Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-23 3:33 am

Post subject: GW Token deck Emmara or Rhys
AgePosted: 2014-Jun-10 11:37 pm 

My friends are trying to get me into EDH because that is now all that they play. This is my first decklist and any help would be greatly appreciated. The deck is based around tokens and tribal synergies, lots of wolves and wolf tokens and lots of elves. Unfortunately, I don't know what cards are good and what can be replaced/upgraded due to not having a vast knowledge of magic beyond finding stuff on gatherer. Friends don't mind proxies so budget isn't an issue and its generally FFA occasionally 1v1 though. I'm debating whether to use emmara or rhys as the commander

1 Mosswort Bridge
1 Oran-Rief, the Vastwood
1 Gaea's Cradle
1 Kor Haven
1 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
1 Selesnya Guildgate
1 Cavern of Souls
1 Elfhame Palace
1 Gavony Township
1 Graypelt Refuge
1 Grove of the Guardian
1 Karoo
1 Krosan Verge
1 Savannah
1 Sunpetal Grove
1 Temple Garden
5 Plains
10 Forest
1 Temple of Plenty

32 Lands

1 Master of the Wild Hunt
1 Wolfbriar Elemental
1 Briarpack Alpha
1 Darkthicket Wolf
1 Kessig Cagebreakers
1 Lone Wolf
1 Master of the Hunt
1 Rot Wolf
1 Timber Wolves
1 Timberpack Wolf
1 Ulvenwald Bear
1 Witchstalker
1 Wolf Pack
1 Wolfir Silverheart
1 Wolfir Avenger
1 Wyluli Wolf
1 Young Wolf
1 Wolf-Skull Shaman
1 Wren's Run Packmaster
1 Emmara Tandris
1 Voice of Resurgence
1 Mikaeus, the Lunarch
1 Rhys the Redeemed
1 Eladamri, Lord of Leaves
1 Glistener Elf
1 Viridian Corrupter
1 Llanowar Elves
1 Ambush Commander
1 Elvish Mystic
1 Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary
1 Elvish Harbinger
1 Elvish Piper
1 Fauna Shaman
1 Mul Daya Channelers
1 Guardian of Vitu-Ghazi
1 Vitu-Ghazi Guildmage
1 Trostani, Selesnya's Voice
1 Trostani's Summoner
1 Karametra, God of Harvests
39 Creatures

1 Howl of the Night Pack
1 Bestial Menace
1 Triumph of the Hordes
1 Eladamri's Call
1 Sylvan Tutor
1 Elvish Promenade
1 Sprouting Vines
1 Sylvan Scrying
Spells: 8

1 Swiftfoot Boots
1 Bow of Nylea
1 Sol Ring
1 Selesnya Signet
1 Selesnya Keyrune
Artifacts: 5

1 Feed the Pack
1 Death's Presence
1 Spawning Grounds
1 Aspect of Wolf
1 Raised by Wolves
1 Gaea's Anthem
1 Gaea's Touch
1 Triumph of Ferocity
1 Primeval Bounty
1 Cathars' Crusade
1 Fecundity
1 Flourishing Defenses
Enchantments:12

1 Garruk, Primal Hunter
1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
1 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
1 Garruk Relentless // Garruk, the Veil-Cursed
4 Planeswalkers

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: GW Token deck Emmara or Rhys
AgePosted: 2014-Jun-11 6:46 am 

Rhys is a more potent commander BY FAR, Emmara is actually kinda craptastic. However, if you're playing with more veteran EDHers, Rhys will also be more likely to paint a target on your head. Best case, they'll just kill Rhys over and over before he can do anything useful for you, worst case, they'll just kill YOU to be safe...

So, I'd suggest you start by trying out Rhys, as the better of two options, but if you find he draws too much hate, switch him out for something a little less scary.

Tolsimir Wolfblood is a pretty cool choice for a wolf-centric deck as well.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-11 7:46 am 

thaumaturge wrote:
Tolsimir Wolfblood is a pretty cool choice for a wolf-centric deck as well.

After I read your opening paragraph, I ctrl+f'ed to see if he had been included. He's the right general, hands down.

As for what cards are good, you probably want to drop some of the small and not-that-efficient wolves and elves (Glistener Elf, Timberpack Wolves, etc) and get some more Overrun-type effects in there.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-11 9:33 am 

Garruk Relentless counts as a black card but if your play group doesn't mind I'm sure it won't be a problem. Garruk Wildspeaker would be a nice replacement though if you take him out.

