Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-17 11:16 am

Post subject: Pantheon of the Gods - Karona God-Themed Deck
AgePosted: 2014-Apr-24 11:22 am 

So I noticed a random fun fact looking at the Journey spoiler. The god cycle is actually self sustaining; if you have all of them in play you have exactly enough devotion to turn all of them on. I'd like to think that kind of neat symmetry wasn't accidental and instead supports a theme of the pantheon of the gods being a whole entity that exists in a sort of harmony.

That got the thematic juices flowing and I immediately thought of Karona who I've been thinking about building around for a while. So instead of going with the pretty standard 'keep control of my Karona build' or even the wacky 'avatar tribal' she seemed like the perfect fit for a god themed deck.

My Metagame

I definitely tend toward the more durdley end of the spectrum. My usual play groups don't have issues with powerful cards and interactions as long as they don't end the game instantly or lock people out. Hard combos that don't involve a lot of cards and indiscriminate mass land destruction is generally frowned upon. So going big and strong isn't an issue, but I want to keep things interactive and avoid plays that shut the game or a player down instantly.

Other Constraints

I'm not super budget restricted, but I don't want to just throw money at the deck for the sake of throwing money at the deck. Yes, I know the original duals would be better but I don't really have much interesting in having a deck with a thousand dollar mana base. Damnation is right on the edge for budget reasons... it's nearly fifty dollars for basically another Wrath of God. It's thematically great but I'm not sure the bang-for-my-buck is worth it. I have a deck where all my money goes (five color Planeswalker control in all foil), I don't need another one.

What I'm Looking For

Feedback and suggestions mostly. This list is the product of an hour or two of poking around looking for cards that were both effective and on theme. I'm sure I missed some great ones and I'm sure some of the stuff I have here isn't ideal. I'd love to hear other people ideals on what to add/change and where I can go. I'm a sucker for theme though, so please keep the whole 'god and their powers' theme in mind when making suggestions.

The Decklist
Commander
Karona, False God

Artifacts
Crystal Chimes
Darksteel Ingot
Sol Ring
Coalition Relic

Creatures
Argothian Enchantress
Celestial Ancient
Femeref Enchantress
Verduran Enchantress
Silent Sentinel
Monk Idealist
Eternal Witness
Arbiter of the Ideal
Mesa Enchantress
Athreos, God of Passage
Ephara, God of the Polis
Erebos, God of the Dead
Heliod, God of the Sun
Purphoros, God of the Forge
Nylea, God of the Hunt
Thassa, God of the Sea
Iroas, God of Victory
Karametra, God of Harvests
Keranos, God of Storms
Kruphix, God of Horizons
Mogis, God of Slaughter
Pharika, God of Afflict]ion
Phenax, God of Deception
Xenagos, God of Revels
Celestial Archon
Eidolon of Blossoms

Enchantments
Vow of Malice
Vow of Duty
Vow of Flight
Vow of Lightning
Vow of Wildness
Forced Worship
Worship
Dictate of Erebos
Dictate of Heliod
Dictate of Karametra
Dictate of Kruphix
Dictate of the Twin Gods
Enchantress's Presence
Sigil of the Empty Throne
Sphere of Safety
Blind Obedience
Brilliant Halo
Runed Halo
Oblivion Ring
Omniscience
Whip of Erebos
Bow of Nylea
Hammer of Purphoros
Bident of Thassa
Spear of Heliod

Spells
Wrath of God
Day of Judgment
Anger of the Gods
Calming Verse
Open the Vaults
Damnation
Austere Command
Enlightened Tutor

Land
Temple of the False God
Temple of Abandon
Temple of Deceit
Temple of Enlightenment
Temple of Malice
Temple of Mystery
Temple of Plenty
Temple of Silence
Temple of Triumph
Temple Garden
Godless Shrine
Cathedral of War
Celestial Colonnade
Rupture Spire
Transguild Promenade
City of Brass
Mana Confluence
Hallowed Fountain
Swamp
Mountain
Isolated Chapel
Island
Island
Plains
Plains
Forest
Forest
Command Tower
Vivid Crag
Vivid Creek
Vivid Grove
Vivid Marsh
Vivid Meadow
Homeward Path
Terramorphic Expanse
Evolving Wilds

Artifact Discussion

Not a lot to talk about here. Relic and Ingot are much needed fixing in a five color deck. Sol Ring is... Sol Ring. The only other card I considered here was Astral Cornucopia since it's also five color fixing, potentiall ramp, and is on theme.

Crystal Chimes is a solid recursion effect, it returns a huge Swath of my cards. Plus it's sort of angelic/heavenly themed.

Creature Discussion

The gods are the most obvious factor here. Since they are sort of the core theme of the deck and theme is very important to me they are inviolate. It's probably not a big deal given that all of them are pretty strong players all on their own.

