one in my Horde of Notions-Dredge-Elemental-Tribal...thing...I virtually just went through a lot of the cards I own and picked out what looked best at the time. When I start getting around to giving in and buying a Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary, then I'll consider tacking on the additional cost of Cloudthresher and others.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-09 1:23 am 

Conspiracy changes:

-Gaea's Touch
-Craw Giant
+Exploration
+Realm Seeker

Just better cards, honestly. Not a whole lot of explanation required.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-18 10:03 am 

PLENTY of changes since I last updated the deck on here:

- Heroes' Bane
- Hydra Broodmaster
- Hydra Omnivore
- Vastwood Hydra
- Vorapede
- Wildheart Invoker
- Yeva, Nature's Herald
- Bequeathal
- Harmonize
- Overrun
- 1 x Forest

+ Freyalise, Llanowar's Fury
+ Creeperhulk
+ Lifeblood Hydra
+ Temur Sabertooth
+ Temur War Shaman
+ Whisperwood Elemental
+ Nissa's Revelation
+ Praetor's Counsel
+ Shamanic Revelation
+ Whirlwind
+ Myriad Landscape

Hydra's just weren't doing the job. I have an unreasonable love of Omnivore, but progress in the deck meant cutting out some of the parts which weren't working. Strangely, Essence of the Wild works great (Verdant Force into Essence of the Wild is certifiably terrifying).

Manifest is still being tested though. Whisperwood is strong here, especially being able to protect my field from wrath secondary; Temur War Shaman not so much (which means its on the top of the list for being replaced next). Nissa's Revelation could see a cut for different draw effects later on, but it's nice that it doesn't rely on P/T values or board presence. Whirlwind has already earned its spot.

Offline Profile