Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Jul-18 11:44 am

Post subject: Re: Xenagos, God of Revels - Revision 2 - 15/03/14
AgePosted: 2014-Apr-19 3:52 am 

Tarasco wrote:
So did you manage to fit in Berserk? I completely forgot about it until I came back and checked on this thread. Seems like it would be great.

Or have you shelved this to work on Phenax now? I really like the idea behind this deck, it's certainly much more controlling than the route I went. Also, since I play online Gods are running around all over the place, and as such Unravel the Aether and Deglamer have been all-stars for me.

Haven't had a chance to play MTG in the last 3 weeks. Silly amounts of overtime required at work these days...

There are approximately 15 billion cards exactly that I want to fit in this list. Alright, not really, but that's what it feels like...

I've yet to ferret out any card worth cutting through playtesting basically :(

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-26 11:40 pm 

Alright, so I had a chance to play last Wednesday.

Deck continues to perform where I want it to be.

The cards I'm eyeing are Swiftfoot Boots, Ulvenwald Tracker and Crop Rotation

Swiftfoot Boots have never had a 'wow' moment yet where I've been super happy to see it or fetch it. It's more of a incidental card instead of a high impact card and this list likes high impact.

Ulvenwald Tracker is harder to place... It hasn't shined but mostly because I haven't seen it much or it dies quickly to board wipes.

Crop Rotation is a fine card, and I've appreciated it a few games, but its tricks are limited with the colourless lands I'm running. Mostly eyeing this because it's 1 card of its type too many, counting Sylvan Scrying and Expedition Map. I'd cut Map, but its needed as a Welder target.

So looking at what I've wanted to fit in we have:

Berserk
Greater Gargadon
Hoard-Smelter Dragon
Karn Liberated
Phyrexia's Core
Bloodshot Cyclops
Homura, Human Ascendant
Grab the Reins

Greater Gargadon is definitely taking one of these spots, debating the rest.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-04 1:15 pm 

Another game last Wednesday, happy with the Crop Rotation cut for Greater Gargadon. Didn't get to do major shenanigans with it, but the sac outlet was appreciated and the 9/7 beater with a untapped mana base was killer.

My meta does not run enough god hate... so trying to think of ways to abuse that a bit more. It just means I almost always have Xenagos out and can build around that assumption.

I'm highly considering Hydra Omnivore now as a fair finisher. I thought it was a bit cheesy at first, but in retrospect this card will do a lot of work towards my goals. The upside that it has pseudo reach if I switch to another target who has no defenders is a huge boon in its favour.

Rogue's Passage is also on my list as a way to bypass death touch creatures (something I've had continual trouble with). I'll probably switch out Rage Pits for it to test. Both effectively do the same thing, but unblockable and trample work better in different scenarios and it is nice to have options.

I'm looking for suggestions on a solid Green Sun's Zenith target that boosts a existing creatures combat potential pre combat. Wolfir Silverheart comes to mind immediately, but I wouldn't mind more oomph. Drawing blanks here.

Swiftfoot Boots is definitely the next cut. Still looking for opinions on everything else.

I've sheepishly lost a few games to Stranglehold, but don't know a way around that. Was simply by virtue of not being able to search up a correct answer to get rid of it, bricking 2-3 cards in my hand and leaving me top decking gas or a answer.

Darksteel Ingot might need to get squeezed in as well. I need more ramp for my meta (I often come out slow compared to some lists) and someone in my meta is running MLD. Most of the time, I'm actually really close to be able to recover from it really well. Ingot will help with this.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-07 3:35 am 

Just gonna keep talking to myself cause why not...

I still haven't managed to take a first round (only second rounds). Always super close, though.

A side issue I'm having is getting over feelings of remorse for killing someone... To often I know the right play is to show no mercy, but instead I wait one turn or attack someone else because I feel bad, and that person does something silly.

It's only weird because every game this list kills one person very efficiently and often quickly... so that player gets left out of what is usually a awesome match afterwards...

No major thoughts this time around.. though I've added Blasphemous Act to the consider list. I know its impossible to shore up every weakness you have, but ya, another board wipe wouldn't hurt...

Also eyeing Dictate of the Twin Gods.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-07 8:15 am 

GoodbyeWorld wrote:
A side issue I'm having is getting over feelings of remorse for killing someone... To often I know the right play is to show no mercy, but instead I wait one turn or attack someone else because I feel bad, and that person does something silly.

It's only weird because every game this list kills one person very efficiently and often quickly... so that player gets left out of what is usually a awesome match afterwards....

This is tough, and sometimes I feel the same way. But as you found out that's really just how Xenagos works. He can put some resources into smashing a player, and you gotta take advantage of it while you can. Sure, someone might get knocked out on turn 6, but that just means that you have less opponents to beat, and the game will be shorter overall.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Xenagos, God of Revels - R/G control - Revision 3 - 14/11/15
AgePosted: 2015-Nov-13 9:37 am 

Updated and modernised!

Last update was 14/03/14, so almost a whole years worth of cards gave this list a very nice fresh coat of pain. Super happy with it!

