Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-19 9:01 pm

Post subject: Fastgood, Goblin Tinkerer [Slobad]
AgePosted: 2013-Aug-30 9:57 am 

Slobad, Goblin Tinkerer is unusual in more ways than one. In canon he's the smartest goblin who ever lived (and, briefly, a planeswalker!). He's got more toughness than power, also an odd goblin trait. And he's got an activated ability whose uses aren't immediately clear.

Well, let me clear it up for you.

Commander
Slobad, Goblin Tinkerer

Mana Rocks
Sol Ring
Dreamstone Hedron
Mana Vault
Thran Dynamo
Gilded Lotus
Mycosynth Wellspring (kinda)

Recursion
Goblin Welder <3
Myr Retriever
Junk Diver
Trading Post
Salvaging Station
Nim Deathmantle
Codex Shredder
Elixir of Immortality

Multi-Target Disruption
All is Dust
Blasphemous Act
Chain Reaction
Blood Moon
Oblivion Stone
Molten Disaster
Torpor Orb <3

Single-Target Disruption
Shattering Pulse
Wild Ricochet
Into the Core
Spine of Ish Sah
Chaos Warp
Predator, Flagship
Duplicant
Karn Liberated
Phyrexian Furnace
Scrabbling Claws

Winning the Game
Bosh, Iron Golem
Steel Hellkite
Comet Storm
Hellkite Tyrant
Hellkite Igniter
Warp World (Warning: May not always win the game)

Salvaging Station package
Pyrite Spellbomb
Expedition Map
Any 1 or less mana artifact, see below

Card Advantage
Mind's Eye
Serum Tank
Staff of Nin
Planar Portal
Reforge the Soul

Utility (AKA Catch-all)
Thopter Assembly
Solemn Simulacrum
Gamble
Unwinding Clock
Mimic Vat
Mycosynth Lattice
Prototype Portal
Voltaic Key
Shimmer Myr
Vedalken Orrery
Mana Geyser
Cloud Key
Caged Sun
Mirrorworks
Reiterate
Hammer of Purphoros
Kuldotha Forgemaster
Lightning Greaves
Scroll Rack

Lands
Urza's Tower
Urza's Power Plant
Urza's Mine
Great Furnace
Darksteel Citadel
Strip Mine
Ghost Quarter
Tectonic Edge
Mystifying Maze
Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
Spinerock Knoll
Tower of the Magistrate
Buried Ruin
Eye of Ugin
Terrain Generator
Mikokoro, Center of the Sea
21 Mountains

So what's so great about Slobad?
He's a sacrifice outlet for value and able to protect important permanents from 95% of removal. If he can't keep them on the board, he'll at least keep them out of exile by sacrificing them. Then the large recursion package will kick in and retrieve it, and soon it'll be back on the board like nothing ever happened. Most single sweepers will leave you with 50-70% of your board intact.

What's with these cards?
Salvaging Station is often more like a free Voltaic Key than a recursion engine. Quite often I'll sacrifice a Voltaic Key, Sol Ring, or Mana Vault to Slobad, then Salvage it back into play to use a second time. However, if you have a Mirrorworks in play, it gets even spicier, able to create a token Sol Ring, Mana Vault, or Great Furnace every time a creature dies anywhere on the board.

Thopter Assembly creates a ton of value by keeping the threat of indestructibility for lots of permanents up simultaneously, and also sacrificing tokens to Trading Post to draw cards or recur artifacts.

Blood Moon hits my extensive suite of utility lands hard, but it hits my opponents harder. 3-5 color decks are popular in my area, and Blood Moon helps keep them honest. I chose it over Ruination for being a little nicer and less backbreaking.

Phyrexian Furnace and Scrabbling Claws are my graveyard hate cards of choice because they cantrip and can both grind away opposing 'yards without needing to be sacrificed. They are both Salvageable.

Torpor Orb is a meta-breaker. Local decks have become complacent about using ETB creatures and Aura Shards as removal. I only have two ETB effects in the deck, both good enough to sacrifice Torpor Orb to. It isn't a problem, since my general is an amazing sac outlet.

Comments, criticism, and questions are welcome!

Bookkeeper: what is this randomizer
Glix: what just happened
Bookkeeper: i don't even
Rollinond20s: Fuck wthat the
Glix: I have witnessed the void

Slobad, Goblin Tinkerer - Reki, History of Kamigawa

Last edited by Bookkeeper on 2014-May-10 2:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Fastgood, Goblin Tinkerer [Slobad]
AgePosted: 2013-Aug-30 2:30 pm 

I like the salvaging station. I think you should look into getting Flayer Husk, Terrarion and/or Panic Spellbomb, and maybe a Chimeric Coils.

Armilery sphere should come out for a Mycosynth Wellspring. You get the same two lands for two less mana, and you can use it with slobad (have to, for that second land, but that shouldn't be a problem). Or take out another mountain if you think the deck can handle it.

EDH decklists! Post'em if you got'em!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Aug-31 1:11 am 

None of those 1-drops are any good. Not every 1-mana artifact gets a free pass because it's 1 mana.

Wellspring in for Sphere is great, though. Thanks!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Aug-31 6:32 am 

I know those 1-drops are bad, I just liked the idea of slobad, salvaging station, and flayer husk making everything indestructible.

