Post subject: Sol'kanar, Swamp Merchant
AgePosted: 2013-Dec-12 5:30 am 

Deck name: “Sol'kanar, Swamp Merchant”

Commander: Sol'kanar the Swamp King

Colours: Blue/Black/Red

Theme/s: Gaining life, paying life, Swampwalk

Primary Win Condition/s: Attacking with creatures,

Secondary Win Condition/s: Life loss, Commander damage

Budget: Not much more. I've purchased all of the cards already seen here but I wouldn't be too adverse to buying cards that weren't too expensive.

Playgroup: My playgroup is a very casual kitchen-table style with up to five opponents. We don’t use Eldrazi (for fear of mutual deck escalation) or many infinite combos (usually because no-one owns the right cards to do so). I generally play against any or all of the following decks:
Player 1: mono-Green goodstuff/ mono-Red Chandler artifact creature destruction+Intimidate, White/Black/Red Kaalia of the Vast Angel tribal deck, Green/Blue/Red Riku of Two Reflections pre-con from Commander 2011
Player 2: Grixis “steal stuff”/mono-Green Omnath, Locus of Mana ramp
Player 3: Bant Rubinia Soulsinger “Tim” deck/Selesnya Gabriel Angelfire Banding deck
Player 4: Gruul Ruric Thar, the Unbowed creatures
Player 5: Yet to build an EDH deck :-(

"Welcome, welcome, welcome! It's always nice to see new faces here at Honest Sol's Swamp Dealership. What can I interest you in today? Perhaps a lovely marsh, suitable for entertaining the ladies? If not, then how about a pleasant bog, barely used? No? Ah, then I see you're more of a discerning buyer. Perhaps you'd be interested in this top-of-the-line fen with all of the accessories? Still no? Well, then, I'm sure I can be more accommodating than that..."

Welcome to my latest EDH deck. I'm going to use this thread to keep a log of the changes that I make to this deck, including when I get the chance to buy cards for it (if necessary).

This deck is based around "Honest" Sol'kanar the Swamp King, purveyor of marshes, sloughs, mires, and swamps of all descriptions. Regardless of whether you want a Swamp or not, he'll sell you one, then use it to let his friends trample all over you. In the mean time, you'll find his patter so convincing that you can't help but hand over your life.

The core of the deck is Sol'kanar, a whole host of other Swampwalkers, and spells that turn your opponents' lands into Swamps. Most of the creatures in the deck have Swampwalk and for those that don't there are a couple of Swampwalk-granting cards too.

On top of that, Sol'kanar has the rather nice ability to gain you life with every Black spell cast. This deck takes advantage of that by loading up on Black spells (as well as multicolour spells with Black in them) as well as a whole load of effects that either let you spend life or affect everyone at the table equally (but with your enhanced life total you'll be sitting pretty as your opponents' life totals drain away to nothing).

The Boss
Sol'kanar the Swamp King - the Commander

The Managers
Filth
Restless Bones
Zombie Master
Zombie Trailblazer

These guys are mostly there to inspire and support the others. They help grant Swampwalk to anyone who needs it without necessarily getting their own hands dirty (just like managers in general). Zombie Trailblazer doubles as a card that lets you turn your opponents' lands into Swamps.

Sales Personnel
Blistergrub
Bog Wraith
Lost Soul
Quag Vampires
Sewer Shambler
Sheoldred, Whispering One
Street Wraith
Whispering Shade
Wrexial, the Risen Deep

Sol'kanar's sales team are those creatures in the deck who have Swampwalk naturally. There are a wide variety of abilities available here with varying CMCs so I should have access to Swampwalk consistently throughout the game.

Blanket of Night
Contaminated Ground
Convincing Mirage
Evil Presence
Moonbow Illusionist
Orcish Farmer
Phantasmal Terrain
Sea Snidd
Tainted Well
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

These are the cards that will turn the opponents' lands into Swamps so that the Swampwalkers can waltz on through unmolested. Blanket of Night and Urborg, Tomb of Yagmoth are global effects that affect all lands, but the others have the chance to deny my opponents their mana (or special lands).

