Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Aug-25 6:31 am

Post subject: The Reanimation of the Monster: Mimeoplasm
AgePosted: 2014-Apr-19 8:26 pm 

For the first film in this series, see The B Movie Monsters of Animar, for this is the horror movie sequel to that deck.

As the movie begins, a few words appear on the screen to remind the audience of previous events and bring the action to the present: "In the years since the experimental monster named 'Animar' terrorized the city, the scientists and explorers who discovered its hidden location monitored Animar until it's own mutated form tore apart and caused its death. After burning as much of the corpse as they could, a temple (Temple of Deceit, The Amityville Horror) was erected over the location to honor the end of the terror the monster caused.

Except in the eyes of one scientist, who saw the beginning of a new terror..."

This is a deck based around horror movies: horror comedy, black comedy, science fiction horror, action horror, fantasy horror, supernatural horror, thriller horror, slasher horror--oh, the horror! Experience my horror of Magic the Gathering:

A New Search Begins
1. Polluted Delta (The Haunting of Helena)--our film opens with a small ship churning up a dreary waterway
2. Fathom Mage (Carrie)--where our female heroine from the previous movie
3. Captain of the Mists (Sphere)--with the help of the ship's captain
4. Conspiracy (The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street)--they discuss the possibility of a conspiracy surrounding the death of Animar
5. Delver of Secrets (The Fly)--and our heroine provides proof their nightmare isn't over, because another victim of mutation appeared after Animar's death--the creature explained the man who did this crime would never stop, and then died
6. Bad River (Cabin Fever)--upon arriving fully onto the area's river, the captain doubt's the heroine's conclusion about where this evil scientist is hiding
7. Llanowar Dead (White Zombie)--but the female scientist points into the water to reveal a decaying elvish corpse, and the captain begins to believe
8. Ghost Quarter (The Haunted Mansion)--So the pair guides the ship to a port which appears out of the fog, only to discover a seemingly deserted town
9. Deathrite Shaman (Trick or Treat)--until a hooded woman trudges out of nowhere, and offers to help the ship travel safely through the fog if they would allow her passage to the next town upriver
10. Misty Rainforest (The Ruins)--as they continued down the river, a strange jungle came into view through the fog
11. Rampant Growth (The Day of the Triffids)--their hooded guide explained the plants suddenly, rampantly grew up a couple weeks ago
12. Induce Paranoia (The Grudge)--and it caused the local populace to become paranoid until
13. Mulch (The Crawlers)--they began to try turning the forest into mulch
14. Search for Tomorrow (From Dusk Till Dawn)--the hooded figure finished by saying she was looking for a new place to live, away from the fear
15. Farseek (Dark City)--after brief silence, the hooded figure asked where they wanted to be guide, and as if by command
16. Reliquary Tower (Tower of Evil)--a tower could be seen far in the distance, and our heroine points in its direction
17. Underground River (The Cave)--the hooded figure said their would have to take a relatively dangerous path through an underground river
18. Drowned Catacomb (Dark Water)--before they knew it, they dove into the hidden river, bashing against the walls of the cave until they were swept away...and awoke to find themselves in large crypt on the shore of the cave
19. Watery Grave (The Ring)--except one grave in particular caught the eye of the female scientist: the desolated remnants of Animar's grave
20. Vivid Marsh (Creature from the Black Lagoon)--which is highlighted against a strange swamp in the background

((hey, if something in this story doesn't make sense, understand I'm making this up on the fly; also, a lot of horror movies have terrible plot holes))

Revelations
21. Evolving Wilds (House)--around the swamped cave, our group explores until their surroundings begin to evolve into more solid ground
22. Command Tower (Nosferatu)--and the base of the tower came into view, for all of them to begin exploring for signs of who is responsible for the desecration of Animar's grave
23. Diabolic Vision (The Shining)--suddenly, the female scientist has an intense vision of a dark volume; therefore, she suggests they should all look for the book
24. Grimoire of the Dead (The Beyond)--and they found it on on a pedestal in the middle of a shadowed room
25. Vorel of the Hull Clade (Surf II)--the older, mad scientist from our previous movie smirks, and calmly interrupts the shocked silence with the words, "Are you going to stop toying with them soon, so we can continue with the experiment?"
26. Phyrexian Infiltrator (Species)--shocked, the captain and female scientist look at each other, and then the hooded figure stepped forward and shed her dark cloak
27. Vela the Night-Clad (Elvira, Mistress of the Dark)--the witch reveals herself to the heroes
28. Beast Within (Cujo)--and they stare in shock as their realize they are in the lair of evil maniacs
29. Alchemist's Refuge (Friday the 13th Part 2)--a refuge far away from anyone or anything which could potentially save them

