Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jul-19 3:13 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Phenax: Grave rats.
AgePosted: 2015-Jun-24 3:33 am 

lol, well thanks! It's a fun one to play too. It's still one of the more versatile decks I've seen as far as win-cons go. I just need to add Mortal Combat and I think I have all the major onces covered.

I haven't had a chance to take it for a spin with Thrumming Stone and Recall. I'll make sure to take it for a spin soon.

Starke of Rath -> Wrath of Starke: MRC

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jul-01 2:36 am 

Whoa.

Thrumming Stone...wow.

This, Gary, and Mogis's Marauder have really cranked this deck's power level up.

Proving Grounds: Drawmia-maro, Titania When Lands Attack, Tromokratis Read it Again, Kaalia's Klerics, Hordes of Tribes.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jul-23 2:57 am 

+Orbs of Warding
-Witchbane Orb

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-25 7:47 am 

Alright, couple questions, because I'm very seriously considering sleeving this bad boy up this week and giving it a spin this weekend...

So first of all, my group has a bit of a gentleman's agreement that we don't do countermagic in EDH. I can probably get by with Stifle/Trickbind (if I even have them, I can't remember if I traded them off a while back or not), as they don't counter SPELLS but I definitely have to replace the Hinder/Crumple/etc. stuff... any particular stuff you'd suggest putting in their place?

Also, have you tried Undead Alchemist yet?

Finally, I think I'd prefer to go with Decree of Pain over In Garruk's Wake, but I'm a whore for drawing cards... thoughts?

EDIT: Also, just noticed Intruder Alarm and that immediately sets off my combo alarms - does this deck go infinite? Or is the Alarm just ridiculously good, but not an actually combo piece? And either way, could I get by without it, because even if it doesn't combo off, my group will likely have the same kneejerk reaction to it I just did...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-25 8:19 am 

thaumaturge wrote:
EDIT: Also, just noticed Intruder Alarm and that immediately sets off my combo alarms - does this deck go infinite? Or is the Alarm just ridiculously good, but not an actually combo piece? And either way, could I get by without it, because even if it doesn't combo off, my group will likely have the same kneejerk reaction to it I just did...

Marrow-Gnawer seems like the only card in the deck that has the ability to go infinite with it, although it needs at least 2 other rats in play otherwise it's just an infinite ETB/death trigger.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-25 9:16 am 

So yes, Marrow-Gnawer does go infinite with Intruder Alarm. Intruder Alarm is really just stupid good with the rest of the deck. I'd dump MG over it.

I took In Garruk's Wake out awhile ago. I need to update the front list. Here's the current one:
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/26-03-15 ... rave-rats/

As for replacing Hinder and Crumple...I've been wanting to try Sphinx of the Chimes. Any other spells that draw sorceries out of the graveyard will be good too. Could put OG Liliana in. Her ultimate fits the theme. Mortal Combat would round out the win cons

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-26 12:21 am 

scatteredsun wrote:
So yes, Marrow-Gnawer does go infinite with Intruder Alarm. Intruder Alarm is really just stupid good with the rest of the deck. I'd dump MG over it.

I took In Garruk's Wake out awhile ago. I need to update the front list. Here's the current one:
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/26-03-15 ... rave-rats/

As for replacing Hinder and Crumple...I've been wanting to try Sphinx of the Chimes. Any other spells that draw sorceries out of the graveyard will be good too. Could put OG Liliana in. Her ultimate fits the theme. Mortal Combat would round out the win cons

Yeah I noticed the list on page 1 wasn't quite up to date but I had no idea how different it might be...

I think Sphix of Chimes might be too cute, but as it stands I am fairly certain I (miraculously) don't own one. It's one of those rares when you see it spoiled you just groan because you just KNOW you're going to open like 17 of them before you've even opened 1 of most other rares. But somehow I dodged that partcular bullet.

It also occurs to me I might not have the volume of Relentless Rats I need for this. I have a lot, I know that, but I'm not sure exactly how many. I will probably start figuring these things out tonight. I was too lazy to sort through stuff last night.

I think if I'm going to include Undead Alchemist I pretty much have to cut Intruder Alarm - it's not guaranteed to combo off, but it COULD, against a creature-heavy deck, Thought against something like Melek it's practically do-nothing.

Anyway, I think I like the idea of running MG and Alchemist more than the Alarm, like I said even if I'm sure I can't go infinite, IA has a reputation and I'm not sure I wouldn't die to the knee-jerk. I'll take a look at the tapped out link and let you know if I have any more thoughts or questions. Thanks!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-26 12:59 am 

hah! I didn't have a Sphinx either. I'm pretty sure I ended up just leaving any I pulled on the table out of spite.

Intruder Alarm, Thrumming Stone, and a binned Grey Merchant or Mogis's Marauder should all cause knee-jerk reactions with this deck :twisted:

I didn't put Undead Alchemist in because I rarely end up milling other players. I'll start whittling down decks if I land a Leyline of the Void but really the quick play is to mill yourself.

One notable exception is the lack of Akroma's Memorial. I keep forgetting toss it in. It'll go in today. I'll probably end up cutting Hinder or Spell Crumple.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-26 2:24 am 

scatteredsun wrote:
hah! I didn't have a Sphinx either. I'm pretty sure I ended up just leaving any I pulled on the table out of spite.

Intruder Alarm, Thrumming Stone, and a binned Grey Merchant or Mogis's Marauder should all cause knee-jerk reactions with this deck :twisted:

I didn't put Undead Alchemist in because I rarely end up milling other players. I'll start whittling down decks if I land a Leyline of the Void but really the quick play is to mill yourself.

One notable exception is the lack of Akroma's Memorial. I keep forgetting toss it in. It'll go in today. I'll probably end up cutting Hinder or Spell Crumple.

I actually meant to ask about Memorial... LOL. I get what you're saying about the devotion guys and Stone, they are not exactly "combo" kills, but they are kinda easy-mode, sorta like this deck's version of "Tooth and Nail for Avenger + Craterhoof" or whatever. I might leave out Gary to begin with, but the other three I think will at least get chuckles the first time...

I want Alchemist because I do want milling everyone else to at least be an optional line of play, and he seems really good if I'm going to possibly go down that road. I get that self-mill is usually going to be Plan A, but if I can make milling everyone else a feasible Plan B, I'm happy to do so.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-26 4:25 am 

I cut Witchbane Orb for Orbs of Warding. If you run into too much graveyard hate you could run them both.

Honestly, Thrumming Stone is probably the most dangerous card. I've dumped all my Rats into play every time it's landed.

Now that I think about it, I may swap Leyline of the Void for Undead Alchemist.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-26 3:13 pm 

Well... shit. I only have 8 relentless rats for some reason. Guess this plan is on hold for now.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Aug-27 1:25 pm 

If you were in the area I'd hook you up. I have 10 or so.

Dropped Hinder for Akromas Memorial

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Sep-23 2:35 am 

I was hoping to have a new toy in BFZ. Oh well.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-02 8:07 am 

I'm beginning to rethink Undead Alchemist. It seems really good all around.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Dec-02 8:55 am 

scatteredsun wrote:
I was hoping to have a new toy in BFZ. Oh well.

IDK if you still dislike actually milling, but Oblivion Sower is pretty hilarious after you mill a bunch and exile everything with agent of erebos or nihil spellbomb.

Glint-Eye Nephilim (combat tricks, card draw, & creature pump)
Oloro Upkeep Tribal (enchantment-based control)
and more:Decklists

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next