Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-20 8:29 am

Post subject: Ghave, Guru of Spores - Decklist by ExplodingLobster
AgePosted: 2013-Dec-29 5:42 am 

This is my take of Ghave, Guru of Spores. No infinite combos is the only real restriction I put on myself when making this deck.

First things first, the decklist:
Commander:

Ghave, Guru of Spores

Creatures:

Blood Artist
Bloodflow Connoisseur
Bloodline Keeper
Burnished Hart
Corpsejack Menace
Creakwood Liege
Essence Warden
Eternal Witness
Falkenrath Noble
Fell Shepherd
Fertilid
Geralf's Messenger
Grave Titan
Hua Tuo, Honored Physician
Kalonian Hydra
Master of the Wild Hunt
Mirror Entity
Mycoloth
Oracle of Mul Daya
Rampaging Baloths
Requiem Angel
Sakura-Tribe Elder
Savra, Queen of the Golgari
Scavenging Ooze
Seedborn Muse
Sun Titan
Teysa, Orzhov Scion
Triskelavus
Twilight Drover
Verdant Force
Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter
Yavimaya Elder

Planeswalkers:

Elspeth, Sun's Champion
Garruk Wildspeaker
Sorin, Lord of Innistrad

Artifacts:

Akroma's Memorial
Blade of the Bloodchief
Elixir of Immortality
Illusionist's Bracers
Lightning Greaves
Skullclamp
Wayfarer's Bauble

Enchantments:

Aura Shards
Awakening Zone
Beastmaster Ascension
Cathars' Crusade
Death's Presence
Fecundity
Martyr's Bond
Parallel Lives
Primal Vigor
True Conviction

Instants:

Beast Within
Fresh Meat
Mortify
Putrefy
Ready / Willing
White Sun's Zenith

Sorcery:

Phyrexian Rebirth
Plague Wind
Primal Command
Storm Herd

Lands:

Bojuka Bog
Cavern of Souls
Command Tower
Evolving Wilds
5 Forest
Gavony Township
Godless Shrine
Golgari Rot Farm
Grasslands
Isolated Chapel
Khalni Garden
Krosan Verge
Llanowar Reborn
Opal Palace
Oran-Rief, the Vastwood
Orzhov Basilica
Overgrown Tomb
3 Plains
Reliquary Tower
Saltcrusted Steppe
Selesnya Sanctuary
Sunpetal Grove
4 Swamp
Temple Garden
Terramorphic Expanse
Vault of the Archangel
Woodland Cemetery

I've added both Hua Tuo, Honored Physician and Fell Shepherd with the release of the Commander 2013 set, and they are still being tested.

There is a slight Vampire tribal subtheme, but really, all of the vampire cards are rather powerful even on their own.

As for a few of the many cool synergies that exist in the deck:

Ghave, Guru of Spores + Geralf's Messenger
Fertilid + Cathars' Crusade + Rampaging Baloths
Ghave, Guru of Spores + Blade of the Bloodchief

There are many things like this, and they all stack on top of each other Wonderfully.

If you feel like suggesting any cards let me know, and I'll let you know if I have tried them in the deck previously. I have had this deck for around 2 years now, and it has gone through many iterations. Just keep in mind, I don't want any infinite combos in the deck.

Ghave, Guru of Spores - All the little engines working in harmony!
Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind - Hand Cycling for one and all!
Bosh, Iron Golem - Make big rocks. Throw those rocks.
Teysa, Envoy of Ghosts - The extortion racket
Wort, Boggart Auntie - Goblin Tribal

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Ghave, Guru of Spores - Decklist by ExplodingLobster
AgePosted: 2013-Dec-31 9:19 am 

You can also add Strangleroot Giest and Ashnod's alter or Phyrexian alter and go infinate tokens that way or just kill them with the Messanger.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-31 6:59 pm 

No Eldrazi Monument, or Grave Pact?

Some useful creatures in one of my Ghave, Guru of Spores decks (the other is merely saproling tribal) I've had good use for are:

Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder
Geist-Honored Monk
Hero of Bladehold
Juniper Order Ranger
Kessig Cagebreakers
Mikaeus, the Unhallowed
Ogre Slumlord
Oona's Blackguard
Skirsdag High Priest
Stormfront Riders
Voice of Resurgence
Wurmcoil Engine

and of course the instant Corpse Dance.

I'm not sure that casting Ghave, Guru of Spores from the command zone with Opal Palace works to your advantage...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-01 8:34 am 

ivellios86 wrote:
You can also add Strangleroot Giest and Ashnod's alter or Phyrexian alter and go infinate tokens that way or just kill them with the Messanger.

As I mentioned in the post, I don't want any infinite combos in the deck.

green slime wrote:
No Eldrazi Monument, or Grave Pact?

Some useful creatures in one of my Ghave, Guru of Spores decks (the other is merely saproling tribal) I've had good use for are:

Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder
Geist-Honored Monk
Hero of Bladehold
Juniper Order Ranger
Kessig Cagebreakers
Mikaeus, the Unhallowed
Ogre Slumlord
Oona's Blackguard
Skirsdag High Priest
Stormfront Riders
Voice of Resurgence
Wurmcoil Engine

and of course the instant Corpse Dance.

I'm not sure that casting Ghave, Guru of Spores from the command zone with Opal Palace works to your advantage...

Eldrazi Monument and Grave Pact both used to be in the deck. Grave Pact turned into Martyr's Bond and Eldrazi Monument became Akroma's Memorial.

I've toyed with the idea of Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder but couldn't decide what to cut. If Hua Tuo, Honored Physician doesn't end up performing, he may take that slot.