Horror Movie Monsters
30. Cavern Harpy..............Garuda
31. Coiling Oracle..............Sssssss
32. Creepy Doll..............Bride of Chucky
33. Deep-Sea Kraken..............Leviathan
34. Demonic Torment..............The Exorcist
35. Evil Twin..............Army of Darkness
36. Frankenstein's Monster..............Young Frankenstein
37. Necropolis Regent..............Stay Alive
38. Phyrexian Obliterator..............Alien
39. Reaper of the Wilds..............The Gorgon
40. Skarrg Goliath..............The X from Outer Space
41. Skullclamp..............Hellraiser
42. Stonewood Invocation..............The Cabin in the Woods
43. Sturmgeist..............The Fog
44. Varolz, the Scar-Striped..............The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
45. Vorapede..............The Monster That Challenged the World
46. Vulturous Zombie..............Jeepers Creepers

The Explanation of the Plan
47. Tormod's Crypt (Poltergeist)--the mad scientist began talking about searching for and finding the grave of Animar, intent to bring the creature back to life
48. Forbidden Orchard (Black Forest)--so he dragged what remained of the grave to this place, which used to be a beautiful, secluded orchard blooming with life
49. Breeding Pool (Deep Blue Sea)--and built a make-shift pool in an attempt to reform Animar from dust
50. Desecration Demon (Jennifer's Body)--but it wasn't until inspiration from two demons
51. Shadowborn Demon (Silent Hill)--one of his and the other from a local witch
52. Altar of Shadows (The Shrine)--that the scientist had a revelation no normal science could work, so the demons made a pact with the scientist upon a dark altar
53. Forbidden Alchemy (Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter)--to give the power of forbidden alchemy to the scientist and witch
54. Ludevic's Test Subject (Carnosaur)--to create a hideous lizard which would serve as a life offering to bring Animar back
55. Stitch Together (Human Centipede)--and with the combining of magic and science, the monster lizard and the dead remains of Animar had to be combined
56. Body Snatcher (Invasion of the Body Snatchers)--through the use of a demonic creature, named the Body Snatcher
57. Noxious Revival (From Hell It Came)--and the mad scientist finished by shouting his success, "...and from the ashes of the living creature, I have created...Mimeoplasm!"
58. Rogue's Passage (Fog Island)--immediately the madman turned and ran through a secret corridor to escape
59. The Mimeoplasm (Aliens vs Predator: Requiem)--as the Mimeoplasm, the hideous blob, crept out of the shadows

Trying to Escape
60. Overgrown Tomb (The Mask of Fu Manchu)--the captain quickly grabbed the hand of the female scientist to pull her out of the way of the monster trying to kill them, and dragged her in shock away from the danger and out of what would have been their tomb
61. Grim Backwoods (The Blair Witch Project)--exiting the cave, they came into a dead forest
62. Woodland Cemetery (Pet Sematary)--and suddenly our heroes stop. They're now at the edge of all the failed experiments.
63. Undying Evil (Evil Dead)--and from the look of all the zombies in the cemetery, the evil looked like it just wouldn't die
64. Grim Feast (Cannibal! The Musical)--in fact, a lot of them seemed to be feasting on village folk
65. Veteran Explorer (Monster A Go-Go)--and one ill-fated explorer who followed the wrong hooded figure
66. Lotleth Troll (Destroyer)--some ugly
67. Grimgrin, Corpse-Born (Resident Evil: Apocalypse)--some mutated
68. Jhessian Zombies (Frankenstein Conquers the World)--some slow
69. Army of the Damned (Night of the Living Dead)--okay, so a lot of them
70. Zombie Apocalypse (Dawn of the Dead)--it's...okay, really not looking good now
71. Seek the Horizon (The Langoliers)--we've got to look for a different answer than running

