Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-20 8:30 am

Post subject: Xenagos, God of Revels (with vids!)
AgePosted: 2014-Apr-14 10:00 am 

Check it out, fun with Xenagos!

Commander
1 Xenagos, God of Revels

Creatures (30)
1 Archetype of Aggression
1 Balefire Dragon
1 Bloodshot Cyclops
1 Boartusk Liege
1 Chameleon Colossus
1 Deus of Calamity
1 Dragon Tyrant
1 Dragonmaster Outcast
1 Drumhunter
1 Duplicant
1 Elvish Piper
1 Eternal Witness
1 Genesis
1 Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
1 Malignus
1 Ogre Battledriver
1 Oracle of Mul Daya
1 Putrefax
1 Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary
1 Sakura-Tribe Elder
1 Scavenging Ooze
1 Stalking Vengeance
1 Ulvenwald Tracker
1 Urabrask the Hidden
1 Vorapede
1 Wilderness Elemental
1 Wood Elves
1 Worldspine Wurm
1 Yavimaya Elder
1 Nylea, God of the Hunt

Artifacts (6)
1 Grim Monolith
1 Mana Crypt
1 Mana Vault
1 Oblivion Stone
1 Sol Ring
1 Mage Slayer

Enchantments (5)
1 Aggravated Assault
1 Greater Good
1 Sneak Attack
1 Survival of the Fittest
1 Sylvan Library

Instants (9)
1 Beast Within
1 Chaos Warp
1 Deglamer
1 Hunter's Insight
1 Momentous Fall
1 Nature's Claim
1 Savage Beating
1 Soul's Fire
1 Unravel the AEther

Planeswalkers (2)
1 Garruk, Caller of Beasts
1 Xenagos, the Reveler

Sorceries (9)
1 Hull Breach
1 Hunter's Prowess
1 Natural Order
1 Nature's Lore
1 Relentless Assault
1 Three Visits
1 Tooth and Nail
1 Vandalblast
1 Wheel of Fortune

Lands (38)
1 Ancient Tomb
1 Arid Mesa
1 Bloodstained Mire
1 Diamond Valley
1 Fire-Lit Thicket
11 Forest
1 Gruul Turf
1 Kessig Wolf Run
1 Misty Rainforest
1 Mosswort Bridge
7 Mountain
1 Reliquary Tower
1 Scalding Tarn
1 Skarrg, the Rage Pits
1 Spinerock Knoll
1 Stomping Ground
1 Strip Mine
1 Taiga
1 Tectonic Edge
1 Verdant Catacombs
1 Windswept Heath
1 Wooded Foothills

Sneaking stuff into play and dealing massive amounts of damage. To see the deck in action, go here: http://puremtgo.com/articles/conqueror- ... god-revels

Comments or questions, let me know!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Xenagos, God of Revels (with vids!)
AgePosted: 2014-Apr-19 3:42 am 

Bloodshot Cyclops is saucy. I can't believe I overlooked this card myself despite glancing over it several times...

I think you could cut Boartusk Liege easily. You have 3 R/G creatures including Xenagos himself and +1/+1 to everything else is pretty darn average. Devotion is not a good reason to keep him either :P.

Never personally been a fan of Dragonmaster Outcast myself or Drumhunter. Being fragile and conditional is my issue with them. If I were going for replacements I'd consider Dragon Roost for its ability to tap 7 and slam 10/10 hastey flying Wrath resistant dragons at people's faces on demand... (Roost is another card I wish I could find room for...). For draw, I'd prefer Garruk, Primal Speaker or really anything less vulnerable and conditional really (I don't like my draw being both is the main issue I have with Drumhunter).

Mage Slayer + Wilderness Elemental are two cards I again wish I could find room for in my list...

I know the point of Sneak Attack, but is this the right list for it? Xenagos provides half of its effect and the other half I suppose is worth it... Just a thought. Totally awesome card but feels semi out of place (ish?). Dunno.

I can totally see your list favors speed over my own, which as you know favors control. In my case, I went the control route simply because going the speed route creates a arm race in my meta, and I didn't want to go down that rabbit hole.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-21 8:18 am 

The Cyclops has been ok. Nothing extraordinary but he does come in handy. Mage Slayer and Wilderness Elemental have been great though.

You're right about Boartusk, he can easily be pulled. I initially liked the idea of getting Xenagos active and attacking, but in reality that was far from necessary.

I've noticed a lot of people don't like the Dragonmaster Outcast, but I've been a fan for a while. Typically his drawback is that you have to wait 2 turns to be able to attack with a dragon (Turn 1 cast Outcast, turn 2 get dragon, turn 3 attack) but with Xenagos the dragon you get is not only hastey, but large. For the investment of 1 mana you get a free dragon every turn. The good thing about his fragility is that people tend to underestimate him. He's especially good because he requires no additional resources, and at worst you get a large flying blocker (ok, at worst you only have 4 lands, but with the ramp you should usually be fine). I'm just saying that he's worth a shot, and has been great for me in a lot of my Red decks, but better than that in this one.