Geist-Honored Monk and Skirsdag High Priest used to be in the deck, but were cut for more powerful cards. I don't remember which ones specifically though.

Juniper Order Ranger was cut for Cathars' Crusade, but I may add him back in, as redundancy of that effect is super powerful.

Kessig Cage Breakers got the axe for Master of the Wild Hunt. So far, I have been very happy with the swap.

I had Voice of Resurgence in the deck for a while, but it never really lived up to my expectations of it. It might make it back in some day, if I ever add in ways to abuse the power of the token.

I never really have a need to attack my opponents hands, so Oona's Blackguard just feels mean, and would probably draw the ire of the table.

Stormfront Riders took to much work to get going to the point of being useful, so I cut it.

Wurmcoil Engine and Hero of Bladehold are both cards I have never owned, but if I get my hands on them, they would most likely make it into the deck.

I sort of forgot about Mikaeus, the Unhallowed. He never made it into the deck to begin with, as I used to run Triskelion, and didn't want that combo in the deck. Zikaeus might make it into the deck now though, since that is no longer an issue.

Ogre Slumlord feels worse than Requiem Angel. Granted, that is a pretty high bar to be compared to, I just don't know what I would cut for the rat lord. Possibly he is another card gunning for Hua Tuo, Honored Physician's slot.

As for Opal Palace, I have actually been very impressed with it. More counters on Ghave is always good, especially if I don't have any fodder to feed to him when he comes down.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-01 12:59 pm 

Requiem Angel only looks at your creatures. She's nice, and she is included in mine, but I'd rank her below Ogre Slumlord and his army of deathtouching rats. People will hesitate before attacking into deathtouching tokens that are going to spawn more tokens for you

Ogre Slumlord spawns rats when any other non-token creature dies on the board. Skirsdag will even create a 5/5 (assuming you have enough on the board to tap), when an opponent sacs a token. They all help combat enemy grave pacts, and other green/black you-sac-a-creature shenanigans.

Much rather have Dark Mike than Triskelion (vulnerable to both creature and artefact removal), especially in a Ghave deck. He keeps the hard cast critters around, and combos so well with Ghave. Dark Mike is why I include Voice of Resurgence. I also include Genesis, Masked Admirers, and Volrath's Stonghold.

The white bouncers help with Eternal Witness, and keep Aura Shards relevant, but there is also Fleshbag Marauder, Acidic Slime, Wall of Blossoms, Wood Elves, ...

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-01 1:04 pm 

ExplodingLobster wrote:
As for Opal Palace, I have actually been very impressed with it. More counters on Ghave is always good, especially if I don't have any fodder to feed to him when he comes down.

Doesn't Opal Palace replace the 5 +1/+1 counters with a number equal to number of times Ghave has been cast from the Command Zone?

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-03 1:18 am 

green slime wrote:
Requiem Angel only looks at your creatures. She's nice, and she is included in mine, but I'd rank her below Ogre Slumlord and his army of deathtouching rats. People will hesitate before attacking into deathtouching tokens that are going to spawn more tokens for you

Ogre Slumlord spawns rats when any other non-token creature dies on the board. Skirsdag will even create a 5/5 (assuming you have enough on the board to tap), when an opponent sacs a token. They all help combat enemy grave pacts, and other green/black you-sac-a-creature shenanigans.

Much rather have Dark Mike than Triskelion (vulnerable to both creature and artefact removal), especially in a Ghave deck. He keeps the hard cast critters around, and combos so well with Ghave. Dark Mike is why I include Voice of Resurgence. I also include Genesis, Masked Admirers, and Volrath's Stonghold.

The white bouncers help with Eternal Witness, and keep Aura Shards relevant, but there is also Fleshbag Marauder, Acidic Slime, Wall of Blossoms, Wood Elves, ...

Forgot that Ogre Slumlord sees everyone's creatures. That probably warrants him a spot on the list.

Skirsdag High Priest is definitely good, and he won me many games, but I just felt like trying new cards, and he was the one that hit the road.

Mikaues is probably going into the deck when I get my hands on one, and when I do, I will definitely test out some of those cards you suggested. Thanks for the Comments!

Oh, and I didn't read Opal Palace that way, did you see a ruling somewhere that comfirms that? Because if that is the case, it is definitely not good enough.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-03 1:42 am 

ExplodingLobster wrote:
Oh, and I didn't read Opal Palace that way, did you see a ruling somewhere that comfirms that? Because if that is the case, it is definitely not good enough.

No, but I could just envision the arguments to that effect, that I couldn't be bothered and cut the card.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-07 9:19 am 

Opal Palace wouldn't replace the counters Ghave would come in with to begin with it would add an additional as it shows here http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/ct/269

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Jan-08 3:39 pm 

ivellios86 wrote:
Opal Palace wouldn't replace the counters Ghave would come in with to begin with it would add an additional as it shows here http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/a ... ily/ct/269

Thanks!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-26 1:32 pm 

Um... why no Doubling Season? Plus, seeing as you are in the correct colors, why not run the persist guys in green and black? I hear they are good. Then there is also kaeus, the Lunarch. He could be fun for your deck.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-27 10:14 am 

Acroma's memorial gives creatures protection from black. That means you cannot target your creatures with over half of your creature abilities. You cannot use Ghave to put counters on and so forth.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2014-Feb-28 12:52 pm 

Snooligan wrote:
Acroma's memorial gives creatures protection from black. That means you cannot target your creatures with over half of your creature abilities. You cannot use Ghave to put counters on and so forth.

Agreed.. but do you always have that out? I would assume no.. but if so.. can I play in your playgroup?

Offline Profile