Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Sep-18 4:00 am

Post subject: Karrthus, Beater of Face
AgePosted: 2013-Mar-28 9:24 am 

Karrthus dragon tribal deck. Points for originality: 0.

General:
Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund

Creatures (23):
Dragonmaster Outcast
Dragonspeaker Shaman
Scourge of Valkas
Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury
Stormbreath Dragon
Steel Hellkite
Mana-Charged Dragon
Moonveil Dragon
Hoard-Smelter Dragon
Dragon Broodmother
Kokusho, the Evening Star
Hellkite Tyrant
Dragon Mage
Balefire Dragon
Imperial Hellkite
Bladewing the Risen
Kilnmouth Dragon
Atarka, World Render
Hellkite Overlord
Scourge of Kher Ridges
Bogardan Hellkite
Utvara Hellkite
Dragon Tyrant

Artifacts (12):
Sol Ring
Mana Vault
Gruul Signet
Rakdos Signet
Golgari Signet
Crystal Ball
Urza's Incubator
Darksteel Ingot
Gilded Lotus
Belbe's Portal
Dreamstone Hedron
Spine of Ish Sah

Enchantments (8):
Necrogenesis
Underworld Connections
Crucible of Fire
Frontier Siege
Stranglehold
Mana Reflection
Lurking Predators
Dragon Roost

Sorceries (14):
Hull Breach
Regrowth
Kodama's Reach
Cultivate
Sever the Bloodline
Diabolic Tutor
Increasing Ambition
Crux of Fate
Living Death
Death by Dragons
Violent Ultimatum
Tooth and Nail
Insurrection
Genesis Wave

Planeswalkers (2):
Sarkhan Vol
Sarkhan the Mad
Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker

Lands (39):
Command Tower
Darigaaz's Caldera
Savage Lands
Rupture Spire
Graven Cairns
Fire-Lit Thicket
Twilight Mire
Blood Crypt
Overgrown Tomb
Stomping Ground
Gruul Turf
Golgari Rot Farm
Rakdos Carnarium
Wooded Foothills
Bloodstained Mire
Temple of Malady
Temple of Abandon
Temple of Malice
Bojuka Bog
High Market
Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
Barren Moor
Forgotten Cave
Tranquil Thicket
Evolving Wilds
Terramorphic Expanse
Kessig Wolf Run
Grim Backwoods
2 Swamp
3 Forest
6 Mountain

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Last edited by Sid the Chicken on 2015-Mar-09 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Karrthus, Beater of Face
AgePosted: 2013-Mar-29 2:22 am 

I believe your deck has the same problem as my deck in his first original built: it has too many dragons and, consequently, too many cards with a high converted mana cost. You will spend the first few turns doing nothing but accelerating, then you'll reach a peak of awesomeness where you'll cast three or four dragons, and then you will run out of gas and ultimately go on topdeck mode. Dragons are known for setting things on fire, but not by causing a line of defense or their degree of interactivity. If a player is somehow able to deal with them (for example, if he casts Akroma, Angel of Wrath or Avacyn, Angel of Hope, or is playing blue) even if you can give them haste, you're screwed.

Ultimately I removed many of those dragons, in part because many of them weren't performing as expected (incredibly, Kokusho, the Evening Star was one of them), and because it was getting hard for me to keep up with the fastest decks (ex: Edric, Spymaster of Trest). I replaced them with very efficient and low-cost removal spells (ex: Decimate, Oblivion Stone) because I want to stay on theme, as in, dragons do love to burn things down! Also, I changed my strategy a little. Now my purpose is to wait for my opponents to run out of resources (not doing shit and watch them kill each other while I sit back with an untapped Mystifying Maze is a good strategy!), particularly removal spells, then you cast your hasty dragons and attack for the win!

From my experience, dragons are very efficient finishers, mostly because they are big and can fly but very poor at interacting (other than burning your opponents' weaker monsters). So the most efficient way for you to use Karrthus is to "burn" your opponents' interactive cards first, and then finish them off while they are defenseless :wink:

Name: Enraged Wilds
General: Marath, Will of the Wild
Archetype: Aggro-Control

Name: Draconic Domination
General: The Ur-Dragon
Archetype: Midrange

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Mar-30 5:21 am 

I tend to agree with most of Maluko's points. Straight dragon tribal never worked well for me. I found it far more efficient to run at least some support creatures and ways to cheat them in to play quickly. Cards like Sneak Attack and Defense of the Heart help a great deal there, although it looks you are going pretty budget. Dragonspeaker Shaman and Zirilan of the Claw can also speed things up a little.

You can also get some mileage out of effects that let you sac your dragons to recover some of your losses. Greater Good and Momentous Fall are both very good instant speed responses to help you recover from the inevitable removal you will face. Also, Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord and Disciple of Bolas.

I'm not a big fan of Malfegor, as I almost never wanted to actually play him because the hit to my hand was too severe. If you need wrath effects, consider something like Chain Reaction, Blasphemous Act, or even Comet Storm. All of those are pretty cheap and deal with clogged boards while you set up the thunder lizards. Living Death and Patriarch's Bidding are also favorites of mine.

A link to my old Karthus list is in my sig. It was retired, but I recently rebuilt him after Kokusho was given new life in the format. I should probably get around to posting the current list.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-09 2:32 pm 

So this list has changed a bunch since I first posted it. Khans block has a been a huge boon for it, with many new cards making quite a difference. Frontier Siege in particular was fantastic the first time I got to use it. I was using the "All my dragons fight your stuff when they ETB" mode, and I'm sure the mana-producing mode would be awesome as well. I love the fact that this is a legit turn sequence;
T1: Land, Sol Ring
T2: Land, Frontier Siege, Signet
T3: Karrthus - RAWR!

Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury + Dragon Broodmother gets out of hand REALLY quickly as well.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-11 2:07 am 

I love it when old posts pop back up. I was reading my previous reply above and found myself nodding along, without even realizing it was MY post. :facepalm:

I have been making a few updates to my list as well, with Frontier Siege and Crux of Fate (obviously) coming in from FRF. I'll be adding a few DTK cards as well, once the set drops. While the elder dragons in this shard do not excite me, Thunderbreak Regent and Dragon Tempest will probably be going right in.

How have the mana rocks and cost reducers been treating you? I typically find traditional ramp more appealing in green decks.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-11 2:51 pm 

iccarus wrote:
How have the mana rocks and cost reducers been treating you? I typically find traditional ramp more appealing in green decks.

Pretty well thus far.

iccarus wrote:
While the elder dragons in this shard do not excite me, Thunderbreak Regent and Dragon Tempest will probably be going right in.

I'm on the fence on new Atarka. She's big and tramply, and the damage is nice, but not super exciting.

New Kolaghan, however, I'm sold on. The haste aspect is good enough on its own, despite the other ability being rarely relevant in this format.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-11 3:13 pm 

Looks solid.

Did you give any thought to the Fires of Yavimaya type cards?

What are your thoughts on Scourge of the Throne?

Perfect time to bust the Karrthus deck back out. Cheers.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-11 11:48 pm 

YawgsAgenda510 wrote:
Did you give any thought to the Fires of Yavimaya type cards?

You mean like the general? Karrthus has your Fires of Yavimaya right here...
YawgsAgenda510 wrote:
What are your thoughts on Scourge of the Throne?

I would totally run it if I had one. I've actually had other people play SotT when I was running this deck (for reasons I still don't fully understand). Good times.

Offline Profile