End of the Line
72. Maze of Ith (Nightmare on Elm Street)--it felt like running through a maze of trees trying to find a way out as the zombies stirred to give chase behind the Mimeoplasm and the witch
73. Witch's Mist (The Conjuring)--the witch catches up to our heroes, and finishes casting a spell to create dense fog and cause the heroes to doubt
74. Whispering Madness (Stir of Echoes)--but what we didn't know before is our female scientist is actually a psychic and has been growing in power since our first film, and suddenly catches the sound of the whispers of psychotic murder in the witch's mind from her demons
75. Dominating Licid (The Thing)--or what she thought was demons at first, but is actually a small creature developed by the evil scientist to control her thoughts and powers from long distances away
76. Ovinize (Black Sheep)--so our female hero scientist begins to use her mind to protect them by first causing the creature on the witch's head to turn into a sheep (yeah, it's a stretch, but who else uses this silly card?)
77. Abrupt Decay (The War of the Worlds)--which caused the abrupt loss of zombie movement...but didn't stop the Mimeoplasm
78. Putrefy (The Incredible Melting Man)--as the blob/lizard monster lumbered through the undergrowth of the forest, narrowly missing the limp body of the witch, our heroine tries to decay the monster with her mind
79. Naturalize (Dogora)--when this fails, she realizes the answer: turn back the clock on the original Animar mutation and make it natural
80. Sever the Bloodline (The Haunting)--which causes the whole of the monster to shudder, dissolve into the ground, and hopefully, once and for all, severed the Animar monster bloodline
81. Murder of Crows (The Birds)--our heroes collect themselves after their traumatic experience, and a flock of birds erupt in the background
82. Homeward Path (1408)--as they hold hands and walk into the distance

_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_

Commander:
The Mimeoplasm

Creatures: 32
Body Snatcher
Captain of the Mists
Cavern Harpy
Coiling Oracle
Creepy Doll
Deathrite Shaman
Deep-Sea Kraken
Delver of Secrets
Desecration Demon
Dominating Licid
Evil Twin
Fathom Mage
Frankenstein's Monster
Grimgrin, Corpse-Born
Jhessian Zombies
Llanowar Dead
Lotleth Troll
Ludevic's Test Subject
Murder of Crows
Necropolis Regent
Phyrexian Infiltrator
Phyrexian Obliterator
Reaper of the Wilds
Shadowborn Demon
Skarrg Goliath
Sturmgeist
Varolz, the Scar-Striped
Vela the Night-Clad
Veteran Explorer
Vorapede
Vorel of the Hull Clade
Vulturous Zombie

Enchantments: 4
Conspiracy
Demonic Torment
Grim Feast
Witch's Mist

Artifacts: 4
Altar of Shadows
Grimoire of the Dead
Skullclamp
Tormod's Crypt

Instants/Sorceries: 21
Abrupt Decay
Army of the Damned
Beast Within
Diabolic Vision
Farseek
Forbidden Alchemy
Induce Paranoia
Putrefy
Mulch
Naturalize
Noxious Revival
Ovinize
Rampant Growth
Search for Tomorrow
Seek the Horizon
Sever the Bloodline
Stitch Together
Stonewood Invocation
Undying Evil
Whispering Madness
Zombie Apocalypse

Lands: 38
Alchemist's Refuge
Bad River
Breeding Pool
Command Tower
Drowned Catacomb
Evolving Wilds
Forbidden Orchard
Ghost Quarter
Grim Backwoods
Homeward Path
Maze of Ith
Misty Rainforest
Overgrown Tomb
Polluted Delta
Reliquary Tower
Rogue's Passage
Temple of Deceit
Underground River
Vivid Marsh
Watery Grave
Woodland Cemetery

5 x Forest
5 x Island
7 x Swamp

Some comments:

1) OKAY! Lots of stuff going on here. If you aren't up to speed, I highly recommend looking at the Animar list referenced at the top of the page. Basically, each card represents a movie--all of them in different ways. Some card references are linked to the movie's monsters, heroes, environments, or just a feeling I had about the movie. They aren't all perfect, but they are probably ***just*** close enough. After the cards reference a movie, I put them into a logical order to create some kind of wacky movie. It probably only makes sense in my head, so don't judge.

lol

Finally, the cards in the deck also have to actually work in the deck. Putting Chimney Imp just because it randomly...is there a movie for that? Crap...

2) I have a feeling there's going to be some iconic movies I've missed. Some horror movie really touched your heart, and you're astonished I haven't listed it. Well, it's going to happen. There are 83 different movies on here, and I almost got away with not re-using movies from the Animar list. It wasn't easy to get that many connections; however, please let me know if you think a movie needs to be on here. We can try to work it into the deck, so just let me know. I really am open to ideas, despite being crazy enough to make the list.

3) Have fun with it! If anything, discuss what actually defines horror! I have all different kinds of horror films on here. Thanks for reading!

