Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-07 3:24 am

Post subject: Help my Marath, Will of the Wilds - Beat Down
AgePosted: 2014-Apr-28 6:50 am 

I’m looking to get some further suggestions with this deck, and I‘ve had some great help on these forums before. And seeing an entry in another post made me face palm as to why i was not running Purphoros, duh.
I bought the 2014 commander decks a while ago and after playing with Marath, will of the wild, I fell in love with the card. It does so much and keeps scaling throughout the game, so I wanted to build on the theme of tokens and counters and create an aggressive deck that can produce large amounts of damage with either a huge Marath, will of the wild or his tokens or any number of other tokens I may have conjured.
As it stands I have taken the original commander deck and removed the things that I found never performed as I liked them to and replaced them with oddities from my collection. I’m not really on a budget but would like to see what sort of suggestions are thrown my way before I make any reckless purchases :wink: (as of GP Manchester I have made I reckless purchases of dual lands :D )
Deck list.

Commander
Marath, will of the wild

Lands x37
2Mountain
2Forest
Plains
Savannah
Mosswort Bridge
Arid mesa
Tranquil Thicket
Taiga
Selesnya Sanctuary
Stirring Wildwood
Sacred Foundry
Temple Garden
Sunpetal Grove
Wooded Bastion
Fire-lit Thicket
Plateau
Gruul Turf
Gruul Guildgate
Temple of Abandon
Rootbound Crag
Karplusan Forest
Stomping Ground
Raging Ravine
Kessig Wolf Run
Evolving Wilds
Skarrg, the Rage Pits
Naya Panorama
Reliquary Tower
Temple of the false God
Contested Cliffs
Opal Palace
Command Tower
Jungle Shrine
Wooded Foothills
Windswept Heath

Still trying out different lands, any ideas what can replace the guild gates and Karoo's

Rocks x5
Sol Ring
Selesnya Signet
Darksteel Ingot
Gruul Signet
Boros Signet

Enchantments x12
Gruul War Chant
Mana Echoes
Warstorm Surge
Vicious Shadows
Primal Vigor
Sylvan Library
Fires of Yavimaya
Parallel Lives
Doubling Season
Assemble The Legion
Cathars’ Crusade
Sulfuric Vortex

Though I'm not aiming for combo kills it's good to have some, thinking I could run earthcraft for an extra combo. Mana echoes and Marath is huge mana even with out the cathars crusade to go inifinite. Mana echoes is the only unfair card in the deck the rest is just power and i dont know if adding these would spoil the deck.

Instants x5
Beast Within
Boros Charm
Eladamri’s Call
Oblation
Enlightened Tutor

Sorcery x8
Titanic Ultimatum
Farseek
Savage Twister
Tempt with Discovery
One Dozen eyes
Harmonize
Skyshroud Claim
Genesis Wave

Though there is a heavy token theme here I dont want to bog myself down with overrun effects, so just the one huge one is enough

Planeswalker x1
Garruk, Primal Hunter

Artifact x6
Hammer of Purphoros
Illusionist's Bracers
Lightning Greaves
Mage Slayer
Behemoth Sledge
Swiftfoot Boots

Creatures x25
Birds of paradise
Joraga Treespeaker
Sakura-Tribe Elder
Skyshroud Elf
Vexing Shusher
Stigma Lasher
Zhur-taa Druid
Knotvine Mystic
Eternal Witness
Champion of Lambholt
Fangren Firstborn
Oracle of Mul Daya
Iroas, God of Victory
Ivy Lane Denizen
Anger
Ogre Battledriver
Acidic Slime
Urabrask the Hidden
Xenagos, God of Revels
Gahiji, Honored One
Rampaging Baloths
Vigor
Avenger of Zendikar
Terastodon
Chorus of the Conclave

I have tried to make the deck creature heavy, by 1for1 swap on enchantments like fevor for ogre battledriver

I have had an absolute blast playing this this deck, for a totally different game than that I normally play, being Control (Tariel Wrath control / Daxos UW control / Zedruu . Chaos (judges wet dream) It is very much a deck that plays with the strengths of its General and tries to maximize them with all the doubling effects of doubling season, Primal Vigor, Cathars crusade, Illusionists bracers, Ivy lane denizen and paralell lives,

