Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-20 8:29 am

Post subject: Sydri, Galvanic Genius - Your sword just grew Legs...WUBfun
AgePosted: 2014-Feb-28 11:58 am 

Hey Guys!

I recently completed (this week) my Sydri, Galvanic Genius deck. Now before you guys all go moaning and groaning that Sydri+Mycosynth Lattice can pay(1) destroy target land....I am not running what I consider to be "******bag combos". I am not in the business of building decks that win consistently at the expense of making friends who actually want to play with you again.

As such...I am not running some of the cards people would immediately think are "no-brainers" for inclusion. That being said, I like funny/clever interactions...which I will detail below.

Lands: (37)
Plainsx5
Islandx6
Swampx6
Ancient Den (White Atifact Land - will die to artifact wraths, but also untaps with Unwinding clock)
Vault of Whispers (Black Artifact Land - See above)
Seat of Synod (Blue Artfact Land - See above)
Darksteel Citadel (Colorless Artifact Land - See above+Indestructible)
Command Tower
Vivid Marsh (Foil! lol)
Temple of the False God
Nimbus Maze (I love the art on this card...would die for a foil one)
Temple of Enlightenment
Azorius Guildgate
Drowned Catacomb
Reliquary Tower
Prahv, Spires of Order (Good Damage Prevention lots of mana rocks make high cost manageable)
Scrubland
Isolated Chapel
Watery Grave
Celestial Colonnade (Manland! 4/4 Flying Vigilance!)
Glacial Fortress
Hallowed Fountain
Vesuva

I need to get a Godless Shrine, and I would also like to find a spot for Vault of the Archangel.

Creatures: (15)(including General)

For my creatures, I notice that I ended up with a high mana-curve...but that is supplmented by my Generals ability to turn my Non-Creature Artifacts into blockers/attackers as needed.

Sydri, Galvanic Genius (GENERAL)
Sun Titan (Great for recurring small artifacts/destroyed lands)
Filigree Angel (Artifact theme means I usually gain a lot of life. Great against my local Nekusar Meta!)
Burnished Hart (Not too expensive when you have extra colorless mana from your mana rocks!)
Wurmcoil Engine (Explaination not required)
Junk Diver (Recur an artifact!)
Sangromancer (Again Good for Local Meta - Could be removed for better alternative)
Baleful Strix (This Card is so full of good)
Sharuum the Hegemon (Don't act so surprised! lol.)
Thopter Assembly (Mwahaha Fear my Army of thopters!)
Steel Hellkite (Solid Removal on a flying pumpable stick)
Myr Battlesphere (It does it's job!)
Phyrexian Metamorph (He is played in all those blue decks for a reason)
Sphinx of the Steel Wind (I have a foil one an I love it!)
Kuldotha Forgemaster (Sacrifice a bunch of thopters/Myr tokens for artifact tutor into play?! YES)

Creature Cards I plan to add are: Solemn Simulacrum, Rune-Scarred Demon, Treasure Mage, Trinket Mage, and potentially Snapcaster Mage.

Planeswalkers: (3)

Tezzeret the Seeker
Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
Venser, the Sojourner

Artifacts: (28)

This is an artifact heavy deck, because my general can utilize artifacts for multiple interaction purposes. After what little playtesting I have done, I have Ranked Artifacts based on usefulness so far as either ++(Great) +(Good) ~(Neutral) -(Poor). Artifacts with a Poor Rating are slotted for replacement/removal.

Spine of Ish Sah (Nice Targeted Destruction, that can be bounced/re-used = +)
Staff of Nin (Card Draw, Can be animated and given deathtouch to kill any creature = ++)
Dreamstone Hedron (Mana when needed, card draw when needed = +)
Acorn Catapult (Can be Animated and given deathtouch to kill any creature and can make SQUIRRELS!! = ++)
Caltrops (Animate and Give deathtouch to decimate attacking creatures =++)
Thran Dynamo (Mana-Rock =++)
Mycosynth Wellspring (Tutor for a basic land potentially twice...good for Saccing/animating and blocking = +)
Darksteel Forge (animated it is a 9/9 indestructible beater...and makes all my artifacts indestructible = ++)
Myr Turbine (I make blockers all day long...all day long...all day long! animated 5/5 creature = +)
Sculpting Steel (I copy an artifact...nuff said = ++)
Skeleton Shard (This card is pretty good...if there is a target in my gy...not always the case = ~)
Kusari-Gama (Fun trick with this baby I want to have happen a few times! Can you figure it out? = +)
Akroma's Memorial (Gives my creatures Steroids and can be animated into a 7/7 berserker = ++)
Darksteel Plate (Give Sydri some protection..or just animate for a 3/3 indestructible blocker = +)
Chromatic Lantern (Color-Fixing Manabase & Manarock = +)
Blinkmoth Urn (Gives Colorless mana to everyone...which could backfire but usually doesn't = ~)
Trading Post (This is literaly a one-stop shop for answers. Haven't gotten it much yet = ~)
Krark-Clan Ironworks (Great when I have artifacts and tokens to sac...not so great in a pinch = ~)
Liquimetal Coating (Yes....Just Yes...Lets Sydri interact with all kinds of things! = ++!)
Darksteel Ingot (Indestructable Manarock...that can be animated as a 3/3 = +)
Ichor Wellspring (Card Drawx2 = +)
Sol Ring (Cheap, Fast, Manarock = ++)
Unwinding Clock (Untap all my Artifacts/mana rocks/artifact lands all the time? YAY = ++!)
Ward of Bones (Expensive, but great when someone is getting a little crazy...= ~)
Torpor Orb (Most decks have more ETB creatures than mine...but not 100% sure of this yet = ~)
Champion's Helm (Hexproof for Sydri = ~)
Sensei's Divining Top (Yup = ++)
Vedalken Orrery (Cast things at instant speed allows me to save mana for my opponents turns = +)

