Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-23 5:50 am

Post subject: The B-Movie Monsters of Animar
AgePosted: 2014-Apr-01 7:23 pm 

THIS MOVIE HAS A SEQUEL!
In a small town near the decaying corpse of Animar, an insane scientist utilizes the powers of a local creature, known as the Body Snatcher, to reanimate the horrid monstrosity known as Animar...

...and he is going to call it...

...The Mimeoplasm!!!!

Brought to you by an audience demanding MORE horrible horror movies! Stay tuned for the thriller "Animar vs. The Mimeoplasm!"

The Reanimation of the Monster: Mimeoplasm

As the black screen recedes, we see a series of scenes filled with terrible acting, a lackluster plot, and probably poor graphics--all of which coincide with the hilariously wonderful genre of B-movie monsters. Sometimes we are delighted with the poor voice-overs, and other times we laugh at the toy figurines demolishing a cardboard city. This is my movie, or at least my attempt at one.

Our Evil Scientists
((every bad movie opens with a completely irrelevant nature scene, so I randomly determined ours will open with a vivid creek, followed by a vivid grove))
1. Vorel of the Hull Clade--biologist and humanitarian from the Simic Growth Chamber until he, with the help of two colleagues, constructed a terrible monster capable of leveling cities
2. Master Biomancer--another biologist and one of the colleagues of Vorel; too bad his ambition and pride helped push the envelope on biological advancement
3. Mercurial Chemist--without the help of the crazy chemist, born of the Izzet Boilerworks, none of this would have happened
4. Bioshift--the experiments started small, a little-known Breeding Pool at the back of some Steam Vents, but...
5. Dragonshift--...they rapidly grew out of control and effected many innocents in the city
6. Long-Term Plans--three of them together set out to do the impossible with their new-found knowledge, and some mysterious minerals from the Gemstone Mines
7. Possibility Storm--...because the possibilities seemed endless; however, even the best of intentions can produce horrific consequences (like skulls flying around your head)
8. Forgotten Ancient--All it can take is a single specimen from the right family of ancient creatures to cause...
9. Evolution Vat--...everything to go awry, their machine creating a monster who escapes from the mad scientists through a vivid crag caused by some Gruul upsets, and from there the mountains outside the city.

Experiment Gone Wrong
10. Ruric Thar: ...........................The Incredible 2-Headed Transplant
11. Thrun, the Last Troll: ...............Trollhunter
12. Mistcutter Hydra: ....................The Mist
13. Voidslime: ...........................The Stuff
14. Giant Shark: .........................Snarknado
15. Body Double: ........................From Hell It Came
16. Garruk, Caller of Beasts: ...........The Most Dangerous Game
17. Detritivore: .........................Alone in the Dark
18. Bane of Progress: ...................Grabbers
19. Lorthos, the Tidemaker: ...............Tentacles
20. Force of Nature: ...................Swamp Thing
21. Arbor Colossus: ..................The Amazing Colossal Man
22. Tromokratis: .....................Gamera
23. Scrabbling Claws: .................The Crawling Hand
24. Silklash Spider: ...................Horrors of Spider Island
25. Hateflayer: .....................Snakes on a Train
26. Colossus of Akros: ................Daimajin
27. Altered Ego: .....................Attack of the 50 Foot Woman
28. Burnished Hart: ..................Bambi Meets Godzilla
29. Horned Kavu: ....................A Sound of Thunder
30. Trygon Predator: .................Q
31. Ancient Ooze: ...................The Blob
32. Explosive Vegetation: ..............Attack of the Killer Tomatoes
33. Valley Rannet: ..................Chaw
34. Engulfing Slagwurm: .............Tremors
35. Stalking Vengeance: .............The Angry Red Planet
36. Deadbridge Goliath: .............Caved In: Prehistoric Terror

Discovery of the Impossible
((as the last scene closes, the mountain scene begins evolving into a forest scene))
37. Ulvenwald Mysteries: it begins with mysterious disapperances at a remote Ancient Ziggurat
38. Vexing Shusher--the harbinger warns them of impending doom
39. Harabaz Druid--our group of adventurers go to the relic innocently, hoping to find the temple in an Undiscovered Paradise
40. Tuktuk Scrapper--you gotta have someone run point man
41. Sea Gate Loremaster--the explorer holding the map
42. Beastcaller Savant--an unnamed explorer who is after the treasure
43. Ongoing Investigation--without a doubt they find more obvious evidence the closer they get to the monster
44. Death's Presence--suddenly the monster makes itself known in the terramorphic expanse to the explorers (off screen, of course) and slays them all without prejudice, the former helper's morality seemingly gone