I second the recommendation to try Tolsimir Wolfblood. He's a very cool card and fits in thematically. Emmara is pretty disappointing as a 7 drop to be honest.

A couple lands you can look into are Windbrisk Heights which just got reprinted in the modern event deck and Winding Canyons.

Elesh Norn is very powerful, especially in token decks. Expensive but if you proxy then it shouldn't be a problem.

Anthem effects are really good in token decks. A few good ones are Spear of Heliod, Marshal's Anthem, Dictate of Heliod and Collective Blessing.

Worldly Tutor is a little better than Sylvan Tutor since it is an instant.

Another good token producer is Rampaging Baloths

Elvish Archdruid is probably worth a spot with all the elves you have.

As for cuts some cards to consider are:
Guardian of Vitu-Ghazi is just a 4/7 vigilance. Even if you play 2 creatures per turn a 4th turn 4/7 vigilance isn't very impressive.
Emmara Tandris is on theme but she's just so overcosted. Most of the time tokens die to board wipes or Detention Sphere/Maelstrom Pulse and the like which she doesn't stop. Shes helps in combat but something that gives your creatures a boost will likely do more.
Your few infect creatures and Flourishing Defenses are neat but without ways to tutor for them you are not likely to have them in play at the same time.

If you need more card draw some options are Greater Good, Garruk's Packleader.

Lastly, some other options for the dual lands that enter tapped are Brushland, Horizon Canopy and Wooded Bastion

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-11 9:35 am 

I just noticed you were missing something... Token Doublers!

Parallel Lives, Doubling Season and Primal Vigor.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-11 10:28 am 

I thought the card's color identity was based upon any mana symbols. Any effect causes it to be considered as another color?

With Tolsimir, does the token abide by legendary rules?

So currently I should drop: Emmara Tandris, Glistener Elf, Viridian Corrupter, Guardian of Vitu-Ghazi. rot wolf, timber wolves, timberpack wolves, sylvan tutor, flourishing defenses

and replace with elvish archdruid, wordly tutor, tolsimir wolfblood, Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite, spear of heliod, primal vigor, collective blessing and doubling season?

How should I include the other land suggestions in as well?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-11 11:57 am 

Fortunaerota wrote:
I thought the card's color identity was based upon any mana symbols. Any effect causes it to be considered as another color?

Color identity is based on any mana symbols or color indicators. So Kobolds of Kher Keep is red CI (because of the red color indicator), Ghost Flame is red CI because of the mana symbol, Illuminate is red and blue CI because of mana symbols, etc.

Cursed Garruk has g/b on its back, so it is black, unfortunately.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-11 4:18 pm 

Fortunaerota wrote:
How should I include the other land suggestions in as well?

It usually works best to play the deck a few times and see which cards don't perform well. 32 lands it a little low though. I would suggest running anywhere from 35-40 depending on your mana curve. Some people play less though so its really preference. Having cards you can't cast is usually less fun than having a few extra lands.

I would say try cutting Darkthicket Wolf and Ulvenwald Bear for 2 more lands and cutting Selesnya Guildgate, Graypelt Refuge, and Karoo for Wooded Bastion, Brushland and Windswepth Heat then Stirring Wildwood and Horizon Canopy in place of the creatures. These lands should let you get your low cost creatures into play faster since most of them don't enter tapped. The scry land and man land (Temple of Plenty and Stirring Wildwood) are good because even though they enter tapped they both mana fix and give you another ability.

Then try your deck and see how the mana base works. After a few games you should be able to tell if you need more or less mana. Also, you might want to keep track of what you take out in case you don't one of the cards you bring in so you can change it back.

Ultimately it's more important that you like the cards in the deck than how powerful they are. Commander is all about playing fun cards that you like.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-11 10:47 pm 

Fortunaerota wrote:
With Tolsimir, does the token abide by legendary rules?

The token abides by the legendary rule outside of EDH, so yes, it will inside of EDH also.
Tolsimir Rulings wrote:
7/1/2013: The "legend rule" means that creating a second Voja while one is already under your control will result in one of them being put into its owner's graveyard (where it promptly ceases to exist). You choose which of the two remains on the battlefield and which is put into the graveyard.

Offline Profile