Would love suggestions. Remember...If it sounds like a Dbag, and smells like a Dbag, it's probably a Dbag and I'm not interested. Waiting on a Gilded Lotus to be added.

Enchantments: (2)

Enchantment Hate? Bring it On...lol. I had 3 but cut March of the Machines because it backfired a lot.

Tempered Steel (Interestingly enough...if Liquimetal Coating turns this card into an Artifact...Sydri can animate it to make it a 5/5 beater lol)
Land Tax (Go get that basic Land!)

Sorcery: (7)

Aether Snap (Included to counter local counter/token deck meta)
Austere Command (Probably the best Sweeper card in EDH)
Terminus (Just make sure Sydri is out of play and deal with troublesome armies)
Curse of the Swine (Fun card :P)
Roar of Reclamation (Artifacts start to pile up in my gy!)
Hallowed Burial (See Terminus)
Supreme Verdict (Wrath)

Note that the sweepers/wraths won't kill my artifacts, which sets up this play style: Wrath/Sweep - Cast Sydri - Animate Artifacts and swing in for big DMG.

Instant: (8)

Spell Crumple (Every Blue deck should have 1 counterspell lol)
Blue Sun's Zenith (Card Draw)
Evacuation (Alterative Sweeper - Could be swapped for Cyclonic Rift)
Mystical Tutor
Elightened Tutor
Swords to Plowshares (Spot removal)
Path to Exile (Spot Removal)
Return to Dust (Spot Removal)

I'd like to make room for Sphinx's Revelation because I could use some more Card Draw.

Overarching idea - I want to play a fun WUB deck, that can interact, have some board presence, swing in with animated artifacts by synergizing with the General, and not be stupidly broken/abusable to win the same way every time. I like the idea of using "rattlesnakes", animated with deathtouch to kill my opponents power-house creatures. I enjoy using surprising people with my ability to have blockers and attackers when they believed me to be unable to block/attack. Some not previous mentioned cards that I am waiting on to add to -potentially- add to this deck are:

Lifeline
Proteus Staff
Memnarch
Steal Artifact
Cryptic Command
Archetype of Finality
Whip of Erebos
Bident of Thassa

Let me know what you think? Thanks!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Sydri, Galvanic Genius - Your sword just grew Legs...WUBfun
AgePosted: 2014-Feb-28 12:50 pm 

How does the deck do if someone takes you off your general?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-28 12:53 pm 

Rasalom wrote:

So far that has happened twice. One time it was miserable! lol. Thus the idea to include Rune-Scarred Demon or a Demonic Tutor to retrieve her from the deck if she ever does get lost.

I also enjoyed one event of turning her into an Artifact with Liquimetal Coating and sacced her to a sac outlet to avoid a chaos warp.

Perhaps it would be worthwhile to add High Market to my deck to dodge tucks even more frequently.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-28 1:04 pm 

CanadianCole wrote:
Rasalom wrote:

So far that has happened twice. One time it was miserable! lol. Thus the idea to include Rune-Scarred Demon or a Demonic Tutor to retrieve her from the deck if she ever does get lost.

I also enjoy have turned her into an Artifact with Liquimetal Coating and sacced her to a sac outlet.

Perhaps it would be worthwhile to add High Market to my deck to dodge tucks even more frequently.

Well, in the colors you are playing, you could also consider some flicker effects, blue and white have quite alot. They would serve as General protection as well as another use for ETB effects or to remove problems depending on the ones you choose.

Plus, you are missing the two bounce artifacts Erratic Portal and Crystal Shard that are both offensive and defensive.. might want a Cloud Key,

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-28 1:10 pm 

Rasalom wrote:
CanadianCole wrote:
Rasalom wrote:

I also enjoy have turned her into an Artifact with Liquimetal Coating and sacced her to a sac outlet.

Well, in the colors you are playing, you could also consider some flicker effects, blue and white have quite alot. They would serve as General protection as well as another use for ETB effects or to remove problems depending on the ones you choose.