I much appreciate any further help you may offer me with this deck :D

Last edited by Nimbleroo on 2014-Jun-06 2:44 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Help my Marath, Will of the Wilds - Beat Down
AgePosted: 2014-Apr-30 7:33 am 

I wrote an article on my blog about an infinite combo with Marath. Here's the link to the article, and if for some reason the link isn't working, i have the link to my blog posted in my signature.

link to the marath combo: http://deadlyrecluse.com/?p=44

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-30 8:59 am 

I basically have he same combo in the deck already, only instead of the ivy street denizen, there be any of the doubling effects, doubling season, paralelle lives, Primal Vigor.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-30 10:27 pm 

Suggestions:

One more haste enchantment, either Hammer of Purphs or Fervor. I've found those to be a nice way of getting ahead and being more impactful in multiplayer games with GR creature decks.

Yavimaya Elder is nice fixing and CA, but doesn't feel aggressive enough for what you're trying to do with this deck. Consider replacing it.

Fangren First Born feels a little underpowered and tough on the mana in a 3 color deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-05 1:32 pm 

Here is a pretty fine tuned Marath Deck if you are interested in checking it out. Comes with card breakdowns and all.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=16857

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-06 6:49 am 

In the web of war is underapreciated as a haste enabler, especially for alpha strikes, its lethal with tokens, like a mini Craterhoof Behemoth which is also missing, possibly a good addition to think of, if not a bit worn out now for some. I personally love the thing in my Rith deck, tokens need a win con like everyone else, I personally don't run Tooth and Nail or Avenger of Zendikar in my list as I have them elsewhere and don't like to repeat using such 'staple' or well known cards to keep things fresh between decks.

I didn't failed nothing

My EDH Cube

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-06 9:51 am 

Ogre Battledriver should be in there for the agro. Also, in these colors you can't afford to not be playing Glory of Warfare, helps keep your guys alive on other turns, and turns your bums into beats on your turns.

Plus, nothing beats doublestrike in these colors... I would recommend Rage Reflection and True Conviction, plus, a personal favorite.. Savage Beating. Plus, if you are playing a token based deck, perhaps take out some of the non token dudes, and replace them with dudes that put tokens into play. Deranged Hermit, Siege-Gang Commander, Captain of the Watch, Chancellor of the Forge and the like... Dragonlair Spider is a beast and super fun too.

Also, perhaps toss in a Minion Reflector and a Myr Battlesphere. If you have a token doubler out already and you actually get to use the Minion Reflector, you will get another copy of that token as well, and then all the tokens that the creature originally produced will get doubled, and so will all the tokens that the copies make. lol If you had a doubling season, and a minion reflector out, and then spent the 7 to cast, and 2 to copy the Myr Battlesphere, you would have 3 Battlespheres and 24 Myr tokens. lol.. and 2 of those Battlespheres have haste and die at the end of the turn.

You could also be playing the dudes that put golems into play for those colors.. Precursor Golem, Maul Splicer, Sensor Splicer, Vital Splicer.

If you are already doing the token thing, you can run all the guys that put eldrazi spawn tokens into play to help with the ramp Awakening Zone, Emrakul's Hatcher, Kozilek's Predator, Nest Invader and they feed into Fecundity nicely. I don't know how you feel about putting out a whole mess of tokens, then casting Warp World, but it does shake up the game....

Oh yea.. a good token generator for these colors is Rise of the Hobgoblins.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-05 2:08 pm 

Bump

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-06 8:08 am 

I dunno if this is the kind of advice you're looking for... but I'd add more ramp.

I think the big strength of green is ramping out basics which then never get removed (since mass land destruction is rare)... I think its sort of insane not to include cultivate and kodama's reach, even if they're not quite on theme. Other suggestions are fertilid and perilous forays, but TBH, I always end up cutting perilous forays. Anyway, I'd cut a few of your ETB-tapped nonbasics for basic land (maybe run like 4 forest, 2 mountain, 2 plains) and more ways to fetch out land. I think after skyshroud claim, cultivate, and kodama's reach, i'd do nature's lore and explosive vegetation (or ranger's path, if you have a savannah).

