Post subject: Cromat of Many Colours
AgePosted: 2014-Mar-03 4:19 am 

Deck name: “Cromat of Many Colours”

Commander: Cromat

Colours: White/Blue/Black/Red/Green

Theme/s: Multicoloured cards

Primary Win Condition/s: Attacking with creatures

Secondary Win Condition/s: Commander damage

Budget: $50 (there are a few cards in this deck that were recommended by people on this forum, and those are somewhat pricey already, so I'm not especially looking to spend a great deal of money on this deck.)

Playgroup: My playgroup is a very casual kitchen-table style with up to five opponents. We don’t use Eldrazi (for fear of mutual deck escalation) or many infinite combos (usually because no-one owns the right cards to do so). I generally play against any or all of the following decks:
Player 1: mono-Green goodstuff/ mono-Red Chandler artifact creature destruction+Intimidate, White/Black/Red Kaalia of the Vast Angel tribal deck, Green/Blue/Red Riku of Two Reflections pre-con from Commander 2011
Player 2: Grixis “steal stuff”/mono-Green Omnath, Locus of Mana ramp
Player 3: Bant Rubinia Soulsinger “Tim” deck/Selesnya Gabriel Angelfire Banding deck
Player 4: Gruul Ruric Thar, the Unbowed creatures
Player 5: Yet to build an EDH deck :-(

This deck was inspired by a card that will likely never see play anywhere but in Commander: Chromanticore. I love this card but am completely aware that to try and cast it is almost impossible in Standard (without building your deck around it, at least). Of course, in Commander you'd need to have a five colour deck to use it, and that's how I got to this point.

The commander I picked for this deck is Cromat; of all of the five colour Legendary creatures that didn't cost a great deal of money, Cromat was the one that I felt had the most use, with his multitude of abilities.

The deck's theme is multicolour; other than two artifacts (both of which reference multicoloured cards) and the land, every card in the deck is multicoloured. Even the one-drops are multicoloured, thanks to Hybrid mana.

Let’s take a look at the deck.

Cromat – the commander.

Burning-Tree Emissary
Knight of the Reliquary
Knotvine Mystic
Karametra, God of Harvests
Igneous Pouncer
Jhessian Zombies
Pale Recluse
Sanctum Plowbeast
Valley Rannet

Dryad Militant
Figure of Destiny
Judge's Familiar
Manaforge Cinder
Odious Trow
Seedcradle Witch
Slitherhead
Wild Cantor
Bant Sureblade
Dimir Guildmage
Esper Stormblade
Grixis Grimblade
Jund Hackblade
Naya Hushblade
New Prahv Guildmage
Savageborn Hydra
Sunhome Guildmage
Maelstrom Archangel
Dune-Brood Nephilim
Glint-Eye Nephilim
Ink-Treader Nephilim
Witch-Maw Nephilim
Yore-Tiller Nephilim
Knight of New Alara
Chromanticore
Fusion Elemental
Defiler of Souls

The first group of creatures are there to help with my mana; the mana requirements of a five colour deck, especially one that focuses on multicoloured cards, are quite tough, so there are a number of creatures (and other spells) in the deck to help with that. This includes all five of the Alara "basic landcycling" creatures, who do quite well as creatures in the later game.

The rest of the creatures are, for the most part, quite cheap. There are a lot of one- and two-drop creatures in the list so that there isn't too much pressure on my manabase to be casting creatures. And most of them have activated abilities that cost mana, so I can sink my mana into them in the late game in order to use it more efficiently.

The Nephilim and almost all of the 5 colour creatures there are in there simply because this is a 5 colour deck and there's no other place I'm going to get the chance to use them.

Safewright Quest
Manamorphose
Fieldmist Borderpost
Firewild Borderpost
Mistvein Borderpost
Veinfire Borderpost
Wildfield Borderpost
Exploding Borders
Xenagos, the Reveler
Frenzied Tilling

Reborn Hope
Supply // Demand
Eladamri's Call
Maelstrom Nexus
Genju of the Realm
Last Stand
Conflux

Behemoth Sledge
Demonspine Whip
Mage Slayer
Mask of Riddles
Urza's Filter
Dragon Arch

These are the non-creature spells in the deck. The first set of cards are the remainder of my mana-aiding cards, with ways to boost my mana and/or fix it.

There are only a handful of other spells there, but most of them are five colour (so couldn't go in any other deck) or reference multicoloured cards.

The artifacts can hopefully help my creatures in various ways. I'm not 100% on the Filter because there are relatively few colourless costs in the spells in my deck; it does help up to 29 of the spells in my deck, but I'm still kinda unsure on it.

Bant Panorama
Esper Panorama
Grixis Panorama
Jund Panorama
Naya Panorama
Evolving Wilds
Terramorphic Expanse
Krosan Verge
Pillar of the Paruns
Command Tower
City of Brass
Plains x 7
Island x 5
Swamp x 5
Mountain x 5
Forest x 7

40 lands here. All of the cheap (in money terms) basic land tutors are here, along with a handful of multicolour producing lands that I already own.

Despite being five colours, in goldfish playtests I don't seem to have had much of a problem with being mana screwed. The biggest problem actually tends to be that the deck requires a lot of thinking about how I'm going to use my mana best, due to the multiple mana requirements of different cards.

Nice combos that the deck can pull off include Knight of New Alara + any of the five "Alara" Blade cycle (who each get boosted to being a 6/5 just with these two cards on the table) or Cromat (getting boosted to being a 10/10, which he can boost further due to his own R/W ability, bringing a two-turn commander damage kill into possibility), Conflux on its own (since it can basically pull almost any five cards from the deck), and Behemoth Sledge/Demonspine Whip/Bestowed Chromanticore + Glint-Eye Nephilim (since the deck has very little drawing capability).