The Heroes
45. Hua Tuo, Honored Physician--.................Resident Evil: Apocalypse: Far away from the explorer's death, a brilliant doctor
46. Edric, Spymaster of Trest--with the help of a secretive government official
47. Fathom Mage--and a female scientist heart-throb
48. Rancor--seek to find a way to stop the rage of the monster
49. Tireless Tracker--joining them is a furious good friend of one of the expired explorers, intent on the utter destruction of the monster--and probably in love with the female scientist (and probably furious because he's been given a weird backstory about being from Skarrg, the Rage Pits with doesn't connect to anything else in the story and never mentioned again)

Anything To Stop the Destruction
50. Plasm Capture--.................Ghostbusters II: at first, they try capturing the monster near the Gruul turf outside the city
51. Zameck Guildmage--but this just results in the death of one of the good scientists (who no one really knows the name of)
52. Dragon Wings--as the monster mutates further
53. All is Dust--causing the monster to destroy everything it can get its hands on
54. Sakura-Tribe Elder--an old man warns our heroes about the dangers of messing with nature, in an attempt to dissuade them from considering the advice of the government
55. Oblivion Stone--the military steps in at the behest of the secret agency government official, and they fail to destroy the monster
56. Wild Ricochet--due to their device deflecting off of the powerful animal-like hide of the monster
57. Brainstorm--therefore our heroes attempt to make a last minute brainstorming session to find the answer to the monster
58. Shamanic Revelation--with the help of a drug-induced prophetic dream, the monster is found again in a remote location (an island) well away from the city
59. Lux Cannon--where a powerful laser cannon can hopefully fend off the monster
60. Sylvan Ranger--except at the last second, a small elf
61. Quirion Elves--and a young friend are seen near the monster
62. Animar, Soul of Elements--our monster is serenely playing with them, disarmed by their innocence, and no longer a threat to the world.

_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_
_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_=_

Commander: 1
Animar, Soul of Elements
Creatures: 40
Ancient Ooze
Arbor Colossus
Bloodbraid Elf
Body Double
Burnished Hart
Colossus of Akros
Deadbridge Goliath
Edric, Spymaster of Trest
Engulfing Slagwurm
Fathom Mage
Force of Nature
Harabaz Druid
Hateflayer
Horned Kavu
Hua Tuo, Honored Physician
Kiora's Follower
Lorthos, the Tidemaker
Master Biomancer
Mercurial Chemist
Mistcutter Hydra
Polukranos, World Eater
Quirion Elves
Ruric Thar, the Unbowed
Sages of the Anima
Sakura-Tribe Elder
Sea Gate Loremaster
Silklash Spider
Species Gorger
Stalking Vengeance
Sylvan Ranger
Tajuru Archer
Thrun, the Last Troll
Tromokratis
Trygon Predator
Tuktuk Scrapper
Valley Rannet
Vexing Shusher
Vorel of the Hull Clade
Xantid Swarm
Zameck Guildmage

Planeswalkers: 2
Domri Rade
Garruk, Caller of Beasts

Artifacts: 5
Evolution Vat
Lux Cannon
Oblivion Stone
Relic of Progenitus
Scrabbling Claws

Enchantments: 4
Death's Presence
Dragon Wings
Possibility Storm
Rancor

Instants/Sorceries: 10
All is Dust
Bioshift
Brainstorm
Dragonshift
Explosive Vegetation
Long-Term Plans
Plasm Capture
Shared Discovery
Voidslime
Wild Ricochet

Lands: 38
Ancient Ziggurat
Breeding Pool
Evolving Wilds
Gemstone Mine
Gruul Turf
Izzet Boilerworks
Simic Growth Chamber
Skarrg, the Rage Pits
Steam Vents
Stomping Ground
Terramorphic Expanse
Undiscovered Paradise
Vivid Crag
Vivid Creek
Vivid Grove

10 x Forest
7 x Island
6 x Mountain

Some thoughts:
1. This isn't nearly finished. There are definitely some lackluster cards, and probably some combinations which won't really work at all. For instance, the Ally creatures aren't particularly strong, but I'm hoping their abilities--while relatively small--will be welcome at various points in the game while still granting counters to Animar.