Drumhunter isn't the best, but generally he does draw me a card a turn in this deck, and he can tap for mana. I think because my version of the deck is more aggressive, he does better here than he might for you.

You're right, Primal Hunter should honestly be in the list, but I was worried about the curve and having too many Garruks. But I bet taking out Boartusk for him would work well.

Sneak Attack has been amazing in this version. If you watch the vids, you will see that a few of the wins were based on this card. Worldspine Wurm loves being sneaky.

Thanks for looking man.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-21 10:30 am 

Have you thought of either Timbermare or Thundermare (probably only one of them) as a way to completely clear the board of blockers EOT via Sneak Attack?

Another card I feel apprehensive about it Tooth and Nail: it is obviously very powerful, but I feel like this deck would rather have another creature. I don't know whether or not I'm correct, but there's certainly some more heavy hitters you could include if you wanted to. Vigor comes to mind as a possibility.

EDIT: I've also had a lot of success with Giant Adephage in various R/G decks I have, which seems even better with Sneak Attack.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-22 11:39 am 

I think you could replace Relentless Assault with World at War. It only cost 1 more to cast and it has rebound, so twice the spell for only 1 more to cast.

Omnath, Locus of Mana - Ramp/Stomp
Skullbriar, the Walking Grave - Scavenge/Counters
Animar, Soul of Elements - Primal Surge

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-22 1:21 pm 

The 2 'Mares are pretty interesting, but I'm not entirely sure they're necessary. Most of the time I'm sending an extremely large trampling creature after people, and it doesn't really matter what blockers they have. If they have enough tokens to deal with the 30/30 Worldspine Wurm coming their way, they probably were gonna win anyways. I'm not a huge fan of the fact that they both tap down my own dudes, as there are times when I attack with more than one creature.

Tooth and Nail usually grabs an answer (ie., Duplicant) and fat (one of the numerous creatures here). It has been pretty handy most of the time. Giant Adephage is a good suggestion that just barely didn't make the list. If I was considering taking out TnN for a creature, the Adephage would be it.

As for Relentless Assault v. World at War, this was something I was debating myself. One the one hand, Assault is cheaper. On the other, War is essentially "free" the second turn. I have used War in the past, and I'm always sad when someone Wraths in between the 2 turns. Admittedly the few times that I've drawn Assault I've won with it, but War may be better. This is something that needs further play testing I think.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-22 6:57 pm 

Kiki-jiki, mirror breaker and zealous conscripts is good enough to tooth and nail up if you feel it won't be stopped. Plus, they're solid on their own. Decimate is another strong card in multiplayer, plenty of targets to find for it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-22 10:41 pm 

Seck wrote:
Kiki-jiki, mirror breaker and zealous conscripts is good enough to tooth and nail up if you feel it won't be stopped. Plus, they're solid on their own. Decimate is another strong card in multiplayer, plenty of targets to find for it.

That would because its an infinite.... not so much being "solid"

Omnath, Locus of Mana - Ramp/Stomp
Skullbriar, the Walking Grave - Scavenge/Counters
Animar, Soul of Elements - Primal Surge

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-23 4:36 am 

Tarasco wrote:
The 2 'Mares are pretty interesting, but I'm not entirely sure they're necessary. Most of the time I'm sending an extremely large trampling creature after people, and it doesn't really matter what blockers they have. If they have enough tokens to deal with the 30/30 Worldspine Wurm coming their way, they probably were gonna win anyways. I'm not a huge fan of the fact that they both tap down my own dudes, as there are times when I attack with more than one creature.

Tooth and Nail usually grabs an answer (ie., Duplicant) and fat (one of the numerous creatures here). It has been pretty handy most of the time. Giant Adephage is a good suggestion that just barely didn't make the list. If I was considering taking out TnN for a creature, the Adephage would be it.

I thought the 'Mares would at least be a crazy *possible* idea, since Sneak Attacking them at the end of the opponent's turn who takes their turn before you, would open everyone up to attack. Of course, the caveat is getting and keeping Sneak Attack out. Maybe these will be cards for people who want to make cute versions of it.

Say...I just noticed: you're not playing Berserk--any reason why not? Sometimes it will be just win-more, but I would think in some cases you'll be able to really hurt someone unsuspecting.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-23 8:48 am 

Segrus wrote:
Say...I just noticed: you're not playing Berserk--any reason why not? Sometimes it will be just win-more, but I would think in some cases you'll be able to really hurt someone unsuspecting.

Oooh wow, can't believe that I missed Berserk, that sounds pretty sweet. I gotta figure out a way to squeeze that in.

As for Tooth and Nail into Kiki/Conscripts, I try to avoid infinites in my decks. If your meta is more competitive, I would say go for it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-23 11:52 am 

Tarasco wrote:
Segrus wrote:

Oooh wow, can't believe that I missed Berserk, that sounds pretty sweet. I gotta figure out a way to squeeze that in.

You queried trying to find room for Berserk in my list! :P

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-23 4:06 pm 

GoodbyeWorld wrote:
You queried trying to find room for Berserk in my list! :P

Haha, yeah, I'm a dope :roll:

Offline Profile