Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-11 8:30 am

Post subject: Dosan the Falling Leaf or "Bearpocalypse" or "Bearmageddon"
AgePosted: 2014-Jan-09 2:23 pm 

You know what doesn't see much play in EDH, let alone MTG in general? One of the cards that has been there since the beginning, slowly biding its time. Other crappy cards from back then at least benefit from having a better creature type. When's the last time someone in MTG died due to Grizzly Bears? Well the wait is over; it's time for my opponents to suffer a Grizzly Fate for the "Bearpocalypse" has descended upon them! (Yes, I have used the Grizzly Fate line IRL)

General:
Dosan the Falling Leaf

Artifacts:
Ashnod's Altar
Elixir of Immortality
Emerald Medallion
Expedition Map
Moss Diamond
Planar Portal
Ring of Immortals
Rocket Launcher
Sensei's Divining Top
Sol Ring
Temple Bell
Torpor Orb

Creatures:
Ashcoat Bear
Balduvian Bears
Bear Cub
Caller of the Claw
Druid's Familiar
Forest Bear
Golden Bear
Grizzly Bears
Pale Bears
Razorclaw Bear
Riftsweeper
River Bear
Runeclaw Bear
Spectral Bears
Striped Bears
Ulvenwald Bear
Werebear

Enchantments:
Bearscape
Doubling Season
Fecundity
Gaea's Touch
Parallel Lives
Leyline of Vitality
Primal Vigor
Seal of Primordium
Storm Front
Sylvan Library
Words of Wilding

Enchant Worlds:
Concordant Crossroads

Instants:
Autumn's Veil
Back to Nature
Beast Within
Crop Rotation
Deglamer
Krosan Grip
Reap
Repopulate
Spring Cleaning

Sorceries:
Ancient Stirrings
Commune with the Gods
Creeping Corrosion
Desert Twister
Fade into Antiquity
Forgotten Lore
Gaea's Blessing
Grizzly Fate
Harmonize
hurricane
Kamahl's Summons
Nature's Spiral
Parallel Evolution
Reap and Sow
Recross the Paths
Regrowth
Sylvan Scrying
Woodland Guidance

Planeswalkers:
Garruk Wildspeaker

Lands:
Gaea's Cradle
havenwood Battleground
hollow Trees
Slippery Karst
Tranquil Thicket
Forest x 25

Yes, I have won with this. It is hilarious for all! The big combo of the deck is to have Ashnod's Altar + Fecundity + Doubling Season/Parallel Lives/Primal Vigor + Words of Wilding + a card draw effect (to start it off) = Eleventy Billion Bears! $Texas (Texas with a dollar sign) number of Bears! Who needs "real" numbers at that point? Highlights so far have been winning with a Bear-fueled Rocket Launcher, swinging with 5 2/2 Bear tokens, and with Balduvian Bears + Striped Bears + 8 2/2 Bear tokens.

The best thing is, the deck is so crappy otherwise that it's not worth messing with. "Going to Wrath of God my Grizzly Bears? Oh no!" (Said no one ever.) "Go ahead, steal my vanilla 2/2, which one do you want?" Hell, I've gotten awesome mileage out of both Pale Bears and River Bear. Many people seem to run some form of Island these days and whose going to waste a kill spell on a bear?!?

Cards that I still need to add (probably):
Creeping Corrosion
Back to Nature
Riftsweeper
Leyline of Vitality
Volrath's Laboratory?
Riptide Replicator?
Torpor Orb

Cards I took out (to make room for most of the above):
Feldon's Cane
Scarecrow
Filigree Fracture
Mystic Melting
Reclaim
Elven Cache
Journey of Discovery

Some more green/artifact tutor/card draw wouldn't hurt. Another kill card to dump mana into (not Goblin Cannon) that doesn't have sickness (Rocket Launcher is staying!) would be nice. Some more activated abilities that can be used around Dosan on opponents' turns wouldn't hurt either. Anything non-Bear related is pretty much fair game to be dropped/switched out within reason. So what do you all think?

