Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Oct-16 6:47 pm

Post subject: Re: THIS! IS! AKROS!!!
AgePosted: 2014-Oct-08 9:07 am 

Don't quite agree with some of the latest removals.

Hundred-handed One does not sound like it's doing enough (non-flying vigilance, with a big butt? So what?)

And you've now reduced the number of enchantments dramatically. Is the Sole remaining eidolon, of countless battles fame, still pulling it's weight now?

I'd be tempted to go godsend (for the exile effect), or inquisitor's flail.

I also think removing the cheapos Porcelain Legionnaire but especially student of warfare, is a mistake. SoW is, for 8 mana, a 4/4 double striker, compared to HH1's 10 mana for a 6/8 vigilance reach? SoW can be played early or late, and is always relevant to the strategy you are trying to follow.

Ride down seems good

Cheers.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-08 11:12 am 

I may have been doing something wrong, but Student was performing very badly for me. Essentially, until I put those 8 mana into it, it wasn't doing anything and the mana would be far more useful if I spent it on something else. As for Porcelain, that's the one card I can see returning someday. Right now, it made room for newcomers.

The number of enchantments is of no importance to me. Segrus plays his A/C into Aura theme, but I do not. Those two Eidolons proved too expensive to be included. Again, the mana is far better spent elsewhere. EoCB remains, since its bestow cost is reasonable for its effect and it actually does what it's meant to do: enchant the general, trigger heroic, then remain there as a buff and wrath insurance.

Equipment doesn't trigger heroic, so I don't include it. Godsend and Flail are also both too expensive. I run Infiltration Lens, since it put my opponents in a VERY bad spot and is dirt-cheap to use and Livewire Lash, because it essentially adds a heroic trigger of its own.

See, both the Eidolons and Equipment have tough competition in this deck. I could cast and equip Godsend for 4WW, or I could cast Madcap Skills for 1R and get a bigger effect by doing so.

I kinda agree with you on the Hundred-Handed One, but I consider him a somewhat useful pet card. I've certainly mostrified him way more often than I got Student to level 7.

In my late teens I was a Spike.
In my 20's I was a Johnny.
Now, I just like to play.
'Active decks' list here.
Currently hiring servants for my palace, made from my own walls of text.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-08 12:29 pm 

But there was very little left that has heroic?

Godsend to me is more about reusable exile. Just something I've come to appreciate.

And going monstrous with HH1 more often that double strike with SoW is just wierd. :D

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-09 8:01 am 

I have only two heroic creatures now, it's true. But one of them is the general and that's all that matters. I wrote in an earlier update that I threw other heroic creatures out for the crime of not being Anax and Cymede. The spells I use to trigger it are useful by themselves, even if I don't have my generals on the field. Tested ;)

I understand the value Godsend brings to the table, but I don't run it for pretty much the same reasons I threw out Sunforger and Student of Warfare: I just don't have enough free mana for them. All those cards don't do anything when I cast them. They sit and devour more and more mana until something finally happens. That might be okay in a slow or even a midrange deck, but not here.

You find it strange I almost never leveled the Student up to the max. For one, if the game was a duel, it may have been because by the time I would achieve that, the opponent was already dead, because I used my mana more effectively. Godsend may have the whole fancy exile thing going for it, but it still only gives +3/+3. Madcap Skills gives the same attack bonus, the defense bonus doesn't matter because first strike and instead of removing a blocker it actually makes block more difficult in the first place. And for 4 less mana. And it triggers heroic.

Even in a multiplayer game, I'd still take Madcap Skills and brothers over Godsend, because they allow me to do some quick damage before the game stabilizes, making my position much better in the long run, since I have more options to make a surprise kill.

Also, in more than one game, the thing that made the difference in the end was the fact that HH1 (great acronym, BTW :D) gains reach when mostrous. You know: "Yeah, yeah, you attack me with your two dragons... Monstrosity, block both, double strike to the Giant, both dragons die." True story.

Many thanks for the input, BTW! You really got me thinking about my choices and that's never a bad thing.

Last edited by Antis on 2015-Jan-21 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-09 10:57 pm 

Yeah, I'm the sorry bloke trying to make the enchantments work (it's definitely not as solid as this deck is).