2. Godzilla is barely referenced on this list. This isn't an oversight, it's just I couldn't find a creature to accurately play it. I would really like it to be a Red creature, except all of the big Red creatures are dragons (for the most part) and all of these dragons have wings. There are probably other big name monsters I'm missing, so if you think there's one I should have then just comment and let me know.

3. Not all of the movies are quite B-monster movies. Some are horror and some are adventure--I tried to avoid Exorcist, Frankenstein, and Werewolves though. Also zombies. There are also some bigger named movies on the list. All of the choices I've made so far have been to fill in holes with movies I could find. I may know some B-horror/monster movies, but there are obviously a LOT of cards I have to find movies for.

4. There aren't really any combos in this deck. I don't want this to be a typical Animar deck, even though there are a lot of solid, typical Animar deck choices here. Cards which fit the theme are the only cards going into the deck.

5. I don't have lands figured out yet, but I wanted to get this out before I lost my focus.

6. There are so many more cards I'd like to put into this deck, but I'm still working on getting them in: Experiment Kraj, Krosan Cloudscraper (because a four-armed 10-story tall mutant isn't represented in Godzilla movies), Terastodon, Counterflux, Wiitigo, Soul of the Harvest, and many others...

7. I don't know how many monster movies I should reference, so I just kept going until I couldn't think of any more random connections. Honestly, 60 non-land cards probably isn't a good number for this deck, so there are at least two floating places I should consider filling (which is why the lands haven't been entirely decided upon yet).

8. Enjoy! I cannot wait to hear what people think.

EDIT: Added the 'movie credits' to help deck construction purposes. Also added Evolution Vat and Dragon Wings. 4/2/2014
EDIT2: Added poster for sequel movie, "The Rebirth of the Monster Animar." 4/8/2014
EDIT3: Exchanged Silvos, Rogue Elemental for Hateflayer, because I can't get over how there's a Snakes on a Train movie. Also, after some consideration, changed Stalking Vengeance to The Angry Red Planet instead of Brotherhood of the Wolf. 4/9/2014
EDIT4: Exchanged Budoka Gardener/Little Shop of Horrors for Explosive Vegetation/Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. 4/10/2014
EDIT5: Added lands. 4/13/2014
EDIT6: Changed Body Double movie, and removed Species Gorger for Giant Shark, Relic of Prog for Ulvenwald Mysteries, and Shared Discovery for Ongoing Investigation 4/16/2016
EDIT7: Exchanged Polukranos, Xantid Swarm, Domri Rade, Kiora's Follower, Sages of the Anima, Bloodbraid Elf, and Tajuru Archer for Altered Ego, Bane of Progress, Detritivore, Forgotten Ancient, Shamanic Revelation, Tireless Tracker, and Beastcaller Savant.

Last edited by Segrus on 2016-Dec-11 8:47 am, edited 13 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: The B-Movie Monsters of Animar
AgePosted: 2014-Apr-01 7:38 pm 

Very nicely done :)

"Bambi vs Godzilla" cracks me up :D

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-01 7:54 pm 

Thanks! Oh Lord, I've been working on this all day and yesterday...and a while longer, so I'm very glad for the compliment. I saw "Bambi vs. Godzilla" on some list somewhere, and realized I COULD NOT PASS IT UP. So I found myself a Bambi to get crunched. lol

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-01 7:56 pm 

I will provide more useful commentary when I'm done reading through all those movies. Dear God there's some clangers in there (the movies, not the cards)

"- if this spell is played ten times in a given game then I suggest you warm up the tar and pluck some chickens" - tarnar

The internet's great at making noise, and poor at operating pants. There's gonna be half-dressed mobs screeching half-assed arguments for the rest of the 21st century - Kemev

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-01 8:05 pm 

Viperion wrote:
I will provide more useful commentary when I'm done reading through all those movies. Dear God there's some clangers in there (the movies, not the cards)

