Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-15 9:03 am

Post subject: Ghave, Guru of Planeswalkers (with vids)
AgePosted: 2014-Jan-08 11:41 am 

So it was planeswalker week at PureMTGO recently, but I didn't want to build a 5 color planeswalker control deck. Instead, I came up with this:

Commander
1 Ghave, Guru of Spores

Creatures (11)
1 Academy Rector
1 Deathrite Shaman
1 Eternal Witness
1 Hornet Queen
1 Mentor of the Meek
1 Qasali Pridemage
1 Sakura-Tribe Elder
1 Scavenging Ooze
1 Selesnya Guildmage
1 Wood Elves
1 Yavimaya Elder

Artifacts (5)
1 Mana Crypt
1 Mimic Vat
1 Nevinyrral's Disk
1 Sol Ring
1 Skullclamp

Enchantments (10)
1 Attrition
1 Aura Shards
1 Awakening Zone
1 Blind Obedience
1 Cathars' Crusade
1 Doubling Season
1 Grave Pact
1 Necrogenesis
1 Phyrexian Arena
1 Sylvan Library

Instants (6)
1 Beast Within
1 Mortify
1 Path to Exile
1 Putrefy
1 Skeletal Scrying
1 Swords to Plowshares

Planeswalkers (17)
1 Ajani Goldmane
1 Ajani, Caller of the Pride
1 Elspeth Tirel
1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
1 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
1 Garruk Relentless
1 Garruk Wildspeaker
1 Garruk, Primal Hunter
1 Gideon Jura
1 Gideon, Champion of Justice
1 Karn Liberated
1 Liliana of the Dark Realms
1 Liliana of the Veil
1 Liliana Vess
1 Sorin Markov
1 Sorin, Lord of Innistrad
1 Vraska the Unseen

Sorceries (13)
1 Akroma's Vengeance
1 Austere Command
1 Crime/Punishment
1 Cultivate
1 Damnation
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Harmonize
1 Kodama's Reach
1 Martial Coup
1 Nature's Lore
1 Three Visits
1 Vindicate
1 Wrath of God

Lands (37)
1 Bayou
1 Bojuka Bog
1 Command Tower
1 Fetid Heath
1 Gavony Township
1 Godless Shrine
1 Kor Haven
1 Krosan Verge
1 Marsh Flats
1 Mouth of Ronom
1 Murmuring Bosk
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Reflecting Pool
1 Savannah
1 Scrubland
5 Snow-Covered Forest
5 Snow-Covered Plains
4 Snow-Covered Swamp
1 Stirring Wildwood
1 Strip Mine
1 Temple Garden
1 Twilight Mire
1 Vault of the Archangel
1 Verdant Catacombs
1 Windswept Heath
1 Wooded Bastion

So basically I crammed every single planeswalker that fit into this color combination into the deck, even ones that didn't seem so good like Ajani Goldmane. The thought process was that Ghave could make blockers, and access to Green would give us Doubling Season and mana fixing. The majority of the planeswalkers in the deck make tokens, so really it's a slower version of a token deck.

The deck actually did pretty good, and even the "bad" planeswalkers pulled their weight. One of the weaknesses was to fliers, which could get over my tokens and hit my planeswalkers directly. Still, it was different and fun for me.

Want to see how it worked? Check it out here: http://puremtgo.com/articles/conqueror- ... neswalkers

Comments or questions let me know!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Ghave, Guru of Planeswalkers (with vids)
AgePosted: 2014-Jan-08 12:27 pm 

You know, I'm almost wondering if Collective Blessing or True Conviction might be better than Selesnya Guildmage. As much search for enchantments as you currently have, and as little mana as I'm usually tempted to dump into the Guildmage, I feel like they'd work better for you. Their initial input is rough, I suppose; however, they tend to close games out very quickly in token-based decks.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-08 5:15 pm 

Yeah, I think that if I had a stronger focus on making a mass amount of tokens all at once, then something like Collective Blessing would be more worthwhile. As it is, the Guildmage is cheap and sort of an expensive mana sink. I'm thinking that Contagion Clasp might be a little better, since it'll help out the planeswalkers, and also does well with +1/+1 counters.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-11 1:07 am 

Tarasco wrote:
Yeah, I think that if I had a stronger focus on making a mass amount of tokens all at once, then something like Collective Blessing would be more worthwhile. As it is, the Guildmage is cheap and sort of an expensive mana sink. I'm thinking that Contagion Clasp might be a little better, since it'll help out the planeswalkers, and also does well with +1/+1 counters.

You're probably right about Contagion Clasp, although I could see a good argument for Contagion Engine. I did just notice you aren't rocking Rings of Brighthearth--just a mistake? With planeswalkers, it should be amazing and is an excellent mana sink.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-24 4:36 pm 

Segrus wrote:
Tarasco wrote:

You're probably right about Contagion Clasp, although I could see a good argument for Contagion Engine. I did just notice you aren't rocking Rings of Brighthearth--just a mistake? With planeswalkers, it should be amazing and is an excellent mana sink.

Just ran out of room. Rings is probably worth it though.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-26 1:20 pm 

Gotta say, with that general, you are probably better off with Fertilid then with those other mana ramp guys... plus just using his abilities you can draw alot more cards with Fecundity then you could with the arena. Plus if you are putting out tokens, where is Parallel Lives?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-26 2:19 pm 

Rasalom wrote:
Gotta say, with that general, you are probably better off with Fertilid then with those other mana ramp guys... plus just using his abilities you can draw alot more cards with Fecundity then you could with the arena. Plus if you are putting out tokens, where is Parallel Lives?

Completely missed Fertilid. You're right about him. I would probably take out Wood Elves for this guy.

As for Parallel Lives, if the deck was more focused on making tokens I would add it. As it is, the tokens are sort of a byproduct of playing with these planeswalkers. Doubling Season obviously helps both. If I was running more mass token makers than just Martial Coup I would add it. But as it is, there are too many games where I'm not producing tokens to make Parallel Lives worth the slot, at least in my opinion. Just check out the games in the link to see what I mean.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-27 1:27 pm 

Can't watch the vid right now, but Parallel Lives does 2 great things for you with this deck. It draws removal out a turn before you can play your general or Doubling Season (which is really the one you want to stick around), and it turns the small amout of token generation into card draw/ land fetch/ creature pump/ re-persist, etc. If you are at any time making a 1/1 for any reason, there is very few situations where having another one come into play wouldn't be better.

Offline Profile