Hey! Godsend is totally down in price from where I last remembered it. I may need to find me a few of them now... >.>

Honestly, activating Heroic on Anax/Cymede is all that matters. You include other Heroic creatures only if you want to be entirely themed. Even without a mob to help out Anax/Cymede, the trample is glorious enough on its own.

I would still consider Godsend, but that's because I think the effect is just too good to pass up too often. I just don't currently have any suggestions on what to take out.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Oct-12 10:02 am 

Minor tweak:

-Ogre Battledriver

+Lightning Mauler

OB was bugging me for some time now by not doing what I'd expected of it. I never really used its ability and I believe the reason for this is that it occupies a very unfortunate spot on the mana curve in this deck. If I cast A/C on turn three, I don't want to spend all my mana on turn four on a creature that does nothing to help my tempo game at that point. I want to be dealing damage in the early game to put my opponents into a danger zone where I'll be able to lash out and finish them at a later time and this card literally stops that at the most critical of times.

I hope LM will become what OB never was - an on-curve haste provider that itself benefits from and contributes to the strategy of the deck as a whole. I'm actually considering Stonewright for the very same reason, but I haven't yet decided what to cut for him.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-09 5:38 am 

IT CALLS YOUR NAME.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-09 8:30 am 

Flickering Ward

You're welcome.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-09 9:03 am 

Epsilon wrote:
Flickering Ward

You're welcome.

It's a good card, but I'm wondering what Antis would actually pull out for it. His deck isn't exactly in a position to take full advantage of enchantments.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-09 11:00 am 

Segrus wrote:
Epsilon wrote:
Flickering Ward

You're welcome.

It's a good card, but I'm wondering what Antis would actually pull out for it. His deck isn't exactly in a position to take full advantage of enchantments.

Pretty much anything. It triggers prowess on all the prowess guys and heroic as well. Repeatedly for WW. Every turn. Plus the whole unblockable/protection that is all but impossible to permanently remove short of a counter/kill in response. Easily the best heroic trigger in my own anax deck.

You really don't need anything else to take advantage of it as his general does it by default. Although it does get out of hand if you're using it along with Sigil of the Empty Throne or other enchantment shenanegans... but that's another deck entirely.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-21 12:41 am 

Segrus wrote:

IT CALLS YOUR NAME.
So true :)

I have to put it in as soon as I get to it. I also opened a Monastery Mentor at the prerelease, but I'm torn which deck needs it more - this or Ephara.

I have FW in my maybeboard, but haven't found a slot for it yet and I want to add more double strike first, anyway. Maybe later.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Jan-21 12:53 am 

Antis wrote:
I have FW in my maybeboard, but haven't found a slot for it yet and I want to add more double strike first, anyway. Maybe later.

Maybe it's just the mana involved in bouncing/replaying (instead of using that mana to further pump or grant double strike), plus seeming to be wasted when you'll already have trample, that has me wondering if it's best for your build.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2015-Mar-14 8:29 am 

UPDATE 3/14/15:

-Faith's Reward (not enough free mana)
-Scourge of the Nobilis (not good enough)
-Bestial Fury (may bring back later)
-Hammer of Purphoros (trying to replace cards with no immediate impact on board, we'll see how it plays out)
-Fervor (ditto)
-Ride Down (love the card, unfortunately it doesn't target my creature)
-Quest for Pure Flame (didn't work out)
-Seer's Sundial (too mana intensive)
-Dragon-Style Twins (replaced with something cheaper)
-Herald of Anafenza (outlast sucks)
-Plains (Panorama yay! :))

+Battle Mastery (1...)
+Double Cleave (2...)
+Fencing Ace (3...DOUBLE STRIKE!!!)
+Monastery Swiftspear (this card is so awesome :))
+Valorous Stance (I hope the versatility is good enough)
+Latulla's Orders (seems good, flash and all that; gives the deck some more reach)
+Goblinslide (Swiftspear is proving to be very good, let's try some tokens next)
+Hordeling Outburst (efficiency!)
+Ghitu Firebreathing (testing...)
+Temur Battle Rage (testing...)
+Naya Panorama (fixing is good, right?)

Haven't tested the changes much yet, but I'd like to specifically mention Monastery Swiftspear for being FREAKING AWESOME!!! In one game, I dropped her, then A/C on turn 3, then Madcap Skills and Murder Investigation on my generals on turn 4 and just by the way, Swiftspear got to 5/6 trample... So. Good :twisted:

Offline Profile