Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-05 5:46 am

Post subject: Jeleva, Grixis Spellslinger
AgePosted: 2014-Apr-16 6:14 pm 

The basic idea of this deck is to play all the grixis spells I think are cool that aren't efficient enough to run in most other decks. I want to keep the permanent count pretty low so I don't whiff when I cast Jeleva. I also want the deck to be pretty casual.

My budget for the deck is pretty low. I don't really want to get cards that are more than a couple bucks but if I have it lying around I will put it in. Feel free to suggest moderately expensive cards in case I can buy some later or if anyone else wants to see the suggestions for their own deck.

Jeleva's role is to be cast and start attacking until there are no more spells she can cast. At that point I want her immediately killed so she can be recast.

Commander
Jeleva, Nephalia's Scourge

Big Spells
Alpha Brawl
Army of the Damned
Bituminous Blast
Blasphemous Act
Counterlash
Cruel Ultimatum
Decree of Pain
Enter the Infinite
Fated Return
Firemind's Foresight
Life's Finale
Opportunity
Rise of the Dark Realms
Spelltwine
Stolen Identity
Undercity Plague
Wit's End

Epic Experiment

Card Draw
Pilfered Plans
Read the Bones
Sign in Blood
Steam Augury
Toil // Trouble
Uncovered Clues

Small Spells
Dimir Charm
Increasing Vengeance
Izzet Charm
Rakdos Charm
Sever the Bloodline
Turn // Burn
Vandalblast

Sac Outlet Spells (in case Jeleva manages to live past her usefulness)
Altar's Reap
Bone Splinters
Burnt Offering
Reckless Abandon

Creatures
Consuming Aberration
Goblin Electromancer
Hypersonic Dragon
Melek, Izzet Paragon
Mercurial Chemister
Mnemonic Wall
Nivix Guildmage
Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius
Talrand, Sky Summoner

Mana (all the cluestones will be replaced with signets once I get them)
Dimir Keyrune
Dimir Signet
Darksteel Ingot
Izzet Keyrune
Izzet Signet
Rakdos Keyrune
Rakdos Signet
Talisman of Indulgence

Equipment
Lightning Greaves
Swiftfoot Boots
Runechanter's Pike

Other Stuff (mostly enchantments)
Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
Fervor
Grave Betrayal
Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker
No Mercy
Omniscience
Strionic Resonator

37 Lands (not very important)

The sac outlet spells are necessary because lands that let you sac creatures are expensive and I don't want any more permanents in the deck if I can avoid it. If there are better options for these I would gladly like to hear about them. The ones I listed were the ones I had already.

I like the charms since they let me run limited counterspells that aren't dead on Jeleva. Sure Cryptic Command would be great but I can't afford it. Counterlash is the only other counterspell in there because I think it will be fun with all the high-cost spells in the deck. I may take it out though.

I haven't tested this deck out very much so we'll see how it goes.

Edit: I got some better mana rocks so I updated those and Breaking // Entering was kinda lame here so its out for Strionic Resonator

Last edited by Wolfram on 2014-Apr-23 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Jeleva, Grixis Spellslinger
AgePosted: 2014-Apr-23 2:40 pm 

I found that Jeleva really wants consistent haste. One early attack with her can win you the game if you cast something like Army of the Damned with it, but if she sits there for a whole turn cycle with a spell like that exiled and visible to everyone, she will die before you can use it. I'd recommend Hammer of Purphoros as a cheap second Fervor, and Hall of the Bandit Lord has worked wonders for me as well. I also run Ring of Valkas just to increase consistency even more.

Riptide Laboratory can save Jeleva or bounce her for a second casting when she's running empty, though your sac outlets fulfill a similiar purpose.

To increase your strategic options, it's a good to idea to manipulate which spells Jeleva will exile. Brainstorm and Dream Cache can put expensive stuff from your hand on top of your library, while Mystical Tutor, Long-Term Plans and Lim-Dûl's Vault find what you need from your library for cheap.

To double your fun, consider cards like Strionic Resonator (either lets Jeleva exile twice as many cards or let her cast two spells at once) and Mirari (doubles your spells for a small price). Cards that let you attack twice can also be useful, my favorite is Savage Beating (note that you CAN pay entwine or kicker costs even when you cast a card with Jeleva). Though since you're in blue you might as well go straight for extra turns, not all playgroups enjoy this however (mine doesn't).

Some more big spells I've had fun with include Blatant Thievery, Curse of the Cabal, Sins of the Past, anything that casts stuff from your opponent's library ( Knowledge Exploitation, Acquire, Bribery ) Rite of Replication and Eternal Dominion (that one must be cast early or copied for a doubled effect though, later on your enemies will be able to outmatch your one free card per turn).

Lastly, give Spellweaver Volute a shot. It's a weird card, but beautiful when it works. And it has worked often and well for me :D

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Jeleva, Grixis Spellslinger
AgePosted: 2014-Apr-23 5:43 pm 

Thank you Zordrath for all the suggestions.
I don't really like the double red on the Hammer, especially since I'm running a little less red sources in the deck but I probably have some rings so I might throw one in for more haste.

The 2 lands you suggested are out of my price range for this deck and would go into other decks before this even if I had them. They would definitely be improvements though so I'll keep them in mind in case I ever have spares.

I'm not sure why I don't have Brainstorm and other such cards in here so I'll fix that.

Long-term Plans is a great idea so I'll pick one of those up eventually.
Strionic Resonator will go in as well.

The big spells are interesting. If I find copies of Curse of the Cabal or Sins of the Past I'll put them in. I'm not a huge fan of stealing stuff out of decks though. Extra turns aren't very fun so I'm steering clear of that. Eternal Dominion is cools but I want to be casting all my spells so I'll have to pass on that one.

Offline Profile