-Arena Athlete
-Perplex
-Dragonshift
-Goblin Electromancer

+Marchesa's Smuggler
+Dimir Doppelganger
+Marchesa, the Black Ros
+Dack's Duplicate

After having played this deck a few times now, I've come to realize it needed more creatures. This isn't a whole lot, but I do need to go back and find some of the heroes I'm missing. The cards I dropped were, on average, very lackluster. I never wanted to play Dragonshift whenever I drew it. Perplex and Arena Athlete are terrible, but never did enough. Goblin Electromancer was hard to cut. In the end, there were just too many times I drew this guy and didn't have a single thing for him to reduce. The others I added should be more useful more often.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Heroic Thraximundar?
AgePosted: 2015-Aug-16 11:53 am 

Minor changes:

- Undying Evil
+ Dark Dabbling

The ability to regenerate all of my creatures coupled with cantripping is going to feel better than Undying Evil (although Undying Evil is really cool in this deck).

- ...something I don't remember...
+ Willbreaker

I got a foil one in packs, and it just seems like a good card in here.

I welcome all comments and questions on the deck. It's very much still a work in progress. It's still quite a weird deck which is still going in every which direction.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-16 11:12 pm 

You could probably get some good milage out of stuff that triggers all your things;
Dwarven Song
Sea King's Blessing
Sway of Illusion
Touch of Darkness

Also even if you don't try any of those, Isochron Scepter probably would be a good choice.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-17 1:12 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
You could probably get some good milage out of stuff that triggers all your things;
Dwarven Song
Sea King's Blessing
Sway of Illusion
Touch of Darkness

Also even if you don't try any of those, Isochron Scepter probably would be a good choice.
Thank you for the thoughts. They would be great for Heroic, if there were more Heroic cards available and if I could keep them on the field long enough. Unfortunately, even with the number of copy effects I have in the deck I normally only hold onto one to three on the field max before they all get blown away by removal. People don't normally like it when I have even a single Agent of Fates around.

I would have to restructure the deck in several ways to get Isochron Scepter to work, which is why I don't already have it in here. Currently, there's about a handful of cards which work with it, which isn't great odds for drawing both Scepter and a CMC =2 or less.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-17 1:35 am 

Fair enough. You might also consider Elite Arcanist, which has the advantage of not being limited to CMC 2, although the disadvantage of being a creature.

Why are you using those particular counterspells? They seem like pretty weak options overall.

Seething Anger?

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-17 2:18 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Fair enough. You might also consider Elite Arcanist, which has the advantage of not being limited to CMC 2, although the disadvantage of being a creature.

Why are you using those particular counterspells? They seem like pretty weak options overall.

Seething Anger?
Elite Arcanist is likely a better option, and I'll think more on a good place for one.

The counter spells here are wacky. There's a few reasons why I have them. First, I didn't necessarily know if this deck would ever work right (and I'm still not yet convinced it does), so when I initially built it I didn't try putting any money towards it. These are the ones I had on hand. Second, I immediately recognized the land base was strained. I couldn't reliably get the colored mana I needed, so fixing the mana base came before looking at any other cards in the deck. With it fixed now, from pulling good lands from sort-of Legacy decks I had lying around unused, counter spells could use some boosting.

Now then, Memory Lapse is meant as a poor Remand (a very poor Remand, don't get me wrong). It can pull double duty: trip someone up, or get more than one use from one of my own spells. Arcane Denial, while losing card advantage, solid counters a spell without the hassle of double blue and cantrips. It's not great, but does an honest job.

Counterflux should really be something else. Now that I have my better cards more organized now, I should see if there's a Force of Will or something better hanging around without a home. If anything, at least Counterspell.

Oh, yes, Seething Anger--needs to buys mores of thoses.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-04 10:39 am 

After tested out these changes a few times now and being very satisfied with the results, the heroics of Thraximundar is now welcoming some of his Allies for support! While I've been able to implement some of the changes suggested previously--which I definitely have not forgotten--I've figured out how to help out this deck and breath new life into it.

Before, the clone effects were just a cute addition to the deck. I would target a heroic creature so I could have more heroic creatures to target later. In a pinch, I could just target some of my opponents' creatures. The inherent problem with this is the heroic creatures were few and far between, and my opponents can use their creatures normally better than I can. I tried to correct this initially by trying out a number of good non-heroic creatures. Unfortunately, this just makes the deck continually unstable by trying to do too many things at once.

In steps Allies. They love clone effects, and Zada loves them even more. Kazuul Warlod plus Mirror Mockery is super good. Now, the heroic creatures play the appropriate role of control in the deck, while the Allies bust open the gates with their power (while also providing some utility). I can't recall anymore which cards I took out, but here are the most of the cards I've added:

Zada, Hedron Grinder..................Kazuul Warlord
Sea Gate Loremaster...................Seascape Aerialist
Hagra Diabolist.........................Agadeem Occultist
Chasm Guide.............................Firemantle Mage
Ondu Champion

Mirror Mockery...........................Willbreaker

Also as a side note, Battlefield Thaumaturge and Comet Storm is still awesome. It's hard to express just how back breaking it can be.

Offline Profile