EDH decklists! Post'em if you got'em!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Aug-31 11:07 am 
EDH Rules Committee

I've got a deck based around Salvaging Station stuff. Here are some good 1 drops that you might want to consider:

Conjurer's Bauble, Chromatic Star: Not great on their own, but they cycle very cheaply so won't get in the way. They're excellent with Salvaging Station since their draw costs no mana, which is important after a sweeper, when you've got a bunch of untap triggers on the stack and not enough mana to take advantage of them. Not as good in your deck since you're monocolour (chromatic star) and have no Sunforger (conjurer's bauble), but they're still worthwhile if Salvaging station is a big part of your plan. There's also Chromatic Sphere is you want one more.
Tormod's Crypt: Similar to the above, lets you utilize Station for no mana. Doesn't draw you cards, but it leaves your graveyard intact.
Wayfarer's Bauble: Not the same card advantage as Armillary Sphere, but it's real ramp instead of pseudo-ramp, and it's stationable.
Voyager Staff: You don't have a whole ton of etb triggers, but Voyager Staff is really good defensively too, as a mini-fog machine
Codex Shredder, Avarice Totem, Liar's Pendulum, Brittle Effigy: Since you're mono red, recursion, card draw and dealing with certain permanents are tough. These four are a little more mana than other colours might like to pay, but they're all still quite good.
Sensei's Divining Top, Skullclamp, Pithing Needle, Grafdiggers Cage: Self explanatory.

With a lot of these, as well as a lot of the rest of your deck, Rings of Brighthearth adds a lot of value. Also, I'd recommend Ichor Wellspring to go with the Mycosynth one. Both of them do a lot for you.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Aug-31 11:21 am 

Brittle Effigy exiles itself as a cost of activating its ability. Or are you suggesting it just as fodder for Slobad?

Sidisi - Nin

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Aug-31 12:33 pm 

Ban Ki-moon wrote:
I've got a deck based around Salvaging Station stuff. Here are some good 1 drops that you might want to consider:

Conjurer's Bauble, Chromatic Star: Not great on their own, but they cycle very cheaply so won't get in the way. They're excellent with Salvaging Station since their draw costs no mana, which is important after a sweeper, when you've got a bunch of untap triggers on the stack and not enough mana to take advantage of them. Not as good in your deck since you're monocolour (chromatic star) and have no Sunforger (conjurer's bauble), but they're still worthwhile if Salvaging station is a big part of your plan. There's also Chromatic Sphere is you want one more.
Tormod's Crypt: Similar to the above, lets you utilize Station for no mana. Doesn't draw you cards, but it leaves your graveyard intact.
Wayfarer's Bauble: Not the same card advantage as Armillary Sphere, but it's real ramp instead of pseudo-ramp, and it's stationable.
Voyager Staff: You don't have a whole ton of etb triggers, but Voyager Staff is really good defensively too, as a mini-fog machine
Codex Shredder, Avarice Totem, Liar's Pendulum, Brittle Effigy: Since you're mono red, recursion, card draw and dealing with certain permanents are tough. These four are a little more mana than other colours might like to pay, but they're all still quite good.
Sensei's Divining Top, Skullclamp, Pithing Needle, Grafdiggers Cage: Self explanatory.

With a lot of these, as well as a lot of the rest of your deck, Rings of Brighthearth adds a lot of value. Also, I'd recommend Ichor Wellspring to go with the Mycosynth one. Both of them do a lot for you.

This list is condensed out of a list with a few fluid spots where I've been trying out Voyager Staff, Pithing Needle, and Crypt. Rings was out for experimentation in another deck but it's certainly going back in. Cage, Top, and Clamp didn't test well; Clamp only kills Thopter tokens and creatures that I'd rather have alive. Codex Shredder is a definite possibility. Kind of expensive, but gets back anything and I can Salvage it. I'll test one at earliest convenience. Star, Sphere, and Bauble didn't test well either. They do too little, and Ichor Wellspring is decent but I'd rather play something else.

Wayfarer's Bauble is going in, I think. I'll have to cut cards carefully. Maybe Kiki-Jiki finally gets the axe.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Aug-31 12:52 pm 
EDH Rules Committee

Aggro_zombies wrote:
Brittle Effigy exiles itself as a cost of activating its ability. Or are you suggesting it just as fodder for Slobad?

That's right. You can't recur it for unlimited creature removal unfortunately, but cheap artifacts have a lot of utility in the deck by themselves, just to use for Slobad/Goblin Welder/Ironworks/Trading Post stuff. Until a problematic threat hits, at which point you have a permanent answer, which isn't going to get much cheaper in monored than Brittle Effigy anyway.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Sep-08 7:27 am 

Changelog:

-Armillary Sphere +Mycosynth Wellspring
-Relic of Progenitus +Phyrexian Furnace
-Surreal Memoir +Codex Shredder

Changelog:

ehhhhh....I cut a bunch of stuff for a bunch of other stuff. The current decklist is correct.

Nov. 06, 2013

-Koth +Eye of Ugin

I'm trading for a Kozilek soon and being able to tutor up most of my creatures and chop off some of Kozi's mana cost is better than untapping a mountain every turn and maybe getting an emblem (with my large amount of nonbasics). Since Eye doesn't tap for mana in the traditional sense I cut a spell for it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-10 2:06 pm 

As of 5/10/2014:

-Knollspine Dragon
-Pyrite Spellbomb