Last edited by Evil_Lamp_6 on 2014-Jan-10 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Dosan the Falling Leaf or "Bearpocalypse" or "Bearmageddon"
AgePosted: 2014-Jan-09 2:34 pm 

Suffering a Grizzly Fate sounds unbearable.

It looks like you got all the bear cards (although I'm sleepy and my Gatherer-ing is probably off).

Reap is my new favorite card. I think it should go in every green deck (unless your group is averse to playing black cards). It's secretly a legal Ancestral Recall, except that you get to pick the cards you want.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-09 2:47 pm 

Reap only targets one opponent, so unless they are rolling in black permanents, I don't think it would be a great addition. If it worked for all opponents however...

And yes, let the Bear puns continue! Winning against this deck is impawsible!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-09 3:01 pm 

"This would never happen in Magic Online. I concede."

A quick question, is this solid Bear Tribal, or are you willing to include mechanical "Bears" as well, because you could probably double your creature count as you do. If its more 2/2s for 2, you should include Drudge Beetle, because it's a Bugbear.

Bladewing the Risen - MTG: Blood Dragon - OST by Powerglove
Dosan the Falling Leaf - Mono-Green Accelerator
Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter - Feed it to Vish
Toshiro Umezawa - Budget Creatureless
Prossh, Skyraider of Kher - Combo Jund
Marath, Will of the Wild - Beast-Mode Tribal
Scion of the Ur-Dragon - Mortal Combat Dredge
Kamahl & Jeska - Tag Team Voltron

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-09 3:04 pm 

Tribal Bears. A few other creatures are bearly tolerated, but most would be unbearable.

Edit: As of right now, the only non-Bears are Scarecrow, Caller of the Claw, and Dosan the Falling Leaf. I'm thinking of only adding one other, Riftsweeper, but I want to keep the non-bears to a bearable level.

Edit edit: Scarecrow may end up getting cut anyway depending on what suggestions I get. But I do like its ability. Fur sure.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-09 3:17 pm 

Evil_Lamp_6 wrote:
Reap only targets one opponent, so unless they are rolling in black permanents, I don't think it would be a great addition. If it worked for all opponents however...

You play Regrowth. About 80% of the time, Reap is a slightly wonky Regrowth, only with a giant potential upside.

Anyway, this avatar shenaniganry is no picnic, so I'm gonna bed down for a long winter's nap.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-09 3:29 pm 

Kemev wrote:
You play Regrowth. About 80% of the time, Reap is a slightly wonky Regrowth, only with a giant potential upside.

Anyway, this avatar shenaniganry is no picnic, so I'm gonna bed down for a long winter's nap.
Touche. I'll add it. I too am bear tired and must hibernate. My brain juices are flowing like honey.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-10 3:33 am 

Evil_Lamp_6 wrote:
I too am bear tired and must hibearnate.

fixed

and (stolen from another thread):
You have the bears, where's the arms? You have a right to bear arms... or... to arm bears?

Generals:
too many, and always changing... except:

Rakdos, Lord of Riots (Demon Tribal)
Melek, Izzet Paragon (Dragonstorm) -> these must stay because of a house rule

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-10 4:58 pm 

Thor_Naadoh wrote:
Evil_Lamp_6 wrote:
I too am bear tired and must hibearnate.

fixed

and (stolen from another thread):
You have the bears, where's the arms? You have a right to bear arms... or... to arm bears?

Fixed indeed. No Arms. I want people to lose to 2/2 Bears, not ∞/∞ Bears.

Edit: Made changes to the deck. Thoughts welcome.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-11 2:16 am 

It seems you have the bear necessities covered, but I have some suggestions.

I hope I'm not overbearing to say that I found one bear you are missing from your deck. Woodland Changeling. There are technically others, but they bearly count.

Especially with Theros out now, you may feel wary of those bearing gifts, so you could play Gift of the Gargantuan or Rofellos's Gift.

I imagine you've intentionally avoided adding artifacts to this deck, but if you wanted to run one, you could add Ursa's, err, I mean Urza's Incubator.