Plus, you are missing the two bounce artifacts Erratic Portal and Crystal Shard that are both offensive and defensive.. might want a Cloud Key,

Great suggestions! I had Crystal Shard in the pile of cards I was considering...and I have a copy of Erratic Protal in another deck I would just have to transfer it over. Thanks for the suggestions. Mind if I ask for some thoughts about what should be cut?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-28 1:45 pm 

I would cut the following...
Sangromancer - recuring/ flickering/ replaying your filigree angel does this way better.
Thopter Assembly - for the cost and then waiting the turn, you can do better if you want tokens
Acorn Catapult - just bad... not very useful, and doesn't synergize with the deck.
Caltrops - hurts you if you are attacking with tokens
Skeleton Shard - like you said, sometimes, does nothing.
Ward of Bones - better options
Torpor Orb - you can abuse ETB effects with this deck.. so why don't you?
Curse of the Swine (Fun card :P) - perhaps, but why help your enemies instead of another wrath?
Roar of Reclamation - then start abusing Sharum
Blue Sun's Zenith (Card Draw) - Not good enough-- get some artifact card draw. Where is your Mind's Eye for this spot?
Return to Dust (Spot Removal) - for these three cards, get some artifact spot removal. some thing you can reuse. If not, I suggest you get a Elixir of Immortality.. which you might want anyways.

Plus I noticed that you didn't include Academy Ruins in your land list.
Also, if you want thopter beat down, and in this deck you could probably pull it off.. you might want to run Sharding Sphinx. I know you don't like DBAG cards, but with the afore mentioned sphinx out, and a few attacking creatures you could do wonders with Time Sieve. I don't think even the most hard core combo hater could fault you for going infinite turns with thopter beatdown... :twisted:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-28 1:50 pm 

Rasalom wrote:
I would cut the following...
Sangromancer - recuring/ flickering/ replaying your filigree angel does this way better.
Thopter Assembly - for the cost and then waiting the turn, you can do better if you want tokens
Acorn Catapult - just bad... not very useful, and doesn't synergize with the deck.
Caltrops - hurts you if you are attacking with tokens
Skeleton Shard - like you said, sometimes, does nothing.
Ward of Bones - better options
Torpor Orb - you can abuse ETB effects with this deck.. so why don't you?
Curse of the Swine (Fun card :P) - perhaps, but why help your enemies instead of another wrath?
Roar of Reclamation - then start abusing Sharum
Blue Sun's Zenith (Card Draw) - Not good enough-- get some artifact card draw. Where is your Mind's Eye for this spot?
Return to Dust (Spot Removal) - for these three cards, get some artifact spot removal. some thing you can reuse. If not, I suggest you get a Elixir of Immortality.. which you might want anyways.

Plus I noticed that you didn't include Academy Ruins in your land list.
Also, if you want thopter beat down, and in this deck you could probably pull it off.. you might want to run Sharding Sphinx. I know you don't like DBAG cards, but with the afore mentioned sphinx out, and a few attacking creatures you could do wonders with Time Sieve. I don't think even the most hard core combo hater could fault you for going infinite turns with thopter beatdown... :twisted:

I like all of your suggestions except Caltrops and Acorn Catapult cuts. The reason it goes with my strategy...is because Sydri can turn them into creatures and give them deathtouch lifelink.

Acorn Catapult becomes a 4/4 Artifact creature with the ability to pay (1) tap to deal deal 1 damage and (deathtouch) kill that creature. it's controller replaces it with a 1/1 squirrel toklen.

You are right but I would rarely attack with 1/1 tokens with this deck...if you animate caltrops in responce to an opponents attacking army, and give caltrops deathtouch..all attacking creatures die.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-28 1:57 pm 

Fair enough. Oh I also just noticed that you don't have Karn, Silver Golem in your deck. If the deck idea is to be able to animate artifacts, then he is a must have... and works with your general too. In the vein of poke/ deathtouch.. have you considered Triskelion? Works well with the mechanic, is very recurable, and is a nice beat stick.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-28 2:02 pm 

Oh yea... not to tell you how to run your deck.. but an old trick I used to pull with Karn would work with her too... Someone attacks you with an equipped creature... animate the equipment and it drops off. Most people don't realize you can do that... :lol:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-28 2:39 pm 

Rasalom wrote:
Oh yea... not to tell you how to run your deck.. but an old trick I used to pull with Karn would work with her too... Someone attacks you with an equipped creature... animate the equipment and it drops off. Most people don't realize you can do that... :lol:

I was aware of that. In fact on the Decklist thread my Deck title is "Your Sword grew legs." lol

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-03 1:57 pm 

CanadianCole wrote:
Rasalom wrote:

I was aware of that. In fact on the Decklist thread my Deck title is "Your Sword grew legs." lol

What if it grew tenticles? Or arms? or Fins? Sheesh... it's not all about legs you know! :lol:

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-05 9:54 pm 

Akroma's Memorial can also be a problem. Remember that it grants protection from black--meaning Sydri can't give her newly animated troopers the lifelink/deathtouch setup anymore.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-08 2:39 pm 

Since you have access to consistent lifegain, you may consider a few non-artifacts to leverage this advantage:

Vizkopa Guildmage
Sanguine Bond
Archangel of Thune

Just a thought. Allows you to build in a few more synergies possibly, alternate win-cons etc.

Offline Profile