All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Dec-12 1:44 pm

Post subject: Vorel’s Poison-Charge Experiment [UB Combo-Infect]
AgePosted: 2014-Jan-17 9:40 am 

Vorel’s Poison-Charge Experiment

Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Quote:
"I used to hurl rocks and eat scraps of meat burned over a fire. Look at what I've become and tell me Simic does not hold infinite possibility."

Image Image Image
Image Image Image

Quote:
Weird Science!

High voltage plays, mysterious oozes, strange monsters, and deadly venom. Welcome to the mad scientist's Poison-Charge Experiment! This deck has two aims -- combo out and/or kill with infect. My meta has a house rule where poison counters are equivocal to commander damage - 21 required for the kill. Using counter doubling enablers and proliferate, it's quite possible to trigger a win in a single turn.

More to come...

Quote:
My Meta

I generally play with a group of three other guys. Two of them I have been playing with for ~2 years, and the other is new to our circle (as well as the game). It is a casual group, though we play to win. We combo out on occasion, build ridiculous board states only to lose the game two turns later, and occasionally we are too wasted to remember to draw. We drink, we smoke, and we call each other names alluding to our inferior genetics and/or obscure sexual preferences. Typical guy's night out, kitchen-table shenanigans.

Player "X": This is me. Played when I was in elementary school, and just picked up the game again two years ago I am a Johnny, through and through. My "Good U/C" boxes are full of interesting cards, as well as time-tested staples. I read on other people's strategies before building decks, and will occasionally order 30+ cards because I've never played a specific archetype before. I love to combo out, or create vast armies of tokens. I play [mana]g[/mana] in almost every deck. I favor pillow forts over control, and I favor utility over strength. I don't win all my games, but it's usually splashy when I do.
Player X: Johnny, GWB, Combo/Token.

Player "N": Long-time player, occasional standard FNM or Modern tourney. He's our Spike. He plays blue and/or black in every deck. Grixis is no stranger to our table. He has the largest, and most impressive collection at the table, and his decks show this He is my arch-nemesis, and has been for a while. We take most opportunities to stop the other in their tracks, regardless if they're the biggest threat at the time. He favors hard removal, well-timed sweepers, and counter-spells.
Player N: Spike, UBR, Removal/Counters.

Player "J": My former roommate, started playing about three months after I did. With a gracious donation of THOUSANDS of cards from a co-worker, we began cobbling together causal 60-cards deck to bring to our regular gathering. When Player N started playing EDH, so did we. He favors large creatures, splashy spells, and tends not to remove threats until they affect him directly. His favorite deck is Mayael, and he continuously looks for ways to improve it. He relies on packs for his staples, rarely making the trip to our LGS or ordering singles.
Player J: Timmy/Johnny, RGW, Fatties/High CMC.

Player "A": Brand-new player. No experience in constructed, started playing EDH with us a couple months ago using C13 pre-cons and donated staples. His card pool is narrow, new, and inexpensive. He is slowly learning the ropes, and we coach him as best we can. He gets to "redo" or "rethink" when needed. Prefers large effects and keeps to himself when playing. We try not to kick his teeth in too hard, unless absolutely necessary. Currently playing Jaleva and Derevi.
Player A: Ultra-Timmy, WUBRG, "It looked good."

Prized Specimens
Blightsteel Colossus: Truck-A-Saurus. If this guy hits the battlefield and doesn’t eat exile, it’s essentially game over. You can’t even be mad.

Gilder Bairn: This guy is a neat little trick, especially if you can find a way to tap him consistently. Just another reason I need Opposition. I have always had a love of this card, both for flavor, artwork, and function.

Prophet of Kruphix: My new favorite EDH card. Makes me want UG in every single deck. It’s like every single turn is my turn, too!

Trygon Predator: I always used to hate when this guy hit the field, because I wasn’t playing UG. Now that I am, I can’t get enough. He’s just such a good piece of removal, and built-in evasion.

Calibrated Instruments
Contagion Engine: All aboard the counter train! Choo-chooooo! With Doubling Season in play, this makes increasing charge counters a breeze.

Darksteel Reactor: This card is dumb. Unless it survives a cycle and I’m able to put 20 counters on it in one turn. Then it’s hilarious.

Lotus Blossom: Nothing feels better than juicing this up for 20+ mana, and then utilizing it to combo out. Such a wonderful enabler.

Staff of Domination: Swiss Army Knife of the MTG world. This card wins me just about every game. It’s a draw engine, it’s a tap/untapper, it’s limitless life. Gotta love it.

Brilliant Calculations
Clockspinning: With enough mana, this will win you the game. Nothing like dumping 40+ mana into buybacks and cranking over Darksteel Reactor into a win. Such a neat trick.

Inexorable Tide: I love to proliferate. I love to cast spells. This makes it all happen. Stack this with Doubling Season and you’ve got counters for days.

Voidslime : The best counterspell ever. The versatility to stop anything and everything.

Rite of Replication: This card is value-town. Duplicate my wins, or find a great target on my opponent’s board. No better clone than a 5x clone.

Expansive Labspace
Alchemist’s Refuge: Flashy-flash-flash, I love flash.

Inkmoth Nexus: Infect body on a land? Yes, please!

Rogue’s Passage: Wonderful for getting that Blightsteel past a chump blocker. Really a game-winner in the right circumstance.

Changelog
None Yet…

** Vorel’s Poison-Charge Experiment [UG Combo-Infect]
** Skeleton Ship Sails the Scrying Seas [UB Sea Monster Jank]

TappedOut: ErantyInt

Last edited by Eran on 2014-Jan-17 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Vorel’s Poison-Charge Experiment [UB Combo-Infect]
AgePosted: 2014-Jan-17 1:36 pm 

Random thoughts:

I have found Vigor to be very useful with Infect creatures.

Also, Forgotten Ancient seems good for your whole plan.

Lastly, Predatory Focus seems like a solid finisher.

Color Pie Project

White: Rune-Tail, Kitsune Ascendant
Blue: Braids, Conjurer Adept
Black: Anowon, the Ruin Sage
Red: Kumano, Master Yamabushi
Green: Omnath, Locus of Mana

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-17 1:47 pm 

Eran wrote:
Contagion Engine: All aboard the counter train! Choo-chooooo! Couple this with Staff of Domination, and you can go from one poison counter to ten, all in one turn.

I guess I don't see it... how does that work? Do you make contagion engine a creature and then untap it with the staff? Your general only doubles counters on permanents, right? Not players?

Glint-Eye Nephilim (combat tricks, card draw, & creature pump)
Oloro Upkeep Tribal (enchantment-based control)
and more:Decklists

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-17 4:21 pm 

mmcgeach wrote:
Eran wrote:
Contagion Engine: All aboard the counter train! Choo-chooooo! Couple this with Staff of Domination, and you can go from one poison counter to ten, all in one turn.

I guess I don't see it... how does that work? Do you make contagion engine a creature and then untap it with the staff? Your general only doubles counters on permanents, right? Not players?

I was sort of half-asleep while writing out descriptions, and you're correct, it does not work with Staff. Also, I am aware that Vorel does not increase poison counters, he's just sort of a lubricant in the deck. It can really run without him, he just helps speed things up.

I am considering running Filigree Sages to act as a Staff for non-creatures.

** Vorel’s Poison-Charge Experiment [UG Combo-Infect]
** Skeleton Ship Sails the Scrying Seas [UB Sea Monster Jank]

TappedOut: ErantyInt

Offline Profile