You have enough creatures that playing High Market might make it into a Bear Market, selling on your small creatures before they lose value. Bear in mind, you could also just use Claws of Gix.

She's not a bear, but with any luck Eternal Witness will not bear false witness.

I really want to see Drop of Honey in this deck, but since you will almost certainly always have the a lower power of creature than your opponent, I don't think that will bear out its own worth.

This is my new favorite thread. Being without puns is something that doesn't bear thinking about.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-11 3:20 am 

You'll have to bear with me as I explain myself in this post. I did have the Changeling set aside for the deck during construction, but as a matter of principle, I don't particularly bear good tidings towards Shapeshifters.

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but I had already rejected the Gift of the Gargantuan. There isn't any particular creature I'd like to get with it, and I have an almost overbearing amount of non-basic land fetch as it is. Ancient Stirrings and Commune with the Gods can both help dig for the combo pieces much better. Same reason I'm not running Worldly Tutor. Rofellos's Gift I had also set aside for the deck, and I think I would like to add it. What cuts must I bear to make it happen?

I don't mean to bear down on you, but I have actually intended this to be rather a rather artifact heavy deck, at least for a mono-green tribal bear deck. The Urza-tron were originally going to be included as well as the Incubator and a few others. I cut the lands for ones that work much better for the bear essentials of the deck for the moment and I also have not had any difficulties in bearing the costs of any of the, well, bears I play. The Incubator would be a wasted slot. Same with the Volrath's Laboratory and Riptide Replicator.

The Market is a bit too much of a load to bear as it is slow IMO and the Leyline I added does the job much better of getting the bear's share worth out of their value. Same with the Claws.

I must bear all here; I like Eternal Witness as much as the next green mage. With that all out on the load bearing table, I don't think I need any more return effects, the previously suggested Gift aside. I also don't want to have every EDH deck with green in it to all have the Witness. It would be too copy and paste and I find that unbearable.

I would love Drop of Honey for this deck, but as you beared in mind when you thought of it, I would bearly get any use out of it.

You certainly have given me much to maul over while I play today.

TL;DR: Bears!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-11 5:46 am 

Oh rats bears! I just thought of something else.

I was trying to think of a robot creature so that we could have Stephen Colbert's robot bears, but I couldn't think of any. Suddenly, Eurek-bear! I just remembered Adaptive Automaton, which can be an artifact creature bear, or if you prefer, a robot bear.

For anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about: http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/183051/june-13-2007/threatdown---robots

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-17 8:07 am 

Slate of Ancestry + Words of Wilding + Gaea's Cradle will double your bears every turn at the cost of discarding your hand - and if you want you can just draw a bajillion cards.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-17 4:30 pm 

I think Meekstone would do really well in here, especially since you have no real tribal pump effects. Bear-sized bears slide right under that pesky radar.

Also, I had a blast playing Hall of Gemstone in my Mono-G Ezuri deck. It may not work very well without rocks or mana dorks, but it's something to consider for mono-green protection. Similarly, you could also play CIty of Solitude for some protection.

** Vorel’s Poison-Charge Experiment [UG Combo-Infect]
** Skeleton Ship Sails the Scrying Seas [UB Sea Monster Jank]

TappedOut: ErantyInt

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-17 10:32 pm 

No robot bear. Sorry.

I did have a Slate of Ancestry set aside for the deck. The big question now is what to cut for it?

I had originally planned for Meekstone to be in the deck. I guess I forgot about along the way. What to cut for it?

I've always liked hall of Gemstone, but it does have a strike against it for this deck. It's an Enchant World and I already have Concordant Crossroads. I just know one of these games the Enchant World rules will be relevant and come around to screw me. Meh, what to cut for it too?

I like Dosan the Falling Leaf for the same reason I don't like City of Solitude, I can still use abilities off-turn with Dosan. And I'd like to think that I do okay in respect. I'll give it some more thought.

So what cuts can be made to accommodate these great suggestions?

Offline Profile