Yeah, some of those movies are...quite terrible. I haven't watched all of them, but I'm hoping to find all of them on Netflix. I've seen The Mist, The Stuff, Slither, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The Most Dangerous Game, Gamera, Horrors of Spider Island, parts of Jason and the Argonauts, A Sound of Thunder, The Blob, The Little Shop of Horrors, Tremors, Brotherhood of the Wolf, Resident Evil: Apocalypse, and Ghostbusters II. I already know I can find Trollhunter on Nexflix, but I haven't exactly looked for the others yet.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-01 8:44 pm 

Note: Little Shop of Horrors was by no means a "B" Movie. It had a pretty awesome cast (Rick Moranis, Bill Murray, Steve Martin, John Candy, Vincent Gardenia, and blues singer Levi Stubs) a high-budget special effects crew, and had tons of work in the music department (Alan Menken and Howard Ashman were EPIC score-writers, both of whom were instrumental in he writing of some really famous movies, most famously a lot of Disney animated movies).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-01 9:08 pm 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
Note: Little Shop of Horrors was by no means a "B" Movie. It had a pretty awesome cast (Rick Moranis, Bill Murray, Steve Martin, John Candy, Vincent Gardenia, and blues singer Levi Stubs) a high-budget special effects crew, and had tons of work in the music department (Alan Menken and Howard Ashman were EPIC score-writers, both of whom were instrumental in he writing of some really famous movies, most famously a lot of Disney animated movies).

Oh, I'm very well aware of this. I'll quote the relevant note:
Segrus wrote:
3. Not all of the movies are quite B-monster movies. Some are horror and some are adventure--I tried to avoid Exorcist, Frankenstein, and Werewolves though. Also zombies. There are also some bigger named movies on the list. All of the choices I've made so far have been to fill in holes with movies I could find. I may know some B-horror/monster movies, but there are obviously a LOT of cards I have to find movies for.

In the case of Little Shop of Horror (which I absolutely adore), I knew the movie offhand and the card fits (more or less). I wanted to get a plant monster into the deck, and I had considered Axebane Guardian for The Ruins; however, Budoku Gardener gives me the ability to ramp harder onto the board by effectively continuing to have an impact even after it dies (unless it dies before I untap with it). If you have another suggestion of a way to ramp and have some kind of plant monster linked to a B-movie, I'm all ears.

Little Shop of Horrors isn't the only one on the list which isn't really a 'B' movie: Brotherhood of the Wolf is a quite popular French film; Slither and Invasion of the Body Snatchers also rank pretty high in critical reviews. I spent a lot of time looking up movies and trying to connect them with cards while still producing some kind of storyline told through the cards--even further, still having the deck be reasonably playable. Again, I'd be really happy to hear suggestions of replacements, as I'm fairly brain fried on this deck currently.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-02 1:24 am 

Nice one. I can't look into the list in detail now, but I would like to pitch Dragon Wings, Dragon Breath et al. once again. I think mutating your monsters certainly fit the theme.

The first Godzilla that came to mind was Krosan Cloudscraper.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-02 5:22 am 

Shabbaman wrote:
Nice one. I can't look into the list in detail now, but I would like to pitch Dragon Wings, Dragon Breath et al. once again. I think mutating your monsters certainly fit the theme.

The first Godzilla that came to mind was Krosan Cloudscraper.

Krosan Cloudscraper just doesn't look Godzilla enough: Cloudscraper doesn't hint at nuclear fire-breathing; Godzilla doesn't have four arms; and Cloudscraper doesn't look reptilian enough.

When did you pitch the idea of Dragon Wings/Breath/etc. for this deck before now? :wink:

I have a couple spots open for possibly a couple of these, so the question becomes: 1) where does it fit into the story; 2) does it help the strategy of the deck? I think there's some room for the monster mutating, maybe after exposure to the military's weapon, so that isn't too big of a problem. Helping creatures get damage in is probably a good thing, so Dragon Wings and Dragon Fangs are probably going to be the best options. Then again, Wonder would probably fit in just as well with the theme and do triple the amount of work as Dragon Wings while still having the same downfall (that is, being vulnerable to graveyard removal). Although, Wonder is sort of a staple for any deck running Blue...

Tough call.

