Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-11 8:26 am

Post subject: Re: Draconian Tactics--Rakdos, Lord of Riots
AgePosted: 2014-May-01 4:53 am 

Wolfram wrote:
I like Heartless Hidetsugu for Rakdos. Why enable Rakdos with 1 damage when you can kill everyone halfway? Mostly I just like the card.

Ancient Hellkite is another option for removal that can hit multiple targets in one turn.
The downside is you need all red mana for it.

Thundermaw Hellkite is another card worth considering. It gives you an opening for all your dragons to hit on the turn it comes in.

Sarkhan the Mad seem like a flavorful fit too.

No, on the Heartless Hidetsugu. Putting in this card would require taking out a turn three or earlier enabler, making it more likely Rakdos hits the field turn five instead of turn four. Turn four Rakdos is absolutely key to getting the deck operating effectively. But I can understand your liking the card.

Crimson Hellkite and Ancient Hellkite share similar issues: although there are times I have a lot of open mana, I am more likely to be spending all of my mana every turn. Having to dedicate any portion of Red mana to their abilities strains the deck just a little too much.

Thundermaw Hellkite has been a consideration of mine, but similar to Hellkite Igniter both of these really need to be cast before you alpha strike for the turn. This doesn't work out quite as well as you'd think; therefore, part of the reason Hellkite Igniter was taken off the list.

I want to like Sarkhan the Mad, but I'm nervous about his 'ultimate' being effective enough. If I use Sarkhan's first ability, he'll more often than not outright kill himself (making him a really terrible B/R draw card). I am pretty much forced to wait for the right opportunity to slam him down before an alpha strike to kill off someone without having to directly attack them. I'll have to keep an eye out to understand if there's enough opportunity with that mode to be worth it.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-04 1:49 am 

Pyreheart Wolf, eh? I need to write that down... You know, next to Outmaneuver :) Also, I added Knollspine Dragon to my Rakdos list recently, though I didn' t have time to test it yet. I'm also considering Dictate of the Twin Gods. That one seems sick.

Someone has recommended me to run Repay in Kind, because since Rakdos is often marked for death from the start of the game, this punishes others for ganging up on you while getting your Rakdos count high in the process. I found a foil copy in my LGS for next to nothing, so I got it, but I haven't tested it yet.

In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jun-09 1:19 am 

Conspiracy changes:

-Preyseizer Dragon
+Scourge of the Throne

Sorry devour, multiple attack steps are better.

Offline Profile