Putrid Pirate Proliferation
Lord of Voltronhorn
Unlife of the Party
Jaya Ballard, Discard Mage
Zedruu and the Minotaurs
Vish Kal's ManSlaughterhouse
Izzet Any Good?

Chorus of Counters

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Cromat of Many Colours
AgePosted: 2014-Mar-03 4:34 am 

Reserved for changes and for overflow, if necessary.

Changelog

03/03/14: Deck posted

Lord of Voltronhorn
Unlife of the Party
Zedruu and the Minotaurs
Izzet Any Good?

Chorus of Counters

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-03 5:24 am 

I've always liked Marisi's Twinclaws, especially if you have any way to pump it. Gloryscale Viashino could also be good, since it will usually be pumped at least once each turn - more if you have cascades. Speaking of cascading, you should definitely consider including Bloodbraid Elf, Etherium-Horn Sorcerer, and Bituminous Blast.

I would also greatly suggest Crime // Punishment - it is an excellent card with good power and flexibility.

My Decks: Zombiepocalypse (Thraximundar) ♦ Thrun stands alone (voltron) ♦ Ashling the Burninator ♦ Doran beatdown (treefolk/plant tribal) ♦ Mine! (UB theft/clone) ♦ Vampire Beatdown (Edgar Markov) ♦ BW Enchantments (Daxos the Returned)

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-14 7:11 am 

So far, goldfishing the deck has been pretty fun. Even though I've only got budget mana fixing, I can usually get WUBRG out by turn five or six, which lets me get Cromat, Maelstrom Nexus, or Maelstrom Archangel out. For the most part, mana flow isn't too much of an issue (partially due to the amount of hybrid cards in the deck, making casting them easier).

About the only card that I don't see much of a use for so far has been Ink-Treader Nephilim, due to the lack of targeting Instants and Sorceries in the deck. If I want to keep him in the deck, I'll probably have to include either targeted destruction (making him a board wipe) or some other effect that will benefit me more than it will my opponents when their creatures get targeted by the same spell, but only in multicolour. Cards that I might include are:

Some interesting choices on that list. I probably wouldn't include too many, as it seems pretty likely that I'd have one of the cards in hand but never see the Nephilim. I'm looking at things that will help if I'm behind more than if I'm ahead.

Lord of Voltronhorn
Unlife of the Party
Zedruu and the Minotaurs
Izzet Any Good?

Chorus of Counters

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-May-12 12:10 pm 

Been thinking about this deck a little more recently, seeing as I've picked up several key cards for it (Maelstrom Nexus, Maelstrom Archangel, and a foil, Japanese Chromanticore) for a reasonable price.

Ink-Treader Nephilim

As mentioned in my previous post, I do want to include some Instants and Sorceries that are bananas when targeting this guy. It occurs to me that I ought to include spells that are also good when used at other times (as there's no guarantee that he'll be around when I have them in hand). With that in mind, I think I've managed to pare the list down to the following:

Bant Charm - multiple uses of the card, including tucking opposing generals (which is what will happen to the board if I use it on the Nephilim),
Catch // Release - three different uses as standard, but when cast with Fuse on Ink-Treader Nephilim the effect is bonkers! It's effectively a game reset. Only to be used in a certain situation (mentioned below),
Crosis's Charm - multiple uses, including two types of board wipes when cast on the Nephilim,
Sigil Blessing - one of the only cards that, when cast on the Nephilim, only helps me. And,
Spitting Image - reasonably useful on its own, but when used with the Nephilim, it's crazy good.

One other thing I plan to do is to add in Nivmagus Elemental. That way he can "eat" all of the spare copies that I don't want to use (whether that's on my friendlies so that they don't die/get tucked or on the enemies so they don't get bonuses). With him in play, it turns Ink-Treader Nephilim and a Fused Catch // Release into a one-sided total board wipe (because he eats enough copies that my creatures aren't all sacrificed, but all of my opponents' ones are, as well as a great deal of lands, artifacts, enchantments, and planeswalkers).

Multicoloured Enchantment Tutoring and Retrieval

With Chromanticore playing such a big part in me choosing to make this deck, as well as splashing out for the foil version of it, I would like to see it in more games than not. Thus, I want to include some tutoring for it. I'm also concerned that it might get destroyed, so I'd like some graveyard retrieval too. I'm considering some of the following cards:

5 Colour cards

These are the cards that just can't go in any other kind of EDH deck. The ones that can only go in a five-colour deck. Right now I have a comprehensive list of things that this includes, but I'm not going to put all of them in there. These include:

Other decent multicolour cards

Most of these are recommendations from people in this thread.

Mercurial Chemister (draw, creature damage)
Pyroconvergence (not multicoloured, but references them, and HOW)
Charms (Alara, RtR/GTC)
Civic Saber
Gloryscale Viashino
Marisi's Twinclaws
Cascade cards
Crime // Punishment

Trample Granters

Looking at Cromat, he has a built-in way to kill off blockers. But, he'd still be blocked... unless he had Trample. I want to include some reusable ways to grant him Trample (besides Chromanticore, that is).

======

In general, a lot of these cards won't go in the deck. I'm just posting general ideas I'm having right now and will get around to trimming them down soon.

Lord of Voltronhorn
Unlife of the Party
Zedruu and the Minotaurs
Izzet Any Good?

Chorus of Counters

Offline Profile