The second theme is most obvious here in the Enchantress style cards. With all the gods and their assort panoply being enchantments it was pretty obvious that I could leverage that to increase the effectiveness of the deck. Adding the standard suite of Enchantress effects plus the newly minted Eidolon of Blossoms seemed like an easy choice.

That leaves a handful of minor players to discuss. Eternal Witness sounds like a name would be associated with the gods and as everyone is aware it's also just an all around good card. Arbiter of Ideals and Silent Sentinel both are hugely powerful with the number of enchantments I'm running and are reasonable threats as well. Monk Idealist is in there for enchantment recursion (I thought the name was better thematically than Auramancer). Celestial Archon is probably the weakest card here being basically a slightly on theme threat that happens to be an enchantment.

Enchantment Discussion

Lots to chew on here. First off the Vow cycle is thematically appropriate (taking a vow to a god) and are super useful for both controlling Karona as well as neutralizing big threats from other players.

The godly equipment is, to be honest, just thrown in here. Looking it over they all seem reasonably useful. None of them strike me as worthless and thematically they belong; I'd be someone hesitant to cut them just from that standpoint.

Blind Obedience, Worship, Forced Worship, Brilliant Halo, and Runed Halo are all both effective as well as strong nods to theme. Forced Worship in particular strikes me as potentially pretty abusable with the Enchantress theme. Brilliant Halo is probably the weakest overall, but it's a cheap enchantment that can be returned. Still, if a change or cut had to be made it'd probably be the first on the scrap heap.

Sigil of the Empty Throne and Enchantress's Presence are both there for the Enchantress sub-theme running through the deck. Sigil isn't terribly of theme since it pumps out angels when I cast gods, something that seems like it makes sense.

The Dictate cycle from Journey is a bit iffy. The usefulness and power level are all over the place, but they all are thematically on point so they're here for now. In particular though the dictates of Heliod, Kruphix, and Karametra are the ones that strike me as the least useful. Dictate of Erebos might also be questionable given that fifteen of my twenty-seven creatures
are indestructible.

Omniscience is a spell that I feel deserves it's own paragraph. I generally hate this enchantment, as I don't think I've ever seen it cast without being some part of a game ending abusive combo. It often removes any counterplay or interaction, especially in decks built around it. For this deck, however, I don't really have *too* much going on that would be abusive with it outside of potentially chaining enchantment draws with the Enchantresses. That said, if ever there was a deck that this card fit thematically in this is the one. They're gods for goodness sake, they're supposed to be omniscient.

Spell Discussion

Another section with not a lot of meat in it. Wrath of God, Day of Judgment, Damnation, and Anger of the Gods are all sweepers that are both good and thematically appropriate. I had a friend question Austere Command but for me that sounds like something that a god would do both in name and effect and it's all around pretty useful. Calming Verse is sort of the same, and I like the fact that both of them destroying enchantments is something my gods are immune to. Sort of a 'cast down the other false idols' vibe.

Open the Vaults recurs half my deck, but I could see situations where it's going to just be a dead card. There is likely often going to be someone running an artifact or graveyard strategy that would benefit from this more than I would.

Enlightened Tutor is my minor concession to tutor effects. It get s a huge swath of my cards, the name is somewhat on theme, and the cost is very low. I generally don't care to run a bunch of tutors in my decks as it feels like it defeats the point of the format. Having one or two that you can hold to dig for a specific answer is fine though.

Land Discussion

The Temple cycle seems like a no-brainer. They're thematically great, they fix me fairly well, and scry is always great to have. I dropped in other duals that I felt had an on-theme name such as Temple Garden, Hallowed Fountain, and Celestial Colonnade. I veer off theme slightly with Command Tower, City of Brass, Rupture Spire, Transguild Promenade, and Mana Confluence but this is still a five color deck and I'm light on fixing as it is so I needed some rainbow sources.

Anyhow, I'm definitely interested to see what you folks have to say. I've lurked here for a while and this is actually my first post. Let me know your thoughts.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Pantheon of the Gods - Karona God-Themed Deck
AgePosted: 2014-Apr-24 2:21 pm 

Why don't you play Eidolon of Countless Battles instead of Celestial Archon?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Pantheon of the Gods - Karona God-Themed Deck
AgePosted: 2014-Apr-25 4:33 am 

ivellios86 wrote:
Why don't you play Eidolon of Countless Battles instead of Celestial Archon?

Well aside from the fact I already mentioned that Celestial Archon is on the potential chopping block I think it's a better creature than Eidolon of Countless Battles. The Eidolon having no evasion is a big drawback; it's going to be potentially much larger than the Archon but there is almost always going to be something to throw in front of it. Given that almost all the gods suffer from the same 'big no evasion donk' problem I don't think adding another one would help things.

Maelstrom Archangel seems like it might be the pick here to replace the Archon unless I find something better.

Offline Profile