Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-18 3:00 am

Post subject: Thrax Control
AgePosted: 2014-Feb-24 10:33 am 

My deck is meant to be able to be a strong 1 v 1 deck, yet still be able to hold it's own in a multiplayer game. Any card suggestions or thoughts on cards in the deck would be welcome

Current deck will always be shown here

Thrax Attacks - Current 1 v 1 list

Lands: 40

Want: Crystal Shard

Maybeboard/Multiplayer mode shift

Animar
Teysa, Orzhov Scion

Last edited by shaboogamoo on 2014-Apr-01 10:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Thrax Control
AgePosted: 2014-Feb-24 12:20 pm 

Apparently it's Thraximundar week!

It looks like you're going for a general-purpose/good-stuff control build... if that's the case, you've got a few curious omissions, like Demonic Tutor and Cyclonic Rift. The list is also light on artifact removal and graveyard hate, which isn't great 'cause artifacts and recursion are really powerful in Commander. Again, a couple more staples like Vandalblast or Nihil Spellbomb will shore you up there.

I don't really like Thoughtseize or Sinkhole. The single-card discard effects are decent early in the game, but you don't have a way to find it early consistently, and it's a pretty bad top-deck later in the game. I'm not in love with single-target LD spells either; most of the time I'd rather have either more LD lands (like Tectonic Edge or Wasteland) or a more broadly focused card like Wrecking Ball.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-24 12:29 pm 

Sinkhole is on its way out, and forgot about the rift - its there :D. this list is what I have, Mindbreak trap, trickbind, reset, and shadow of doubt in the mail for this. Was thinking of running rakdos charm, and Wrecking Ball is definitely a good idea. Any cards you think are particularly weak? The thoughtseize is only for when I play 1v1. do you think its not so good there?

Animar
Teysa, Orzhov Scion

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-24 3:21 pm 

shaboogamoo wrote:
Sinkhole is on its way out, and forgot about the rift - its there :D. this list is what I have, Mindbreak trap, trickbind, reset, and shadow of doubt in the mail for this. Was thinking of running rakdos charm, and Wrecking Ball is definitely a good idea. Any cards you think are particularly weak? The thoughtseize is only for when I play 1v1.

You don't really have any cards that are bad... Grixis Charm is probably less good than others... besides that, it's up to you. Since the deck doesn't have a strong theme that it's built around, the choice between various good cards is a matter of personal preference.

shaboogamoo wrote:
do you think its not so good there?

It's ok in 1v1, but if I was gonna play it, I'd run it alongside Duress, Inquisition of Kozilek, Blackmail, and maybe Cabal Therapy. I'd also run some filter effects like Thirst for Knowledge, Desolate Lighthouse, or Faithless Looting, so if you draw one late game, you have a chance to discard it for something better.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-24 11:14 pm 

Kemev wrote:
It's ok in 1v1, but if I was gonna play it, I'd run it alongside Duress, Inquisition of Kozilek, Blackmail, and maybe Cabal Therapy. I'd also run some filter effects like Thirst for Knowledge, Desolate Lighthouse, or Faithless Looting, so if you draw one late game, you have a chance to discard it for something better.

Desolate Lighthouse is one that's in there, Faithless Looting is one I forgot about, not sure where I'd fit it, and yeah you're right about the hand disruption, it's really only been good early game, and it's not worth running enough to make it consistent. I'm thinking that Perilous Research might be good for the deck

Animar
Teysa, Orzhov Scion

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-03 7:03 pm 

Does anyone think trap cards would be good in the deck?
for Trapmaker's Snare and the grixis trap cards like Inferno Trap, Lavaball Trap, Mindbreak Trap, Nemesis Trap, Ravenous Trap, Ricochet Trap, Stone Idol Trap, Whiplash Trap

Animar
Teysa, Orzhov Scion

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-08 3:12 pm 

I've built Thraximundar a long time ago, and I've mentioned this in the Skullbriar thread, but recursion to manage Thraximundar's cost is almost a must. Thraximundar is devastating because of haste and his fast clock. You can pinch opponents really badly by having ways to return or bounce Thrax to hand when they try to remove him, especially once you've hit 8-9 mana. Lots of decks just can't handle that kind of continuous pressure.

The idea is to use the Command Zone only as the emergency back up zone, when you can't get him back to hand from other zones.

E.g. you swing with Thrax, opponents round, they Wrath. Instead of Thrax going to the Commander zone, you respond with Crystal Shard and bounce him to your hand. Your turn comes up, you swing with Thrax again. No Commander tax burden to worry about (which gets unruly quick in these colours).