On the other hand, I'm impressed with the number of creatures you're playing that tap for mana (I count... 6 of them?). I sort of shy away from those since I don't want them to just die to a wrath, unless there's some compelling reason, like, IDK, you're running Karametra, God of harvests or Thromok and a high creature count is really good. How do you find them here? Do you need them to trigger cathars' crusade, or do you end up stashing counters from Marath on them?

Glint-Eye Nephilim (combat tricks, card draw, & creature pump)
Oloro Upkeep Tribal (enchantment-based control)
and more:Decklists

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-06 3:00 pm 

The Savannah was missing from the list, but there is one in there. (edited list)

I dropped the Kodama's Reach andCultivate after running so few basic lands I could often end up with them being dead draws, replacing these with mana dorks felt like a better solution. I have had good use out of them, maybe the BoP and Knotvine Mystic could go, but the tree speaker and skyshroud elf are beastly, one is a green sol ring, the other effortlessly filters colours(maybe theres a better card for this job I have over looked), The druid is more of a 'on theme' idea it is ramp that pings the table each turn.

Beyond that being bodies means I can Wolf run them, they get a bonus from cathar's crusade, trigger mana echoes/warstorm surge and slot nicely with vicious shadows. as well as some creature interactions with iroas, fangren first born, ogre battedriver, Gahiji, Vigor and champion of lambholt.

Since Mass LD is rare even ruination is hardly played I'm happy to run the risk of being blow out by that removal, and even then having the dorks left behind could potentially leave me ahead of the board.

I feel like I get more use out of the creature's that have further uses, over one shot spells. I'm aiming for a more beat down type strategy and I have more sinergy with creatures than I do sorcerys.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-09 2:47 am 

Thanks for the thoughtful discussion.
Nimbleroo wrote:
Since Mass LD is rare even ruination is hardly played I'm happy to run the risk of being blow out by that removal, and even then having the dorks left behind could potentially leave me ahead of the board.

I think maybe you misunderstood my point. Mass LD is super rare, but Mass Creature Kill is super common. Don't the mana dorks just die every turn to a wrath? Isn't it better to have ramp that doesn't die to every wrath?

Glint-Eye Nephilim (combat tricks, card draw, & creature pump)
Oloro Upkeep Tribal (enchantment-based control)
and more:Decklists

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-09 3:23 pm 

For replacing the gates and Karoos I would suggest basic lands. You currently only have 5 which can make cards that search for basics useless pretty quickly.
Also, Krosan Verge is very good. Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion, Yavimaya Hollow, Windbrisk Heights, Spinerock Knoll are some good utility lands if you are looking for more
Darksteel Ingot seems a little pointless to me as a 3 cost ramp spell in a green deck. You have some other options that will probably benefit you more.
Wood Elves has the same cost and can grab dual lands and has the benefit of giving you a 1/1 and no risk of losing your mana (apart from land destruction which is pretty rare in most EDH games).
The previousy suggested Cultivate and Kodama's Reach give you the land in play and help you hit another land drop at the same cost. They give you the mana tapped which is almost never an issue in the early game and late game you are more likely to need the land you get into your hand anyways. You will need more basics to make these work though.
Garruk Wildspeaker gives you more ramp for 1 more mana but the token and overrun are very relevant for your deck.

I have tried Zhur-taa Druid and found that it isn't very impressive. One of the ramp cards above might be better and more resistant to removal. If you want another mana dork I would suggest Bloom Tender.

With all your cards that care about counters you might want to look into some of the spikes. Spike Weaver, Spike Rogue, and Spike Feeder are probably the best ones.

I second the suggestion that Fangren Firstborn is difficult to cast and doesn't make a big impact. You have a few cards that make your creatures require double blocking Pyreheart Wolf is a way to get it on a creature if you are looking for another. It's also nice that it survives board wipes.

Offline Profile