Funeral Charm
Leshrac's Rite

In a pinch, these two cards can be used to grant one of the non-Swampwalkers that ability.

Ancient Craving
Basilica Screecher
Blood Tithe
Blood Tyrant
Bloodletter Quill
Chancellor of the Dross
Crypt Ghast
Death of a Thousand Stings
Harrowing Journey
Imp's Mischief
Moroii
Pestilence
Phyrexian Arena
Phyrexian Gargantua
Plague of Vermin
Polluted Bonds
Pontiff of Blight
Promise of Power
Pyrohemia
Read the Bones
Seizan, Perverter of Truth
Sign in Blood (full art version, thanks to my Grixmas Secret Santa)
Slaughter
Syndicate Enforcer
Thrull Parasite
Underworld Connections
Unspeakable Symbol
Urza's Guilt

These are all cards that take advantage of the fact that, thanks to Sol'kanar and a few other cards in the deck, I should have a higher life total than my opponents. They let me spend those extra life points or to take life from everyone (including myself) which should leave me at an advantage.

There are a large number of cards that let me draw in this group, so Death of a Thousand Stings seems like a reasonable card to use (and grants me even more life to use even more of those cards).

I'm not sure whether I want to keep the Extort creatures in; Extort seems like a too readily available source of damage to all opponents so I can't help but feel that it might make me a target. If I do get rid of them then I'll be keeping the Crypt Ghast in since he doubles almost all of my mana.

Baleful Strix
Igneous Pouncer
Jhessian Zombies

Generally useful creatures that are Black (so trigger Sol'kanar's ability). The latter two are because of the small amount of Blue and Red mana needed in the deck so Islandcycling and Mountaincycling might be quite important.

Corrupt (full art version, thanks to my Grixmas Secret Santa)
Mutilate
Quag Sickness

Cards that take advantage of the large number of Swamps in the deck, especially with Blanket of Night or Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth on the table.

Armillary Sphere
Gem of Becoming

Again, more tutoring for the Blue and Red mana that I don't have many sources of.

Blood Crypt
Watery Grave
Dragonskull Summit
Drowned Catacomb
Evolving Wilds
Grixis Panorama
Terramorphic Expanse
Cabal Coffers
Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
Thespian's Stage
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth (this card is mentioned above as well, but since this is the land list I thought it best to repeat it here)
Island x 4
Mountain x 4
Swamp x 21

40 lands here, with only a smattering of non-Black producing lands (due to the extremely Black-heavy mana requirements of the deck). I've only included the two Shock Lands that could go in this deck that are also Swamps, as well as the associated Check Lands (or Friend Lands, whatever the M10-M13 lands are called). There are some tutors for basic Islands and Mountains, as well as several mana doublers and generally useful lands.

I'm pretty sure that I'm over by a card or two (not counting the fact that I've written in Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth twice) so if someone could check the numbers that would be greatly appreciated. As would any other advice on the deck.

Putrid Pirate Proliferation
Lord of Voltronhorn
Unlife of the Party
Jaya Ballard, Discard Mage
Zedruu and the Minotaurs
Vish Kal's ManSlaughterhouse
Izzet Any Good?

Chorus of Counters

Last edited by Masked Thespian on 2013-Dec-12 5:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Sol'kanar, Swamp Merchant
AgePosted: 2013-Dec-12 5:30 am 

Reserved for changes and for overflow, if necessary.

Changelog

12/12/13: Deck posted

Putrid Pirate Proliferation
Lord of Voltronhorn
Unlife of the Party
Jaya Ballard, Discard Mage
Zedruu and the Minotaurs
Vish Kal's ManSlaughterhouse
Izzet Any Good?

Chorus of Counters

Offline Profile