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-08 3:18 pm 

Pysces wrote:
I've built Thraximundar a long time ago, and I've mentioned this in the Skullbriar thread, but recursion to manage Thraximundar's cost is almost a must. Thraximundar is devastating because of haste and his fast clock. You can pinch opponents really badly by having ways to return or bounce Thrax to hand when they try to remove him, especially once you've hit 8-9 mana. Lots of decks just can't handle that kind of continuous pressure.

The idea is to use the Command Zone only as the emergency back up zone, when you can't get him back to hand from other zones.

E.g. you swing with Thrax, opponents round, they Wrath. Instead of Thrax going to the Commander zone, you respond with Crystal Shard and bounce him to your hand. Your turn comes up, you swing with Thrax again. No Commander tax burden to worry about (which gets unruly quick in these colours).

With this deck the idea is to more just control the board until you can cast Thrax with mana up to to protect him with counter spells or one of the few bounce effects it runs. I've made a few changes to this list since I posted, and I'm not sure where I could find room for that artifact now.

Animar
Teysa, Orzhov Scion

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-08 3:25 pm 

Shard was just an example.

The upside to including the strategy I outlined in conjunction with your own is resilience. Why necessarily protect what you can just mercilessly recast anyway? Haste is such a massive factor for Thrax, it wants to be abused. The strategies compliment each other, not work against, because you're forcing opponents to deal with two different angles of attack, instead of one.

It doesn't have to be a lot of cards, just a few swaps here and there. I'm sure I can find some low opportunity cost ones to consider that won't drastically warp your lists goals.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-08 3:27 pm 

The problem I've found is that in multiplayer games it needs the hyper dense control package to not get hated out, and in 1v1 there's not much room for something that's not dealing with threats. Is there something like that that has another mode?

Animar
Teysa, Orzhov Scion

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-08 3:43 pm 

shaboogamoo wrote:
The problem I've found is that in multiplayer games it needs the hyper dense control package to not get hated out, and in 1v1 there's not much room for something that's not dealing with threats. Is there something like that that has another mode?

My gut tells me it's the other way around. You're getting hated out because of your hyper dense control package, and you think the way to solve that is to make it more dense, such that you can 'control' everything. This is fine in 1v1, but in multiplayer, you'll never be dense enough. Archenemy is tough for any list to handle.

Your list is oppressive to play against. That's not a bad thing, that's what the list is trying to do, and what you want it to do. It's just sort of a 1 trick counterspell pony.

You're shut down hard by cards like City of Solitude, Cavern of Souls, Boseiju, Who Shelters All, Vexing Shusher. etc.

You can still be oppressively in control without relying on counterspells.

The benefit to Thrax is that to do what he does (kill people), his biggest weakness is instant speed removal. That's the stuff you need to stop with your counter magic. The sorcery speed stuff? Ignore, especially the Wraths, they actually help you. Ignore and just recast him next turn (the benefit of haste). To do so, you just need to find ways to manage his cost.

You're only concern to 'win' is swinging with Thrax every turn you feasibly can.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Mar-24 8:13 am 

Quote:
Your list is oppressive to play against. That's not a bad thing, that's what the list is trying to do, and what you want it to do. It's just sort of a 1 trick counterspell pony.

You're shut down hard by cards like City of Solitude, Cavern of Souls, Boseiju, Who Shelters All, Vexing Shusher. etc.

You can still be oppressively in control without relying on counterspells.

I was thinking of adding a thicker discard package, I'm really thinking waste not (when it comes out) could add another win con for the deck. But is there any bounce similar to crystal shard? Something on stick would actually be quite good, but that one seems like it'd only help me in bouncing Thrax.

Animar
Teysa, Orzhov Scion

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-01 9:55 am 

Quote:

I've switched it over to a more discard control deck, I'm thinking waste not might be a really good alternate win con soon. You think so?

Animar
Teysa, Orzhov Scion

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-03 6:34 am 

How good has Daze been? In my experience, cards like that are increasingly worse as the game goes as your opponents have enough mana not to be tapping out unless they pour everything into an X spell.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Apr-03 1:56 pm 

Wayne Viktorius wrote:
How good has Daze been? In my experience, cards like that are increasingly worse as the game goes as your opponents have enough mana not to be tapping out unless they pour everything into an X spell.

I've tried it only a few times, sometimes it's good, but I'm thinking of putting something like faithless looting in it's spot.

Animar
Teysa, Orzhov Scion

Offline Profile