EDIT: Also, thanks for the appreciation for the deck. It's a work in progress.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-02 6:40 am 

In no way I intended to claim any involvement with your deck prior to my previous post, but I am just a noble knight on a quest to increase appreciation of the Dragon aura cycle.

How does it fit thematically? Every B-Movie should have a sequel, and is there any better sequel than one where the monster comes back... mutated? (Obviously the answer is "yes", but if it is better we wouldn't be talking about a B-Movie anymore).

Does is make the deck better? I think haste and evasion are relevant abilities. Besides that, these cards recur themselves... for free. I would run the red one. The blue one is nice because it cycles.

So what about Kavu Titan? It's mutating... Perhaps Kavu Predator is better in this format. I can imagine it can get pretty big.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-02 6:50 am 

Speaking of stuff coming back mutated, maybe putting Dark Mike and Cauldron of Souls in wouldn't be a bad idea. Heck, Cauldron specifically is able to to that shit to your opponents. As for a movie reference, I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for exactly, but they could be the Horned King and the Black Cauldron from The Black Cauldron.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-02 7:09 am 

Evolution Vat , that is all.

Omnath, Locus of Mana - Ramp/Stomp
Skullbriar, the Walking Grave - Scavenge/Counters
Animar, Soul of Elements - Primal Surge

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-02 7:13 am 

Uktabi_Kong wrote:
Speaking of stuff coming back mutated, maybe putting Dark Mike and Cauldron of Souls in wouldn't be a bad idea. Heck, Cauldron specifically is able to to that shit to your opponents. As for a movie reference, I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for exactly, but they could be the Horned King and the Black Cauldron from The Black Cauldron.

Animar is the general/commander for the deck, so Dark Mike is kinda out. Although Trike could technically go in to represent The War of the Worlds. I'm not entirely certain what you're going on about with Cauldron of Souls and my opponent's creatures, but it certainly is a good card. I wouldn't put it in for The Black Cauldron though, mostly because that movie utterly disgusts me. You happened to name the one movie I actually actively hate.

Anyway, maybe an evil relic which is used to revive our horrid movie monster? Hmm...

Shabbaman wrote:
In no way I intended to claim any involvement with your deck prior to my previous post, but I am just a noble knight on a quest to increase appreciation of the Dragon aura cycle.

How does it fit thematically? Every B-Movie should have a sequel, and is there any better sequel than one where the monster comes back... mutated? (Obviously the answer is "yes", but if it is better we wouldn't be talking about a B-Movie anymore).

Does is make the deck better? I think haste and evasion are relevant abilities. Besides that, these cards recur themselves... for free. I would run the red one. The blue one is nice because it cycles.

So what about Kavu Titan? It's mutating... Perhaps Kavu Predator is better in this format. I can imagine it can get pretty big.

I was just kidding with you. :)

I actually pulled out some Kavus with the intention of finding a place for them. Kavu Predator is probably the most likely to get in on the horrible graphics, but I'd still have to find a movie for it. Not every card needs a movie behind it, but all of the monster-like cards really need to have a movie. It wouldn't make sense for a monster (like a Kavu) to be either an evil scientist or a hero.

Kixar wrote:
Evolution Vat, that is all.

Good call! Makes me think of The Fly.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-02 7:33 am 

Segrus wrote:
Good call! Makes me think of The Fly.

Beetleform Mage?

Honestly, the only thing that bugs me about this list is Animar himself - it doesn't feel like he's tied it to it the way everything else is.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-02 7:55 am 

Sid the Chicken wrote:
Honestly, the only thing that bugs me about this list is Animar himself - it doesn't feel like he's tied it to it the way everything else is.

Other than being a terrifyingly enormous monster which can frighten the average Magic player into acting like extra on a Godzilla movie as they scramble around to try to kill it? While also having three colors loaded with other scary monsters?

Okay, so there isn't a lot of tie-in. Then again, a lot of the creatures I've picked out don't necessarily connect entirely either. I suppose what I'm doing is making up my own monster movie with Animar being the monster. All of the other "monsters" I've listed are just cute references--connections between cards and actual film. They don't really fit into my movie, although there's probably a good argument that they should.

What are your thoughts? Do you care to elaborate more?

Offline Profile