Login | Register

All times are UTC - 7 hours

It is currently 2019-Nov-18 10:08 am

Post subject: "No Quarters" or "So Long, and Thanks for All the Flips"
AgePosted: 2013-Dec-26 9:13 am 

I felt like channeling some Rocky and Bullwinkle. Anyway, on to the deck!

General:
Melek, Izzet Paragon

Artifacts:
Bottle of Suleiman
Crooked Scales
Goblin Lyre
Izzet Signet
Krark's Thumb
Mana Crypt
Sorcerer's Strongbox
Wirefly Hive

Artifact Creatures:
Creepy Doll
Skyclaw Thrash
Volatile Rig

Creatures:
Chaotic Goo
Crazed Firecat
Fickle Efreet
Frenetic Efreet
Frenetic Sliver
Goblin Archaeologist
Goblin Artisans
Goblin Assassin
Goblin Bangchuckers
Goblin Psychopath
Goblin Test Pilot
Izzet Guildmage
Karplusan Minotaur
Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
Krenko, Mob Boss
Mijae Djinn
Mogg Assassin
Molten Sentry
Nivix Guildmage
Orcish Captain
Scoria Wurm
Skittish Valesk
Viashino Sandswimmer
Wild Wurm
Ydwen Efreet

Enchantments:
Chance Encounter
Goblin Bomb
Goblin Festival
Goblin Kites
Impulsive Maneuvers
Paradox Haze
Planar Chaos
Risky Move
Tide of War

Instants:
Aleatory
Chaotic Strike
Counterflux
Counterspell
Desperate Gambit
Fighting Chance
Final Fortune
Fork
Long-Term Plans
Puppet's Verdict
Twincast

Sorceries:
Fabricate
Fiery Gambit
Gamble
Game of Chaos
Goblin Game
Mana Clash
Molten Birth
Squee's Revenge
Stitch in Time
Winter Sky

Planeswalkers:
Chandra Ablaze
Ral Zarek
Tezzeret the Seeker

Lands:
Cascade Bluffs
Izzet Boilerworks
Izzet Guildgate
Nivix, Aerie of the Firemind
Scalding Tarn
Shivan Reef
Steam Vents
Sulfur Falls
Island x 9
Mountain x 13

The Plan:
The whole purpose of this deck is to flip coins, win or lose.

Needs Work:
It is too R heavy. I'd like to fit in some more counter to both have more counter and to even the colors out a bit. Still need several more of the non-basics. Ramp would help too. Goblin Assassin + Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker + Krenko, Mob Boss = lulz. Nothing that flips coins, or deals with flipping coins is coming out, so don't bother to suggest it.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: "No Quarters" or "So Long, and Thanks for All the Flips"
AgePosted: 2013-Dec-26 11:47 am 

Hello
For ramp you can add the usual Sol Ring, Chromatic Lantern, Darksteel Ingot, and Gilded Lotus. They help with colors too.

Desolate Lighthouse is a good land for digging when you don't have anything else to do.

Is Chandra Ablaze in for a specific reason? If not she could be replaced. She isn't that great. She costs 6 and doesn't do anything spectacular even when she is in play. Her ultimate ability is good but you need to be winning already in order to make her stay on the field long enough to use it anyways.

You said not to recommend taking out coin flipping cards but Orcish Captain can only target itself in your deck and will end up killing itself if you make it flip coins. It doesn't seem very useful or exciting. In fact it really does nothing at all because a 3/1 vanilla for 1 still isn't impressive in EDH even if you win the coin flip.

Too get more coin flipping you could add in some recursion to get back your other coin flipping spells. Archaeomancer and Mnemonic Wall are pretty good at that.

It might be worth adding black for Tavern Swindler if you aren't too attached to Melek. You'll also get access to a bunch of tutors to get Krark's Thumb or a win condition. There are a few good Grixis commanders you could choose from.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-26 12:13 pm 

I actually have meant to add a Sol Ring, just haven't gotten around to doing so. The Lantern and Ingot I don't like running in only two color decks, but I may consider the Lotus. Maybe a Mana Vault or some other mana rocks.

Yeah, I think I'll probably add the Lighthouse too.

Chandra is in there solely for her ultimate. I may consider dropping her if space does become too much of an issue.

Orcish Captain has actually won me the game (as the 10th successful coin flip for Chance Encounter), but yeah I understand he is a horrible card. Think not of what his ability does but rather the opportunity to flip a coin. And what I said earlier still stands; he's not going anywhere! :lol:

The Mancer and wall are on the same level as Izzet Chronarch and Anarchist, and they aren't in the deck. I considered them but they didn't make the cut. I may consider something like Past in Flames or the like, but it is why I have Chandra in the deck. I may have to do some more thinking on the recursion issue.

I do want to keep it U/R, so adding black is out.

Keep up the good suggestions!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-26 1:13 pm 

Needs more Radiate so when you cast a targeted coin flip card (especially Fiery Gambit) you can copy it for every legal target. Lots of coin flipping going on.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-26 2:19 pm 

I would consider Rings of Brighthearth and Fabricate and maybe more fetches to go with the rings.

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-27 12:22 am 

I'll just leave this here ...

On another note, it seems that your artifacts are either sacrificed as part of the effect (Sorcerer's Strongbox, Bottle of Suleiman, ...) or become BIG targets in your deck -> Krark's Thumb ofcourse. I would suggest adding some form of recursion if you want to abuse them harder:
Argivian Restoration works well with melek
Buried Ruin as a land
Trading Post for utility when your creatures are already going to die after a bad flip

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-27 1:39 am 

Radiate has too few targets to work with in the deck itself, but I may put it in just on the off chance for Fiery Gambit. That is just too awesome.

Fabricate is in the deck already, but the Rings seems like a good addition. I'll throw it in.

LOL @ Goblin Bookie. There are several Un-cards I would love to run, but it isn't going to happen. You're right about the Artifact recursion, but I think I'm going to go with something simpler: Academy Ruins. Maybe the Trading Post as well.

Thanks so far guys!

Offline Profile  

AgePosted: 2013-Dec-29 12:34 pm 

I've been kicking around the idea of building a deck like this for a while, though I've been leaning toward Grixis colors for a few extra cards with flip effects & a few good tutors.

Evil_Lamp_6 wrote:
Fabricate is in the deck already, but the Rings seems like a good addition. I'll throw it in.

You might also want Strionic Resonator. There's plenty of upkeep-triggered flips you can copy.

"The President's job - and if someone sufficiently vain and stupid is picked he won't realize this - is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it." -- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide tot he Galaxy Radio Transcripts predicting the future.

Offline Profile