The new tuck rules worked and I severely cut down on the amount of tutors I play which is cool :).

The only two spots I am eyeing personally are Eternal Witness (I know right? Den and Greenwarden though work better for what this list is trying to do) and possibly Birthing Pod.

Pod is powerful, but for whatever reason 70% of the time it's saccing a 5 drop to find Bane of Progress and bloody killing itself. There has to be a better tutor for its spot that finds Bane and a whole dearth of other things.

So far, I think Fierce Empath might be the best fit, with my only reluctance being it can't find ramp creatures or any of my single target artifact and enchantment destruction creatures which can be clutch when needed. The other option is Imperial Recruiter which finds a lot more utility, but a lot less fat. Alas, the best solution might be to run both.

It's also one less way to get Genesis to the yard, which always ends up being a darn issue some game (I have a love hate relationship with Genesis).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-13 11:14 am 

What about something like of Genesis Hydra instead of the Witness or the Pod. Granted it doesn't let you search your whole library, but it's pretty versatile as far as what it can fetch ... and it gives you a beater ... potentially.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Nov-14 8:21 am 

AutoXCivic wrote:
What about something like of Genesis Hydra instead of the Witness or the Pod. Granted it doesn't let you search your whole library, but it's pretty versatile as far as what it can fetch ... and it gives you a beater ... potentially.

I'd say yes if it had built in evasion, but I don't think it is otherwise strong enough to replace those cards as is.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Xenagos, God of Revels - Beatdown + Control - 17/10/16
AgePosted: 2016-Oct-16 3:53 pm 

OP also updated, looking for fresh feeback. List still performs really well.

Smoke never really performed however, probably going to become another piece of ramp.

Boring update is boring.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Xenagos, God of Revels - Beatdown + Control - 17/10/16
AgePosted: 2016-Oct-17 2:11 am 

On the topic of running out of steam & card drawing, our Xenagos player plays Hunter's Prowess and it's a huge beating. Yes, there are draw-backs (cost & speed) but it's rare he can't stick it on some sort of hexproof dude and draw a lot of cards.

Sissay 5c Superfriends
Morophon Eldrazi (5C Devoid)
Grenzo's Goblins

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Oct-17 6:28 am 

Is inadequate draw/gas still an issue? Just asking, because that was an issue I always had with Gruul decks in the past, but my current Stonebrow deck... well, the very first time I played the current list, I decked myself. :facepalm:

(To be fair, I was digging desperately for a Sword of Light and Shadow because I was up against a Teysa deck, and totally forgot that I left the Swords out of this build. :? Once I realized I didn't have any REAL outs, I just started digging as fast as possible hoping I could just overwhelm the Teysa player with more threats than they could handle. Eventually I stuck a Greater Good and started rallying for a comeback, but once they got a token engine going, I just couldn't apply pressure quite fast enough to trump their removal. I just started sac'ing everything that Teysa targetted hoping to get lucky and find a silver bullet, but eventually just ran out of cards and never found anything that would get me out of it.)

Point being, if your deck is performing well, I really don't know what advice I could possibly offer besides being able to help you over-solve the draw problem! LOL.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Oct-17 11:18 am 

zimagic wrote:
On the topic of running out of steam & card drawing, our Xenagos player plays Hunter's Prowess and it's a huge beating. Yes, there are draw-backs (cost & speed) but it's rare he can't stick it on some sort of hexproof dude and draw a lot of cards.

I think I could possibly cut Temur Sabertooth for this, or a card like it ya. I have enough ETB effects to make Tooth worth it, but sheer draw into a bunch of gas is just better if I find I'm lacking in that area...

thaumaturge wrote:
Is inadequate draw/gas still an issue?

-> Point being, if your deck is performing well, I really don't know what advice I could possibly offer besides being able to help you over-solve the draw problem! LOL.

Totally is, my lists are fairly formulaic if I want them running smoothly, and I have too many cute cards in this list that I could use help finding the courage to cut haha.

Smoke got cut for Sol Ring (I finally caved), and that puts my ramp below 4 cc to 8, which is the amount I am comfortable with now. Draw needs to be higher for sure. No lack of good options in G, just need cuts.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Oct-17 12:01 pm 

Eh well in that case you probably already know what all I'd suggest to add, meanwhile I hate telling people what to cut... I always seem to pick there pet cards!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Oct-17 12:14 pm 

thaumaturge wrote:
Eh well in that case you probably already know what all I'd suggest to add, meanwhile I hate telling people what to cut... I always seem to pick there pet cards!

Pick the pet cards please. My gut reaction might be noooooooooooo, but ten to one I stew about it and eventually make a cut. It just sometimes takes awhile for me to show I make the cut eventually and appreciate the feedback between lengthy updates.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2016-Oct-20 4:30 am 

BTW I actually have a lot of thoughts on this deck, and was planning to respond a couple of days ago, but shit hit the fan at work and I've been super busy all week. May get around to it, may not... we'll see if I still even remember what those thoughts were once I have a moment to think about it!

Offline Profile