4) I am still messing with the format of this so it is easier on the eyes. Bear with me, if that's a problem for you.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: The Reanimation of the Monster: Mimeoplasm
AgePosted: 2014-Apr-24 1:47 am 

There's one card that that I'd try in a Mimeoplasm self mill deck (which this deck isn't) and that's Spider Spawning. I thinkit fits somewhere in a scene where the hero is searching for the monster nster or is trying to escape. It's beginning to sound a bit like Indiana Jones though. Along the way you'd encounter other perils like Archive Trap and Cobra Trap.

Actually, I like the Indy idea for a theme deck of my own. It should have allies (because you're fighting nazi's, obviously... great if there's some annoying rulesmongerer or Uber Spike you want to insult) but especially traps, so I can shout IT'S A TRAP!

Anyway, back to your deck: I think the traps might fit thematically, and I guess there's some utility in that category that would increase playability.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-24 5:06 am 

Shabbaman wrote:
There's one card that that I'd try in a Mimeoplasm self mill deck (which this deck isn't) and that's Spider Spawning. I thinkit fits somewhere in a scene where the hero is searching for the monster nster or is trying to escape. It's beginning to sound a bit like Indiana Jones though. Along the way you'd encounter other perils like Archive Trap and Cobra Trap.

Actually, I like the Indy idea for a theme deck of my own. It should have allies (because you're fighting nazi's, obviously... great if there's some annoying rulesmongerer or Uber Spike you want to insult) but especially traps, so I can shout IT'S A TRAP!

Anyway, back to your deck: I think the traps might fit thematically, and I guess there's some utility in that category that would increase playability.

If this was a self mill Mimeoplasm deck, I might tend to agree with you. There's only a one real card in the deck which mills (Forbidden Alchemy), although there are some discard outlets in Murder of Crows and Grimoire of the Dead. So I don't know if Spider Spawning would really fit too well.

As far as traps in general go and with the way this deck is built, I could really only see myself playing Mindbreak Trap or Nemesis Trap. Archive Trap only mills opponents, and while this isn't entirely a bad thing I don't know if it will be enough without other mill cards to increase redundancy in the deck--this isn't exactly a mill-based deck at all, as currently built. Summoning Trap isn't any use to me because I don't have any enough big creature density in my deck to always guarantee I'll hit at least one fatty. Ravenous Trap, a fairly decent graveyard hoser, really goes against the whole Mimeoplasm plan. All the rest I wouldn't write home about.

I could probably switch Diabolic Vision for Mindbreak Trap without disturbing the movie or really the current storyline place, Diabolic Vision just seemed to fit so well. I can't think of any other particularly good spots for that one. Nemesis Trap doesn't currently inspire any changes, but I'll continue to think about it.

An Indiana Jones theme deck would be cool. Good luck in making it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-28 9:56 am 

I think the next step for this deck is actually getting more draw cards into it. I don't believe there's enough. While picking out cards I had been careful to try including as much ramp as I felt comfortable with, but in the process I think I forgot about plain card draw. I'm really digging Null Profusion for a spot, but I'm still looking for where. Necropotence is a possibility, since I'm much more likely to see creatures get destroyed rather than discarded. Phyrexian Arena seems nice and all, but I think it'll be hard to fit into the story. There are some draw creatures I could consider, but I think harder draw will allow for more consistency--there's plenty of creatures in the deck, so I don't think I need to push this to be another creature.

A movie I should really consider getting in here is The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra (although it could probably work in the Animar deck too). I watched it over the weekend, and it's hilarious!

Also, if people didn't know, The Cabin in the Woods (the movie for Stonewood Invocation), is one of the only movies--if not the only movie--to feature a person getting impaled by a unicorn.
BEWARE OF UNICORNS!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-12 2:32 am 

In an attempt to get more draw effects into this deck, also just adding new cards:

-Reaper of the Wilds-->The Gorgon
+Damia, Sage of Stone-->(same movie)

-Grim Feast-->Cannibal! The Musical
+Realm Seekers-->(same movie)

-Putrefy-->The Incredible Melting Man
+Reign of the Pit-->Drag Me To Hell

-Cavern Harpy-->Garuda
+Coercive Portal-->Mirrors***
or
+Deathreap Ritual-->The Wicker Man

I feel like the Portal would be good for giving me more removal, but I'm cautious to put it in when there's a good chance it'll backfire. Then again, there's really no guarantee this deck will be able to consistently draw cards from Deathreap. Maybe Underworld Connections? I don't have an extra Phyrexian Arena, so that's out.

***Note: Mirror of Fate would be perfect here, but I'm not out to screw myself over with a *really* terrible card. The Portal is close enough for my purposes.

Offline Profile